[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you like /vr/ games? For me the simplicity of sprites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: 1404666583692.gif (150 KB, 548x412) Image search: [Google]
1404666583692.gif
150 KB, 548x412
Why do you like /vr/ games? For me the simplicity of sprites is very calming. Life is too complicated. Games shouldn't be. It's just relaxing to look at older games sometimes you know.
>>
The art style, the challenge and that they run on toasters.
>>
File: image_by_yasu17-d9bwufc(3).jpg (325 KB, 575x358) Image search: [Google]
image_by_yasu17-d9bwufc(3).jpg
325 KB, 575x358
>>3199762
What video game is that?

There are many elements that are present in /vr/ games that just aren't incorporated in modern day games. This is coming from someone who isn't even 20 yet. Not because they are old or "different" I like my share fare of more recent titles but there is just this distinctive charm and style about older games that just draw me in that newer games cannot. There are so much that I can choose as examples for what I mean like SotN, FF6, Sonic CD, Maro RPG, Seiken no Densetsu 3, Super Metroid, aLttP, I could name so much more.

What are your favorite old skool games and why do they stick out to you?
>>
File: SimCity-2000-Box-Cover-Art[1].jpg (3 MB, 1527x1917) Image search: [Google]
SimCity-2000-Box-Cover-Art[1].jpg
3 MB, 1527x1917
>>3199916
highly recommended
>>
I just like video games. I'll play modern ones too if they're good. retro is a bullshit term when applied to that particular question.
>>
>>3199934
Go back to your containment board you fucking moron.
>>
>>3199916
>>3199921
Seconded. Simcity 2000 is the best.

"Comfy" is overused a lot around here, but it's really deserving of it.
>>
File: Klonoa.png (603 KB, 637x640) Image search: [Google]
Klonoa.png
603 KB, 637x640
I like /vr/ games, I like modern games and I like the inbetween games. It doesn't have to be one or the other and it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I like playing PS1 games and early PS2 a lot because I think it strikes that perfect balance between technical power and development team/budget sizes for games. It was when not everything was set in stone and things were relatively cheap to produce so there are tons of crazy and unique games that couldn't exist anywhere else.

Needless to say there has always been great games being made if you know where to look and the main reason I visit this board is to find gems I might have otherwise never heard about. I feel disappointed when I open a thread and see nothing but arguing and shitflinging about insignificant matters rather than embracing what we love about games in the first place I'm looking at you Castlevania threads

I'm not sure why I typed all this out but I guess my answer is that I love great /vr/ games for being great games, not for being /vr/ games.
>>
>>3199921
>>3199947
Was guessing it was some sort of SimCity. Never was interested in the franchise but this may very well be an exception. Thanks anons.
>>
>>3199951
I think we all appreciate these old games, even with their flaws. Nobody really hates them, they say "X or Y game is shit" on 4chan, but it's different in real life.

I think even fart boy can appreciate the Genesis now and then, same with the Mario 64/Crash guys, Sonic/Mario people, the F-Zero/Wipeout guys, the SF/VF/Tekken guys, on and on. It's our love of hatred that brings us together.
>>
>>3199938
He's right though. Games were great when it was just small teams making them, people who knew and loved games. Now it's all CEOs and other suits dictating how to make it and they know nothing about games and end up ruining them.
>>
>>3199938
your pretty hostile...
>>
File: ATARI.gif (2 KB, 216x199) Image search: [Google]
ATARI.gif
2 KB, 216x199
>>3200007
>Now it's all CEOs and other suits dictating how to make it and they know nothing about games and end up ruining them.
>>
I know it's an overused and somewhat empty term but atmosphere. I love early polygonal graphics and my brain somehow fills in the blanks. Horror games become more unsettling.
>>
>>3199762
Quite simple really - /vr/ covers a gigantic stretch of time, so within those years many worthwhile masterpieces were made. There's no reason not to play those games. It's not the matter of liking retro really, just liking video games in general.
>>
>>3200080
This.
>>
>>3199762
Doesn't apply to all /vr/ games, but the 16-bit era has a certain feel to it. SNES RPG's in particular have a certain combination of whimsy, awe, and adventure that just doesn't seem to exist 5th gen onward (Skies of Arcadia comes close, though).
>>
>>3203124

I dunno man, I'm gonna argue the point

Suikoden I and II
Breath of Fire 3
Xenogears

just to name a few off the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, SNES RPG's are great, but there were plenty of great RPGS with that right amount of charm that the SNES had.

Also not retro ones that come to mind;

Odinsphere
Resonance of Fate
Xenosaga
Disgaea (Maybe one of the most charming games in existence)
>>
>>3199762
Several reasons

>good games
>pixel art
>competent minimalism
>nostalgia
>non-meme soundtrack
>no pointless / endless tutorials
>>
>>3200031

Atari wasn't corporate management until the crash though
>>
>>3199762
I've been interested in old and new games equally. But new games are just total crap to me now. I'm burned out.
Meanwhile I have stacks of old games I never really sat down and got into. I've had more fun doing this than any session of Super Sm4sh Bros or Xenoblade has brought me.
>>
>>3203137
I misspoke, when I thought 5th gen I meant afterwards, PS1 era very much had that 90's JRPG magic.
>>
>>3199921
>>3199762
I'd argue that SC3K is better than 2K, but both are legendary.

I could never get into SC4

Obviously Neo-SimCity™ with Always Online™ and Multiplayer For Some Reason™ is total garbage

I'm waiting until Cities Skylines has a few more expansion packs and/or a GOTY/Complete edition before I make a verdict on that one
>>
File: im 35000 and what is this.png (7 KB, 88x113) Image search: [Google]
im 35000 and what is this.png
7 KB, 88x113
3k has some annoyances. The petitioners live 35,000 years and pester you the whole time. Whereas your utility buildings — all of the damn things — only live 50-100 years and don't automatically replace themselves. So you have to make expensive deals. ...That the petitioners will protest for 35,000 years.

On the other hand, while 2k looks excellent, 3k looks beautiful and the simulation itself has some great background mechanics.
>>
>>3210268
>the simulation itself has some great background mechanics
to me SC3k simply was "too serious". Some of the silly stuff was gone and the simulation was too deep and "hard" for casual city building. SC2k was just the sweet spot between SC's simplistic and shallow sim and SC3k's sim overload.
>>
>>3210268
>>3210278
also, 3k, and 4 even more so, simply got too big. As much as people shit on SC (5), it got the size and simulation approach right. Metropolis simulations are a dime a dozen, but it's called Sim City, not Sim Metropolis. I'm far more interested in toying with interactions within a city than building something bigger and bigger.
Knowing the response that SC (5) received, including for its city size, I know I'm in the minority with that.
>>
>>3210289
Skylines has a smaller scope than SC4, too. have you tried that one?
>>
>>3210310
still looks huge, I'll pass
>>
>>3210325
it's britty good, but boils down to traffic simulation. optimized traffic is fun. i only played 2k though otherwise
>>
>>3210360
>boils down to traffic simulation
problem found
>>
up
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.