[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
N64 on HDTV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 21U4pSC7hnL.jpg (5 KB, 215x146) Image search: [Google]
21U4pSC7hnL.jpg
5 KB, 215x146
I live in PAL region. Is it better to hook up my N64 via chinch cable or chinch with scart converter to my HDMI? Is it the same? Is quality lost or added through the converter which comes standard with consoles? I wish I could connect the N64 to the YCbCr/YPbPr port of my HDTV like my PS2 for superior picture quality. When you put the yellow video cable in the blue port you get b/w picture but it looks far more superior. Are there any YCbCr/YPbPr n64 cables? What is the talk about s-video vs composite cable in NTSC regions? Is composite basically chinch? In europe composite is YCbCr/YPbPr. I guess s-video is the best for analogue TVs. What is the best for HDTVs?
Can u put the wii/wii u YCbCr/YPbPr cable into the n64?
>>
It is exactly the same shitty composite video.

A few things:
- Your LCD might treat the signal differently (it shouldn't) according to the input, and use different post-processing (all of which will add significant lag). If you disable all post processing ("game mode") then you'll get the same exact picture quality in the end (ton of color bleed, bad definition, everything smeared across the screen).
- PAL N64 can not output S-Video at all because Nintendo was incredibly retarded and removed all support for it. Just as it can not output native RGB as well.
- You can mod the N64 for RGB, which will provide a very significant boost in quality. You'll need to buy additional hardware (an internal amp, basically) for that to work well.
- Alternatively, use an emulator. I'm dead serious here, the original console will look like ass on a HDTV anyway.
>>
>>2783642
Funny, I also emulate, but I wanted to play Pokémon Snap again and it isn't working on emulation. Should I maybe connect the N64 to my old CRT? Will the picture quality be a bit better?
>>
>>2783635
>In europe composite is YCbCr/YPbP
No, that always has been "component", aka "YUV".

>you get b/w picture but it looks far more superior.
Composite doesn't handle color information well, at all. B&W pictures will indeed look sharp in comparison, as Chrominance information won't get in the way and "jam" the signal.

>Is composite basically chinch?
No. Composite is a signal. "Cinch" is a connector type, usually just called "RCA" (although it wasn't invented by the Radio Corporation of America at all, but whatever). Usually, composite video is carried over a yellow RCA connector, yes.
Component video ("YUV") is also carried over RCA connectors usually too (three for video, two for audio).
RGB is usually carried over SCART connectors (or, in North America, BNC connectors).
SCART is a multipurpose connector still, and can carry a lot of other signal types as well, like composite, svideo, or audio (to the TV, as well as from the TV to other devices). This is why it has a lot of pins, some being useless for consoles and unused or simply removed from the connector.

>s-video is the best for analogue TVs
No, VGA is (progressive scan), then RGB (raw unencoded picture buffer) if SD. YUV can surpass RGB in some situations, but is encoded, with encoding/decoding chips varying in quality.
If 240p, RGB SCART usually is the best and easiest way of doing things.

>Can u put the wii/wii u YCbCr/YPbPr cable into the n64?
You'll probably just get composite video over a single RCA connector, and not YUV. PAL N64s can not do S-Video, that was a design choice by the manufacturer.
>>
>>2783650
Pokemon Snap works in Dolphin.
>>
>>2783642
AFAIK PAL N64s can't be modded for RGB, but they can be for S-Video. Either that or you'll have to modify an S-Video cable, I've read something about a missing capacitor.
>>
>>2783650
>Should I maybe connect the N64 to my old CRT
That would be much better. The ideal setup is a N64 modded for RGB on a CRT TV, running at 60Hz.
Adding a frequency switch on a N64 isn't trivial, if even do-able. For 60Hz, you should just import a console from either Japan or North America.
Some PAL games are well optimized for 50Hz, especially Rare games. Perfect Dark is smoother on a 50Hz console than on a 60Hz console. That's probably the only game for which it's the case, though.
>>
>>2783656
receipts? how?
>>
>>2783659
I just tried Snap on a CRT, It indeed looked kinda sharper. But it was not a big difference, so I switched back (I'm kinda allergic to flickering).
>>2783656

>>2783651
Thank you Anon-san for the indept analysis.
Right it's component and not composite, I totally mixed that up, lmao thx.
I didn't know there is a VGA adaptor for n64, is there? I only knew of s-video and composite, that's why i said s-video is the best way to watch on analogue tv. can i connect n64 to my hdtv via vga? it has a vga port.

