[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does one increase their mental capacity? I already meditate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1424234980641.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3600) Image search: [Google]
1424234980641.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3600
how does one increase their mental capacity? I already meditate and read on a daily basis, lift heavy 3 times a week and cardio on other days. I also do basic yoga daily. The rest of the time is spent on studying math and physics. I do still seem to have a lot of free time and want to become more efficient at thinking, what are your ideas /x/? drugs?
>>
Maybe you should get a job
>>
>>17031049
>how does one increase their mental capacity?
>what are your ideas /x/? drugs?

Go back to /b/ you retard.
>>
>>17031049
>increase your mental capacity

>meditate
>lift
>yoga
>drugs

Is this guy for real?
>>
>how does one increase their mental capacity?

Read 4chan for hours a day.
>>
>>17031049
Memorization is not really thinking. It doesn't develop the ability to interpret things or come up with new ideas. I think it's intentional our schools aren't teaching people to think for themselves.

>>17031119
Exercise and meditation are great for neurogenesis.
>>
>>17031049
Can you define mental capacity?
What specifically are you trying to achieve?
>>
>>17031067
i work half time, i'm on my 2nd year of master's in EE
>>
LSD is something you're obviously considering. I think people like yourself get the most out of it. May want to give it a try sometime in a controlled and safe environment.
>>
>>17031142
Actually would be some fields of math or physics that develop interpretation. Damn absolutes.
>>
>>17031157
i've done acid a few times but i've really forgot most about it and deep web is really monitored in my country so i can't get anything
>>
>lsd makes me smart!

I was going to post serious answers, and then I realized you were a faggot
>>
>>17031049
Not drugs, no. Drugs will shift your perspective but they won't expand your consciousness. They can help in a pinch, but life in general isn't a pinch, which is where it sounds like you are right now.

Don't think in terms of mastering anything. It sounds like you can train yourself well enough to accomplish any task, but the act/art of training is its own deal apart from cognitive acuity. If you want to increase you cognitive acuity, you need a special kind of trained designed for that task specifically.

Personally, I LOVE to think. Thought is one of the top ten most amazing things I've ever experienced. I love to learn, and grow, and make new things and ideas. I like to think for the sake of thinking, if only because I have time to think at all. I like to put myself in new and different environments whenever I can precisely because it offers an opportunity for me to think new types of thoughts. It always feels so amazing when I meet an entirely new thing.

I'll add this thread to my watch list. If you're still around to take this seriously, let me know. I have a ton to say about this.
>>
File: tourist.jpg (195 KB, 1200x951) Image search: [Google]
tourist.jpg
195 KB, 1200x951
What great about drugs as a path to enlightenment is any fuckin' retard can do it. No reading books with big words in them, no studying with a master or a group, no treks to far off places, no need to even understand what the hell you're doing -- just ingest some shit someone stirred up in their home lab.
>>
>>17031443
The scientific breakthroughs made on LSD would probably blow your mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman
>>
>>17031892
Another list, suspiciously without Feynman. Just ignore the stimulant users.

http://io9.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs
>>
>>17031875
Side note- Duane Hanson is an awesome sculptor. Saw an exhibit of his once, when you walk into a room you can't tell who's an observer and what's an art piece.
Plus the guy died from all of those chemicals he used making that stuff. So awesome.
>>
>>17031049
I would personally recommend cognitive thinking games like puzzles.
>>
File: Brain Activity.gif (2 MB, 640x290) Image search: [Google]
Brain Activity.gif
2 MB, 640x290
There are various aspects of mental capacity that you can exercise in order to increase your brains efficiency. For the purpose of this discussion I will break the mind into two parts: the conscious and the unconscious.

To start, since drugs have been mentioned, while it is true that taking drugs certainly doesn't make you smarter, they do activate neural pathways that otherwise would never become active during your life. These newly formed pathways allow the brain to process information in new ways which is key to intellectual growth. (Remember to always use in moderation!)

So for the conscious you have memory, problem solving, and processing speed.

To exercise processing speed you simply have to read frequently. Any time you're a passenger in a moving vehicle try to type down on your phone the words on every sign you see! This will increase your texting speed as well as memory retention and processing power. Also engaging in highly versatile activities like an obstacle course will increase processing speed as well.

To exercise memory, memorization games are the best. Also try to memorize your favorite quotes or theories; things that matter to you. (The best way to memorize lots of information related to one topic is to associate non physical concepts with physical places. This creates a mental map that allows for hyper efficient memory recall).

To exercise problem solving take lots of IQ tests of every kind and talk to people (with concern)! Everyone has a unique situation that requires a unique solution.
>>
File: Neurons.jpg (8 KB, 285x177) Image search: [Google]
Neurons.jpg
8 KB, 285x177
For the unconscious...

One of the primary functions of the unconscious is recalling data for use. More specifically the storage of data to be used at a later time. In the brain this equates to patterns of neural firing. As you preform a task like reading or play a memory game your brain falls into a pattern of neural firing. What is very important to note is that in order for you to gain anything from an activity you have to keep at (for an excess of at least 40 minutes or every day) in order to allow long term potentiation to occur.

