[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the last game you finished?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19
File: RetroArch-1031-202408.png (17 KB, 1052x982) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1031-202408.png
17 KB, 1052x982
What is the last game you finished?
>>
You haven't really finished that game because you emulated. Your victory was a hollow one, you've only beaten a cheap imitation of the game and wasted your time.
>>
File: 1445700386665.jpg (470 KB, 1516x2067) Image search: [Google]
1445700386665.jpg
470 KB, 1516x2067
If we're talking retro, then the last one I finished was Dragon Quest VII. Very long, but also very enjoyable. Great adventures were had.
>>
>>2768987
What game is that, OP?

Last one for me was Duck Tales, and before that, 100% clear of Kirby's Dream Land 2.

I gave up on Donkey Kong Country, I just don't like the game very much and decided it wasn't worth my time to clear. Now I'm either going to work on clearing Perfect Dark or Super Mario Kart. Not sure which one will be more cruel.

I kind of like how Perfect Dark requires you to more around and really 'learn' the right way to beat it, but it kind of feels annoying in a sense too, you know? Maybe because it's more difficult to aim than I'm used to with KBM shooters, and because you don't have tons 'o' health like in Doom and its kin.

I'm on the Chicago level where you infiltrate that DataDyne front, and I keep getting potshotted by guards even when I shoot out the lights and use cover. Guess I'm still a chump.
>>
>>2768987
>Last game I finished
Real most recent: Metal Gear Solid 5: TPP Truth Ending (as far as I'm concerned beating Sahelanthropus was basically the ending)

Retro Most Recent: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
>>
File: kinggrahamlookssohappy.png (108 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
kinggrahamlookssohappy.png
108 KB, 1024x768
Last week I finished King's Quest 4. It was ok. Tonight I'm starting Loom. I think it's not a very long game.
>>
Retro: DuckTales, preceded by Final Fantasy 1, currently working on Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Non-retro (if you care): Final Fantasy 10, preceded by Until Dawn, currently working on Dragon Quest Heroes: Longest Title Ever.
>>
>>2769035
King Graham looks like he knows he's getting partenered up with Cedric in his next game.

Also yes, Loom is pretty short. You can beat it in a couple of hours, no problem. Write down all your songs and remember that you can play a song backwards to get the opposite effect of the spell.
>>
File: fridaythe13thnes.jpg (13 KB, 414x360) Image search: [Google]
fridaythe13thnes.jpg
13 KB, 414x360
Finally after decades of frustration.
>>
>>2768987
Ghouls n Ghosts for the genesis. Was trying to record a no damage video, but no way. I can do it on the snes, but not on the genesis.
>>
Forcing yourself to play a game all the way to the end is a sign of autism. You should just play a game until you're bored of it and then play a different one.
>>
>>2769197
>>2769003
>>2768994
Did /v/ leak again?

>>2769028
Super Aleste
>>
Finishes Ys: Book I & II for the Turbografx-16 two weeks ago, and will finish Lunar: Silver Star Complete next week.
>>
File: 12.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
>>2769792
Are you playing on emulator?
>>
7th Saga.
Before that, Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels.
Before that, Kiki Kai Kai.
Before that, Neutopia.
Before that, Sonic 2 XL.
Before that, Lemmings and Lemmings 2.
Each of these during the last month or so.

While all of these were emulated, I don't give half a fuck because I play games cuz I like games, not to rant about accuracy or lack thereof to other people. :-)

Last non-/vr/ game I beat was... gosh, I don't even remember. I don't like many 32-bit 3D games, even /vr/ ones, and the only non-/vr/ systems I've ever owned are NDS (for many non-/vr/, /vr/-style games, such as N+ and 7th Dragon) and PSP (mostly for portable PSX and SCD emujuhlation).
>>
Soul Blazer

I love that soundtrack and I love that gameplay. I need to play through Illusion of Gaia again
>>
>>2768987
Rolling Thinder on NES
>>
Super Adventure Island 2.
>>
My first playthrough of Princess Maker 2.

