[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RGB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: King_Wart.png (192 KB, 835x905) Image search: [Google]
King_Wart.png
192 KB, 835x905
Why does RGB look so good on modern HD tvs?

Why is a Super Nintendo from the early 90s capable of looking so fucking good with a cheap scaler that outputs the 240p to 1080p?

I don't understand why the video quality is so fucking good for something 30 years old.
>>
Because the 240p RGB output is lossless. Do you have a 1chip?
>>
RGB is indeed lossless and awesome.

The cheap scalers are very good at either 480i signals (with motion), Or STATIC 240p.
The problem with the cheap scalers is they treat everything they receive as 480i and needlessly try to de-interlace 240p content.

They universally suck for Video games of any type because of added lag.

The easy way to get your head around why they exist, but why they simultaneously suck for video games is this: remember that were designed for DVD players, cable boxes, satellite receives, and VCRs. All of these are normal 480i/576i and video-based content where a few frames of lag is easily ignored.

Only the Micomsoft XRGB range of scalers were designed with video games in mind.
>>
The other reason why you are so surprised that RGB is so awesome is because you are probably not a European.
Outside of Europe: RGB was very rare, YPbPr was non-existent in those days, and S-Video was only high-end TVs in non-RGB nations. Also, S-Video cables were never included in the box, so were therefore rare because most people would go out and buy them.

Hell, most cheap TVs in 1991 had RF only in many parts of the world.
>>
>>3090503
>RGB
>common
Stop
>>
>>3090538
he never said it was common
>>
>>3090575
He's saying it was common in Europe which is false.
>>
>>3090394
>Why is a Super Nintendo from the early 90s capable of looking so fucking good with a cheap scaler that outputs the 240p to 1080p?

Tech fucking nology. Why is this even a question? Is there some meme that old must in any way equal bad? Do you know VGA is a much more advanced way of dealing with analog RGB than component and that it's been there since the late 80s? And that all sort of SCART RGB connections the various computers had basically predate the Famicom. Also that HDMI is also RGB but entirely digital so it's even more lossless?

tl;dr use your head
>>
>>3090579
Saying something is rare outside of Europe is not the same as saying it's common inside of Europe.
>>
>>3091410
>Why is this even a question?
because the questionmark at the end of it marks it as one
>>
hell the video part of HDMI (DVI) is technically /vr/

released in 1999
>>
>>3090579
Scart was extremely common in europe. Even the cheapest 14" tvs had scart compatibility by the late 1990s.
>>
>>3090579
Wrong. Can confirm this clown should be ignored.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.