[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aleistar Crowley
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
File: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (189 KB, 1084x1512) Image search: [Google]
Aleister_Crowley.jpg
189 KB, 1084x1512
So, what can you tell me about this man?

Who where his parents? Did any of his children survive? Was he really some kind of prophet or just a drug fiend who enjoyed crazy orgies? Is the Bush connection true?

Also general Crowley related thred.
>>
His short stories were pretty good. Testament of Magdelena Blair, I think thats what it was called, I liked that.

He claimed to have experienced revelation in Egypt, and wrote the Book of Law based on this. Book of Lies is kind of cryptic and more steeped in mysticism I think, I didn't make much sense of it. Not sure whether you're supposed to make sense of it or whether it was just deliberately confusing.
>>
File: aleister_ataturk2.jpg (148 KB, 666x845) Image search: [Google]
aleister_ataturk2.jpg
148 KB, 666x845
>>17876315
First his chosen name was Aleister not Aleistar.
>parents
Edward Crowley and Emily Bertha Crowley (Bishop), a homemaker and the inheritor of a brewing company, both Plymouth Brethren converts.

Astarte Lulu Panthea Crowley, aka Louise Shumway died of natural causes in 2014. She has a son who's an accomplished jazz pianist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C72XaWdESCw

Lola Zaza became Lola Hill. She died in 1990.

His son Randall Gair (pic related) passed in 2002.

>prophet
Yes.

>drug fiend who liked orgies
Yes.

>Bush.
Probably not.

Over in /omg/ I keep his unpublished Yorke microfilms, which are diaries, manuscripts, letters, commentaries, etc.
>>
File: Muhler20141207_20141206.jpg (38 KB, 199x267) Image search: [Google]
Muhler20141207_20141206.jpg
38 KB, 199x267
>>17876427
Here's Louise's pic.
>>
File: randallgair.jpg (68 KB, 647x527) Image search: [Google]
randallgair.jpg
68 KB, 647x527
>>17876431
I can find no images of Lola, she appears to have wanted privacy; here's a younger Randall.
>>
>>17876427

Why do you say he is a prophet, do you believe in him and follow Thelema? Have you read his books?

>>17876426
Are his books available free online?
>>
>>17876454
I repeat:
>>17876427
>Over in /omg/ I keep his unpublished Yorke microfilms, which are diaries, manuscripts, letters, commentaries, etc.
I've read the vast majority of all Crowley material period, including unpublished materials.

I accept Liber L vel Legis if that's what you're asking.

Yes his books are online for free, at sacred-texts, heremtic.com, and the occultism and magic thread I post routinely.
>>
>>17876459

What is "/omg/"?

Why was he shut down in USA by the FBI? Did he really sacrifice infants?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU_BP-L0eqM

Crowleymass unveiled!
>>
>>17876464
Possible FBI and protoFBI involvement more likely than not has to do with L. Ron Hubbard and Jack Parsons having connections to Commies, but there's never, to my knowledge, been an FBI raid on any Thelemic function.

>sacrifice infants
No:
>WEH ADDENDA: When Crowley speaks of sacrificing a male child, his diaries and other writings indicate that he thereby obfuscates the actual practice. Crowley did this by diversion of the act of sexual intercourse and other sexual actions. He considered contraception as human sacrifice. There is no indication in any of his writings that he ever performed infanticide. In fact, Crowley was even against abortion.
~Magick in Theory and Practice: Ch XII,
OF THE BLOODY SACRIFICE: AND MATTERS COGNATE.
>>
>>17876464
>What is "/omg/"?
The library archive and discussion thread I've hosted for nigh on 5 years thereabouts.
>>17860271
>>
>>17876479

Thanks friend.
>>
>>17876315

Adding onto Ape's stuff, (who is always good for Crowley-chat), Crowley was also a prolific writer, publishing his various "libri", many of which originally derive from an old periodical called the Equinox, which was literally published on the occasions of the equinox in a given year. A large part of the reason why Crowley has survived as a meme is because he put out a large body of writing, which is about the surest, best shot that anyone has to get remembered in history. Crowley therefore successfully forced himself as a meme, by spending on himself by self-publishing various writings, among other contributions. If there's a body of writing, then there is something for academics to engage with and wonder over, hence all the bios. Some months ago, I found a (yet another) Crowley bio in a used bookstore and realized that it had been written by a professor of my alma mater.

His prose and poetry are commonly regarded as mediocre, however. He is given to simple AABB -ABAB structures, which although simplistic, can have a positive "cheeky" effect going together with his cults and notoreity. The first time that I read "Hymn to Pan", it reminded me of an edgy poem that I had composed a few years ago, the same verve, like a song lyric about raping, pillaging, not giving a fuck. Swashbuckling. It is this autistic glee where he shines:

With hoofs of steel I race on the rocks
through solstice stubborn to equinox.
And I rave; and I rape and I rip and I rend
everlasting, world without end
Mannikin, maiden, maenad, man
in the might of Pan.
Io Pan! Io Pan Pan! Pan! Io Pan!

