[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /vr/ (noob question)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 2aa0dxk.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2aa0dxk.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
So I managed to pick up an NTSC SNES pretty cheap recently but I live in the PAL region. It came with a standard American AC adapter, with the two -pin end. I have an american-to-european adapter so that I can plug it in, but I'm worried about the voltage and frequency differences between NTSC and PAL regions, and whether or not it would be dangerous to plug it in without some kind of converter. I heard that some equipment is frequency and voltage insensitive, but I don't know much about the SNES.

Is there something I should know? Or is it pretty common to use an NTSC SNES in Europe? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>3194926
If the adapter says something like "Input: 100-240V~, 50-60Hz," then you will be OK to use it without an additional converter.

American power lines are something like 110VAC RMS at 60 Hz, while your power is probably something like 220VAC RMS @ 50 Hz. If the adapter has all four of those numbers on it, it works in either situation. I don't know off the top of my head whether the original SNES adapter does or not. Newer replacement adapters probably do, as almost all contemporary consumer DC electronics use region-agnostic adapters.
>>
>>3194936
Thanks, this reply was very helpful!
>>
File: 1460213344981.gif (819 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1460213344981.gif
819 KB, 500x281
You can use a mega drive model 1 pal adapter if the us snes has the same polarity as the super famicom. Don't use a pal snes one, it'll work but it's not healthy for the system at all.
>>
Ok so I just plugged it in for the first time and thankfully it didn't blow up or set on fire. Unfortunately, I can't get a video/audio feed into my tv. As far as my tv is concerned it doesn't even exist.

The SNES is on, red light appears, but when I connect it to my monitor, nothing. It just says no signal on the AC channel?
>>
>>3196404
Looks like you fried it. Dang.
>>
>>3196437
Really? I used a step down converter so that wouldn't happen. I mean like I said it turns on just fine, red light is on, I just can't get a video feed. Bare in mind I'm using a modern HD tv.
>>
>>3196446
Well, maybe the motherboard is fucked, then.
>>
>>3196446
Try rf or another cable. Could be the cable. Also modern TVs might need to be switched to or do not support ntsc in pal land. Try another TV. Can you hear sound of you plug the RCA's into a stereo? If you do it's not likely it's kaput.
>>
Oh yeah and obviously pal games don't work on an NTSC machine
>>
And first thing you should do is clean out the slot
>>
maybe is the av cable (or rf if youre using it)
you may try changing them.

if the probem continue the probably is the console
>>
>>3196578
The games I have are NTSC
>>
>>3196570
I haven't heard of a TV that doesn't support NTSC in PAL land since like the 90s.
>>
Panic averted, it's working. The game I was using is obviously fucked, tried a different game and it's working fine. Looks like hot garbage on my HDTV, which I know was to be expected, but I'm just glad I can stop worrying if its broken.
>>
>muh snes iz broken wut do?
>doesn't post in repair thread
>wuz bad cart
>meanwhile one good thread is dropped because of this shitthread
And people seriously wonder why /vr/ hates this kind of shit?
At least that's one musso refuge playing games instead of raping
>>
>>3197476
sorry didn't see the repair thread, will lurk more
>>
>>3197476
Oh no one snes vs genesis troll thread got dropped for a legitimate one, what a terrible thing.
>>
>>3196684
Glad you figured it out, I almost tossed a SNES when it turned out my copy of Yoshi's Island was fucked.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.