[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General Repair Thread/ Help me with my slot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 214107518_29f24e6524_z.jpg (72 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
214107518_29f24e6524_z.jpg
72 KB, 500x321
Couldn't find a General Repair thread so here one is. Sorry I have no idea what usually goes in the OP.

My Super Famicom Jr cartridge slot is loose as a goose and sometimes, especially in FX games (yoshi's island) the game freezes or has a black screen on boot. I've cleaned the pins but I don't think that's the main problem. The cartridge takes no force to go into place. I only found this video online of a dude retensioning a megadrive's slot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuKsbvr3PM
Is the same thing possible/a good idea with the snes? Will this weaken the pins? Thanks for any help.
>>
>>3026546
>The cartridge takes no force to go into place.
Yeah that's probably no good. The cartridge slot is supposed to have some resistance so the pins don't lose contact. On mine you can move the cartridge all around while the game is on and the game wont even notice. Removing and inserting the cartridge is supposed to scrub the pins also which keeps the contacts clear of any dirt.

Get a needle or some other kind of fine pointed object and carefully bend the pins back outward again. The pins are pretty strong but don't bend them too hard obviously. A little bit goes a long way you probably don't want the cartridge slot to have a death grip on your games.
>>
>>3026628
k will do, thanks anon
>>
>>3026628
so i tried to do this and it was pretty bad. the pin I tried just made a snapping sound and is not lower than all the other pins. They're all surrounded by plastic so it's hard to get behind them. I might have just fucked it up :\
>>
I have an RGB stereo modded NES and a copy of CV III famicom version. What is the most affordable route?
>get someone to mod my Gyromite 60-72 pin converter
Or
>have someone mod my NES to get expansion audio for all the famicom games?
>>
>>3026753
Assuming you're using a toaster. http://enio.chykn.com/wiki/index.php/ENIO_EXP_Board
>>
>>3026771
Yeah thats another idea but i think you need to mod the 60-72 pin converter in order for it to work right?
>>
>>3026546

Obviously limp pins, the neutral point of the feather they build has shifted away from the cart slot. Bend them back, they are quite durable and won't break just from bending them a bit.
>>
Got a thrift store Dreamcast doing some weird shit. Audio is sped up at best and horribly distorted to the point of static at worst. Sometimes it shifts up and down like some really shitty vaporwave. Now I personally think it's a case of demonic possession but I figured I'd ask the experts here first.
>>
>>3027684

Nope, demon, definitely.
Try sacrificing a goat in front of the console and have the holy water reaady.
If it doesn't work- well think about it this way: You may be the subject of the next creepypasta told through the net, isn't that something?
>>
>have Pokemon Pinball GB cart
>clean pin until looks new
>nintendo logo slightly corrupted at boot, freezes
I didn't realize how much I missed this game until I went to go play it and found it no longer functioning. Any ideas?
>>
>>3027856
Do you have a soldering iron and a steady hand?
You have to reflow the solder on the rom chip and it should fix it.
You'll want to make sure you don't bridge any solder joints, so you could definitely use some solder wick if you don't already have it.
>>
I managed to get my hands on a 1Chip SNES but the cartage connector is fucked. Very rusty and just generally bad looking. It works though, and I want to save the board.

I plan on picking up a Hakko 808/ FR 300 and desolder the entire cartage connector.

Question is, is there a place where I can buy a new SNES connector?
>>
>>3028152
>>3027856
I recommend some liquid solder flux as well. Will burn off any crud on the rom chips.
>>
>>3026753
You'd have to do BOTH if you wanted to get expansion audio on a NES.

Mod your converter AND put in the resistor for the audio
>>
File: IMG_1250.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1250.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I wanted to play pokemon emerald version, because of the anniversary, but now my GBA SP have this rare spot in middle of the screen, what can I do?
>>
>>3028695
Looks like moisture. Could always try the rice trick.
>>
last night i pulled out my snes wanting to play zelda but i couldn't get the cart to work, i tried every cart i own but nothing worked. Would usually just get a scrambled title screen with messed up audio. I cleaned all my games and tried again but still nothing.
>>
>>3028752
Post your SNES. preferably the bottom with SN
>>
>>3028760
im at work right now but i can when i get home, thinking i might open it up and give the pin connections a good cleaning, it was working fine a couple months ago and was stored in a rubbermaid bin until now
>>
>>3028763
Well, if it has a sticker for the FCC warning, its a model one and will have a slot that can slip off the board easily and be cleaned.

Anything other then that and it's a crap shot if the cartage connector is soldered in.
>>
Me earthbound cart won't hold it's save files for more then a day. How to fix?
>>
>>3031470
Smash with caveman club.
>>
>>3031470
That involves replacing the battery in the cartridge. Dunno anything about that but that's what you do to fix it, so you can at least look for the method.
>>
There's a Kekstarter to produce N64 analog sticks that are supposed to be true to the originals. Thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1483354489/enkko-repairing-the-n64-controller
>>
>>3031470
just google replacing snes game batteries
>>
>>3031534
That's great, but I already have some of the black gears, what really wears out is the white bowl part or the end of the stick.
If someone would just sell those parts we could fix our old sticks.
>>
>>3031534
Whoops, I guess I should have read that before I posted.
So how much will they cost?
>>
>>3031534
Its the gears and arms that wear out more then the stick or bowl

Has this person not opened a worn out N64 controller before?
>>
>>3031534
Would rather have a new better design.
>>
File: gc2n64_v2_p16.jpg (71 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gc2n64_v2_p16.jpg
71 KB, 800x600
>>3031534
I already have pic related which works pretty well, but Im curious if that really works.
>>
>>3031616
The gears were available on kitsch-bent for 75 cents a pair, but now show coming soon.
I know because I ordered 10 pairs, they help, but the white bowl gets ground down by the end of the stick.
>>
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears
>>
>>3033159
Get a tube of lithium grease. I put it on two absolutely mint controllers that I managed to wrangle up.

Not only does it make the brand new controller even smoother, it'll keep them safe from wear over the years.

You're just wasting effort if you keep repairing the controller. Grease that bitch up and it'll save you a lot of time.
>>
>>3026753
Sell your NES to a hipster
Get a famicom and RGB mod it
Profit

>>3031534
I already have 3 boxes full of Japanese controllers in perfect condition. Many still in the box. Totally not interested.
>>
>>3033172
I know about that, I want to repair ones too far gone without replacing the whole joystick.
>>
>>3033159
I've tried those, they're not that great. They grind when they interact with the wheels and aren't perfect replacements.

