[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better? RE1 or SH1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
dumb newfag would like to know what /vr/ thinks is better. I am halfway through re1 and having a good time and never played sh1 but i herd that sh has a better story. What do you guys think?
>>
it's stupid to compare the two. they're completely different games.

SH does have a better story, though.
>>
>>3105871
>it's stupid to compare the two.

No it is not. They are both survival horror games with similar gameplay styles. They even have similar cinematic camera angles. One is just static while the other moves.

It's really tough for me to say OP. SH1 is without a doubt way scarier. It has the scariest music in the series. RE1 is so iconic. Pretty much popularized the genre. Has infamous voice acting that is so bad it becomes good. Very memorable game especially if you experienced it back then. If you are playing the DC version you even get the better auto aiming. Mansion is great fun to explore. SH1's town is also fun to explore. Much more dangerous when in the town as well. Very fast enemies that you are better off running from then fighting.

I like them both so much that I might have to say it's a draw.
>>
File: scaredshitless.jpg (78 KB, 578x375) Image search: [Google]
scaredshitless.jpg
78 KB, 578x375
>>3105853
>be 13 years old
>parents recently divorced
>random mom boyfriend comes over
>brings ps1 over with rented resident evil 1
>watch him play absolutely terrified
>snake boss appears
>holy shit this is terrifying
>mfw he is also terrified
holy shit that was a great game for it's time
>>
>>3105905
>They are both survival horror games
and that's where the similarities end.

>similar gameplay styles
the tank movement in RE is nothing like SH control scheme. sure, you can ready your gun and then shoot stuff, but at that point you might as well compare them to every other TPS.

>They even have similar cinematic camera angles
again, not exclusive to the genre, let alone these two games. I could post a shitload of licensed pachinko games with jaw-dropping 'cinematic camera angles'.

you'd be better off comparing RE to Dino Crisis, Alone in the Dark or even Parasite Eve 2 to an extend.
>>
Silent Hill is better as far as horror goes. It's scarier, has great atmosphere, and a much more intriguing plot and world setting. The feeling of being alone in a drab, empty town in the middle of nowhere makes you feel a lot more powerless than the nice mansion in RE1.

Resident Evil is better as a game. Better progression, better level design, better gameplay (mechanics, enemies/bosses, weapons, etc., although Silent Hill has better puzzles), you have multiple characters/paths. It's also spooky, and the plot is intriguing, but Silent Hill is better on that front.
>>
Silent hill is scarier and creepier. A bit harder if you ask me because 3rd person view and all that goddamn fog. I have to admit I didn't even finish it because when I did play it when I was younger I was too scares to play that shit by myself and I was usually home alone. They're equally good in content but if re2 or nemesis was in the mix thy would win. Re1 is my least favorite really.
>>
Silent Hill, Resident Evil is a clunky mess. Now going into sequels there could be some competition.

I have all of SH and RE 1-4. Both series have their ups and doens.
>>
File: reshi.jpg (284 KB, 1024x596) Image search: [Google]
reshi.jpg
284 KB, 1024x596
which is better depends on what you want from your survival horror games.
resi focuses on action, combat and puzzles.
sh focuses on story and atmosphere.
>>
SH 2 is a better game than any game in the RE series, but every retro RE game is better than every retro SH game besides SH 2

The exception to this is REmake, which is just perfect, but not retro
>>
>>3105871
>>3105942
This. Op is a dumb cunt.

I preferred SH when it was released, but prefer RE now due to all the retardation surrounding SH series.
>>
>>3106419
by this boards' standards there's only one retro SH game.

>SH2 best in the series

babbies first SH.
>>
>>3106450
>by this boards' standards there's only one retro SH game.
What's wrong with that? It should always remain this way.

>babbies first SH.
Oh your one of these fags. SH2 was the best in the series.
>>
How do I get proficient at juking past zombies in RE1? Is it really all in the hips?
>>
>>3106857
>>3106419
>>>/v/

Keep your shit there.
>>
File: Ameriboo.png (157 KB, 870x442) Image search: [Google]
Ameriboo.png
157 KB, 870x442
>>3105942
>the tank movement in RE is nothing like SH control scheme
>>
>>3106857
>What's wrong with that? It should always remain this way.

what's wrong is that saying that every retro RE is better than the original SH is arguable. they both excel at particular points.

>Oh your one of these fags. SH2 was the best in the series.

most people who say SH2 was the best know nothing about the series. I'm just assuming you're one of them.
>>
>>3105853
Siren > Silent Hill > Dino Crisis > Resident Evil
>>
File: sh1d.jpg (86 KB, 1024x763) Image search: [Google]
sh1d.jpg
86 KB, 1024x763
>>3105871
Better atmosphere too.
>>
>>3107304
>most people who say SH2 was the best know nothing about the series. I'm just assuming you're one of them.
How about explain why you think this? Why would you assume I never played these games multiple times when I did? Why can't a person like SH2 the best simply because it was the best for them?