To increase the efficiency of the unconscious its important to engage in physical activity throughout the day. Playing a sport or practicing a particular skill - using the body in a physical way (as the reason we have brains is because of movement). That way, at night when activation-synthesis kicks in, the bodies recalls and activates the pathways you were using throughout the day and subsequently this strengthens them.

An excellent way to strengthen the unconscious is to practice juggling. This activity really lights up the brain!
>>
>>17031875
The average person just wants to take a pill to be smart and that is fucking stupid. A side effect of our modern culture.

If people are already intelligent it can be interesting, though.
>>
File: 1356886718511.png (470 KB, 1310x2779) Image search: [Google]
1356886718511.png
470 KB, 1310x2779
>>17031862
>>
>>17032124
Yeah, i miss my exercise machine. I do short exercises like pushups to try and make up but you never get a good long cardio workout with those.
>>
>>17032154

>yawns
>>
>>17032163

I should have mentioned that complex physical activity is important like juggling, parkour, or balance training. Running and lifting weights would be examples of physical activity on the lowest end of the spectrum.
>>
>>17031049
Try studying Philosophy. Overall philosophy is about arguments, Philosophic papers and books are like logic puzzles. Understanding amounts to how much effort you put in something and how willing you are to view something from another perspective.

It'll increase your analytical ability and probably make you better at what you want to do in life because of that increased analytical ability.
>>
File: The Thinking Man.jpg (49 KB, 459x600) Image search: [Google]
The Thinking Man.jpg
49 KB, 459x600
>>17032191

Philosophy, (otherwise known as the organization of information pertaining to any given field or topic), requires the individual to assume a certain mentality about the nature of existence. This mentality includes openness to experience which is a trait that is highly sought after throughout the world.

Studying philosophers like Camus, Sartre, Nietzsche, Aristotle; writings that pertain to the nature of existence (and the order of things so to speak) has the potential to greatly increase your logic and reasoning skills.

Logic and reasoning are also valued highly throughout the world yet despite this, these philosophical ideas have little application beyond their basic organizational structure of things and will ultimately lead you to have an existential crisis.

To increase the efficiency of your brain, constructive tasks that require the immediate callback of memory, spacial awareness, and mathematical (processing) skills will do the trick.
>>
>>17032220
>Logic and reasoning are also valued highly throughout the world yet despite this, these philosophical ideas have little application beyond their basic organizational structure of things
Disagree in the idea that sharpening your logic and reasoning skills will allow you better understanding in endeavors outside of the philosophic realm. The straight up philosophies may not have much practical application though. Hell, if I'm remembering correctly Sartre actually says that a decision is meaningless until you ascribe meaning to it, and that no philosophic rules will tell you a good answer to your everyday problems.

>and will ultimately lead you to have an existential crisis.
No pain no gain. Start with existentialism, get the crisis early.
>>
File: The Fine Print.jpg (161 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
The Fine Print.jpg
161 KB, 650x350
>>17032244

You are not arguing against the spectrum of applicability. Instead you are simply saying that practice makes perfect. While what you are saying is true, it does not prove that the grandiose philosophical ideals of the philosophers can be used in every day life beyond minding their suggested organization of things.

Just as you said and worded in such a fantastically modern way, "Straight up philosophy may not have much practical application."

So it seems there was never a disagreement in the first place. You just felt you had to defend something.

:)
>>
>>17032263
>You just felt you had to defend something.
Literally have zero reason to believe anything you said.
>>
>>17032244

Erm... It sounds to me like you are saying that logic and reasoning doesn't have much application in the real world? If that is what you meant, allow me to refute.

Every day when we decided to preform an action that branches out beyond the daily routine we apply reasoning (especially when trying to solve a problem) and the way we come to the most optimal answer or decision is by applying logic.

There you have an all encompassing real world application of logic and reasoning.
>>
>>17032272
>Every day
>beyond the daily routine
You're not making a good case for yourself.
>>
>>17032244

"Philosophic rules" as you call them is the substance beyond the basic organizational structure of any given philosophy. The "meat" as it were.

These philisophical rules are precisely what I am referring to when I say that philosophy has little real world application.

However the organizational structure of these philosophies, the principles of existence which are expounded upon: are what can be contemplated constructively and have application in day to day life.
>>
>>17032263
Not quite

in >>17032220 the sentence
>Logic and reasoning are also valued highly throughout the world yet despite this, these philosophical ideas have little application beyond their basic organizational structure of things
When left alone is a discouragement to not study something as it wouldn't have practical use. However in >>17032244 I make sure to say that while the philosophies may not have practical use, the sharpening of logic and reason will allow better understanding of things outside philosophic realm. There was a disagreement between us in that I saw a deterrent meaning in that one line.

>>17032272
Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but I do not say logic and reason aren't applicable, just that philosophies themselves may not be applicable. Learning philosophies will help sharpen logic and reason. Logic and reason may then be applied easier to things outside of philosophy.