>>3033172
This, all I've found to work is just trying to preserve the good sticks that are still around.
>>
Are there any commercially available riser boards for the SNES or N64? I don't really want to cut the tabs off the slots inside.
>>
>>3033834
Yes, or use a game genie and cut the tabs off of it instead.
>>
I have a snes that plays the games but shows some lines. It shows them on layers, so sometimes you don't see them, but then, when there is movement or a change of screen, they become visible again. A friend told me it could be the capacitors have become faulty and that I should replace them, and to be sure, replace all of them so the console could live on for some more years.
>>
>>3035669
Are you using a third party ac adaptor?
>>
>>3035643
Yeah, I know about that trick.

I was just wondering if there where any or if I'd have to try and make my own.
>>
>>3027684
If I had to guess, the motor for the disk drive is inconsistent. Lots of games assume a constant speed and stream audio and stuff directly from the disk. I would try replacing the disk drive.
>>
>>3035669
Do you mean vertical lines in the middle of the screen? That's a design failure in the snes, which you can fix by adding some caps in key locations. I think the CRT general has a tutorial in the links. Otherwise post a drawing of what you mean.

As for bad caps, usually when caps fail, its the electrolytic cylindrical ones, and their tops either bulge or leak.
>>
>>3035669
>3035669
>>3035793
Most SNES units have surface mounted caps. They can go bad without any signs of wear.
>>
>>3035798
Ah. I haven't opened mine up yet, because I still haven't gotten around to the vertical line fix. Is that true even for the PSU caps? Good to know though.

Also does anyone have recommendations for famicom to nes adapters? I've heard bad things about some having a death grip on cartridges.
>>
>>3035806
PSU? Do you mean the AC brick? That does have some capacitors in it but they're though hole.

If you want, you can test the AC adapter to make sure its outputting around 13ish VDC.

And I can't comment on an adapter.
>>
>>3035669
Also what kind of cables are you using? If you're using RF, then that's the problem. And what's your SNES model?

>>3035819
Wrong word. I meant for the video/audio output. I went ahead and opened mine up. There is exactly one through-hole catalytic cap for the output. It's pretty small though. There sure are a lot less and a lot smaller caps in the SNES than the NES though....
>>
>>3035845
Yep. They're all surface mounted pretty much.
>>
>>3033172
What's the best way to apply it? Am I supposed to open the stick up and apply it directly? Or should I just grab a can, put on the straw, dig it right in there and spray a tiny, tiny bit?
>>
>>3035908
I really don't think you can spray on the lubricant he's talking about. I use a tooth pick to gob it onto the arms and inside the bowl
>>
>>3035673
Original snes adaptor
>>
File: vertlines.jpg (38 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
vertlines.jpg
38 KB, 480x640
>>3035793
Here is a pic of what it looks like

>>3035845
I'm using the gamecube A/V cable, but it also happens with rf. The model is SNS-001.
>>
>>3037797
That almost strikes me as a dirty connector.

Can you post a picture of the SNESs FCC warning sticker and serial number?
>>
File: label.jpg (46 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
label.jpg
46 KB, 576x768
>>3037925

You mean the video connector or the cartridge connector?
>>
>>3038046
the cartage slot.

You have a SVCH model SNES.

It has a removable cartage slot. Pull it up and clean under it and try again.
>>
File: lines2.jpg (305 KB, 1306x979) Image search: [Google]
lines2.jpg
305 KB, 1306x979
>>3038062
I opened it and removed the conector. Cleaned the dirt that was beneath it and tried again. It still has the problem.

It only shows the lines on some layers. If you look at the picture, you will notice that the mountains are not affected, nor is mario or the turtles or the bricks.

Also in the game selection screen it doesn't show the lines.
>>
>>3038092
I'd get some contact cleaner and examine all the pins underneath though magnification to make sure all the solder joints aren't messed up.

That or one of the PPU's is going bad.
>>
>>3038095
Too bad, it looks like it could be the second.
>>
>>3038129
Could always try spraying down the chip with contact cleaner and then some 91% rubbing alcohol. Then try re-soldering the chips.
>>
>>3038131
Gonna try it tomorrow, It would be cool to save this console.
>>
>>3038138
Good luck

Hope that's its just a cold solder joint or some crud.
>>
Thinking of adding an LED to my Super Game boy to give it more of a game boy feel.

Question is, does it matter where I get my 5v from? there's a cap on the 5v rail and I am wondering if it would be better to tap into it before or after the cap.

Thank you.
>>
Is there an ideal type of glue to use for peeling game labels?
>>
>>3038641
Most people use the solid scrapbook tube glue. The stuff you probably used in kindergarten. Don't use stuff that is too strong like "gorilla glue" otherwise it will fully permeate the label and potentially make it brittle.
>>
>>3028152
not him, but I have a Pokemon Red cart that boots fine, gets to the intro fine, and when Professor Oak comes on screen, the entire game freezes. Do you think a reflow would help? or is the ROM chip too fucked?
>>
>>3039134
It should work, there will be 2 larger chips inside, you can go over both with just a tiny amount of good, lead based solder.
If that doesn't fix it you might have a broken trace or corrosion damage tp deal with.
>>
I don't know if this thread is only about Nintendo stuff, but I recently purchased a couple Sega Genesises for less than the cost of a haircut because they're in "not working" condition. What are the odds that at least one can be repaired to working? What are some fatal problems I should keep my eye out for when inspecting them? The seller didn't elaborate on their condition and I should be receiving them tomorrow or Saturday
>>
>>3040025
>I don't know if this thread is only about Nintendo stuff
It's not, that would be silly.

>"not working" condition
That's all he said? It could be literally anything.
Check for cracks in the board or broken solder points. Might be the power cord, who knows.
>>
>>3039813
Broken traces aren't the end of the world though. You can just check for them with a multimeter and do a bypass like a heart surgeon.
>>
>>3040038
Yeah, normally I wouldn't bother but at the price point I honestly don't mind if they're duds. I see it as a chance to learn more about the hardware and get some experience. I've always wanted to get a Genesis, and these are both "High Definition Graphics" Model 1s so I could potentially get a decent system if it works.