Crowley was an accomplished bible student as a boy, but it seems to have been his father's death which occasioned his Breaking Bad, as it were. If you read the book of the law carefully, at least one verse can be said to have been cribbed from Relevation, and IIRC one or two other lines are suspiciously similar to notable bible verses, particularly the KJV bible.
>>
I notice how many Thelemites seem to be into Kali or Shiva. Where did this originate?

Also what do you guys think of Traditional Satanism (the sevenfold sinister way)
>>
Wasn't the book of law supposedly dictated to him by an alien entity?
>>
>>17876315
He lives in the windowless building in Academy City. Hes planning on using Touma's power to destroy the Church of England.

He recently left the safety of the windowless building and is now moving on his own.
>>
>>17876557
An egyptian god who possessed his waifu at the time.
>>
>>17876634
Absolute madman
>>
He had a really bad relationship with his mother and his father died when he was young. People who engage shamelessly in socially deplorable things often have mommy issues.

He was not evil though. Not even a little bit. He thought Christianity was responsible for most of the human suffering from his time. He had a lot of compassion for the world's suffering but did not show it because he thought it was a sign of weakness. He cared a lot, a whole lot, about his image.
>>
Diary of a Drug Fiend is a really good book and should be read by anyone who struggles with addiction.
>>
>>17876720
>He was not evil though. Not even a little bit. He thought Christianity was responsible for most of the human suffering from his time. He had a lot of compassion for the world's suffering but did not show it because he thought it was a sign of weakness. He cared a lot, a whole lot, about his image.
>We have nothing with the outcast and the unfit: let them die in their misery. For they feel
not. Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of
the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.
>>
>>17876758
>Crowley arrived for a whole weekend and spent the time like any other visitor to the Prieure; being shown the grounds and the activities in progress, listening to Gurdjieff’s music and his oracular conversation. Apart from some circumspection, Gurdjieff treated him like any other guest until the evening of his departure. After dinner on Sunday night, Gurdjieff led the way out of the dining room with Crowley, followed by the body of the pupils who had also been at the meal. Crowley made his way toward the door and turned to take his leave of Gurdjieff, who by this time was some way up the stairs to the second floor. “Mister, you go?” Gurdjieff inquired. Crowley assented. “You have been guest?”—a fact which the visitor could hardly deny. “Now you go, you are no longer guest?” Crowley—no doubt wondering whether his host had lost his grip on reality and was wandering in a semantic wilderness – humored his mood by indicating that he was on his way back to Paris. But Gurdjieff, having made the point that he was not violating the canons of hospitality, changed on the instant into the embodiment of righteous anger. “You filthy,” he stormed, “you dirty inside! Never again you set foot in my house!” From his vantage point on the stairs, he worked himself into a rage which quite transfixed his watching pupils. Crowley was stigmatized as the sewer of creation was taken apart and trodden into the mire. Finally, he was banished in the style of East Lynne by a Gurdjieff in fine histrionic form. White faced and shaking, the Great Beast crept back to Paris with his tail between his legs. (9)
James Webb

kek
>>
>>17876758
You are taking that verse at face value. Can you not understand everything is veiled? Compassion is the vice of kings but it is not a vice without value. The cup of Babalon IS compassion and is exalted above any king. Love is the Law you fool.
>>
>>17876758

Read the entries for chariot and lust in the Book of Thoth.
>>
>>17876768
The cup of Babalon is the [spoilerthatdoesn'tworkon/x/]vagina or vesica pisces or sacred feminine etc.[/spoiler] not love. It's all based on [spoiler]the glorification of sex[/spoiler] bruh. That's my take on it, feel free to argue otherwise if you can.
>>
>>17876778
I did. They didn't help. :/
>>
>>17876784
"This wine is such that its virtue radiateth through the cup, and I reel under the intoxication of it. And every thought is destroyed by it. It abideth alone, and its name is Compassion. I understand by "Compassion," the sacrament of suffering, partaken by the true worshipers of the Highest. And it is an ecstasy in which there is no trace of pain. Its passivity (=passion) is like the giving-up of the self to the beloved."

The aspiration of the AA is to give selfless service to the universe. The impetus for this work is compassion. When one's ego is destroyed by Choronzon there is no need for self-motivated, ego-based behavior, such behavior is literally crazy.
>>
>>17876812

I am wrong in that it is the wine not the cup that is Compassion. I'm not saying you're wrong either. Just trying to paint a fuller picture. There is nothing that exists without value in Thelema aside from the illusions of the abyss.
>>
>>17876763
How many times do I have to post that Hutton found zero evidence of this rumor?
>>
>>17876557
>Wasn't the book of law supposedly dictated to him by an alien entity?

