[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's something about shoving 8-32bit console games on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: gpd-xd-front-side.jpg (143 KB, 800x551) Image search: [Google]
gpd-xd-front-side.jpg
143 KB, 800x551
There's something about shoving 8-32bit console games on a small screen that just feels so right

I've been looking for a portable emulator and was thinking about the GPD XD. Anyone have one/could vouch for it?
>>
>all that empty space in the middle
Why? That's some awful design. Could at least throw some buttons there to use as turbo buttons/for 6-face-buttons consoles.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with this device, but most of these android based emulation devices tend to be fairly mediocre. If you have a decent android phone, you might as well just get a controller for it and use that instead. You'll have access to the same emulators and probably end up with a similar result, for a cheaper price.

Also, most of those devices have really, really terrible and cheap-feeling buttons and joysticks. YMMV.
>>
>>3072963
>all that empty space in the middle
>Why?

That's where the huge fuck-off battery is.
>>
File: dingoo.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
dingoo.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>3072963
>Also, most of those devices have really, really terrible and cheap-feeling buttons and joysticks. YMMV.
this is exactly why i use a psp despite my interest in these. i do kind of want to grab a dingoo though.
>>
Wake me up when Android lag ceases to be a thing.
>>
>>3073025

Your family may as well just unplug your life support now, because you're never coming out of that coma.
>>
>>3073025

Android lag?
>>
>>3073035

Android has shit latency.

Also if you even think about installing anything Google-related, you receive enough spyware to occupy half a gig of RAM and cut your battery life in half.
>>
>>3072929

I heard someone mention the build quality is typical Chinese garbage. Decent buttons though.

What turned me off from buying it is apparently using a faster charger can potentially make the battery explode
>>
File: pyra-render.jpg (218 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pyra-render.jpg
218 KB, 800x600
>>3073025
Well, you can always get a Pyra and do away with using Android entirely.
>>
>>3073239

Aren't those insanely expensive?
>>
Shit like that is overpriced, and the emulation support isn't necessarily as good as what can be achieved on a modded console. You're better off investing in a used PSP-1001 and modding it.
>>
>>3073265

Don't modded PSPs suffer when it comes to SNES emulation?
>>
>>3072929
is that you, dsdad?
>>
>>3073271
>Don't modded PSPs suffer when it comes to SNES emulation?

Yes. SNES emulation on PSP is definitely sub-par. That's probably going to be the case with dedicated emulation devices as well.

On the other hand, you can still play SNES-to-GBA and SNES-to-PS1 ports without any issues most of the time. So that leaves you with the Mario and Final Fantasy games, at least.
>>
>>3073303

Isn't it also a little on the difficult side to find a PSP that isn't all fucked up?
>>
>>3073303
>you can still play SNES-to-GBA
I was keeping heard GBA emulation is bad.
So how is it?
>>
>>3073307
just buy a new one. e 1001 one series. or a ps vita and hack psp part.
>>
>>3073309

Refresh my memory does the e 1001 PSP need the Pandora's battery hack?
>>
>>3073309

I just googled it, it's a PAL only PSP from what I'm reading
>>
>>3073260
Yeah, the Pyra's going to be at least 500 Euros. The extra price is because of the hardware modability and that it will just run regular GNU/Linux which is a fucking chore to get running on most other mobile device. The bonus for it running Linux is that almost every desktop emulator will just work for it.
>>
>>3073329
No. None have for ages, you just have to launch a specific app and boom all psps are modded.
>>
>>3073392

Looks like there's a lot of websites, videos, and articles saying the e 1000 is useless though
>>
>>3072963
>>all that empty space in the middle
it's called having a decent battery you stupid iphone cuck
>>
>>3073417
http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/12915-psp-6-61-custom-firmware-install-any-psp-psp-psp-slim-psp-3000-psp-go-e1000.html
>>
File: 15330[1].jpg (111 KB, 652x435) Image search: [Google]
15330[1].jpg
111 KB, 652x435
Fuck. The amount of wrong ass information in this thread is insane. I usually flame a particular handheld to bait for replies but at least I do it based on facts. There's enough wrong flaming in this thread that I think I'll actually play angel's advocate this time

PSPs are pretty decent, even the 1000. They really are old devices they just had really nice screens for the time so they don't seem as old as their specs and for a while there were good devs making apps for them (like ten years ago). They handle most shit fine and can even run a lot of N64 stuff with some frame skipping they just skip a LOT of frames when they try to emulate something with some kind of gimmick effect and SNES (and GBA) both kind of have a lot of those and they're not very smooth on PSP even on 3000s. You can hear it in the music too which really upsets a lot of people. They run Playstation games amazingly though. Also, they're cheap.

Android, too while it does inherently have a certain amount of delay the emulator authors are really amazing people and they've compensated for that. That's part of what's nice about having a real live modern OS that people are constantly developing for.

If OP gets off on running pixel games on small screens he would probably bust his nut from seeing something run in its real native resolution like they do on Dingoo but damn that ghosting in the pic Anon posted earlier in this thread plus Dingoos are beginning to command a premium price. Here's a protip: Pick up a Motorola Flipout they have a 640x480 native screen. You have to put some custom firmware on them since they're pretty underpowered but let's be honest if you're complaining about bloatware or anything like that on your Android you're basically saying you're an idiot who doesn't know how to get control of your own hardware.

Finally, let me remind everyone that there are TONS of full-on Windows 8 tablets in 5 to 7 inch size for around $50 used these days with specs that crush "gaming devices"
>>
>>3072963
isn't the space in the middle the second display or touch pad aka Nintendo 3ds
?
>>
>>3073424
definitely bad design.
>>
>>3073239
you do know there are Ubuntu phones right?
>>
>>3073417
why? Every psp is essentially the same
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.