Mainly I'm just curious if there are some fatal problems that would render a system unfixable. When I actually get the stuff in my hands and get it apart I'll try to remember to bring pictures
>>
>>3040025
It will probably be something like this:

60% bad caps
30% cartridge slot needs cleaning and realignment
9% corrosion(water, soda, urine, etc)
1% chip failure(sometimes multiple chips)

If chips fail you'll probably have a hard time diagnosing the exact cause.
>>
>>3040045
That's correct, but I don’t think that will be the case on this one.
Broken traces are more common on snes and N64 games, often by the gold plated connector on the bottom of the board.
I'm pretty sure it's caused by the plastic shell rubbing through the traces over the years, or dirt getting trapped there causing it. Either way a fairly easy fix if you know what to look for.
>>
>>3040081
You forget a big one, loose or cracked solder joints around the power jack.
>>
>>3040089
Yeah that's a good one too.

On the SNES a broken power jack is probably the most common issue.
>>
File: 1455590529844.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1455590529844.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1365
So I'm completely new to this kind of stuff. Is it a good idea to, let's say buy a console with a messed up motherboard, and just replace it with a new one?
How profitable is this and what am I getting myself into?
What are the best repair kits for fixing electronics?
>>
>>3040738
>So I'm completely new to this kind of stuff.
>How profitable is this
Find another way to make money.
>>
>>3040887
I didn't mean it like that. I want this to be a hobby. I also want to start a collection. Repairing old stuff seems like a fun and cheap way to do it.
>>
>>3040931
Its fun but god damn it it's not cheap if you want the right tools.
>>
Question for anyone familiar with PC Engine hardware

My US duo needs a cap replacement, the sound is completely gone on both hucard and CD games until the console has been running for maybe half an hour or so. Then when it does kick in, it's veeeery quiet. Like I have to crank my volume upwards of the 80% range to get sound that would normally be maybe 15 or 20.

My question is, is having the bad caps on the board going to potentially cause permanent damage (due to possible leakage, don't know if the caps are leaky or not) the longer I wait? I'm not very good with a soldering iron and nobody around me does repairs on these things. I definitely don't want to risk shipping it somewhere.
>>
>>3042445
If you're no go with repairing and using an iron the only option would be to ship it to some one that can repair it.

and yes, the longer you wait, the more damage is happening to the board.
>>
>>3042475
Is the damage only happening if the caps are leaky? Or is there some other factor?

My stepdad is pretty good with an iron but he's quite busy, so I'm really just waiting until he had an opening in his schedule for us to sit down and spend an afternoon knee deep in a turboduo.
>>
>>3042504
Really, its only of they're leaking. But if it's a turbo duo and having sound problems like you described, you have leaking caps. BAD leaking caps.

They're all surfaced mounted too if I remember right. That makes it a bit worse. They can corrode the pads and lift them pretty easily.
>>
>>3042506
that's probably what's wrong with my lynx model 2. The damn thing won't even turn on anymore.
>>
>>3028752
Keep cleaning with rubbing alcohol and cutton swabs until they come out clean. And if that doesn't work. Try getting a shirt or fabric like it and a credit card and use it to clean the cartridge slot with alcohol to
>>
I bought a new SNES along with a pair of new AV cables and I'm getting horizontal flickering lines that move in the vertical. Is it the console or the cables?
>>
Not so much repair as an issue.

Just built a PC, runs fine and everything. However, I'm trying to play Tzar Burden of the Crown and it just will not load up. I got it to install, have tried running as admin, messing with compatibility settings, etc. cannot get it to run.
Can anyone give me some insight here?
>>
File: 20160305_191109966_iOS.jpg (740 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160305_191109966_iOS.jpg
740 KB, 3264x2448
If a Sega Genesis controller port has the pins bent down 90 degrees flat is it possible to salvage the port if you bend them back manually?
>>
>>3043776
What do you have to lose?
>>
>>3044270
I mean, I'm going to give it a try, cleaning out the rest of the system right now because it's absolutely filthy (got it untested/not working for $6). I was just casually asking while I'm working on this thing
>>
>>3043776
A DB9 is very close to the genisis controller port, also atari 2600 and a few other older gen consoles and computers.
>>
>>3043442
Could be av cable or even power adaper if they are third party.
>>
>>3039813
>>3040045
>>3040087
goddamn it, it never occurred to me to check for broken traces or bad ROM solder. Thanks.
>>
>>3045279
Yeah, the old solder on those surface mount chips gets old or stressed from drops or something.
I've personally fixed close to 150 gameboy games for a guy that sends them to me for repair.
Pokemon games almost always need a new save battery, and some have old soda pop or other liquid damage inside them, but I'd say 80% are repairable if you are good at soldering and have a good soldering station.
>>
Anyone have a good replacement for the power switch in a Sega Genesis model 1?

Looking to replace mine because its squishy as fuck.
>>
My Saturn has stopped working... All I get is a jumbled screen with a weird buzzing sound. The disc does not spin either... Laser? It worked fine the other day.
>>
>>3045735

If it doesn't spin at all how is it supposed to be the laser's fault? It would at least give it a starting spin.
>>
File: 1457309045136-1971409469.jpg (977 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1457309045136-1971409469.jpg
977 KB, 2048x1152
Anybody got any idea what the problem with this arcade monitor is?
I hope to god it's not caps.
Bought it today and the NeoGeo works fine just the monitor has issues.
Bottom of the screen looks fine while the top part looks distorted. Already messed a little bit with VHold but no dice yet.
>>
>>3046816
Why would you not want it to be the capacitors, I'd think those would be easy to replace?
>>
>>3046951
I'm just really scared of any CRT repair. Never done it before and I'm not sure I want to do it on my own.
>>
>>3047094
>>3046951
I'm not entirely knowledgeable about CRT repair, but have some advice about what I really do know. Is there a source of magnetic fields in or near your room, like another high power device? That is probably causing it.

If you do repair it, this is REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT. YOU HAVE TO DISCHARGE THE CAPACITORS. DON'T BECOME A FRIED ANON. In the past, when opening them, I've used a screwdriver to short the big caps but this article recommends using a high wattage resistor: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm#crtsaf

Anyways, if it is capacitors, and if the bad capacitors are through-hole electrolytic type (cylinders), then they will have a bulging top or be leaking.

