[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got a Vectrex today at a garage sale with Berzerk and 1 controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 20111112-191422.jpg (75 KB, 360x482) Image search: [Google]
20111112-191422.jpg
75 KB, 360x482
Got a Vectrex today at a garage sale with Berzerk and 1 controller for 100 bucks. Did I do good? Also, I tried to use the player 2 slot to play Mine storm with my 1 controller and it didn't work. Is my player 2 controller port broken? It otherwise works great played berzerk for a good 20 mins earlier and mine storm for like 10 mins.
>>
Aren't Vectrexes rare as fuck?
>>
>>3059668
I think they're more so uncommon.
>>
>>3059659
Yeah that's a good deal. Pretty pricey for a yard sale but since you were obviously able to test it, yeah worth twice that pretty easy. I also only have one controller for mine and I haven't tried swapping but it's quite possible it needs to be plugged in when the machine comes on to register. Remember it's analog. Now you just have to decide if you want to be like me, invest in a multicart and be endlessly frustrated by no overlays or if you want to slowly accumulate the ever-appreciating originals with overlays.

>>3059668
Yes, quite. They haven't been completely discovered by the collecting community at large either so they're set to blow up pretty soon.
>>
Ah, Berzerk.
The deadliest game ever made
>>
>>3059685
yeah the guy had amazon pulled up where they are like 400 bucks and asked 150. Said his brother passed away and left it and I collect so gave it for 100. Kinda sad about needing overlays for every game.
>>
i have no experience with the vectrex at all but berzerk is like one of 5 games i enjoy on the 2600 so yes you did awesome finding a rare console with a sweet ass game
>>
>>3059704
I'm getting so sick of every idiot "checking prices online" I've pretty much stopped trying to find retro games in the wild. I mainly just trade with other collectors at this point.

Like, $150 was actually a "fair" price. You can get a loose Vectrex for $150 with a little care and patience. I have no clue what makes people think that they should get "fair" or "more than fair" prices from people who have gone to the effort to burn up their gas and look for stuff instead of just sitting home and having their stuff delivered right to their door and I've run out of the patience to explain to people about what they would be losing in fees and what I am giving up in buyers protection even beyond the inconvenience of even having to look at their idiot faces.
>>
>>3059731
>being this mad
>not emulating in the first place
>>
>>3059731
Bro.

You don't realize is that people are willing to pay people's asking prices.

I posted a shitload of NES, and SNES games (mostly doubles). Guys were asking to buy 15, 20 games and were asking if I could give them a discount.

I said no.

And you know what?

9/10 that asked for discounts that got declined picked up what they wanted at my full asking price.

That's the market we live in.
>>
>>3059659
I had one growing up and had a lot of fun with it. It has some pretty solid games like Clean Sweep, Scramble, Berzerk, Spike and Molly, Star Trek and MineStorm being a pretty decent Asteroids clone built in. (You can play it by leaving a cart out of the system and turning it on.)
>>
>>3059739
>Emulating Vectrex

>>3059740
I should really just sell off my entire collection other than the novel tech before this bubble bursts
>>
>>3059685
>not knowing you can get overlays printed
>>
>>3060117
>Not knowing the guy who did it stopped doing it ten years ago
>>
>>3059659
No you'll never do good if you seek my validation.
>>
>>3060143
>only one guy in the world ever had a printer
>it stopped working 10 years ago
toppest of keks kiddo
>>
Vectrex are pretty unreliable if I am not mistaken. I remember the first one I bought, screen flickered when a cartridge was inserted.
>>
>>3063005
The plastic ring around the slot can get loose over time and stress some of the electronics whenever you fiddle with cartridges. The best thing is to hold the ring as you remove a game.
>>
>>3060762
You have to use a bubble jet printer to print onto transparency then you have to make custom stencils to spray on the opaque parts then you have to sandwich the whole thing into an adhesive laminate without trapping a speck of dust then trim the whole thing down to the correct shape to snap into the notches but by all means if you intend on starting up producing them at less than the $10-$20 each originals go for when they appear loose I'll be the first to order some from you.
>>
>>3063005
They gave their issues but they're easy enough to fix.

