[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best JRPG for someone who's never played one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: jrpg.jpg (294 KB, 1019x1266) Image search: [Google]
jrpg.jpg
294 KB, 1019x1266
What's the best JRPG for someone who's never played one?
>>
final fantasy iv
>>
>>28558
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
>>
>>28558
holy shit op that picture is pure cancer
>>28602
Chrono trigger is a good pick, FF7 probably not.

Give Radiant Historia a shot. It take a lot of cues from Chrono Trigger, has a pretty decent story, gameplay, and isnt grindy (a plus in my opinion) You'll find it on the DS
>>
File: 24.png (16 KB, 800x473) Image search: [Google]
24.png
16 KB, 800x473
>>28558

SMT: Nocturne

:D :D :D
>>
Hyperdimension Neptunia
>>
Dragon Quest VIII
Ys I, II, V
Xenoblade

Strange Journey, after you've played some
>>
>>28602
Chrono Trigger? Definitely.
FFVII? Fuck no.

>>28558
Chrono Trigger (SNES).
Final Fantasy VI (SNES) and Final Fantasy IX (PSX).
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (n64, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS)
Dragon Quest IV, V and VI (I recommend playing VI first, then IV and then V - they're all good, but VI is the poorest one, and while IV is just amazing, it doesn't even get close to how good V is) (SNES, DS).
The two Fire Emblems for DS (the second one doesn't have an official translation, but there's a great fan translation - the second one for DS is my favorite Fire Emblem, too).
Then, the Fire Emblems for GBA.
If you like that style of gameplay, Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) are great as well.
Recettear (PC).
Etrian Odyssey (DS).
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, specially if you play as Pratty with Sugar as your beast (GBA)

... There's many more, but you have a good number there. Enjoy.
>>
Dragon Quest V
>>
literally anything but final fantasy.
try earthbound.
>>
>>28844
how is Ocarina of Time a jrpg

Definitely play Chrono Trigger though. There's a reason why many people consider it one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>28943
I only ever see underaged retards calling Zelda an RPG. They're like "Hurr hurr you play a role in it!"

I don't get it because this guy actually listed legitimate RPGs otherwise.
>>
Chrono Trigger is babbies first JRPG. It is a great game but it isn't too challenging nor do you really get to customize or develop your characters in interesting ways.

Honestly you can jump into almost anything.

>>28844
>FFVII? Fuck no.
>Lists FFVI
Get your head out of your ass, both are decent games.
>>
>>28999
>Get your head out of your ass, both are decent games.
VI is a jewel with great, lovable characters, fantastic villains, a complex yet unforgettable plot, and lots of fun that amount to an extremely enjoyable ride.

VII is angsty, clichéd, clunky shit that only narutards and yaoi fangirls like.

VI has some darkness in its plot, sure, but it doesn't dwell on it. It focuses on it only when it's absolutely necessary, and the rest of the time, you got things like Ultros - hell, even Kefka is humorous. VII, on the other hand, is what your typical self-cutter takes as inspiration for cheap tattoos.

No, neither of them are decent. VI is stellar, and VII is garbage.
>>
>>29032
you're hilarious as both 6 & 7 have pretty similar up and down points. 6 is also far darker in its later half than 7 ever was.
everything you said in defense of 6 can be said of 7, except the villain (sorry sephiroth fans, hes a pretty awful villain)
I wouldnt recommend either FF game for a first jrpg experience. Both are clunky and slow, both rely on mechanics that are far too archaic for any modern gamer, and especially for someone unused to jrpg tendencies.
>>
>>29032
How the FUCK is VII cliched? It is the game where most of those things originated, you fucking kid.
>>
>>29073
>everything you said in defense of 6 can be said of 7
>implying, Cloud, Tifa and company hold a candle to the complex yet amenable cast in VI
>implying all the intricacies you find in the plot of VI can be found in VII's linear, ultra-simplified, extremely clichéd shit plot (though of course, many of its plot points are plagiarized straight from VI, but that doesn't mean they're similar in any other way)
>implying the bore of a plot you get in VII is in any way as unforgettable as the fun adventures you have in VI
>implying any adversaries in VII, not even just Sepiroth, are as lovable as VI's
You're crazy.

