[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Parasite Eve the original Final Fantasy 7? I know storywise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Aya58.jpg (393 KB, 557x899) Image search: [Google]
Aya58.jpg
393 KB, 557x899
Was Parasite Eve the original Final Fantasy 7? I know storywise it is a loose sequel to the book of the same name but virtually everything else reminds me of what Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted FF7 to be in his original drafts. The whole New York motif and the detective job it's all there. Even the characters from PE resemble characters from FF7 (Aya=Cloud, Daniel=Barret, Eve=Jenova, Klamp=Hojo). It just seems like too close of a connection to be coincidental. Is Parasite Eve the very game that shows us what FF7 could've been it seems too big to just have taken small influences from Sakaguchi's old ideas.
>>
No. The development for FF7 is widely documented and what you've presented is totally false conjecture.
>>
>>3219461
According to Tetsuya Nomura, the series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi originally "wanted to do a detective story" with the first part involving a "hot-blooded" character named "Detective Joe", in pursuit of characters after they had blown up the city of Midgar. Many staff members chose instead to work on Chrono Trigger, and development was halted. - Final Fantasy Wikia

There was a character who was supposed to be a detective named Joe. While Joe as a character personality/desgn wise was never finalized his role was given to Aya. The city blown up could have been what the opera scene is now since it is what began Aya's search for Eve.
>>
>>3219484
Yeah, I think I've read about this in the FF Ultimania guide. Sounds plausible, too, seing as devs reuse assets and ideas all the time.
>>
Wow this is news to me. I had no clue this is what originally VII was meant to be. I always thought it was going to be Cloud, Barret and Aeris only in Midgar, based on those old Gamefan interviews.

Anyway, it all sounds very plausible.
>>
Xenogears was actually supposed to be ff7 from what i heard. But the story was too dark so the boss people changed their minds. Thats also the reason the 2nd disk was shit
>>
>>3220437
I thought the reason the second disc was rushed was because of Takahasi not properly budgeting the game (it was his first game he was directing right?) and apparently FF8 also cut into the game's budget, resulting in even less money for the game's development.
>>
>>3220472
Most of xenogears team and funding was moved to ff7 and then ff8 shortly after. Mostly due to the fact that xenogears didnt "feel" too much like a ff title (mad people dying all over the place in game and somewhat convoluted story) they bugeted properly, the problem was that their budget was cut and xenogears devs were basically left with the short end of the stick and half a game. Thats the reason most of xenogears devs left to make their own company(cant remember the name). But dudes forgot that they didnt have the rights to the game, so couldnt continue the story. Thats where xenosaga came in
>>
>>3219420
>>3220437
Yes, from what i recall Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve and xenogears where early versions of FFVII that turned out to be their own games
>>
>>3220504
I honeslty wish theyd gone with 2d sprites for ff7 like ct or xeno. The cutsenes and battle scenes were awesome, but why the fuck does cloud look jacked as fuck, but with twig elbows?
>>
>>3219484
That's your proof? Meanwhile there are at least two tech demos that show FF7 as a sequel to 6, and another set in a generic fantasy town/setting, both easily found with Google.

Again, what you are saying is ridiculous and nobody should take any FF Ultimania seriously as they have been wrong before (i.e. saying 7 and 10 take place on the same planet.)
>>
It's more fair to say FF7 was the original PE. It's pretty clear a lot of the unused ideas went to it
>>
I really need to play this again
>>
>>3220512
Because joints, man.

Also, Sony wanted to feel the growing pains of 3D passing through it's cervix.
>>
>>3220512
Super deformed was very popular in the 90s before all games were manditory hyper realistic western garbage.
>>
>>3220502
That would be Monolithsoft, they're owned by Nintendo now though.
>>
>>3220514
There was never a sequel to 6 planned. Do you mean the one image of that scrapped SNES Final Fantasy? If pic related is what you mean then they only used the characters of 6 simply for placeholders that doesn't mean they were going to use them. You're making shit up sorry.
>>
>>3221748
>>3221760
I just woild like to see some more truly great 2d rpgs. Sprites look so much better(to me) than 3d models
>>
>>3222428

he might be talking about that hideous N64 tech demo
>>
>>3219484

A lot of people around here think that great game devs are geniuses whose perfect ideas are thwarted by various inferiorities such as LCD screens, emulation, censorship, and port differences. The thing with game design is that your first idea is almost always a jumping off point, and is rarely ever what ends being in the final product because game design concepting is a process.

You of course could still be correct but I just wanted to throw that out there.
>>
I'd say its more likely Parasite Eve was just made with reused cocepts/assets from early versions of FF7. Final Fantasy was already a well-established money-printer for Squaresoft and I doubt they would so drastically abandon the structure of the game if favor of the more survival-horror oriented PE.
>>
File: FfVI-tech_demo.gif (28 KB, 395x218) Image search: [Google]
FfVI-tech_demo.gif
28 KB, 395x218
>>3222428
>You're making shit up sorry.

How does it feel to be this ignorant? I said two, I meant two.
>>
>>3223214
The same thing I explained already but for N64 so yes you are making up shit and should just stop. Yes there were two of them but not for the reasons that you are thinking.

A tech demo is to study a hardware's capabilities or testing a new engine that is being built. Tech demo's aren't meant to be sneak peeks on an upcoming products they are simply tests used to gain an understanding of what they can accomplish with the new foreign hardware that the producers are looking to use.

Remember that FF7 tech demo for the PS3? You seriously thought they were using that to make a game? Same goes for that OoT tech demo for the gamecube or that Zelda WiiU tech demo. Your have sources but they don't prove anything on what you are trying to argue about. The anon who mentioned FF7 was going to be Xenogears he was right on that and I looked into it out of curiosity. I am open and accepting of new information not lies with nonsensical claims.
>>
>>3223182
>I'd say its more likely Parasite Eve was just made with reused cocepts/assets from early versions of FF7.

That's what he means. And it's definitely true. PE seems to be based on the unused story elements of FF7.
>>
>>3223150
>>3224590
>N64
The tech demo never used any of that system's technology, nor did Square ever consider developing FF7 on it though.
>>
>>3224613
They were certainly planning on making their next Final Fantasy on the system before moving to Sony. No ideas were made then for 7 they were only testing hardware which is what you see in the picture.
>>
>>3224627
>They were certainly planning on making their next Final Fantasy on the system before moving to Sony.
Uhh, about that..

>Sakaguchi: It was starting to become clear to us what the memory capacity for the different next-gen consoles would be. Our games were going to need a huge amount of memory. The Final Fantasy VI CG demo we made for the Siggraph exhibition took 20 megs all by itself. We thought that demo had a lot of visual impact, so there really wasn’t much question about which hardware we would use; if we were going to realize the promise of the demo we had shown at Siggraph, nothing but the CD-ROM format would suffice.

>Another reason for choosing the CD-ROM was related to price. I think one of the big reasons the first Final Fantasy was favorably received by players, and the later games in the series gained so many fans, was that you could buy those games for around 5000 to 6000 yen. We tried to have the same pricing for Bahamut Lagoon, Gun Hazard, and our other later Super Famicom games, but using cartridge ROM meant those games had to be sold for over 10000 yen. New players did not flock to those games like they had before. If we used CD-ROM for Final Fantasy VII, we’d be able to have a 2-disc game at a price of 5800 yen. I was hoping it would be possible to make a game that could sell several hundred thousand copies.

Source: http://shmuplations.com/ff7/
>>
>>3224853
ME NO BELIVESSSSSS!!!! Just kidding everything from this article is pretty interesting too.
>>
>>3223182
That's what he meant, you dense retard.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.