[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think of reproduction carts? Thinking about picking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: fire-emblem-thracia_grande.png (56 KB, 240x129) Image search: [Google]
fire-emblem-thracia_grande.png
56 KB, 240x129
What does /vr/ think of reproduction carts?

Thinking about picking up a few of the games that never made it overseas like pic related and was wondering what your take on it was.
>>
Waste of money if they cost anything more than 5 or 6 bucks.
>>
>>3111315
flashcart you can print your own art if you want too.
>>
>>3111315
Get a few of your favorites if you want but realistically it's not worth the money. If you want like 3-5 you're better off just buying a flash cart.

If you make them yourself and buy supplies in bulk you can get cost down to around 20-25 bucks, but if you're getting someone else to do it it's usually around 35+, scalpers usually put them on eBay for 50+.

Technically you can't sell them on eBay, I'm wondering if anyone's actually bought something on eBay and then gotten it refunded as "counterfeit/bootleg" merchandise. I know you can but I've never really seen documented proof of it.
>>
>>3111339
yeah you're probably better off buying a flash art in these situations. I refuse to buy reproduction carts unless it's like a super rare game that I'll probably never own the real thing of
>>
I bought a Sweet Home English translation, but only because it's such a curious game and could never have been released to the NA market properly.
>>
>>3111335
In the history of the world has anyone ever gotten a repro for that little? If so, tell me where you're shopping, damn.
>>
I don't like the idea of destroying existing cartridges to make reproductions. I also think that reproductions of games that were actually released in the region you're reproducing them for should have labels clearly indicating they're reproductions.
>>
>>3111467
Just buy some aftermarket pcbs. If you can find uncompressed roms like star ocean you can run some special chip games with no donor. You can reflash them if you want a different game. >>3111371
>>3111315
>>
>>3111382

Aliexpress for Genesis repro carts.
>>
Personally I think they're pretty fucking stupid. But that's just me.

If I'm going to spend money on something I'd rather buy something legit.
>>
>>3111315
Might as well get a flash cart and dump all the roms in it.
>>
>>3111518
How are you supposed to get something more legit than the english translation on an actual English cartridge?
>>
>>3111615
You buy the proper legit english release that's stupidly rare and expensive.

Or you just suck it up and emulate, or if you're really desperate to play on the original hardware you get a flashcart. It just seems silly to buy a single reproduction cartridge for one game.
>>
Are there any repo Genesis carts that improved their shit colors/sounds with a chip or anything?
>>
Never seen any for n64 and anything older than that emulate s better than a real console would play so, pretty dumb really.
>>
>>3111659
Certainly no sillier than buying an overpriced flashcart for one game.
>>
File: tmp_6253-1459044563041-76097493.png (124 KB, 423x287) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6253-1459044563041-76097493.png
124 KB, 423x287
>>3111335
Retard confirmed.

You can't even build them yourself that cheap.
>>
Definitely do it but wait till thracia gets a better translation lol
>>
>>3111504
Genesis carts can be made that cheap, but SNES pcb's are more expensive to produce. A few of the Aliexpress sellers have gotten them down to around $15 shipped for a cart which is pretty good, because with all the equipment it would cost about that much to make your own.
>>
>>3112941
more for the first one as you need to be able to flash it. once you have the setup though it's smooth sailing.
>>
Is it acceptable to buy reproductions of unreleased games if they're good?
>>
>>3113106

Do you feel it's acceptable? Why are you letting other people make decisions for you?
>>
>>3113134
Because I want to seem cool on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>3113139

Then it's not acceptable at all. Only original carts on original systems over an RF adapter connection if you want to fit in with us.
>>
>>3113134
because his name is Blurryface and he cares what you think
>>
unless you're extremely attached to the game or you want a high quality repro (ie RoseColoredGaming) for some reason, flashcarts are usually the better option. usually.
>>
Unless the money is going to the teams that translated the roms, it's fucking scummy as hell.
Also make sure the translation patch doesn't break the game on original hardware, because the moron making the repro-cart sure as hell isn't.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.