Having the right capacitance and resistance is pretty important, otherwise your picture will be distorted. Make sure to measure the values of replacements with a multimeter. Make sure that the capacitors are of the same type. For example, some don't handle rapid discharge too well, and all capacitors have a max voltage before dielectric breakdown.

Good luck!
>>
>>3042504
The caps can be bulging too, which are also bad. Replace those too. You might just want to replace all the caps, because I believe PC Engine has really low quality caps.
>>
>>3047181
The picture was like that when I bought it.

I brought it home thinking it would be a simple fix but I can get my hands dirty if I need to.
>>
>>3047205
Hmm. Is there any way to replace the TV? I am pretty certain arcade TVs are replaceable. It might also be a safer bet to take that bad boy to a CRT repair specialist.
>>
>>3047205
You'll have to discharge the crt before you can safely work on it, trust me that it's not fun to get shocked by it.
A tv repair shop might be your best bet if there are any around your area.
>>
>>3047224
Yeah probably. Depending on the game with a little ingunity you might be able to use a regular consumer monitor, but the arcade ones are a lot nicer if they're not super beat up.

Just make sure to do what >>3047312 said, those things hold enough power to kill you.
>>
Got a question:
6th gen consoles are said to be either 480i or 480p

Now the Xbox was released in Europe with only 480i but the component cable works on it any gives (according to the tv) 480i. So what I am wondering is: Is 480i through component the most pure interlaced signal you can get?

>inb4 6th gen
>>
So I am having a bit of an issue with my fat PS2: Exactly one game that I own isn't working on it, the PSX game Rayman. Now I would think that it is a problem with the game, but the game works on the slim PS2 of the store I bought it from.

To go into more detail, rather than the game loading, the game's music is loaded in an mp3 player program on the ps2, whereas on the slim one in the store, it loads just fine. All my other ps1 and ps2 games (i.e. sotn, ffvii, xiii) work fine.

I suspect this is because my ps2's laser is somehow dying and the Rayman disc is somehow especially difficult to read, but I'm not entirely certain since the music is loaded rather than "disc read error." I can't find information about what I should do in this particular situation: e.g. whether I need to adjust the laser voltage or replace the laser, because all the online information I can find is about "disk read error."

As a general question, where do y'all find your information about this stuff? Most of the information about repairs is little posts on forums or fucking gamefaqs text documents. Do y'all have a site or set of sites you like? The only one I really know of is retrorgb, but that has somewhat limited scope.

>>3048696
Yeah. Hopefully your TV isn't doing any scaling though.
>>
>>3049068
>mp3 player program
I meant cd player program. The meaning is obvious in context though.
>>
>>3049068
In my experience, when fat PS2's die the first thing that goes is PS1 compatibility. You could either switch out the laser or just get a new fat.
>>
>>3049068
You shouldn't be using your laser when you could just use HD loader to load PS2 games.
>>
>>3049068
Okay, than on more: Is 480i through SCART the same? (on consoles that can't send/use 240p).
>>
>>3050103
It is maybe the same. Scart isn't always digital rgb, but it probably is for the xbox. If you have component just stick with that.
>>
Does anyone run a skeleton system? I have an SNES with a busted top shell but the bottom is in pretty good shape, I'm probably going to replace my other SNES that has a good top, but yellow bottom shell with it.

So I'd be left with just the board. I'm considering making like, I dunno, some kind of metal case for it. Has anyone done it? I'm also considering just using it as is, as my personal SNES and putting the other 2 in storage since the price keeps rising.
>>
>>3026546
do we have a pastebin with guides and tutorials in store ? this thread is great and should come up more often and i'm okay to paste the template from to time if necessary but do we have one ?
>>
File: Sega-Genesis-Mod1-Bare.jpg (2 MB, 4020x2300) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Genesis-Mod1-Bare.jpg
2 MB, 4020x2300
I have a Genesis model 1 that works, but has a broken cart slot, and a not-working Genesis model 2 that doesn't turn on, but probably the cart slot is sane.

Is there a possibility to take out the cart slot of the model 2 and put it on the model 1?
>>
>>3050547
I don't think so. I think a pastepin is a really good idea. I'll probably start assembling one tomorrow. Reply to me with some useful information, and I'll compile it tomorrow.

>>3050672
Probably, but it might be easier to repair the one that doesn't turn on. See >>3040081 >>3040089
>>
>>3050910

The thing is that the slot is completely destroyed, like it's missing some pins and stuff.

Anyone has any tips or guide about how to replace the slot, if it's actually possible to transfer a model 2 slot to a model 1 console?
>>
>>3050918
Yeah that's why I'm saying you should try to repair the model 2: path of least resistance and all. It's probably something simple like a cap for av or a broken power socket.

It probably is possible to switch out the slot. The cartridges are the same size, so the slots are designed to accept each. The model 2 slot might not fit on, but if it doesn't, you could solder a wire from the appropriate pin on the slot to the one on the motherboard, for every pin.
>>
Can I run the Enigmah Video Mode Select CD
on an unmodded Xbox?
>>
My PS2 is not displaying the picture. I've tried different cables and TV's so that's not the problem. I can hear the game music starting up normally so the game is loading properly, but the picture just isn't making it to the TV. is this something fixable or is it kill??

here's a video someone with the same problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsu71T5rojk
>>
>>3050405
Just leaving it open with nothing around it doesn't seem like a good idea, not for long term use at least.
A metal case world be cool looking, but would seem difficult to pull off.
You'll need to make sure it doesn't short out anything obviously, and have cart and controller ports cutout.
>>
>>3050918
If the slot is completely destroyed, how do you know the system works?
>>
File: CIMG2416.jpg (473 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
CIMG2416.jpg
473 KB, 1600x1200
Tried RGB modding my PC Engine and wound up with this. Any ideas?
>>
>>3052897
Red and green signal are both outputting on green?
>>
>>3052916
(Or red and green signals are bridged, rather)
>>
>>3043506
Anyone have any idea?
>>
>>3052931
I doubt I can help, but I will say that for PC you're going to need to give a bit more info about your setup and the exact problem. By not running, do you mean that nothing happens at all, or does the screen go black then boot you back to your OS? What OS are you using? Processor?