>>3063047
Yeah, you don't need to do all that shit. You just don't know what you're doing. There are printers that can print the whole thing,including white, on a single sheet of plastic. Cutting it to the right size is easy as fuck and can even be automated if you're too retarded to do it yourself. You can send the files to an output center and get back a finished overlay for $2 for one, less for more.
I have no interest in making a few shekels by helping unworthy faggots like you save a few bucks. I'd rather watch you give your money to ebay resellers.
>>
>>3063184
>This neo-/vr/ tier smug ignorance
>>
>>3063206
>knowing how to do stuff is ignorance
>normal /v/ tier ignorance detected
>>
>>3059748
I've been thinking about that, it grows more tempting after experiencing flash carts. In the case of the 64 I have already sold off half of my carts. Probs gonna do the same for NES soon too.

I find it hard to separate emotionally though, some of my games have a lot of good times attached to them, not to mention save data. I need a way to back all of that up first before I give it serious thought.
>>
>>3063184
You tell me how to do it or give me a tip to start researching and I'll do it. I'm fine with looking into a fun new project.
>>
>>3063909
The main issue people have with printing Vectrex overlays is printing white. Most printers don't do it. The simplest solution is just to use an output service that has a printer that can print white. That's all there is to it. There's lots of difficult ways to print white just like there's lots of difficult ways to drive a nail without a hammer.
The next bit is cutting. Again, if you have the wrong tools I imagine it can be difficult. Fortunately people have been making tools for cutting clean rounded corners and shit for ages. You can get a paper cutter, corner punch and circle cutter in nearly any stationary store. Any decent output center will have these and can cut the shit for you.
And that's all there is to it.
>>
>>3063854
>>3064053
I challenge you to show any "output center" that can print partially opaque transparencies, let alone for $2 then we'll start discussing how they feel about making copies of obviously copyrighted works.
>>
>>3064081
If you don't what what an output center is let alone what they charge for digital printing then I'm not going to waste my time trying to learn you anything faggot. Little shits who shout "I want! I want! Show me! Show me now!" aren't going to get anything from me except grief.

>being too young to have ever had a summer job at kinkos
kek
>>
>>3064127
The burden of proof is on the one who makes the claims. That's you.
>>
>>3059731
>I'm getting so sick of every idiot "checking prices online"
>I'm mad that people are actually checking the worth of things before they sell them!

Before you try to claim that they're not worth that much- consider this. Many people are paying these "online prices" so it very obviously is worth the asking price. I'm getting real fuckin sick of you entitled collector manbabies
>>
>>3064504
And we're sick of you greedy kikes
>>
>>3064504
the problem is most people who check online find the highest priced listing and are like LOOK SOMEONE IS ASKING 300 FOR THIS COMMON AS FUCK GAME SO I WANT 300. Like fuck outta here you fucking clown retard
>>
>>3064138
>easily available and public knowledge isn't true until someone gives me a link because I'm entitled to be a lazy fuck
The post.
>>
>>3064138
>anyone has to prove anything to any kid on the internet
Top kek kid. I get more satisfaction from seeing you rage than I even could by helping an undeserving cunt learn how to have nice things.
>>
File: image.png (681 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
681 KB, 750x1334
>>3059731
I feel you anon it's been pissing me off too
>>
>>3059739
>emulating vector displays

>>3064081
>what is kinkos
>implying anyone at kinkos would ever recognize vectrex overlays
>>
>>3064640

I don't even express interest in anything in particular in front of them. I just give them my number and tell them to text me with whatever they end up left over with that doesn't sell and we'll work out a deal.

They'll stubbornly stick to their prices throughout the day, the shit won't sell, and then they sit on it and sulk for maybe 2-3 more days before contacting me. By that point they're more agreeable about offers.

It doesn't work all the time but it's by far the most efficient method I've used in those situations.
>>
One nice things is most hipsters and little fucklets usually don't go older then nes. So hopefully these won't sky rocket in price. Just because of the built in tv.
>>
>>3066352
If Nintendo releases a muhrio game for the 2600 you're fucked.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.