[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STG/Shmups Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: galaga.png (3 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
galaga.png
3 KB, 256x192
Whatcha playin' /vr/?
>>
>>3201406
The other night I was playing R-Type on the original cabinet. I cleared stage 4 for the first time, and actually made it through those first 4 stages on one life. Then stage 5 came and annihilated my anus.
>>
>>3201406
TwinBee

I still don't understand everything about the power up system

but if I ask some dickhead will call me a retard

Also Galaga, that is a great game, and Space Invaders
>>
>>3201440

I don't remember exactly now but you want to keep shooting the bells until they get red, silver or multicolored.
One of these gives you a shield, another gives you a triple shot and another gives you a shadow powerup that multiplies your shots by 3 when you're moving.
You can't have both the triple shot and the shadow, once you get one of them, the other bell will stop coming.
If you keep shooting the bells they will eventually turn into a bee, don't shoot the be and grab it instead for a lot of points.
>>
>>3201440
I love twinbee, but it's weapon upgrade system is so much of a distraction it's almost another enemy in the game.
>>
>>3201440
The first TwinBee? You shoot the clouds to bring the bells out, then shoot the bells enough times to change their color. Yellow bells give you score, and all the other colors are different power ups.

Oh yeah, and you're a retard I guess.
>>
>>3201445

Oh and the blue bell is speedup
>>
>>3201445
>>3201450
>>3201451
Thanks

What determines what bell gives you what power up, is it the same every time or random? Am I wrong for thinking the shadows power up is the best by far? What about stuff on the ground, is that just for points?
>>
>>3201489

I think it's determined by the amount of shots it receives.
And yeah I think the shadow is the best because if you move horizontally the shots cover a great part of the screen, although the triple shot has more range if you aren't moving.

The apples give you just points I think, but some enemies on the ground leave some bottle or star item that I think also work for speedup or powerup, can't remember for sure now.
>>
>>3201489
>What determines what bell gives you what power up, is it the same every time or random?
They're sequential. You have to shoot a bell five times (doesn't necessarily has to be the same one) to change its colors. The sequence goes yellow -> white (5 shots) -> blue (10 shots) -> green (15 shots) -> red (20 shots)
Note that the sequence varies on the FC and MSX versions.
>Am I wrong for thinking the shadows power up is the best by far?
It's pretty effective, but I always preferred the barrier.
>What about stuff on the ground, is that just for points?
If you destroy certain ground enemies, you will get a ground bell which upgrades your standard shot.
>>
>>3201406
Dodonpachi, Mars Matrix, Raiden, Macross Plus and Gradius I, II, III and R-Type II.
>>
Ikaruga is still the most shit shmup.

Cave is still the most overrated company.
>>
>>3201837
Objective truth.
>>
>>3201837
>>3201845

Oh, right, a shmup thread isn't complete without clowns like you.
>>
>>3201850
Get fucked Ikaruga babby.
>>
>>3201889

Never played Ikaruga myself, I think I will though, looks fun.
>>
File: Vulgus.jpg (331 KB, 850x1198) Image search: [Google]
Vulgus.jpg
331 KB, 850x1198
>>3201406
Capcom's first game. Vulgus.
>>
>>3202167

>POINTING GAME

STG and shmup confirmed for not real genre name

Seriously though, that's cool. Was it similar to Xevious?
>>
FF Tactics on my tablet
>>
>>3202172
Not quite. You don't shoot bombs at targets that are on the ground like you do in Xevious. You do however get a cannon that has limited ammo. When you fire this cannon the shot can go through many enemies at once thus giving you some big points if you pull it off correctly. So when you a formation of enemies that are in a straight line you try to use this cannon on them. Other than that it's a top down scrolling shmup like Truxton, Dragon Spirit, 1942 or Xevious.
>>
>>3202167
If oldschool shmups were pointing games, does that make bullet hell shit dodging games?
>>
Picked up Batrider again. It's so awesome, but I don't seem to be getting better at all.
>>
I'm messing with castle shikigami 2, fantasy zone and gyruss.
>>
File: DBFGAback.jpg (95 KB, 650x455) Image search: [Google]
DBFGAback.jpg
95 KB, 650x455
Anyone else played galg on famicom? It's more of an exercise in patience than actual skill but I like it. I think if the formula was expanded on it could be a really interesting game.
>>
>>3201406
Playing Klonoa DtP as sugested in the other thread. Currently enjoying it a lot, but I really hope it gets harder cause I've been basically breezing through it so far.
>>
>>3201406
Blue wish resurrection plus and strikers 1945
>>
File: DSCN0472.jpg (457 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0472.jpg
457 KB, 1600x1200
R-Type 3 and getting my shit pushed in, I never really played shmups as a kid

Also playing this but taking a small break because I started getting frustrated. I'm gonna try it on easy until I figure it out. I keep dying at the first fortresses
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.