[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X6 had great boss designs, cool armors for X, an amazing soundtrack,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 516512_44349_front[1].jpg (92 KB, 640x630) Image search: [Google]
516512_44349_front[1].jpg
92 KB, 640x630
X6 had great boss designs, cool armors for X, an amazing soundtrack, an awesome end fight against Sigma, and was overall fairly memorable, which is way more than you can say about X5.

For all the stupid shit in the game, X6 is pretty underrated. Its way better than X5 at least, which was a bland, boring mess.
>>
>>3211143
I loved X6 as a kid, I even finished it on Xtreme but damn the nightmare system was pure bullshit.
>>
>>3211143
>Great boss designs
Some were good. Yammark, Mijinion, Heatnix, Wolfang. The other four sucked shit.

>cool armors
Not really.

>amazing soundtrack
Damn right.

>awesome end fight
Not really. Should have ended with the Gate fight.

>way better than X5
Hm no. X6 only has one fun stage - Mijinion's. The rest range from subpar to horrendous. Most of X5's stages are at least passable, though I'd say McWhalen and Heatnix are about equal in shittiness.
>>
X6 is an excellent game but with killer flaws.

I want to see a romhack of this game that's abridged, re-translated, difficulty balanced, and has things like blind jumps fixed or removed.
>>
>>3211143
all of that is true, but the main portion of the game, the stages, sucked absolute shit. it's like the game was only tested using the Ultimate armor. I know it was an under 3 month turnaround from X5, but that doesn't excuse how bad it is.

>>3211327
>Should have ended with the Gate fight
absolutely right. at least they finally killed Sigma off for good in X8, but he should have stayed dead from X5
>>
>>3211143

> way better than X5 at least, which was a bland, boring mess.

You must be on crack. If you wanna defend a game that you THINK is underrated, go ahead, but please don't try to do it by diminishing an entry to the series that was perhaps the best planned X game on the ps1. It had way more purpose than X6 for sure. X6 is great in many aspects, but:

- most of the boss sprites are horrible looking, shit animations and lack of color pallet, unfaithful to their illustrations (ex: Heatnix);

- weird pacing in many levels, when the whole thing should have a nice rhythm, being an side scrolling game such as mega man;

- bullshit plot holes to give fans "what they wanted" back then, like Zero's comeback;

- the last fight with sigma is WAY less interesting than x5's full circle theme. Again, poorly animated sprites and just an overall weakened villain, you can't be serious about your statement.

- the armors are cool in design, but they're so extreme in their own way, and due to the annoiance in the latter stages, you would be a fool not to prefer to stick to shadow armor all the way. Why give us 2 armors, if one is the best overall..

- Gate had a cool background related to Alia, but was blatantly discarded to bring Sigma back once more, as a bum.
>>
I made me a (hacked) savefile of X5 right after the intro stage with all dialogues already checked on all 8 main stages (so no Alia interruptions) and both X's Fourth Armor and Zero's buster. Then I made an X6 save file after the intro stage with all the reploids already rescued.

Now I enjoy these games a lot more.
>>
>>3211431
>- Gate had a cool background related to Alia, but was blatantly discarded to bring Sigma back once more, as a bum.
When I played this, I felt Gate was the actual final boss and Sigma's battle was more like a funny post game story-driven bonus.
Since he's so easy to beat and the story talks about how he wasn't completely brought back yet.
I was very into the story at the time (15 y/o), and I though it was kind of cool that they did a weak final boss just because it made sense for the story. That left X5 as the actual climax, and X6 more of a closer of loose ends before ending the series. I never expected it to continue on X7, specilly after Zero 1 was released.

But yeah, I play the game now, and, as a standalone game, it feels anticlimatic as fuck.
>>
File: plasma donut.jpg (16 KB, 160x146) Image search: [Google]
plasma donut.jpg
16 KB, 160x146
inb4 hideofbeast
>>
File: blastoff.jpg (30 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
blastoff.jpg
30 KB, 540x405
>>3211143
I literally can't tell X5 and X6 apart. Played and beat each once, but I can't for my life remember which boss or plotline is in which

Also: blastoff BLASTOFF blastoff
>>
>>3211345
I'm surprised nobody has hopped on something like that after all this time. X6 with a few tweaks could easily be one of the best X games.
>>
File: harmony.png (53 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
harmony.png
53 KB, 800x800
>>3211143
This game is probably my favorite on the PS, it felt so fucking good slashing my way through every stage with X's Ninja armor.
>>
>>3211480
Why was this acceptable stage design from Capcom?

Contra games got away with making boss rush stages because the bosses were *well-designed*. In MMX6, they give you these fucking things with the most basic of AI patterns. Even Sniper Joe or a Metool are more advanced than these things.

Also, some of the stages that aren't completely awful are just unremarkable. Commander Yammark's stage is just boring, but with good music.
>>
>>3211516
x5 names the bosses after guns and roses characters, x6 didn't seem to have a translation team. that's how i remember them apart
>>
>>3211143
>when you fail to save a reploid they're gone forever, even if you replay the level

I can't think of a bigger waste of programming, but otherwise it's a good game. I enjoyed it a lot more than the vastly overrated Zero subseries.
>>
>>3211143
This game is utter garbage and you need the most misguided standards to believe otherwise.

>Its way better than X5 at least
Some things it did better, many it did worse.
>>
>>3213061
I can't think of a single thing X5 did better
>>
>>3211345
I would actually pay for an X6 remake, that game has way too much potential that was wasted, it would be the most fun X game after X2 otherwise.
>>
>fight Yammark first
>walk up to his face
>spam triangle button (the saber)
>dies in 3 seconds

That never gets old. Also love how you can do that to a couple bosses as Zero, except his is the buster, and does even more damage.
>fight Shield Sheldon as Zero
>wait til he throws shell pieces
>dash under them
>mash triangle button in Sheldons face
>win

So, I've always wondered...

Is there any easy way to beat Gate as Zero? All these years later and I still hate that cocksucker. I can beat him first try without dying usually but I end up using both sub tanks every time. I'd like to beat him some day as Zero without having to use a sub tank.
>>
File: MMX6-Z-Rekkouha3-SS.png (5 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
MMX6-Z-Rekkouha3-SS.png
5 KB, 320x240
>>3211480
"Chu!"
>>
>>3213391
I did it with one sub tank once. You just gotta be careful and not use the saber extension part.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.