Oh instead looks like you want to spread division for no reason. Just because someone says 2 is better does not mean they think 1 is trash.
>>
File: head.gif (489 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
head.gif
489 KB, 500x375
>>3107421
This entirely.
Each game of the Team Silent run SH series had something to offer.
Silent Hill had a magnificent atmosphere and brilliant use of camera angles.
Silent Hill 2 expanded on this and included a well-written standalone story.
Silent Hill 3 brought out the best graphics in the series and used them to full effect. Of the four, I find it the scariest.
Silent Hill 4 was experimental, and while it had quite a few misfires, it made up for them in some very unsettling moments, like pic related.

Each game had its strengths, and Silent Hill 2 was far from an exception. It's also my favorite.
>>
>>3105853
silent hill 1 for atmosphere, scares, setting, OST, puzzles (my favorite in the series and one of my favourite horror games)

RE1 is more challenging IMO because of the item management and no melee weapons except for a dinky knife
>>
File: This is Easy Mode. Select it.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
This is Easy Mode. Select it.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>3107509
I'll give you that. RE1 was a bit harder.

SH would've been a bit harder too if it weren't for that fucking hammer I used all the time.
>>
>>3107525
YES, the hammer should've been in nowhere if not removed completely
but I do believe the weapons are in different places in hard mode
>>
>>3107543
Nowhere wouldn't have been bad. Not sure you could even hit the final boss with a melee weapon. I never tried.
>>
>>3107421
playing is different than understanding and fully appreciating each of them. it also has nothing to do with SH X SH2, but rather the fact that every casual thinks SH2 is the definitive game in the series and that the cult plot is bullshit when, in reality, SH2 is just a spinoff that barely expanded on the story at all.

if you don't fit the stereotype, fine, but most SH2 fans don't know the first thing about SH as a series.
>>
>>3107590
the fight is automatically over if you have no bullets, I think
>>
>>3107646
Like you automatically win or you automatically lose?

Thank God I'm an ammo jew.
>>
>>3105853
I like them both but RE1 was always one of my favorite games. While SH may have a more interesting story, RE1 has more style and substance.
>>
>>3107653
autowin
>>
>>3107646
>>3107653

IIRC you have to run a few minutes before they let you win
>>
>>3107709
That's slightly better. That lightning shit hurts.
>>
>>3105905
>No it is not. They are both survival horror games with similar gameplay styles

You clearly haven't played them if you think this. They look similar but play totally different and even focus on different things when it comes to the scares.
>>
>>3107925
>survival horror
Check
>limited resources that need to be hunted down
Check
>tank controls
Check

They actually are both survival horror games with similar gameplay styles.
How those styles were executed are what fundamentally make them different, but the fact is they have plenty of similarities.
>>
>>3107623
>playing is different than understanding and fully appreciating each of them.
Okay agreed.

>it also has nothing to do with SH X SH2, but rather the fact that every casual thinks SH2 is the definitive game in the series
Hate to break it to you but casuals are entitled to their opinion. I doubt many casuals even browse this board.

>and that the cult plot is bullshit when, in reality, SH2 is just a spinoff that barely expanded on the story at all.
Have I ever once bashed the cult plot?

>if you don't fit the stereotype, fine
Funny how someone (don't know if you are that guy) was so willing to make assumptions about me without actually knowing why I like each game.
>>
>>3107954
>limited resources that need to be hunted down

SH doesn't have limited resources or storage space. well, it does have limited resources, but there's no urgency to find ammo unlike in RE. you'll never run out of drinks unless you suck.

>tank controls

what? SH is just in this weird spot where TPS controls weren't refined yet. they're definitely not tank controls, though.

they're hardly similar at all except for the genre.
>>
>>3107975
>Hate to break it to you but casuals are entitled to their opinion
true. they're still causal, though.

>Have I ever once bashed the cult plot?
never implied you did. I was just exemplifying what most casual think of the series.

>Funny how someone (don't know if you are that guy) was so willing to make assumptions about me without actually knowing why I like each game
you smugly stated that your favorite was SH2 without no background whatsoever. that raises a red flag. anyone would assume you're a SH2 baby.
>>
File: blastoise playing the violin.gif (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
blastoise playing the violin.gif
17 KB, 400x400
>>3107925
Anon this is like saying you can't compare Battlefield with Call of Duty because they are entirely different shooters. They both play very much similar just with certain differences. It's perfectly reasonble to compare those two just as it is reasonable to compare SH and RE.

Why some of you guys don't think this and seem almost massively butthurt that these two games can and should be compared is entirely a mystery to me.
>>3107954
I cannot believe people are actually arguing about this.

I mean are they trolling? This is ridiculous and this will be my last post on the matter. I'm not going to argue with idiots that think games similar to each other shouldn't be compared because they somehow aren't similar. Hell people even compare two totally different types of games all the time. Like say Zelda and Mario for example. Doesn't mean people shouldn't compare things.