I got a "passable" rating. She was going to be a cook, but her sudden interest in improving artistic skills made her switch to painting halfway through.

Only got that expensive brush the day before the game's ending.

>>2769820
>Using emoticons when there's an image field available
(ꐦ ಠ皿ಠ ) (◎益◎;)

Seriously, though, Sonic 2 XL is really fun,
>>
>>2769064
Congrats

>>2769067
Also spooky congrats

Aren't the SNES and Genesis games different though? Thought one was daimakaimura and the other was chomakaimura.
>>
File: castlevania_bloodlines.jpg (97 KB, 375x531) Image search: [Google]
castlevania_bloodlines.jpg
97 KB, 375x531
castlevania bloodlines. I play through a castlevania every october and I've been saving this one for when I had a real genesis again.

was just doing a trial run on easy with eric and I wasn't expecting it to be that easy. I'll play it for real today.
>>
File: andretti.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
andretti.png
5 KB, 256x224
Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix. Easier than I had hoped it would be, but finally beating it after 20 years felt nice.
>>
>>2769889
>Aren't the SNES and Genesis games different though?
Yes, and that is my point. I recorded a no damage run on the SNES version with two or three attempts. But on the Genesis version, the no damage run is way harder. I finished the game, but wasn't even close to making it a no damage run.
>>
File: RevenantPC.jpg (178 KB, 1024x1006) Image search: [Google]
RevenantPC.jpg
178 KB, 1024x1006
Revenant by Eidos from 1999.
Pushed it aside many times, but finally got around to finish it.

> Game starts pretty grand
> Nice town, NPCs, interesting magic creation system
> Killing around fauna like it's nobody's business for EXP and cash
> Game crashes to desktop
> Eventually got inside the "oh so dangerous" caverns
> At their end fight boss that can OH-KO player if not careful
> Get OH-KO'd a dozen times
> Game crashes to desktop
> After killing that walking bullshit and finding about hero's past, forced to go back to town
> "Now you must go to ruins and finish your job" Well no shit.
> Tired of plot's bullshit (suprisingly alongside main character's growing anger), started rushing endgame ruins
> That became a pretty good idea, since that place was chock-full of stunlock firebreathing, "trashing hero around", respawning dragons and demons.
> about 6-7 fucking, semi-long levels of this shit
> Halfway through game crashes to desktop
> Finally Watched ending cutscene
> Time for credits rolls? Screw you, crash to desktop

Never been more glad to uninstall a program before. Nice game with nice idea, kinda sucks it was probably rushed.
>>
>>2769871
Proper encoding of such character sets became widespread in March of 2001, long after the 31st December 1999 cut-off point for /vr/ and are therefore not suitable for this board.
For a more authentic /vr/ experience, please use only character sets available to ASCII encoding, thank you. n_n
>>
>>2768987
Rondo of Blood, and I loved it all the way.
>>
>>2769796
Nope, true stuff here with PC-Engine Duo-R for Ys and Playstation 2 for Lunar.

Planning to beat Baten Kaitos and Ys III next (even if Baten is not "retro").
>>
>>2768987
Dragon Quest V. Best DQ game I've played so far I think. I played the DS version, if that matters.
>>
File: Loom-Dye.gif (10 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Loom-Dye.gif
10 KB, 320x200
>>2769051
Aaand, I just beat Loom. Very pretty game with really neat ideas and concepts (the thing I value the most in these games), but man, what a dissapointing ending. Still, this was basically a game where everything works with the Ocarina from OoT. Cute game.

Also thanks anon, having in mind that I can play melodies backwards beforehand actually made it very easy for me to beat it, I didn't need a walkthrough at all. This game is much easier and hand-holdy than a KQ. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. I'm leaning towards good tho.