If you're trying to run it on a modern PC directly from Windows that could very well be an issue.
>>
>>3052591

Well I mean it turns on because I can see the led light.
The model 2 doesn't turn on.
>>
>>3052942
I have to access it from the D drive in my file explorer shit, to even get the menu to pop up. I got it to install, and when I hit run I can hear it whir like it's gonna start playing but then it just stops. All compatibility settings result in the same. No screen changes happen. It's weird since you'd think that since I could install it from disk, that I'd be able to load it up to play. Rig is a I3 3.7ghz skylake on Windows 10.
>>
Have a fat PS2 that shows no sign of power. No red power indicator or anything else. Wat do?
>>
>>3053403
>Windows 95 game
>Windows 10
Lol. There's your problem. Just run the game in a VM of Windows 95.

>>3050405
It's probably not a good idea to leave the circuit board exposed. People have been putting systems in custom cases forever, e.g. the nintoaster. Maybe you could try to make a super nintoaster?
>>
Guys I have a model 2 mega drive that doesn't work properly but is so close to working right. The thing powers on, the red light shows, the tmss or whatever message comes up and then no game. I've tried basically bathing the cartridge slot in ISO but to no avail, no leaking or busted caps, no cracked solder, I even reflowed most of it just in case. Funny thing is the mega CD works through it fine.
>>
>>3050405
Not a console but an old PC. I have an old mobo that has AGP, PCI and ISA so can handle pretty much any card I want to use. So I keep it on the workbench with no case so I can swap cards and drives. Why fuck around with multi boot shit when you can swap drives faster. When it gets dirty I hose it off in the shower.
>>
>>3053685
>Just run the game in a VM of Windows 95.
Not him but I'm also interested.
What VM software do you use? Windows 95 in virtualbox is practically unusable.
>>
>>3053565
I believe it has a fuse, you'll have to take it apart as the power supply is under the mainboard .
>>
Anyone have a Hakko FR 300? Is there a spring on the lock for the solder chamber? I had to open mine to remove solder rattling around inside and now it won't hold the lock open.
>>
>>3053935
That's strange. Maybe you're running on extremely anemic hardware. I was able to run XP on virtualbox just fine over 5 years ago on a ~2ghz core 2 with 2gb ram.
>>
>>3054546
Oh, I can run XP just fine. For college I had to run multiple windows server VMs at once. Virtualbox just has shit support for 95 last time I tried.
>>
I don't want to start a brand new thread for this and I figure this thread is the best place to ask.

I want to play Super Famicom games on my NTSC-U SNES without pulling out the tabs from the cartridge slot and being left with an ugly gut job even after sanding. What's the cheapest but still good SuFami to SNES adapter I can get? Trying to search for this just leads me to AC adapters, which I don't want or need.
>>
>>3054598
get a game genie, cut the tabs off that.
idk why they're even on it in the first place
>>
>>3054598
Get a Honey Bee if your so uptight about it.
Little hard to find though.
>>
>>3053935
Yeah. VMs for gaming is shit. Kids just like to suggest it because they heard about it but never tried it. You can just ignore them.
>>
>>3054652
It's a 20 year old operating system. 20 years is an eternity in technology. I have also used a VM for XP for playing video games, and it worked fine.

Care to explain what's wrong with VMs for playing games designed for ancient operating systems that ran on an exponential fraction of the power of modern systems?

>>3053403
Anyways if you can't get 95 working, since apparently Virtual Box struggles, try XP or 2000, they might be close enough to be compatible.
>>
>>3054603
I might just do that, I don't think I'd have a problem modifying a Game Genie for that, but I do have a problem with modifying a console.

>>3054606
I appreciate the suggestion, but that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend for this.
>>
I honestly recommend hanging onto an old x586 or x686 based computer and just install Windows 98 SE on it.

Then you can literally play every early Windows or DOS game on it and you don't have to worry about a lack of drivers or a VM.
>>
>>3054672
Thanks for proving my point. Kidlogic may dictate that the older a system is the better it will run under a VM on a modern machine. This just isn't the case and W95 runs like ass under a VM. Video is complete shit. Barely supports enough modes for decent desktop work let alone hardware accelerated shit for games. Also keked hard at your muh ghz mentality.
>>
Can you fry a Genesis/Megadrive model 2 if you use a model 1 adapter? they have their polarity switched and I just did that unknowingly. I don't know if the console worked before as I got it recently, seller described it as working.
>>
Does anyone know a very cheap usb stick that works with the original Xbox? (preferably eBay)
>>
>>3054758
Why are you so goddamn bitter and hostile?
>>
>>3055632
Sorry I hurt your feelings with facts kid. If you want a circle jerk you can fuck off back to tumblr. Either way, just leave the whole helpful advice thing to people who know what they're talking about and you'll be be fine.
>>
>>3055691
I hope acting tough on the internet gives you a hard on, because no one else appreciates it.
>>
>>3055691
I think you're on the wrong site pal. Try going to pointy hat chan. Their attitude is much more compatible with yours.

Anyway I recommended a VM becuase I have used them in the past, just not 95 vms, you blowhard.
>>
>>3053403
pirate the gog version
>>
>>3055709
So you gave bad advice because you had no experience. And you're butthurt because someone called you on it? Wahhhhh!
This is the repair general thread faggot. The circle jerk participation award thread is in r9k. Suggest you return there if all you want to do is offer bad advice and shitpost.
>>
>>3055872
I'm the guy he was giving help suggestions to and I appreciate what he did, because unlike you shitposting, he gave me opportunities to fix my issues. You're being an ass for no reason, this isn't /b/ or /v/. You can state things without insults since most of us are adults here given our ages. Don't act like a kid.
>>
>>3055892
10/samefag
Or did he PM you all that good advice. kek.
>>
I've got an issue with the output on my SNES. No matter the television or cables, I get a steady stream of one wide and faded green bar slowly running down the screen. It's roughly 5 every 3 seconds or so. It's not too noticeable if you get preoccupied in game, but if you're idling it really stands out. Anyway I can resolve this?
>>
Not exactly retro but I picked up a PS2 fat and it's not wanting to display video. Anyone have any experience with something similar?

Also, when it does, the browser menu isn't animated at all. What's up with that?

