[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror movies with actual good twist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
And I don´t mean: "Oh no, the killer is still alive and ready for a final fight scene". I mean a twist that was prepared during the whole movie and whose clues can be seen during a second viewing.

>Pic related
>>
File: sinister-127255424-large.jpg (118 KB, 625x926) Image search: [Google]
sinister-127255424-large.jpg
118 KB, 625x926
Also related
>>
>>17853265
That was a good movie, Nice taste Anon
>>
>>17853296
I´ve just seen it and boy was I impressed. I actually cared for the family, was really impressed by Esther´s actress performance, it relied more on suspense than on gore... What a magnificent movie. If I have a few complains are that the boy survived (although I´ve read that originally he was going to, but they got it changed), the many fake outs before a scare, and this is pretty biased, but I wanted her to get away with murder. I just liked Esther much more.
And of course, what a wonderful twist. I did not see it coming, but when you think about it every piece falls into place. It´s clear they didn´t come up with it at the end to make their movie unique; they had it in mind since the beginning.
>>
>>17853318
I know you say that there's no gore, but the bit with the vice gets me
>>
>>17853318
Far too many horror movies now rely primarily on cheap jumpscares, Esther's performance was brilliant and believable, and I also found myself wanting her to continue, family to family.

Watch adoption rates across the country drop haha
>>
The Conjuring 2 has a pretty neat twist regarding the entity that's doing the haunting, and there's a barely-noticeable clue earlier on that directly points to it that almost made me freak out when I realized it at the end.

Better than the first desu
>>
>>17853359
Is that [spoiler]the things name being literally everywhere in the Warren house?[/spoiler]
>>
>>17853341
Yeah... that was fucked up. But it was kept pretty subtly, so I´m glad they included it. When I said that there´s no gore I meant to say that the horror doesn´t come from there. It´s the tension building up to the gore that really makes it shine. I was more scared of how she would kill her next victim rather than when she actually did it.
>>
>>17853342
That would have been sweet. Like in [spoiler Sinister /spoiler]
>>
I've seen a movie recently called Last Shift, I won't spoil it, but I'm certain you guys will enjoy it.

It kinda went by unnoticed
>>
>>17853380
[spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]
>>
>>17853396
The synopsis I´ve read online doesn´t seem very convincing. Would you mind giving me a small, spoiler free summary?
>>
File: p11225500_p_v8_aa.jpg (422 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p11225500_p_v8_aa.jpg
422 KB, 960x1440
>>17853409
A rookie cop joins the local police force that her dad died serving, but there's a deep, satanic cover up regarding a very despicable cult leader and his fanatics (Manson ESC)

Online reviews don't do it justice, honestly it's a great movie
>>
>>17853425
sound like that
>the kids are all dead
story on that one radio show about that one thing
>>
>>17853425
Well, I´d better give it a look, then. In which elements would you say the horror relies? Atmosphere, gore, jumpscares...?
>>
File: last-shift-624283.jpg (96 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
last-shift-624283.jpg
96 KB, 1024x768
>>17853444
Atmosphere, subtle amounts of gore, and the creepiest phone call ever made to 911.

It's mostly psychological.
>>
>>17853458
so no jump scares?
they ruin any movie imo
>>
>>17853458
Sounds like my kind of movie! Thanks for the recommendation. Does it also have a good twist?
>>
File: photo_06.jpg (114 KB, 1024x586) Image search: [Google]
photo_06.jpg
114 KB, 1024x586
>>17853467
Maybe one, but it's a good one ;)

>>17853468
It's a weird twist :) you'll honestly love this film.
>>
Evidence. wasnt a stereotypical horror movie, but had the right vibe, some great serial killer shit, and the twist was just on point.
>>
>>17853484
On my list :) sounds like something I'd like
>>
>>17853265

Esther could have easily become one of the great horror movie serial killers. I wonder why she never did. She gave a chilling performance, was an efficient killer and had a really original backstory
>>
>>17853403
I remember thinking to myself that them having the letters V, and K was weird, seeing as they're call Ed and Lorraine, and even if the daughter was veronica or some shit, it wouldn't explain the K
>>
>>17853425
Couldn't agree more, I loved that movie.
>>
>>17853521
Yeah I saw the letters on the window sill and thought it spelled "Valerie" off camera or something. Then she said Valek and I thought wait a minute.....FUCK
>>
>>17853268
Saw the twist from a mile away. Sinister was shit.
>>
File: onesheet.jpg (81 KB, 387x580) Image search: [Google]
onesheet.jpg
81 KB, 387x580
Not the best movie around, and doesn't really have any twists, but pic related caught me off guard by how good it was.
>>
>>17853425
I put this on as background noise and then couldn't help but watch it. Pretty decent flick.
>>
>>
>>17854318
Pretty good as well. The US version was meh.
>>
I liked El Orfanato
>>
File: images-4.jpg (22 KB, 323x456) Image search: [Google]
images-4.jpg
22 KB, 323x456
>>17854331
>>
Triangle (2009)
Good twist but it's more on the triller side
>>
>>17853268
Wait I must have missed it. What was the "twist?" It all seemed decently straightforward to me?
>>
>>17853265
>actual good twist
>pic related

Yeah no, you have shit taste
>>
>>17854359
That the main villain is Rob Zombie?
>>
>>17854730
shame on you.
>>
>>17853514
She died off in her first movie, so that probably helped. I'm glad she didn't become yet another Freddie or Chucky or Jason or w/e.
>>
>>17853265
The last 30 minutes of that new M Night Shamalamadingdong Movie "The Visit" were okay, Every other second was physical pain to watch though.
>>
>>17853467
I don't think jump scares ruin a movie, in fact I welcome them, gives me something physical to be afraid of. It's when the film counts on jumpscares and not a scary original plot or creepy atmosphere to be scary, thats when they ruin the movie. You can have jump scares in horror films, as long as the film would be good without the jump scares.
>>
>>17855180
Agree completely

Moderation is key, but so long as there's a genuine psychological fear, not just jump scare after jump scare
>>
File: images (3).jpg (25 KB, 320x460) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
25 KB, 320x460
Lake Mungo.
The whole movie is leading to the final twist, with a number of minor twists thrown in throughout the film. Great, chilling final twist, although I wouldn't say that the movie provides much in the way of clues, except to show the girl's fatalistic view of life before she died (that's not a spoiler btw, the movie basically opens with her death).
>>
>>17854341
This for sure. The sense of dread I felt when I realized what was going on in the end has yet to be surpassed.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.