>>2783656
I have Dolphin. How do I even run/get the Virtual Console?
I tried it with prpject64 and gliden64 and that buffer/ram option turned on and it was a total mess lol.
>>
>>2783669
There's no VGA cable for the N64, he was just speaking about quality of connections in general. For N64 S-Video is indeed the best you'll get by default.
>>
>>2783669
Just download pokemon snap's wad file and open it up in dolphin. Pretty simple.
>>
>>2783682
you mean with nus downloader? it doesnt pack the games wad. am i doing something wrong? it worked with the system menu
>>
>>2783719
No, from the internet.
http://www.spumonte.com/files/Wii%20Apps/-%20Virtual%20Console%20-/NTSC%20Games%20(.wad%20files)/_N64_/Pokemon%20Snap%20NTSC.wad.7z
>>
This seems like a weird bug to me. Everything is working, BUT the analogue stick for control works perfectly in the game menu, but in game it doesnt work, the camera control isnt moving, every other button is working. weird
>>
>>2783837
direct3d was causing the problem. openGl fixed it!
>>
If you have a PAL N64 just fucking sell it and import, that's what I did - you can even swap out the same power supply. PAL consoles are COMPLETELY useless, Nintendo cheaped out so goddamn much you can't even get RGB and stereo without a mod.
>>
>>2784031
>can't get stereo
I don't know about your PAL N64, but mine certainly has stereo sound.
>>
>>2783659
You can't install a 50/60hz switch in an N64. In the 64 timing is determined by software not hardware like in the SNES and Genesis. Then you have the problem of the CIC in the 64. Ultimately people have decided its not worth it; if you want a 60hz 64, just buy an NTSC one. They're cheap as chips.
>>
>>2783658
Incorrect. There is a French PAL unit that can be modded for RGB (NUS-001(FRA)). Also now any N64 can be modded for RGB with etim's N64 RGB board, that takes digital information in straight from the graphics chip and outputs analog RGB.
>>
>>2784031
No N64s output RGB by default. All N64s, both PAL and NTSC output stereo audio.
>>
>>2783642
>PAL N64 can not output S-Video at all because Nintendo was incredibly retarded and removed all support for it. Just as it can not output native RGB as well.
Wrong.

You just need the right s-video cable. That being said, some PAL motherboards manufactured in 2000 did actually fully remove s-video support. But those are pretty rare motherboards.
>>
>>2785197
I stand corrected. Only the French N64 (the ones that were meant to be able to output RGB but Nintendo gave up on it for no good reason) can not output svideo in Europe, indeed. And later models.
>>
>>2783658
Wrong!
EVERY SINGLE N64 CAN BE RGB MODDED!

This fact needs to become common knowledge! Too many times I see the old trope of PAL consoles being unable to do RGB.

The UNIVERSAL N64 RGB mod comes from Tim Worthington. Creator of the NESRGB.

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209&rn=548&action=show_detail

It works with ANY N64 console. NTSC/PAL/French/Coloured/Translucent

>>2785197
PAL N64s can indeed use S-Video. Maybe not the Coloured or Pokemon versions however.
It is a unique cable though. Not good for any other console.
ConsoleGoods sell them. http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/n64/n64.htm
They sell a SCART cable too, but I have contacted them and have been told it does NOT pass S-Video type signals through the SCART connector, just Composite.
>>
>>2783635
>Are there any YCbCr/YPbPr n64 cables?

Sort of.

First you must mod the console for RGB. it can be done to a PAL console using Tim Worthington's N64RGB.

Then buy a CSY-2100 or similar RGB to YUV converter.

OR

The guys at HDRetroVison have said that their SNES Component cable works for the N64 once it has been modded for RGB (With the N64RGB from Tim). Their beta-testers have said that it works. They just can't officially say it yet.
They say it in this video:
https://youtu.be/QzQPRoOXHgI?t=2159
>>
>>2785765

https://youtu.be/QzQPRoOXHgI?t=2159

Skip to 36mins00Secs
>>
>>2783635
There is an HDMI mod in the works for N64, just saying.
>>
>>2785774
Which looks amazing. Can't wait!
It's been in the works for a fucking long time now.
I reckon maybe it might be released next year. Or possibly 2017.
>>
>>2785765
You only need Tim's board for the later board revisions. The early board revisions have RGB available to be tapped and fed to breadboard w/ an amp, and then tap that to the multiout.
>>
>>2786692
PAL versions cannot be upgraded that way.
Only early revision NTSC or French consoles can be upgraded that way
>>
File: duh.jpg (59 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
duh.jpg
59 KB, 500x369
for PAL consoles:
They CAN be RGB modded, but its exspensive unless you own the early french version NUS-001(FRA).

With the method that can be applied for every console there is a lot of soldering and wireing to be done with an already expensive ship.

If you want the easy solution, order a modified S-Video cable from http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/
>>
>>2787838
I have a PAL console that has been modified with Tim's mod.
It works perfectly.
The soldering was bloody difficult, but I persevered.
Summary:
Early French consoles can be RGB modded easily.
Early NTSC consoles can be RGB modded easily.

All other consoles:
All PAL consoles that aren't French must be modded with Tim's mod.
Later NTSC consoles must be modded with Tim's mod.
Later French consoles must be modded with Tims's mod.

PAL consoles can do S-Video with a special cable from consolegoods. But not the coloured ones.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.