>>17032286
... I.... yes. Logic and reason sharpening, very applicable to day to day life.

I feel like we're saying more about this than we need to at this point.
>>
>>17032278

So my argument is now flawed based on the fact that you dislike my choice of words? If you don't understand say so and I will clarify.

Logic and reasoning is always being applied throughout life. Since we are discussing what can be done to increase the efficiency of the brain we are turning to specifics that promote growth wherein I am arguing that training logic and reasoning is important but studying philosophy is not. The circumstances surrounding the application of logic and reasoning on a day to day basis (are usually) not demanding enough to promote any kind of growth and simply maintain the status quot.
>>
>>17032286
Why are you lacing simple concepts up with many verbose reconstructions?

Most people would just say "logic" when they mean to refer to logic.
>>
>>17032296
>>17032278

Jesus Christ we are literally saying the same thing.
>>
>>17032296
>I feel like we're saying more about this than we need to at this point.
Note that they devoted an entire post to that. They aren't here to talk, they're here to verbosify.
>>
>>17032298
>If you don't understand
That's physically impossible, friend. Don't worry about my comprehension capacity.
>>
Goddamnit this is not philosophy class and I am not a philosopher. >>17032296

Taking a line that I said out of context and proving its discrepancy is really hindering this discussion. When I said "These philosophical ideas have little application..." I wasn't referring to the words Logic and Reasoning, i was referring ideas like god is dead.
>>
>>17032313
>really hindering this discussion
I was going to reply to this, but then:
>i was referring ideas like god is dead
You pulled something so far out of your ass that it can't possibly indicate a coherent thought process.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 442x121) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 442x121
>>17032302
um... I'm not that other guy. I've only posted 3 times total now

>>17032305
You're probably right.

>>17032313
You still lumped it in with the same thing, careless wording in things can end up with an unintended meaning
>>
>>17031892
correlation my poor retarded friend
>>
>>17032320

Instead of simply voicing your opinion (which I care not about) prove why your position is valid.

The idea of god being dead is a philosophical concept that has 0 real world applicability. This proves what I was saying about certain philosophies not having any real world value.

As to why its so hard for you to make that connection is beyond me.
>>
>>17032332
>which I care not about
If you don't care about my opinion, don't bother responding to me. The only thing you can possibly get from anyone is their opinion.
>>
>>17032332
>As to why its so hard for you to make that connection is beyond me.
Literally:
>I can't fathom how others are able to understand or not.
>>
>>17031081
>>17031119
>>17031443
>>17031875
+the others I'm too indifferent to quote:

Oh, fuck you and your fupa. Come back once you've peeled off the layers of dick cheese and moved out of your mother's trailer, no one takes you or your snaggle tooth seriously Professor Neckbeard-Chan.

>>17032244
This
>>
I wish to eat my hat.
Forgive me all anonymous viewers.

I poorly used a frequently misquoted phrase. "God is dead", as anyone who knows philosophy refers to morality which indeed does have real world consequence....
>>
>>17032347
>morality which indeed does have real world consequence.
I disagree.

I feel that my mere disagreement is sufficient to counter your argument, because you haven't stated one yet.
>>
>>17032336

How the fuck am I supposed to differentiate between individual anons
>>
>>17032353

Morality consists of guiding principles which all positive institutions of society adhere to. Such demonstrates the importance that society places on morality proving a real world consequence.
>>
>>17032354
>differentiate between individual anons
This is not the point of 4chan. I've been intentionally chiming in to disrupt your sense of identity with regard to the posts you're reading. If you're responding to your perception of the person behind the post rather than the content of the post, you're doing something that we have a name for here on 4chan.

It's called shitposting.
>>
>>17032336
>don't bother responding to me
implies individual response to any given post

>>17032361

Clearly you are serious and since I don't wish to be identified as someone who does such things as "shit posting" since something like that (for the record) is below me, I apologize if it sincerely seems that kind of action has been committed.
>>
>>17032372
Nobody gives a shit what you're sorry for here.

You either post good content consistently or you don't.
>>
>>17032361

At least I have the stomach to take responsibility for what I say in order to promote an identity that is open to experience and growth.
>>
>>17032381
>an identity that is open to experience and growth
Oh, trust me. You're 1000 years too early to make /x/ legitimately believe that about your cult.
>>
>>17032377

While some may perceive apology to be an admission of guilt, this is not the case. I did so because it is the right thing to do and because I take responsibility for the contents of my posting. I did not shitpost, therefore I have nothing to be sorry of.

>>17032377
There are so many examples of poor quality content on here that I am going to laugh to myself and leave this thread alone. Any more responses to me here that to not address the subject of the OP will be ignored.
>>
>>17032388
>some may perceive apology to be an admission of guilt, this is not the case
So, what. You're RPing a sociopath?
>>
>>17031862
Let me reiterate for OP's sake, in case OP is not a kill.

I'm watching this thread.
>>
Bump for OP.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.