Those dudes must either be butthurt morons are simply trolling.
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (43 KB, 450x418) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
43 KB, 450x418
>>3107978
>SH is just in this weird spot where TPS controls weren't refined yet.

>crash
>spyro
>MGS
>tenchu
>medievil
>and many more

All came out before SH1 was released. They all featured much easier to control and freer movement then SH1. SH1 absolutely has tank controls. They are just modified different version of RE's tank controls. You literally do not know what you are talking about. It amazes me the stupidity coming from you. Just stop posting for your own sake.
>>
>>3107978
>they're definitely not tank controls, though.

I don't know which version you played but the up was forward no matter where you faced. The definition of "tank control" is when the character, not the map, is the point of controller reference, so this definitely applies to Silent Hill. I replayed it about a month ago, so this isn't just some distant memory I'm recalling.
>>
>>3107985
>I cannot believe people are actually arguing about this.

It is pretty fucking bizarre, yes.
>>
>>3107978
>didn't mention storage space
>concedes that resources, while plentiful, are still limited
>completely forgot that SH1 had tank controls

Anon, if you're gonna argue you're gonna have to do better than that.
SH and RE have been famously compared to each other since SH was released.
>>
>>3107985
I'm not saying you can't compare them but to say they play alike is absurd when most of the similarities are only on a surface level. Fuck even the camera system in SH was totally different from RE.
>>
>>3108071
>IT HAS DIFFERENCES SO YOU CAN'T SAY THEY'RE SIMILAR
>ITS SIMILARITIES DON'T COUNT BECAUSE I SAY SO
>>
>>3108071
So you admit there are similarities.

And tank controls aren't a surface level thing. That directly ties into gameplay and considering the number of 3D games that ditched the concept it can be argued that Team Silent chose to keep it.
>>
>>3107709
Funny how this concept was later used for the entirety of Shattered Memories.
>>
>>3105853
apples and oranges

RE is more action oriented and is mainly about jump scares while SH is more atmospheric. in fact the first few SH games are some of the best at creating an oppressive atmosphere.
>>
silent hill because i'd still play it to this day, where res evil lost me with the cheese of the movies and later games.

I remember thinking the silent hill movie was shit aswell because the game was creepier, yet still ok. also lack of folded roads.
>>
>>3105853
SH2 > RE2 > RE3 > SH1 > RE1 imo.
>>
File: 53247-Silent_Hill_(J)-4.jpg (86 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
53247-Silent_Hill_(J)-4.jpg
86 KB, 1360x768
>>3105853
SH1 for life.
>>
>>3106857
dude you're clearly the fag here and you wake up everyday alone. sell that butt nigga
>>
Gameplay: RE1
Everything else: SH1
>>
>>3105853
I like RE, can't stand SH.

SH just is fucked up. Random bloody twitching half torsos everywhere, fucked up looking nightmare monsters, creepy environments. I guess that's all the point but I don't like it. I also don't like the recurring religious cult elements or really any of the characters.

RE I can play all the time because it's more "realistic" in a way. More sci-fi based with a virus fucking people up instead of demons reviving or whatever SH has and the characters are cooler and are honestly nice good people instead of the loonies you get in SH. Plus the colors are just brighter and the environments more fun to explore.

So yeah basically like >>3105871 said they're too different to even really compare.
>>
>>3110120
This looks a lot like bait.
>>
>>3110120
You prefer a horror game... because it's less scary than another horror game.

Ok.
>>
>>3110150
I like the atmosphere better.
>>
>>3110153
Because it's more pleasant.
>>
>>3110120
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/compare

COMPARE
>to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences:
to compare two pieces of cloth; to compare the governments of two nations.
>in order to note similarities and DIFFERENCES:

Even if what you said is true you can still compare the two dummy. You guys really need to learn the meaning of words before assuming you know it all.
>>
>>3110158
More pleasant, varied, and interesting
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (146 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
146 KB, 500x330
>>3110178
>>
Resident evil is more action oriented, silent hill is adventure/puzzle.
>>
>>3105853
RE is good for the slow build ups in tension. I like how every time you are given the feeling of progression something is waiting to either scare or try to kill you. You get satisfied with dealing with the threat and moving on, and that is what carries the game experience.

Silent Hill is different in that it's constantly scary, like all the time. With RE there are times where you feel safe, either after killing a room of zombies or making it to the next save room. Silent hill always kind of has that unsafe feeling, and it gets worse the more you play. I like how it's always slightly unsettling. A perfect example is when you are in the cafe and the demon bird things come through the glass. And yeah you could compare that to the dogs coming through the windows in RE but that room was different in that you get a jump scare upon entering and moving forward slightly. In silent hill you have the feeling of security being in that cafe and it's taken away from you.
>>
File: 1378463804954.png (183 KB, 477x342) Image search: [Google]
1378463804954.png
183 KB, 477x342
>Resident Evil
>Realistic
>>
I prefer Silent Hill, but if REmake is allowed then that is the better game.

I still prefer SH2 over all of them though
>>
>>3105853
Silent Hill, no question.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.