>>3055196
I didn't even know they could fit.
>>
>>3056135
A video of it would help.
>>
>>3052897
my old monitor used to do that. cleared up a bit when I hit it on it's side.
>>
>>3056289
I'll see about piecing one together when I get home this evening.
>>
File: segasaturn.jpg (34 KB, 450x341) Image search: [Google]
segasaturn.jpg
34 KB, 450x341
I bought a saturn off a dude who said it was working. It is, but after I first start it up and play for awhile if I turn it off and start it up again the screen has horizontal bars rolling up it and games refuse to run. I googled this and it seems to be a common problems with some model 1 PAL models and their psu boards. Anyway I found a solution on this page http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32933&start=0#wrapheader of just soldering in a capacitor. Has anyone tried this fix or had this problem before?
>>
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I dropped my Wii U recently and tried to replace the disk drive. I got an error 160-1402 because I didn't realize I needed to swap the logic board with the old drive's. After doing that, the drive still isn't getting power from the Wii U (it doesn't accept disks if I try to put them in) and I'm getting a 160-1400 error. Any tips?
>>
>>3057042
Bump, I really need to know
>>
>>3057042
I've done it many times before. My main unit has a power supply like that, even.
>>
>>3058354
Thanks anon
>>
>>3057042
>>3058354
Thx it worked great
>>
>>3043776
I had this issue, ended up having to replace the port from a parts unit.
>>
File: megacd_close.jpg (25 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
megacd_close.jpg
25 KB, 400x268
Can anyone do me a favour and try booting Flux for megadrive/genesis and sega/mega cd on a Everdrive MD? It's a really cool music visualiser program but everytime I start it it works but the screen goes really dark like somethings not grounded. If I reset back to the everdrive menu the screen wigs out and goes back to normal. Wondering what is causing this?
>>
Got an N64 for free. Power cords and AV cords work perfectly. Tried different carts, different expansion paks. Contacts are clean. No matter what, when I turn it on, I get a green screen with no audio. Anyone know what this is?
>>
>>3053935
VMWare works miles better than VirtualBox for W95, but it's not free.
>>
File: 3DS-Blue-Lagoon-500x330.jpg (23 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
3DS-Blue-Lagoon-500x330.jpg
23 KB, 500x330
Ok guys. My 3DS won't turn on and makes that famous popping sound while the lower screen flashes - then nothing.

A lot of people from ifixit.com says it is related to the upper screen and speaker cables connected around it. It could have microtears on it due to the opening and closing of the 3DS.

How can I repair this ? Any ideas ?
>>
>>3061780
Link to Flux?
>>
>>3062327
>/vr/
>3ds
>>
>>3062361
http://www.gametronik.com/site/fiche/nimd/Flux%20(Europe)%20(Requires%20MegaCD)%20(Program)/
>>
>>3061780
>>3062882
I left it in this state and my monitor went snap crackle pop and smells like electrical fire so probably a bad idea to replicate this.
>>
>>3063136
aaand it's dead.
>>
>>3062227

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UifkXEkV-0
>>
>>3063147
>>3062327
>>
>>3063147
Thank you for the link.

>>3062375
Anon pls. Do you know any other board where we can discuss console hardware and repair ? If you do I'd like you to enlighten me.
>>
File: 1448139451161.png (19 KB, 178x198) Image search: [Google]
1448139451161.png
19 KB, 178x198
Anon here about to buy a Famicom to play in the US, I've heard things about power adapters destroying Famicoms, so could someone point me in the direction of a cheap generic adapter on Amazon that'll work correctly? I looked up 9v 850ma, but looking at the labels, the polarity looks wrong.
>>
File: 1443648354982.jpg (52 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1443648354982.jpg
52 KB, 409x409
>n64 Video cable stops working
>slather it in petroleum jelly
>still wont work
>get pronged thing to slather the insides all over again
>video still wont come up
>stare at my screen in defeat
>after 5 seconds video comes to life
>>
>>3065646
>slather it in petroleum jelly
>>still wont work
What the fuck?

What the hell is the point of that?
>>
>>3065646
>Not using contract cleaner.

You're dumb
>>
>>3066084
>contract cleaner
This is the guy who cleans up after the contract killer?
>>
PLEASE HELP
I have an NES that was missing the dust cover door, so I bought a door, took the console apart and replaced the door. I also blew out some of the dust that was in the console, and carefully cleaned the inside with alcohol. I just put the console back together and decided to test it out with Super Mario Bros because that's the game I'm most familiar with. Now the controls have a slight delay, and the momentum feels wrong. I tested the game on another NES that I own, and it works fine.

I know I'm not imagining things because I speedrun this game. If something feels wrong, I'll know. Something definitely feels wrong. Help?

>inb4 "just use your other NES"
That one has its own problems. It doesn't read games as well as the one that I opened up, and it's hard to get the cartridges out.
>>
>>3066052

it helps bridge the connections between pins somehow

it just works
>>
>>3066168
That doesn't make sense. Petrolium jelley isn't conductive. If you wanted a conductive paste, you'd use carbon lubricants.

Ah fuck I guess it just werks.
>>
>>3066096
many keks
>>
>>3066129
I really don't know for sure, but it could be a power issue? Or lack there of?
>>
I'm modding my Game Boy Pocket and I need to solder wires to 2 CPU pins. thing is, they're really, really small and close to each other and I'm not that good at soldering.

I know it's a vague question, but does anyone have any advice? I tried it on a defective mobo and it went terribly wrong, ended up bridging like 4 pins. I thought about using tinfoil to cover the pins.
>>
>>3066983
Don't risk fucking it up. Get someone else to do it.
>>
>>3066984
I wanna learn, though. soldering is really useful when it comes to /vr/ stuff, either for modding or fixing.

plus I have this dead mobo to practice on. I wouldn't risk it unless I'm absolutely sure I can pull it off.
>>
>>3066983
What mod are you doing?

Also don't bother with the foil, it will just bind with the solder. Are you tinning the wire first? Are you applying flux to the IC pins?

You should just be able to tin the wire, put flux on the IC pins, add some solder to the pin like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIy3Oe2UGI putting a tiny bit on the tip and sweeping it across the pin, and finally after a little more flux press the wire onto the pin with some heat.

I definitely wouldn't do that as a first soldering project though. I'd recommend assembling one of those solder-it-yourself boards you can buy in microcenter, but if you really insist on making it video game related, you could extend or replace some controller cables.
>>
>>3068317
thank you. that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

>flux

goddamn it, I'm an idiot. I'll get some tomorrow.

