[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random PC freeze / restart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: efwefwef.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
efwefwef.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I don't like making a whole thread for a single topic, but I've tried everything I can think of and I still can't find this problem. Googling error codes, ran some diagnostic software (seatools, memtest, ect), nothing really working. All possible drivers I can think of are up to date / fresh.

My computer (specs in the OP pic) will freeze, the keyboard will shut off, mouse becomes unresponsive, and the audio will freak out and start making loud buzzing. I have to hard reset the machine when this happens. It actually started doing this when first installing windows. Took me 4 tries to get through the install without freezing. The strange part is, it never does this when running a fullscreen video game. I can run a game for 3 hours, then shut it off, and it will freeze within 5 minutes. It also does this when i try to download a large file over steam specifically.

Could it be a motherboard problem? Given the peripheral failure, it seems like a power allocation thing.

I'll gladly post a screenshot of any error logs.
>>
>>124871
could be gpu/cpu not getting enough power or conflicting drivers.

run a chkdsk
>>
>>124897
600 watt power supply, so i doubt it unless there's a problem with it.
Conflicting drivers could be a thing, so I will do that chkdsk and report back.
>>
>>124908
>>124897
chckdsk found nothing
>>
File: wetgdgfjfm.png (26 KB, 488x613) Image search: [Google]
wetgdgfjfm.png
26 KB, 488x613
>>124912
>>124897
more specifically
>>
>>124871
SATA bus locks, which locks SATA controller, which locks PCIe link, which locks processor out of entire PCIe network until something times out.

Almost always this is the drive's fault, but it could conceivably be the cable or the controller.

But I guarantee you.

Guarantee you.

That if you were to disable your SATA controller and run an OS from USB, this problem would not manifest itself.
>>
>>124871
>it seems like a power allocation thing.

>>124897
>could be gpu/cpu not getting enough power or conflicting drivers.
>run a chkdsk

>could be conflicting drivers.
>run a chkdsk

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise this was a tech-support roleplay thread.

I'll leave you guys alone, and you can get back to spouting technobabble at each other.
>>
>>124919
now that's an interesting theory. I've never used a non-windows OS before, I've heard live booting from ubuntu is easy, so I can try that. Never done it before though so it could take me some time.
Any idea how I can fix that sata bus locks you mentioned? How I can isolate that as the problem?
>>124925
You're half right. I only know anything about computers from lurking /g/ and watching youtube tutorials on how to assemble a pc. I went with what the other 2 anon's said because they were things I hadn't tried.
>>
>>124932
Just live-boot anything, including the Windows Installer shift-f10 prompt.

>>124932
>Any idea how I can fix that sata bus locks you mentioned? How I can isolate that as the problem?
Same way you fix anything: systematically.

- find way to reproduce problem (try something like h2benchw*)
- move cable, drive to new computer, and see if the problem follows the component
( - end up replacing drive, because it's always the drive)

* obviously don't write-test anything you don't want overwritten.
>>
>>124938
Like I said, I'll try the live-boot, but it turns out I don't have any suitable USB drives to use at the moment, so I'll go buy one tomorrow. Assuming this board is slow, the thread will probably still be live, so I'll report back once I'm on Ubuntu. I only have one desktop and a laptop, so not really sure how I'm going to try putting the drive in a new computer without going out to buy an E-Sata or Sata-Usb converter cable.

Also, turns out the computer froze again only a minute after booting, with only speccy and a steam download running.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.