[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daggerfall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
What does /vr/ think of Daggerfall? How far in the game did you get?
>>
Wanted to play more of it, but unfortunately the game gives me severe motion sickness, so I've only played the first bit of it.
>>
>>3205113
only the first dungeon is any fun to go through and the rest of the game is disappointing. it would be very fondly remembered if it wasn't "precedurally generated" garbage. combat is amazing, spells are fucking cool, even shit like bartering was fun because you find stuff around the store and all of this with weird abilities like the ability to speak to dragons and to create weaknesses for yourself. such a waste of good potential, hope daggerxl leads to some great fan total conversions (and not just porting other games like morrowind or whatever else to the engine)
>>
I dont think I ever got past more than 4 story missions.

However I spent 100s of hours exploring the bay.
>>
>>3205149
It just needed a better algorithm to generate dungeons. Maybe something seed based so that they didnt change when you left.

Also, all story dungeons should have been hand made.
>>
Is there a mod that lets you use a controller over keyboard and mouse? Just not a fan of First person RPGS not being controller based.
>>
I enjoy it, but I never get too far into the story or any factions. What I like to do is find a nice looking region, find a town with the services I like as well as the two or three factions I'm part of, and settle down there. I like to memorize where everything is, and just work+live there.

This gets a bit dull after a little while, though.
>>
>>3206238
You can XPadder it pretty easily. Steam Controller works great as well.

I played it a bit for the first time recently last summer during graveyard shifts at work and during project calls that I wasn't really needed for. I had some fun with it but the procedural generation got boring fast, especially when it felt like every new local I came across was the same graveyard with the same exact tomb dungeon. Could have been an awesome game if the algorithm were better or if a bit more of the game was actually hand made.
>>
>>3205113
One of my favorite games of all times, I like it so much that I made a tabletop roleplaying version of it /tg/ style

However, as much as it shames me, I've never managed to finish the game because the game bugs and I find it more fun to do the same thing as this anon >>3206324
>>
Every time I play it I dagger-fall asleep.
>>
File: AR-Race-Nigguard_Male.jpg (26 KB, 298x400) Image search: [Google]
AR-Race-Nigguard_Male.jpg
26 KB, 298x400
I feel like the Daggerfall's predecessor Arena is more fun to play for short bursts having less bugs and simpler mechanics.
>>
>>3210012
There's not enough variety in the monsters and settings though. Staff should maybe have had five or six pieces.
>>
>>3206135
Dungeons aren't even randomly generated. Not even during installation. Everyone has the exact same dungeons and locations.
>>
>>3205113
loved morroind, how does this daggerfall stack up
>>
>>3213252
It's hard to compare the two. Despite both being open-world role-playing games and part of the same series, each game provides a very different experience.
Daggerfall is a very fun game after you get used to... well, everything. Try it out and see for yourself.

For anyone wanting to play Daggerfall:
http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
>>
I'm playing Daggerfall now and I can see what people mean about the dungeons.

Not to say I don't like it, it is interesting to play something this huge... but I can see this getting pretty frustrating sometimes.
>>
>>3211623

Allow me to clarify.

Dungeon loot.

Go find this loot item that is randomly located in this giant dungeon.

But you cant leave or itll be somewhere else, so start over with your search.

Or, whoops, it fell through the world so its impossible to find now.

Having a system where quest items would spawn in certain dungeon blocks, then ensuring all dungeons had at least one of the blocks, wouldve made things more bearable.
>>
>>3205113
First rat, then I gave up.
>>
>>3210012
What kills Arena for me are the controls; same reason I couldn't get into Ultima Underworld.
At least Daggerfall offers the option to rebind them.
>>
>>3215334
You're meant to use a mouse. Are you on a laptop or something?
>>
>>3205113
I cant fucking hit anything when i attack. id love to play it but im just sitting there swinging and hitting things like 2 out of every 10 swings.
>>
>>3205113
Beat the game using the wiki and some exploits when i got stuck in dungeons. That said, my goal is to play it again soon and explore/see everything and become godly. Really fun game, only rpg i ever felt i roleplayed in (probably because im a jrpg guy). Wish prostitutes never got cut, id always bed down for the night at inns with whores lol.

Someday I'll beat Arena, even if I have to power-game my way through it.
>>
>>3215830
Forgot to add: i love the starting premise to DF. Pretty slick being the emperors inside guy in the bay. Probably why I'd always roll a rogue-ish character.
>>
File: daggerfall is a racist game.png (91 KB, 657x432) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall is a racist game.png
91 KB, 657x432
>>
>>3215849
God yes. Starting is so sweet.

Then I spend the next 50 hours fucking around, not doing what I was asked.
>>
>>3215849
The cool thing about being the emperor's secret agent is that it fits with any character type you can create. No matter what character you make, you can always fit the main quest into your story.

Even if your class is completely different from a spy-type character, you can always say it's your cover. Or that's why you're the agent, because nobody would assume you'd be one.
>>
I got destroyed by the first bat and gave up
>>
>>3205113
This thread inspired me to try it out for the first time. Got past the starter dungeon and I was actually having some fun, up until I got my first quest to rescue a hostage in a dungeon or whatever.

The main dungeons are unbelievably massive to the point of tedium. I searched through for almost an hour and a half through dozens of branching paths and dead ends and never found my quest objective. Maybe I'm a pleb but I just couldn't find that fun. The shitty automap system didn't help matters either.
>>
>>3217353
How?
I got killed by it too but thats because I had no idea what I was doing.
>>
>>3215637
Two ways to fix it.
>minmax SPD to 90+ on character creation to get 2 -> 4 times as many hits per second
>don't go below 50 DEX, and actually use the weapon your character is good with
>>
>>3215334
http://www.moddb.com/games/arena/downloads/tes-arena-remapped
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.