Also, VI was one of my first JRPGs... back when the west knew it only as III. It's quite alright as a first JRPG. Sure, the battle controls are a bit peculiar and might get you a couple of hours to get used to, but at least they aren't as unresponsive as VII's.

>>29087
20-something that has played less JRPGs than his age detected.

What did VII originate? Other than being the first popular 3D JRPG (not the first one, mind you. The first popular one). Even everpresent grimdark angst was part of games that came before FFVII, and did it much better.

But of course, you won't agree. That's the thing with FFVII shitters. They're like TWEWY fags in that sense: it's as if they're brainwashed, and can't hear to reason. They believe their favorite shit vidya are high art just because it's as whiny as them.
>>
File: image.jpg (234 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234 KB, 1280x1024
Demon souls, dark souls, and bloodbourne are the shit bud
>>
File: smug.png (441 KB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
441 KB, 4500x4334
>>28558
Paper mario for GC lad, that's all you need to know
>>
>>28558
Lunar
>>
File: FF_Mystic_quest.jpg (47 KB, 544x300) Image search: [Google]
FF_Mystic_quest.jpg
47 KB, 544x300
>>28999
>Chrono Trigger is babbies first JRPG

No actually, for an actual babbies first JRPG try Final Fantasy Mystic Quest as it is literally designed to be for beginners.
>>
>>29259
just gonna say, FFMQ was awful IMHO.

bravely default is a pretty decent suggestion. The customization is fun, the music is great, and the story is pretty meh. Most jrpgs have pretty meh stories, so take that as you would.
Its great benefit is that all the custom options you can set up making it very accessible and a decent first step into this genre.
>>
>>29263
If what you want is customization, Dragon Quest IX is the best.

The story isn't as compelling as IV to VIII (except VI) though, and given that the playing characters are all full custom, they're not memorable. But it's still a pretty enjoyable game.
>>
>>29188
lunar and lunar II. i want more games like these. They have such a charm and old school cool feel to them.
>>
>>29263
Of course it's awful, you're not a beginner. If you've never had a chance to play a JRPG before it's a great introduction.
>>
>>29259
While it is designed for beginners it isn't as highly regarded as Chrono Trigger while Chrono Trigger still being easily accessible. CT is a great place to start due to its length, difficulty, and the battle mechanics due to the group tech system.

It is a classic game and easily accessible to new people to the genre. Though I do believe there are better JRPG's than CT out there.

>>29089
>What did VII originate?
What did FFVI originate? First part of the game is on rails until you get to the World of Ruin, which in turn it becomes a sub-par SaGa game. None-the-less you can see a lot of its elements of its story come from even Final Fantasy II. Though they aren't exact you still get things like an evil empire that a resistance is fighting against, one that actually comes through and terrorizes the people with such things as carpet bombings, and instead of the WoR the world is flooded with demons from Hell itself. Not only that but has many staples of Final Fantasy like Cid, Chocobos, Ultima, and the like.

Both Final Fantasy VI and VII are decent games, and I am always baffled to see why one can detest the other one unless they are a blind fanboy.
>>
>>28558
If you like easy games: Pokemon
If you like medium difficulty games: Chrono Trigger
If you like hard games: Etrian Odyssey
>>
>>29413
yo dude, he's just a troll bait'n for replies. Pretty obvious with how thick he lays it on.

>>29442
but which EO, there are like 7 of them now.
>>
>>29442
Was about to say this.
>>29451
The first one is one of the hardest.
The third and fourth ar the easiest ones.
>>
Legend of dragoon is pretty good, It's got a neat battle system that might be able to keep you engaged if you're worried about the customary system being to slow.
Also Skies of arcadia is pretty good as well.
>>
>>28558
Final Fantasy IV is a fantastic start
>>
File: 1435089920376.jpg (152 KB, 400x510) Image search: [Google]
1435089920376.jpg
152 KB, 400x510
Surprise no one said Persona 4 yet.
>>
File: 1445235753103.jpg (143 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1445235753103.jpg
143 KB, 650x650
>>30041
Persona 4 is shit.
>>
>>28558
Suikoden Tierkreis for the DS is comfy as fuck. also Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>28844
>FFT
just out of curiosity, ever played Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre? why is it that it's never mentioned despite being the forefather of FFT?
>>
>>30464
nostalgia and feels. more people played FFT and, so far as this thread is concerned, is a better jump in point that ogre is. It cant be denied that Ogre is great, but for the reasons mentioned above its not usually recommended.
>>
File: 1425790079643.jpg (306 KB, 629x800) Image search: [Google]
1425790079643.jpg
306 KB, 629x800
>>30468
>a better jump in point
I agree with everything else you just said, or maybe it's that I played Ogre first
>But seriously, being an Ogre fan is pain
>>
>>30464
I'm the guy you're replying to.