I'm trying to do the biversion mod, on a Pocket nonetheless. I'm using a DIP chip, I know it's not optimal but it sits nicely on top of the board.
>>
File: sony kdl 40ex402.jpg (278 KB, 840x420) Image search: [Google]
sony kdl 40ex402.jpg
278 KB, 840x420
I'm trying to get VGA to work but what ever I do, it doesn't seem to display anything on any tv. It does work however on my monitors, every tv I tried it on could display 640 x 480 through VGA, pic is the HDTV I mostly use.
>>
>>3069294
Forgot to mention that I have tried 2 different VGA cables for the Dreamcast,
>>
>>3028695
open it up and clean the glass.
>>
>>3038092
Could be a ram/rom/ppu chip needs replacement. I had a similar issue with an NES. The graphics were a little off. Turns out I had to replace one of the chips.
>>
>>3040081
>caps
Most of the time it's a simple cap replacement. I buy old broken consoles off Ebay alot. Next time get a better idea of whats wrong. I once had a cracked circut board, and had to hardwire each connection. Not worth the work. But as for caps, you can get cap sets for around $5. Or get the individual ones at Radio Shack or some shit.
>Power button
Genesis 2's have bad power buttons. Literally open it up, and clean the plastic under the button.
>cleaning
sometimes it's just filthy
>any thing else
If it's chips could be a pain in the ass. Check that, will be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>3043776
Get a 4 way
>>
File: ng_cd_psu3.jpg (19 KB, 420x271) Image search: [Google]
ng_cd_psu3.jpg
19 KB, 420x271
Are there any 3rd party power supplies for the Neo Geo CD?
>>
>>3071703
It also has that mickey mouse style plug?
Man that's really annoying.
The Famicom Titler and some MSX also have this, and absolutely no replacement for these.
Some people buy old laptop power supplies to rip it from these and build some own supplies with programmable or industry supplies. That's almost the farest my research about these went.

Someone seriously have to make replacements for those consoles urgently.
Sadly it looks like that mostly rare/expensive consoles use this.. so it will also be expensive to make them in larger quantities..
>>
>>3071743
Couldn't someone make a mickey mouse plug with a 3D printer? Could be useful for universal power supplies.
>>
>>3071842
Well it would be a solution, but still the power supply is still quite a hassle anyway. Since those plugs have two different voltage outputs. So 3 pins total different for each console/system, but still doable.
>>
On a snes 1chip-03, does not having csync affect composite, or only RGB?
>>
File: Neo-Geo-CD-FL-Flat-Back.jpg (3 MB, 4928x1740) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Geo-CD-FL-Flat-Back.jpg
3 MB, 4928x1740
>>3071854
Took another look at the connector but it looks like it isn't a mickey-mouse type.
>>
>>3069294
are your inputs set to VGA?
>>
>>3072209
Yes, but I found out that apperantly my tv's are too old (or not compatible somehow).
>>
>>3072072
Still the same i talk about. Somehow it's even unclear how this type is exactly called. Many people on forums(especially MSX) where they discussed this referred to this also to some mickey mouse type since they also haven't found the real name of it.
Would be awesome to at least know the exact name of that type.
>>
Does anyone know what size ohm resistor to use for the dream cast controller port. I just got a one (consol only) for ten bucks and it has no yellowing on it.
>>
>>3072849
Do you mean the resistor or fuse it has?
>>
>>3072943
Ya. Its a fuse for the controller ports
>>
>>3066983 here. flux helped, a lot actually, but I still can't add any more solder to the pins without bridging them.

I tried the method from the video, dropping a small dab and then swiping the iron, and it works, but there's still not enough solder.

I figure the best way to do this is tinning the wire and soldering it straight to the pin but, since there's so little solder, the connection is pretty fragile. is this OK?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 330x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 330x395
>>3028695
It looks like scuff marks. If that's what it is go to a store that sells car products like wax and shit and buy this. It's about five bucks and it polishes clear plastics. But it might not work. But it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the gameboy apart
>>
>>3040049
Ya you will defiantly learn more about game hardware. That's the best way to learn is by fixing junk that "doesn't work" and if you get good at it you can buy to fix and sell or save a lot of money collecting. I clean a stack of 30 nes games that were so dirty I thought the 72 pin connector was bad. And after I clean them. He gave me a controller a advantage pad a copy of Zelda and a couple other cheap games
>>
>>3040738
Check out a YouTube channel called retrogametech it's a Scottish dude that makes a lot of repair videos. And I learned a lot
>>
>>3049068
Ya your lazer is dying. Because it can't read larger games. My friend has a similar problem with his wii it plays wii games fine and most game cube games to. But it couldn't read Pokemon xd.
>>
>>3051296
The AV socket most likely needs to be resoldered. You should try cleaning the socket first. Because I fixed a ps2 slim that had a couple pins that broke lose. And the power socket too.
>>
>>3055196
Fortunately it didn't fry, got a proper adapter and it's working fine.
Next time I'll definitively pay more attention to this stuff anyways, instead of rushing like an idiot with a new toy like I just did.

>>3056282
>I didn't even know they could fit.
Turns out MD2 plug is a bit smaller, so I think I broke a bit the plastic from the connector when I forced it in, nothing too serious though, also bent down a bit the small contact plate inside so the plug ended up loose enough to lose contact on the slightest movements, got it unbent with a paperclip and now it fits perfectly again.

Now I'm considering a multi-region mod since it seems simple enough, even without any knowledge about electronics or soldering.
I think I better start scouting for a replacement unit just in case.
>>
My N64 has started restarting itself over and over on boot, any ideas what could be causing this?
>>
>>3074268
I'm not sure what that is for the n64 but the nes did that for boot legs games and happens with age. It's a security feature that you can disable. But try different games and try cleaning the cart slot
>>
>>3074689
Thanks for the suggestions. It happened with all the carts I tested and fairly unpredictably; resets happening from everything between seconds and minutes.

Will go out and pick up some cleaning alcohol and/or compressed air tomorrow, hopefully that'll be enough to remedy the problem.
>>
File: SHA_x68000XVI_1D.jpg (101 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SHA_x68000XVI_1D.jpg
101 KB, 800x600
Are there any modern cases that have a very similar design like the Sharp X68000?
>>
File: turbo-everdrive-v24.jpg (101 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
turbo-everdrive-v24.jpg
101 KB, 800x800
I might want to buy a TG Everdrive but I have a few questions:

For the cd games; do the the arcade card games work when using the right system software?

