[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the mechanic "if you are good at the game, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: gradius_2.png (45 KB, 768x672) Image search: [Google]
gradius_2.png
45 KB, 768x672
Where did the mechanic "if you are good at the game, the game rewards you and it gets much easier" came from?
Shouldnt it be the other way around so experiences players get a challenge?
>>
>>2782242

Beats me. Gradius sure as hell don't follow that trend, the ranking system is bound to tear you down sooner or later, OP weaponry be damned.
>>
Quarter munchers. They're designed so you either die quickly and someone else can walk up to the machine and drop money in to it, or if you are good, it gives you a rewards to keep one person constantly engaged. You could also argue it has roots in /tg/ rpgs where you level up and become more powerful. There's also a matter of design where some games are set up such that they reward time spent by making the game easier, while people who are good at it can skip various power ups and rush to the end faster. There's a reason no one gives a shit about high scores, but speed runs have a dedicated community.
>>
>>2782270
op is playing the NES port, rank is much tamer in those
>>
>>2782270
>>2782287
What ranking system?
>>
It gives you a nice feeling of empowerment and clearly shows you that you've improved. Makes all the frustration worth it. Constantly upping the difficulty if the player's doing good feels more like punishment than reward since then you're never allowed to enjoy feeling like you're a master of the game.
>>
>>2782242
That's not how physics work, you douche.
>>
>>2782242
Pretty sure it came from real life. If you're good at something you do well and get rewarded. I know it's hard to believe but before the Participation Trophy Generation that's how life worked.
>>
File: a98781_worst-art_1-artist-shit.jpg (44 KB, 450x483) Image search: [Google]
a98781_worst-art_1-artist-shit.jpg
44 KB, 450x483
>>2782710
You only get rewarded in real life for your efforts if someone pays attention to you. Even if your efforts are literally shit, you'll be rewarded and respected as long as people like what you do.
>>
You've spend tens of hours playing so you know where all the powerups are, you have a strategy of powerup progression, you know which enemies are in which locations, what environmental hazards are coming up and so on. You know the game back to front so of course it's going to be easier than when you first started.

What's the problem exactly?

Why don't you complain about a driving game rewarding you as you get good at the game?
If you've driven enough hours around the same tracks that you know them back to front and you know how the car handled and it becomes effortless it means you're good at the game. You should complain about how the game designers didn't make it so when you can finish the track in less than 3 minutes it adds another six miles full of hairpin turns to the course

Whoever can get through all of Gradius never dying and keeping fully tooled up has spent a lot of time and effort on mastering what is a tough game
>>
>>2782445
A lot of shmups include systems where the game gets harder the better you do, in more modern shmups you'll often see people doing tactical bombs/deaths to lower the difficulty
>>
>>2782752
A lot of shmups also have multiple loops where experienced players *are* challenged
>>
>>2782710
>If you're good at something you do well and get rewarded.

Pretty sure that's the exact opposite of how it works in real life. You bust your ass working 12 hour shifts in a factory for slightly above minimum wage and come home to your TV dinners and some asshole high school dropout on youtube makes 10 billion dollars a year sitting on his couch bitching about video games.
>>
>>2782284
>There's a reason no one gives a shit about high scores, but speed runs have a dedicated community.
wat? There's a whole community dedicated to high scores also, it's the core interest of the shmups and pinball communities.
>>
>>2782737
I think that's how youtubers operate.
>>
>>2782737
>>2782759
True, but once upon a time, long long ago, before there was youtube, participation trophies and many other things that reward mediocrity it did work that way. Don't take my word for it. Ask your grandparents.
>>
>>2782445
In gradius at least, the more upgraded your ship is, the more projectiles get shot at you. Also in Gradius 3 there are enemies that spawn when you have I think 3 or 4 options that steal your options.
>>
>>2782242
From capitalism.
If you're successful enough, whether through actual work or just knowing the right people, you get paid to own things and the government makes sure you can't fail.
>>
File: 1440293349167.jpg (126 KB, 600x755) Image search: [Google]
1440293349167.jpg
126 KB, 600x755
>>2782284
>There's a reason no one gives a shit about high scores,

I care about highscores when the game has a fantastic scoring system.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.