I've played Ogre Battle both in SNES and GBA, and I do like them, but they're far from what you'd recommend a beginner. They're great because they're hard as fuck.

Overall though, I like the Fire Emblem series the best. Hell, I'm currently replaying 7, because that Lyndis thread we had last week or so had me shaking 'til I started playing.
>>
File: 7467.gif (728 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
7467.gif
728 KB, 500x281
>>30041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA
>>
File: 10.jpg (2 MB, 2056x3052) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
2 MB, 2056x3052
>>30565
Oh god. My sides hurt, no memeing.

Also,
>Chie
>Louisa Ferre
Both have shit taste. Dolly is the best grill in the series, no contest.
>>
>>28558
Chrono Trigger is a hell of a lot easier than the Pokemon games that came out around the same time.
>>
>>30561
Wait, so you haven't played Ogre Battle for the N64 or Tactics Ogre for the SNES/PSP? dude...
>>
>>30636
I've played Tactics Ogre for the SNES.

Not the Ogre Battle for n64 though.
>>
>>28558
Go all the way back to the beginning...
The Journey Began With a single Final Fantasy~
>>
>>30904
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaV1RKovRgg&list=PL2E24DF6D08A9F53D

And so began, a legacy~
>>
>>28558
suikoden 1 and 2
>>
File: 1440552742052.png (89 KB, 330x328) Image search: [Google]
1440552742052.png
89 KB, 330x328
>Ctrl+F
>Golden Sun
>no results
seriously?
>>
I can't find a JRPG general in /vg/ or /v/ so I'll ask here.

Is Suikoden Tactics a decent game, like something that came out with initially lukewarm reviews but is really worth playing?

People compare it to FFT which I also like, and I've also played the mainline Suikodens but this is a game I passed over for a while because nobody ever talks about it.
>>
>>31421
its mediocre at best
>>
>>31421
/jrpgg/ in /vg/ has been killed off for a long time now.
>>
>>29097
>not the n64 one

dumb frogposter

[spoiler]both are god tier[/spoiler]
>>
>>28831
I like Strange Journey, but there are better SMT games you could have recommended in all honesty.
>>
>>31441
We're never going to get another traditional, non-gimmicky Paper Mario JRPG game again. Fuck Nintendo.
>>
>>31076
Golden Sun hasn't aged well IMO.

Come at me, Nintenfags.
>>
File: 1445541175878.png (3 MB, 1780x1260) Image search: [Google]
1445541175878.png
3 MB, 1780x1260
>>28558
Dragon Quest V
Play the DS or the mobile version
Won't regret it
>>
>>28691
Thumbs up for Chrono Trigger, but even more so for Radiant Historia. Combat is pretty simple but has enough variety to stay engaging, you're allowed some freedom but have enough direction to not get lost. Good story too. A nice choice for a first JRPG, or even a first RPG.
>>
Is Tales of Symphonia good? It's going to be on Steam in february
>>
Dragon Quest VIII is a reasonable introduction to the genre, I think.
>>
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>32264
Dragon Quest V is a JRPG version of that Louis CK image where he says "WHY WOULD ANYTHING NICE EVER HAPPEN". It ain't for everyone.
>>
>>32326
Yes, but it is very, very long. Legitimately 60-80 hours depending on how much sidequest stuff you do.

You shoulda prepurchased Tales of Zestiria back in October so you could have both.
>>
Luminous Arc 1 is good.
Just after Trails in the Sky.
>>
>>33050
>implying
It's a wild ride, and that's what makes those very precious moments (you know what I'm talking about. Not spoiling it) and the end so much more satisfying.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.