[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get (into) Kirby
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: best kirby game evar.webm (462 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
best kirby game evar.webm
462 KB, 640x437
They are easy games, as we all know.

Platforming isn't challenging, since you can float.
Enemies don't pose a thread since you're super strong. Bosses prove to be a mild challenge without using a power.
It's pretty, but that really doesn't make it fun.

On the other hand we have Yoshi's Island. I think the game was inspired by the Kirby series, at least they have a lot of similarities.
Cute, colorful, easy, defeat enemies by eating them and use them to attack.

But I fucking love Yoshi's Island. I'd say the difference is, that YI is not effortless. While it's easy, you still have to do something. I think the shooting mechanic alone makes the game more engaging, since it demands a certain precious and awareness from the player. You have to aim at enemies or clouds. Those clouds also make a huge difference. Instead of just going or floating from left to right, you have to do something in Yoshi to progress. You have to shoot the clouds to make a giant sunflower grow or make a bridge appear. It provides much more enviromental interactivity. While it's easy and almost negligible, you even have to manage your ammo. You have to do something. I never felt like that in Kirby. Kirby is like a walking simulator to me.

Additionally, the baby is much more punishing for the player, as we all know Mario has a tortures cry. It's quite the genius mechanic. It's not insta death, it even replenishes itself, but it still makes taking hits very annoying.
You have to put some sort of effort into YI to beat it, that's why some people are actually misguided to think it's a hard game. I'd say that's also the reason why people like Epic Yarn so much. It gives you many ways to interact with the enviroment and you end up putting a bit of effort into it.

So, why do you like Kirby?
>>
>>3101883
It's a lot of fun, Kirby always has great controls, and messing around with copy abilities/adorable hats has a lot of appeal.

I think you make a lot of good points OP, but Kirby games are (with rare exception) something for very small children and VERY casual players. When I was a kid I thought Nightmare in Dreamland was the most epic handheld adventure evaaar. Stuff like invisible doors and sneakily hiding copy abilities that you would need to open doors somewhere way else in the level I thought was so cool.

Now as an adult it seems really basic, because it is, but I find them enjoyable for what they are. Fun, cutesy, fluffy, not challenging at all.
>>
>>3101883
Kirby is a bit like going on a vacation. Challenging the player isn't it's goal, it's goal is giving a neat set of powers and a cute lackadaisical world to play with them in. It's like the platforming equivalent of a cute 'em up. But even more relaxing.

I get why they're not games for everyone, much like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon. It's a wonderful virtual vacation for some, for others it's so boring it's the video game equivalent of torture. It's just one of those love or hate things maybe.
>>
File: KA.jpg (141 KB, 640x912) Image search: [Google]
KA.jpg
141 KB, 640x912
>>3101883
Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star speedruns are crazy technical with a lot of variety in movement skill and really hard tricks.

you're right though the games are easy to beat casually. kirby games are really just more about being fun games to play than they are about the challenge. movement is fun, powers are fun, it's fun to experiment with things and create own challenges, the music is amazing and they just have a warm, comfy aesthetic all around.
>>
>>3101951
Adventure on nes is the one with the ufo glitch right? Those ufo runs are kinda boring imo, but super star runs are intense to watch for sure.
>>
>>3101981
>Those ufo runs are kinda boring imo
Yeah they are, the runners don't even like it, that's why they do 'no major glitches' categories.
>>
Maybe you need to play the co-op ones with a pal, OP. They're pretty fun that way. A lot of my scrub friends don't ever want to co-op old games with me because they're "too hard", but everyone likes Kirby.
>>
>>3101883
Simple
Variety in playstyle thanks to powers.
Doesn't hurt that the series itself has continued to change and do new things along with upping the challenge to the games whether it's in the game, arena, extra mode or something else entirely.
>>
>>3101883
>It's pretty, but that really doesn't make it fun.
These other things don't make it that bad either, though. Right off the bat, floating isn't an instant-win technique since there's still enemies and obstacles to worry about (in most places that is--vertical or confined stages come to mind) and the enemies might not be super adaptive to player actions and abilities but they do work out.

I dunno, to me I see it as absent of a lot of flaws. Yes it's pretty, but also there is variety and some scale of difficulty as the games go on, it feels like they don't often drop the ball. I don't think it needs to be "The best, top of the line in every way" to be good. They might not be the most challenging out there, but they don't play themselves, and they do take SOME effort to complete at least. N64 era and below Kirby at least.

Yoshi's Island is actually my favorite game of all time and I do think it has a better grasp on difficulty and challenge...I don't feel like I ever really had to compare the two though to consider them both to be great. I don't consider them equal but I still think they in a higher bracket of quality games.
>>
The older Kirby games have incredible music, better than any Mario or Yoshi game, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha6_y4XR0M
>>
I love Kirby and hate Yoshi's Island.

Different strokes for different folks, OP.
>>
File: strokes.jpg (181 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
strokes.jpg
181 KB, 720x480
>>3102229
Some people will never understand that concept.
>>
If normal platformers are a little like watching a quality kids show like Spiderman (90s), X-men, Gargoyles, then Kirby just feels like Teletubbies to me.
>>
>>3102261
That's one of the stupidest statements I've ever read.
>>
>>3102261
To me it feels more like Adventure Time or Spongebob.
>>
>>3101948

Except cute em ups are fucking hard. See any Fantasy Zone.
>>
File: giphy.gif (417 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
417 KB, 500x375
>>3102261
but there is a Kirby kids tv show and it's awesome.
>>
kirby games are for kids

if you're older than 10 and still playing them, you've fucked up in life
>>
>>3102310
I don't think most kids could take down true arena
>>
>>3102310
i'm impressed by your wisdom and maturity.
>>
>>3102261
I watched those shows when they were on air was playing Kirby at the time too retard.
>>
>>3102451
What the fuck are you talking about, what's your point?
>>
>>3101883
The entire point of kirby is to be essentially "baby's first platformer" the whole power stealing gimmick was added after the fact and then ppl started thinking that was the point of the game.
>>
>>3102275
Kirby does not equal cute em up though, it falls more under yume penguin monogatari territory in that the graphics are cute and such, plus the game mechanics are interesting without being fantasy zone levels hard, to put it in perspective.
>>
>>3102157
Thats very true, also while kirby hasnt really had a "best game, top of the charts" sort of thing, it also hasnt had any really bad titles unlike sonic or zelda. Which isnt to say kirby is mediocre, its kind of in a middle area.
>>
>>3102310
There's a pinball game too bruh
>>
>>3102075
Almost every game is fun in coop. That's not something special.

>>3102961
Which is honestly my favorite Kirby. Great follow up to Revenge of the Gators.
>>
It's cute, colorful, has great music, and gives you a lot of unique flashy abilities to experiment with.

It is to videogames what moeblob is to anime. Just turn your mind off and enjoy the ride.
>>
Kirby Super Star makes for exciting as fuck speedrunning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLCokotqmrc
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.