[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 4133JwedpXL.jpg (30 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
4133JwedpXL.jpg
30 KB, 500x320
So, i am really interested in arcades and thought of the best way to play some nice arcades on my crt with an arcade stick.
At the end i just figured that a rasberry pi would be the best.
I'd just buy one, put mame and all the games i want to on it and than simply go for some gaming.
But will it be that easy?
What do i have to keep in mind when i try to build my machine?
Does a HDMI to Scart converter producea big input-lag or will it be okay?
How easy is it to actually Programm the raspberry?
How much space should the SD-cart have at least?
I'd really appriciate if you guys could help me out. thanks.
>>
I use a Pi for all sorts.

To get around the SD card limiations I just got an old USB hard-drive (with a power cable) and put the whole OS on that. No need to worry about read-write limits now. All you need to do is copy the OS to the HDD, then set the partitions to point to the right place. Leave the SD as /boot though.
>>
It`s slow and will limit what games can be played. Some arcade games need a lot faster hardware.
>>
>>3013316
Sorry mate, but I never used mame, nor a raspberry or anything. This would be like the very first time i try to something like this and i am a fucking idiot.
So could you please explain to me what you mean with OS?
And what are the read-write Limits you are talking about?
What are the right places to setthe partitions?

>>3013329
what would you suggest instead?
I also got an old Computer in my Basement, that i used to playgames with around 2010.
Such as Black Ops and stuff like that.
so that Hardware would be fast enough?
>>
File: intel nuc.jpg (7 KB, 310x155) Image search: [Google]
intel nuc.jpg
7 KB, 310x155
>>3013329
The R Pi 2 is pretty fast, probably good to handle at least up to PS1.

What arcade games do you mean? Most mame stuff up through early 2000s isn't /that/ intensive, is it?

OP, my advice is to shell out a bit more money ($100-300) on a barebones pc. They're powerful enough to double as media or light gaming PCs and you don't have to fuck with Linux if you're a Winbro. I just got an Intel i3 set up as a media center for around $300 including a SSD and RAM, and I love it (whereas my first gen RPi is sitting in a box somewhere).
>>
>>3013343
>I also got an old Computer in my Basement, that i used to playgames with around 2010.
>Such as Black Ops and stuff like that.
>so that Hardware would be fast enough?
Didn't see this, that looks like it'll be fine too. I went with the NUC because I wanted it to be on 24 hours, and I wanted it to be quiet.
>>
>>3013343
specs?
>>
Look Mom it's a shill thread!
>>
>>3013837
Yep, the people selling the $20 computers (and consistently selling out on new hardware releases with no advertising) are paying to shill on 4chan. Dipshit.
>>
>>3013283
It's easy. There are lot's of pretty much turnkey setups. But the devices are all seriously underpowered and the video will have noticeable lag. It's a very poor choice for emulation
>>
>>3013283
>At the end i just figured that a rasberry pi would be the best.

There's single board computers the same price as the raspberry pi that are three times as powerful...
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.