[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Palfag problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: nes_vs_front.jpg (200 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
nes_vs_front.jpg
200 KB, 800x600
Hello /vr/
I'm an eurofag and somewhat a perfectionist, well maybe not in the scale of true retro gamers. I would like to play NES games on an CRT TV. I have a PAL Wii softmodded. Now do you think it would be worth it to buy NTSC NES, get it shipped and go through the shit of finding good CRT, making sure it supports NTSC 60Hz, get right power cable and so on? If I'm going to buy a real NES it's going to be NTSC, I don't want slowed down 50Hz games. (I'm aware of the optimization on some of them) I guess there's no a reliable mod on PAL NES to make it play flawlessly NTSC?

Other thing is if I'm going to stick with Wii, does Wii have input lag over RGB SCART on CRT? Maybe some kind of lagg will occur of course because of emulating, but on top of that is there input lagg?

I guess the first question is pretty much if you have a better idea of playing NES games as close to the real thing as possible in euro without the need of dumping so much money and time on it?
>>
>>2793092
I would emulate because blowing on the cartridge and losing your saves all the time is some bullshite.
>>
My general experience with PAL has been that it's always inferior. Even if you can mod the console to hit 60hz, they generally have a messed up crystal oscillator that actually locks the framerate to 59.7 or some shit, which means that I have to adjust my set every time I want to use my mega drive because it's all shifted over.

My short foray into NES stuff made me realise it's a hassle. You need the US power supply, because for some dumb-shit reason the NES uses AC. My Famicom uses the same fucking plug as my Super Famicom, which is also shared by my Mega Drive. The Famicom isn't a great choice because you need to lift a fucking pin and solder in a composite connection, or spend a few hundred bucks on a NESRGB.

Honestly, just emulate. I believe the Wii can be made to output at 240p so you'll get a crystal clear RGB picture for nothing, which is far less than a NES would cost with an Everdrive and NESRGB.
>>
>>2793109
Yea that's what I was afraid of, that it's just gonna turn into a big hazzle. But can't I just get a spare DC cable with the same output as NES needs? I'm not aware of these things.

>>2793101
Well boohoo, I would of course take care of the cartridges, and clean them well instead of blowing in them. And that would be cool and all to own the real thing, but I forgot to mention that I would buy Flash cartridge.
>>
Any DC adaptor will work just as well (providing it has the expected tension / intensity / barrel polarity / etc), yes.

The only way a PAL NES can be "modded" is essentially by replacing the whole CPU by its NTSC counterpart, eg, by buying a new console in the first place. Not worth it. Also, everything works in composite internally so the picture will look like ass matter what (and RGB mods are not trivial at all, since the chip itself would have to be replaced here again), even on a CRT. I'd say don't waste your time with it and just emulate, unless you're going for a collection thing maybe.
>>
>>2793147
AV composite works internally? Are you sure? I've heard it can be black and white on PAL CRT..
>>
>>2793160
I've heard that I would need to make sure the CRT accepts 60Hz ntsc to make it work (have color)

Does the wii have input lagg?
>>
>>2793160
Err no. Colors. What I meant is that the console is incapable of RGB (PAL and NTSC alike) since it handles everything in composite (and poorly might I add).
The games were fun but the hardware was quite the opposite of stellar.
>>
>>2793292
Ah, my english skills right there fooled me. But I don't actually care about RGB, I think that since NES only was capable of AV it should be used.
>>
>>2793109

One small issue with the Wii is that Retroarch emulators require you to set 240p in settings every time you load up a game, which is why I eventually caved in and bought an actual SNES. For the NES though FCE-Ultra is super accurate AND supports it on boot, so it's a very solid option for NES and I can't really justify anything else.
>>
>>2793628
What about input lagg ? I bet there is some because of the wireless controllers, is it going to affect my gaming?
>>
>>2793092
Unless you're in some fucked up part of Eurostan it will be cheap and easy to find a TV that does NTSC.
Another option is to get an Asia PAL famicom. This plays famicom games at the correct speed but outputs a PAL signal.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.