No.

>>17876812
>When one's ego is destroyed by Choronzon

Ha, ha!

Nope.

>>17876820
>I am wrong in that it is the wine not the cup that is Compassion.

What?

>There is nothing that exists without value in Thelema aside from the illusions of the abyss.

What below the Abyss is not illusion?
>>
File: 14aleister-crowley1.jpg (27 KB, 335x400) Image search: [Google]
14aleister-crowley1.jpg
27 KB, 335x400
>>
>>17877250
this attentionwhore still posts here, lmao.
>>
>>17880159
what a nerd
>>
>>17876758
Any thelemites willing to talk about this line really quick? Why stamp the weak? what is meant by they feel not? It puts knots in my stomach the idea of STAMPING the weak. Why?
>>
>>17880212

Just arrived here, ok, i'll talk.

Much is said about Liber Legis few understood.

There's only one law, and it is love, love is the desire of become one, many say a lot, few experience anything.

It all makes sens through practice of liber CL.

That is do understand truth in the world. Life, Love, Lux, Liberty.
>>
misspelled a bit.
>>
>>17876315
He was a shit-eating Magus, very powerful.
>>
>>17876315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oavx4xWS2os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Mm8GIv54Q
>>
>>17877250
until it doesn't trigger you anymore, fanboy.
>>
>>17876315
Blood Semen and Shit are his Holy Grail and Do what thou wilt with the sacrament

Aleistar is a fucking mad man.
>>
>>17876427
He was a bush.

Look at Barbara.
>>
>>17877250
YOU should start worshiping someone worth the sacrament you fucking small minded Low magick using piece of trash. You will never amount to miracle. Your force is Null. Take this post as curse and begone from study You vile excuse for an acolyte.
>>
His house is like a 10 minute drive from me.

Has a spooky passage way to the graveyard too, house burned down a few years ago and nobody's touched it since.
>>
>>17880891
AC and Hitler were alive at the same time.

>>17880175
>>17881597
>>17881641
K.

>>17880212
>>17880408
You actually have to engage in textual interpretation which the Caliphate doesn't like:
>Compassion is the vice of kings
^This is not an admonition against compassion, it's the plain assertion that only someone in total control of their context may use it effectively. See: Art of War, 48 Laws of Power, etc., etc., etc.

>Stamp down the wretched and the weak
^Inside yourself, and not among others, that you may become kingly able to utilize compassion correctly.

Bonus round:
>The slaves shall serve
Who, or what, is a slave in this context? Given AC makes many references to "devoted slaves of the Order", he's not talking about IRL slavery in the Hellenic or American sense, but is rather referring to various inclinations among Thelemites, who may or may not be OTO or A.'.A.'., and that those inclinations will pan out over the natural trajectory of their being.

>>17881593
>93
That second one's notoriously sensationalist.

>>17881627
I'm going to decline to accept this notion until I see a DNA test between her and Eric Muhler.

>>17881634
But I don't worship Crowley.
>>
>>17882127
>Who, or what, is a slave in this context? Given AC makes many references to "devoted slaves of the Order", he's not talking about IRL slavery in the Hellenic or American sense, but is rather referring to various inclinations among Thelemites, who may or may not be OTO or A.'.A.'., and that those inclinations will pan out over the natural trajectory of their being.

Yep:

"Let my servants be few and secret. They shall rule the many and the known."
>>
The Christian religion and all Judeo-Christian religions are Satanism. So, congratulations dummy, you're a satanic duesh nugget already. Jesus Is Satan fuck tard. Read a book.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (91 KB, 1050x1039) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
91 KB, 1050x1039
>>17882178
>tfw
>>
I fucking love Crowley. We need a drama about The Great Beast.

>Occultism
>Perversion
>Famous authors fucking each other in the ass for some glorious sex magick
>Political shenanigans of magical orders in late 1800 and early 1900
>Madness, drugs and ass fucking antics in the desert

It would be like Around the World in Eighty Days but much more fucking, cocaine, esotericism, magical sex rituals and fun.
>>
>>17883160

Anon gets it!
>>
>>17876315
Don't know if anyone here could help me out with this, but I'm looking to get into some of Crowley's writings, but I don't read a lot of books; especially older ones, so I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me something that might help me get a better understanding of early 20th century english? I am aware some of of Crowley's writings are just nonsensical ramblings or very cryptic and strange like "The Book of Lies", But I really want to make sure I have a better understanding of the words he's using and style of writing.
>>
>>17876315
Also, I came across this at a used book shop. I knew Israel was Crowley's personal secretary, so I figured its a pretty good biography, but I was wondering if there was anything good that was a bit more modern ?
>>
>>17882127
I'm looking for a specific guide into Thelema, specifically contacting my Holy Guardian Angel - which of Crowleys works do you recommend? I have moderate experience in sigil, ceremonial and left hand path majik, however none of those have appealed to me as Thelema and/or Enochian has.
>>
>>17883322
>some of of Crowley's writings are just nonsensical ramblings
lel.