Next I'm replaying Monkey Island. Then KQV for the first time. Not looking particularly forward to that one.
>>
MGS5. It was a severe let down and I'm disappointed the series had to end like this.
>>
File: guardians-intro2.png (10 KB, 304x232) Image search: [Google]
guardians-intro2.png
10 KB, 304x232
Denjin Makai 2

Belva a best
>>
It's a funny story, Although I've played everything actual fished game....maybe hylide?
>>
>>2768987

Soul Blazer

Kinda stalling with Terranigma
>>
File: Bestfishertits.png (16 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bestfishertits.png
16 KB, 1920x1080
Just beat Blue Marlin for the first time ever. Most of the time I would just sit down and play this for a few minutes, never really had the dedication to see it through to end.
>>
The only game I've played/beaten in the last 4 years or so is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I only read /vr/ because it makes me nostalgic and comfy.
>>
maybe mmx2 i dont remember
>>
>>2769825
>replaying Illusion of Gaia
>get to vampires
>PTSD flashbacks
>>
>>2769028

you're a faggot for giving up on such an easy game like DKC. sorry, but git gud.
>>
File: Zx_cyclone_over_skeg_island.png (2 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Zx_cyclone_over_skeg_island.png
2 KB, 256x192
Cyclone on zx spectrum +2. It doesn´t have a proper ending, starts all over again.
>>
>>2769064
I really like a lot of the ideas that game had and would love a remake or spiritual successor that polishes on them a lot more.
>>
File: 1445913805753.png (448 KB, 496x708) Image search: [Google]
1445913805753.png
448 KB, 496x708
>>2770087
All October I was trying to think of appropriate games to play through and didn't even think of Bloodlines once until November 1st. I don't know how I fucked that up so bad.
>>
Rocket Knight Adventures

I like the premise, but I find the execution lacking. Still plan to play the sequel(s).

>>2772901
I'm currently there. What exactly caused your PTSD?
>>
File: pareps0f.jpg (104 KB, 640x621) Image search: [Google]
pareps0f.jpg
104 KB, 640x621
This masterpiece.

Just dropped Medievil because it's a piece of shit.

Playing through Ninja Gaiden, but I'm horrible at games so it's not gonna happen probably.
>>
>>2772958
It was less difficult and more annoying. I finished NES Batman a few weeks ago, and I'm finishing Castlevania 3 as we speak (and will probably go back to do a playthrough for every character as well). DKC I think has the same problem I find with many 4th gen platformers, especially the graphically impressive ones from later in system lifespans. They make these big, expressive characters, but they don't consider how low-res their working area is, and the resulting production suffers because you don't get enough time to react to things (or you're too big to reliably dodge stuff that pops up). I prefer NES games where they still had reasonably sized characters that had more breathing room. Another thing that happens in that game for me is that the characters (can) move very quickly, but unless you've basically memorized the stage sections, you'll very quickly take hits and die. In some games I find that enjoyable, but in DKC I just find it frustrating. The level I quit on was Platform Peril in the last area. I was having trouble enjoying the game up to that point (especially the water levels which I really dislike), but that level sealed the deal for annoying the crap out of me.

>>2772986
I did the same but with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES. That game might just make kusoge status for me, truly a lovably terrible title.
>>
>>2773746

I usually save that gem for December
>>
>>2773840
yeah, thought that to myself, but this was my first time playing it so didn't know.
>>
File: Ghouls n Ghosts_Oct21 11_05_36.png (18 KB, 640x467) Image search: [Google]
Ghouls n Ghosts_Oct21 11_05_36.png
18 KB, 640x467
Ghouls 'n Ghosts on Mega Drive/Genesis

The second time playing through the game with the goddess' weapon was absolute hell. Trying to defeat that maggot boss with it was probably one of my most frustrating gaming experiences yet.
>>
>>2773974
Nice, now try to 1cc anon.
>>
>>2773978
One day, maybe... that's quite a feat though.
>>
>>2769003
>being this much of a sperg
>>
>>2773746

>Playing through Ninja Gaiden, but I'm horrible at games so it's not gonna happen probably.