I have a region modded TG, if I set the console one the same region as the card wil it work?
>>
>>3077610
CD games won't be playable with the verdrive, just hucard games. You have to buy an CD-Addon for your TG/PC-Engine, then you just can burn the CD-Images without any additional stuff, they are completly unprotected. Also you still have to buy the Arcade addon-card, since it's not the system software which is needed but the addional RAM in it, that's the real reason what's all about.

Region modded: Should be no problem, else just switch the region on the everdrive.
>>
>>3077623
But I heard the newer version (2.4) has 4 MB RAM
if I am not mistaken.
>>
>>3077648
That RAM is only for faster loading of roms AFAIK.
>>
>>3035784
I too, have a DC with a shifty disk drive. Do you know of any tutorial where I could find out what disk drive fits in what generation DC?
>>
>>3065640
The same as for a SNES or a Genesis will do. Unless american SNES'es use a different adapter to european or japanese SFC's, that is.
>>
I've got an N64 that won't play games. I've tested the carts, AV Cables, Power Supply and Expansion pack I'm using with it and they all work fine. The cart slot seems clean too. Any ideas?
>>
>>3078426
Check inside for bad caps and broken solder joints.

>>3072990
The joint isn't going to be super strong anyway, so don't be concerned about that. After you do solder it on, cover the joint in silicon rubber.
>>
>>3078475
Also make sure the silicon rubber is non-acidic
>>
>>3077623
>>3077648
>>3077668
but if you have a duo, duo R or duo RX you don't need the card and should be fine anyway right?
>>
>>3077715
I know a euro megadrive/master system adapter will power an av famicom or a Super famicom fine (also a jap megadrive). Don't know about the american versions of those though, I think they're very different. For example you're not supposed to use a pal snes adapter for either even though it will 'work'
>>
>>3079863
I have a briefcase kind
>>
>>3037797
i'll warn you anon. I had this exact problem and it was corroded contacts to the video processor.
>>
File: sega mega cd devkit.png (776 KB, 800x637) Image search: [Google]
sega mega cd devkit.png
776 KB, 800x637
>>3040025
step 1: see if it lights up/shows a message when turned on, if not skip to 4
step 2: clean cartridge slot with iso + cloth and credit card
step 3: use cleaned game and see if it works
step 4: use a power supply/av cord you know works
step 5: clean inside, blow all dust out etc. then try switch again
step 6: look for busted/leaking caps and cracked solder joints/corroded traces or worse
step 7: check continuity of power then av from pcb
Gets alot more complicated from there on.
>>
>>3079863
Fine for what?
You then can play copied CD games yes. But not Arcade you still need the Arcade RAM expansion card.

And if you want to play copied hucard games, you still have to buy an everdrive. I'm not sure if there are some loaders where you can burn the hucard roms with on CD and run it from there. Might be possible but not sure, since i have an everdrive and it's comfortable with it.
>>
A few questions. Firstly: The NES expanded sound channels through a resister on expansion pins 3 and 9.

Anyone experimented with this extensively and found a good resister rating that makes for good sound balance? Just curious.
Nextly. I am curious about exactly how those sound channels work with famicom game on NTSC NES. I have heard that roms on an everdrive will play through the channels, but is that an everdrive feature? Or just any Rom? What about famicom carts through a pin converter? Or maybe a repro cart?

And, on a similarly related note: I've got not one but two copies of Double Dragon 2 that are fubar'd. So I figured I'd at least experiment with the PCB's... Are there any resources for replacing roms on nes games with eproms and creating your own reproduction cart? I'd love to play Gimmick with all its features complete on my frontloader.
>>
super basic question. do the springs in the NES cartridge bay need to be replaced?

can't get my childhood NES to work 95% of the time, even after replacing the 72-pin connector. when the game is in, i can still push the game up and down a bit without moving the springs.
>>
>>3080863
That seems pretty normal to me. I've had mixed luck with pin connector replacements. I just switched to a Blinking Light Win and so far it works better than anything else but it's too early to say for the longevity of it.
>>
File: BONES.jpg (42 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
BONES.jpg
42 KB, 360x360
Where do I find replacement shells for the Famicom wired controllers? The controllers work fine, but the outsides a little beat up.
>>
>>3080863
Did you clean the silver colored contacts on the nes motherboard before replacing the connector?
>>
>>3028752
Make sure it's on the right channel.
>>
>>3033197
>3 boxes

Like cereal boxes, or fridge boxes, or ????
>>
>>3081612
yeah. tried to, anyway. the game just feels too loose in there.
>>
>>3045506
>Soldering
What's a good place to start soldering? Like, I'm okay at it, but would like to know what some fairly simple things are that I could do to improve my skill to transition into being able to do the more complicated things.
>>
>>3054694
The ONLY downfall to doing this will be some games base random events on processor speed. It would almost be worth getting an old 386 or 486 just for those games.
>>
>>3055236
Go to DHgate. Literally any USB drive should work, but I'd stick under 2 gigs just to be safe. If you can get <1gig you should be golden.
>>
File: 20160322_183056.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160322_183056.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
A power surge hit and some of my consoles won't turn on anymore. Have any of you ever seen a chip with this strange goop before? Its solid like cured epoxy or something.
>>
>>3083983
It's just epoxy to keep the chip from moving.

Check the power supply for blown fuses
>>
>>3082813
>What's a good place to start soldering?
go to /diy/ and find /ohm/ - Electronics General thread.

Tons of electronic/soldering enthusiasts lurk there
>>
>>3063147
I was thinking of doing something similar with a Wii U, basically part it out looking for junked components and fixing it. I found a GamePad for $30 that basically has just cosmetic issues. I'm figure I win if I can get a complete system for $100 or less
Any known issues or known fixes for issues on the Wii U
and as >>3064003 said there really is no other repair thread but if you think this is better asked elsewhere please let me know.
>>
>>3026546
Hey, /vr/!

I've acquired a free SNES by some slip of fate but the AC adapter input is missing something, it only has 2 metal prongs attached with the area around it just being open. I'm missing the bit that encased those prongs. If anyone can understand this issues as I've explained (this explanation sucks), any tips of fixing this thing?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.