>>17883322
>early 20th century english
For the life of me I'll never understand why people have a problem 'reading' Crowley. The words he uses are the same as ours. The syntax he uses is the same as ours. This isn't Canterbury Tales, this isn't Finnegan's Wake, Crowley's not even as linguistically sophisticated as academic material published in comparative religion or anthropology, et. al, either today or in his.

>I don't read much
That's the problem, not Crowley's elocution. And you do read, a lot, on a webzone for Chinese kid's shows, it's just that you've been reading so much /b/trash that poised the well.

I dunno, go back through the classic high school novels: Kill a Mockingbird, Catch 22, Brave New World, etc., if the problem's actually syntax and style. Avoid Hemingway (in this context, he's great but he won't help with Crowley).

>>17885776
One central guide? Nope. Read the corpus and keep an eye out for references to the HGA *or* Nature with the big N. There's fuckloads of context that needs to go into the Goat's HGA work. Times, dates, appendant rituals, timelines, etc.

Liber Samekh is the ritual AC used for HGA contact, but you'll need to construct your own.
>>
what happened to the omg thread?
>>
>>17885874
The Corpus as in Crowley's works in general? I'll assume the Goat refers to me...

I was unaware each Initiate had to construct their own Work in order to contact their HGA, but it makes more sense thinking about it. Any advice beyond hunting in your MEGA library?
>>
>>17885879
Hit the bump limit and I gotta run out the door in the next half hour or so.

>>17885909
Crowley's corpus yes. Goat refers to AC.
Yes, everything, literally everything, in the A.'.A.'.>Crowley and A.'.A.'.>Libri folders.

>>17883353
Regardie's biography is meh. There's no definitive neutral academic biography in modern times.

My best advice is to hit up the wikipedia page, which is fantastic in comparison to some other similar pages, and follow the citations in there; you'll assemble much more biographical information doing that than reading this or that glowing or scathing biography.
>>
So is it bad to involve yourself with the side of the occult crowley delved in?

I've done a lot of tarot but I've not read into much apart from an introduction to wicca but from what I've read Crowley is the go to person if one were to get into/believe in magic. However his life sounds horrible, I don't get why peopled defend him as such a messiah. Being plagued by voices? Ending up in some ruin where he was slumming it and abusing his companions? Ending his life a toothless rotting addict?

It puts you off. I like the idea of getting into the occult and having power I just don't want my life fucked up in an evil way.
>>
>>17885928
>Ending up in some ruin where he was slumming it and abusing his companions? Ending his life a toothless rotting addict?

He had a heroin habit due to asthma. Don't know whether he still had teeth or how that's relevant. The rest of your claim is false.

People defend Crowley because he was one of the few thinking occultists and got good results. He lived a very interesting and very entertaining life, one like most folks will only dream about. And he left behind, not just copious records of his work, he left us a living tradition of adepts.
>>
File: 5375652091_c3706a51d4.jpg (152 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
5375652091_c3706a51d4.jpg
152 KB, 500x366
>>17885928
>Ending up in some ruin where he was slumming it
Pic related is where he spent his last years.
>such hovel
>many poverty
>very slum
>wow
>>
>the only way to do magic is to use flowery terms for sex acts
>all the sex acts are done with other dudes
nah i dont trust crowley
Any magic stuff that is, in all ways, real, simple to use, and NOT GAY?
>>
>>17885987
>Any magic stuff that is, in all ways, real, simple to use, and NOT GAY?

Probably not simple enough for you. Sorry.
>>
>>17885987
>only way to do magic is to use flowery terms for sex acts
Immediately proving you've not read a word of the praxes.

>all the sex acts are done with other dudes
Doubling down on the obvious fact you've not read a word of the praxes.
>>
>>17885990
Honestly, simplicity is the most optional. I want results, senpai
>>
File: 1467534736325.png (55 KB, 182x238) Image search: [Google]
1467534736325.png
55 KB, 182x238
>>17885994
>wants results
>refuses to read praxes that get results
>lies about said praxes
Sure thing friend-o.
>>
>>17885994

Then get over your problem with Crowley.
>>
>>17885999
Trips confirm.
>>
>>17885985
I'm talking about the Abbey of thelema

>using cringe doge meme speech
i feel sorry for you
>>
>>17886093
>I'm talking about the Abbey of thelema

They you are really lost, dude. Give it up.
>>
>>17886096
you're lost says the fanboi of someone that achieved only addiction and insanity
>>
>>17886122

Wrong on all counts, scooter. Congrats!
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.