The PC Engine remake of Ninja Gaiden is a lot easier. People shit on it, but it's still pretty good.
>>
File: Ssfiitlogo.png (20 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
Ssfiitlogo.png
20 KB, 384x224
Easy to 1cc single-player with Chun-Li. I'm shit with any other characters though.
>>
Contra 3 the alien wars

Shit was great
>>
>>2774362
with the claw guy it's even easier
>>
>>2772261
It actually ended with 4, if you can believe that. 5 is what we like to call "milking the cash cow."

Or you know, we would have called it if Konami hadn't essentially immediately packed up shop and turned into a mobile/pachinko publisher.
>>
>>2772901
>>2773001

To those of you having trouble fighting the vampires because you're stuck as Young Will.

Abuse his jump attack, where you attack and then tap a direction, that doubles your damage and gives you invuln frames like crazy, you can slaughter most bosses and enemies with ease
>>
Thread's still up? Wow. I'm >>2769820

Just finished SMB3 on All Stars, Mickey Mouse on NES, Crystal Warriors and Defenders of Oasis on GG and New Adventure Island on TG16, all in the last five days.
I play lots of games. :3

I just started the All Stars version of SMB1. Never played AS versions of the original Mario games. SMB3 feels fine, but there's something... different... about how SMB1 handles. Feels like driving a loaner when your car is in the shop: it's logistically the same, but handles differently, which can fuck your shit a little.
>>
>>2768987
i beat darius twins last night for the first time in like 10 years. i was on a fucking roll. no deaths until planet darius.

i almost blew it, only had one credit left after the final boss
>>
>>2774741
I gave up on trying it with Will and had them killed in mere seconds with Freedan. That was kinda... okay? I just fed the cannibals.
>>
File: 2134.png (8 KB, 1000x854) Image search: [Google]
2134.png
8 KB, 1000x854
Just finished Gokujyou Parodius and Sexy Parodius
>>
>>2768987
FFIV and dragon warrior. Good memories just did a playthroughon both a few months ago, just started breath of fire
>>
Rocket knight adventure at usa normal last week.
Great game!
>>
I finished the first Zelda. Not the second quest though. Gonna play Zelda 2 soon.
>>
File: le bunta osaka face.png (94 KB, 362x294) Image search: [Google]
le bunta osaka face.png
94 KB, 362x294
>>2768987
i haven't finished a game in over 10 years
fighting games dont really count
>>
>>2769004
Terada is a God.
>>
>>2776717
One of the big differences is actually a programming bug. You know how SMB1 is supposed to send you downward with additional force from hitting a brick block? In the all-stars version it's flipped, hitting a brick block makes you go up a little before going down (via gravity). This makes certain maneuvers that are acceptable in the original into difficult/impossible ones in all-stars.

I understand that there is a patch for this on a romhack site somewhere. Not sure where you'd find it though.
>>
>>2779109
>Not sure where you'd find it though.
probably on romhacking.net

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/
>>
>>2768987
metroid II

those omega metroids were annoying as fuck to take out
>>
Shin Megami Tensei II. The neutral route was great, but the actual ending is pretty shallow
>>
Super Metroid, I used no guides and played on original hardware with the original cartridge, and i had no prior experience with the game. It was easy as fuck.
>>
File: latest.jpg (118 KB, 700x640) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
118 KB, 700x640
just the best RPGs ever made...
>>
>>2779220
>It was easy as fuck.
I had exactly the same reaction. It's not a bad game but i was quite unimpressed all the game.
>>
>>2768987
Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Really charming game.
It's a shame it didn't do so well, I can easily imagine a sequel with more action missions, mission variety, expanded servbot functions and the ability to play as Tiesel.
>>
>>2779880
I bet you played 5 RPGs in total.
>>
>>2780790
Nope. try again, u faggot.
>>
>>2768987
NONE, since I allways emulate
>>
Final Fantasy 1, today
Then I started 2 and everything kicked my ass within 2 minutes.
>>
>>2768987
Might and Magic 3.

Right now playing Duke 3d.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.