[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /x/, I come to you not with a ghost story, but with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Alright /x/, I come to you not with a ghost story, but with the story of a ghost story. Maybe that's creepier. I've always loved listening to and telling scary stories, so I was lucky to grow up with a very superstitious family. There were many, many times when we would all sit together after some family gathering, and my parent, and uncles would tell stories about spooky experiences they had had.

One particular story always stuck out to me. it was told by my grandfather, but always with some reluctance. This is largely due to the fact that it seemed a bit far-fetched, and he always insisted it had actually happened despite the family's teasing. It was a good story to listen to and tell though, so he told it often:

>my grandfather grew up a farm a few miles from nearby town - the one i live in
>town had a brothel at this time (late 1950s)
>grandfather would often ride into town to visit brothel and return late
>one night he's coming home
>he hears crying coming from a little ways off the trail
>he gets off horse to investigate, sees a baby
>baby is alone, swaddled, and just bawling
>my grandfather is confused as its both the middle of the night and the middle of nowhere
>he picks up the baby to take it back to town
>it stops crying once he's holding it, seems to be asleep
>when he's nearing town he suddenly hears a man laughing
>it's the baby
>he looks down, the baby is staring right up at him, smiling
>the baby has a full set of teeth - long, very sharp teeth
>terrified, he flings baby away from him and gallops home

My friend reacted to this story much more strongly than I had anticipated. He grew visibly pale, and was glancing around nervously. I was pretty proud of my storytelling skills for a while, until my friend asked when this had happened. I told him my grandfather had been
>>
about 17 and it was in the 50s. Turns out his grandfather was about the same age and had a very similar story.

>his grandfather lived in town
>he went riding in the evenings often
>would ride the trails along the river that cuts through our town, wandering and exploring
>one evening, he's riding along when he hears sobbing
>is instantly frightened - the story of la llorona is associated with this river
>realizes it's not a womans voice, it's a boys
>notices a small boy sitting beside the trail, crying
>tries talking to the boy, but gets no response
>decides the boy must be lost and frightened
>he tells the boy he will take him into town, and helps him onto the horse
>boy stops crying as they ride
>about halfway to town, the boy starts cackling
>looks back at child, its eyes are a dark red and he notices its teeth end in nasty points
>he panics, trys to puch boy off back of horse
>boy latches onto his arm
>horse becomes spooked and starts tearing down the trail
>coworkers grandpa is struggling with boy while trying desperately to stay on horse
>finally dislodges boy, it lands in middle of trail still cackling
>rides into town as fast as he can

After hearing my friend's story, I was getting pretty spooked myself, so we dropped the subject and just focused on our work. So the next day I was curious and called my grandpa, asked again if his story about the baby really happened. He swears that it did, so I ask him if anything similar had happened or if he'd told people. He said that nothing similar had happened he'd known of, and he'd kept it to himself until quite a while after it had happened. Luckily, people in my town don't leave it, so I take the chance to ask some of my friends and coworkers if they'd been told a similar story. There was one, different but with some of the same elements, that popped up very often.
>>
It's more similar to the classic "ghost hitchhiker story". A lot of people said parent or grandparents talked about how sometimes when you were riding alone at night you'd encounter a pretty young woman crying on the side of the road. In some versions she would do nothing unless you let her get on your horse - then she would eventually change into a hideous monster, and latch onto you, waiting for you to lose control of the horse and fall. Either the fall would kill you or she would. In more sinister versions, she wouldnt wait beside the road - she lurked in the trees until you rode underneath dropping down behind you and enacting the previously mentioned scenario.

So at this point, but had started to get the feel of a folk legend, albeit one I hadn't been aware of. I took to the internet to see if it was widespread and found search results just yielded parenting artices about the proper development of baby teeth. The only thing I could find similar was a Malay/Phillipine legend about the Tiyanak Apparently, this is a vampire type creature that disguises itself as a baby or young child and cries to attract attention. Once it's picked up, it waits until a good moment to assume it's true form so it can attack and kill it's victim. A variation is the Pontianak, which is similar, but can also take the form of a woman.

I'm seriously considering the possibility that in the 50s/60s my area was terrorized by one of these creatures or something very similar. I don't think its just a folk tale as neither is it famous in the Southwest nor is it retold like it had happened recently. All of the stories are from that time period. What do you think /x/? Any similar stories?
>>
Haha unlucky old son

In Ireland all we have to put up with is the dastardly leprechaun and the odd banshee
>>
>>17809328
>>terrified, he flings the baby and gallops home
Your satyr of a peepaw is dick to babies
>>
>>17811139
Are you after his lucky charms?
>>
Stab it with your bayonet and lucky charms spill out for days
>>
>>17809340
What area was this? Just curious
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.