[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
adventure game thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 19
File: amazonqueen.jpg (62 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
amazonqueen.jpg
62 KB, 640x400
Point & click, text based etc. it's all good. What have you been playing lately? Any obscure recommendations? Perhaps games made by you?

I finished Flight of the Amazon Queen some time ago because it was available for free from the devs and it was pretty alright. It's definitely trying to be up there with Monkey Island and Indiana Jones, the visual style and humor is very similar. Some of the puzzles were kinda stupid because your character carries a baseball bat in his inventory throughout the whole game and there's like gazillion different puzzles you could've solve with that in real life logic.
There's also lots and lots and lots of red herring. Could be because the devs had too many ideas and they tried to cram them all in and then just got bored. It has nice voice acting as well.

I'm also currently working on my own adventure game with AGS, though I'm not sure if I should make it for MsDOS for nostalgic reasons, or if I should just go with windows.
>>
File: tex murphy lightbody.jpg (47 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
tex murphy lightbody.jpg
47 KB, 450x338
I've been also playing lots of the first Tex Murphy game. I really want to like it but it's really really hard game and not in a good way. Got the all Tex games from some bundle and I'm 12 hours in with the first game and no end in sight, it's really repetitive as well.
Good thing the plot is pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to play the other games, the third one and following games should have that sweet sweet FMV I love so much.

It's a weird mishmash of genres; point & click, flight, text adventure, shoot em up, and it doesn't do very good job in any of those. The graphics look like ass with the weird bronze-red color scheme.
>>
>>3008068
Honestly I liked first Tex Murphy more than second one. Martian Memorandum is a point'n'click, but holy shit it feels awkward and sprites are horrible. 3-4 are pain in the ass to play because of controls and 5 is a remake of the first one. 4 is really awesome because it multiple endings and other stuff.
>>
I've been playing DOOM, which I suppose qualifies as point & click.

Jokes aside, I haven't really played any recently aside from Anna's Quest off and on, and that one's not retro.

Tried making one in AGS back in August and realized I better learn to draw backgrounds and characters first. And pick a nice style, more importantly.

>>3008074
I played Under A Killiing Moon and got surprisingly far. Then I gave up at the stealth section with the guard bot. I hate exploring while essentially on a time limit in a room.

Another old game I played was Discworld Noir. A very flaggy game where sometimes you have no other choice but to revisit everything and brute force your way through.
>>
>>3008103
>I hate exploring while essentially on a time limit in a room.
If you trap it in the closet where you need to find some stuff to progress - it won't chase you and you'll be able to explore whole level freely.
>>
>>3008062
I played through FOTAQ in scummvm on my smartphone. Had to resort to walkthroughs in some instances, but I really enjoyed the game overall. Good mix of adventure and humor.

Which non-comedy or mostly 'serious' point and click adventure games are worth playing? I know about The Dig which is already on my list.
>>
>>3008108
You see, didn't even get to that closet before I lost interest.
>>
>>3008062
If you like Cthulhu, try Prisoner of Ice
>>
>>3008276
Nobody likes Cthulhu; that's the point
>>
File: not-fate-of-atlantis.jpg (156 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
not-fate-of-atlantis.jpg
156 KB, 640x400
I've been playing some olden spanish ones; there's this small tradition of extremely bland but technically competent LucasArts knockoffs

They usually commissioned pro-ish artwork and animations, but the game design itself was obviously handled by engineers fancying themselves Gilbertesque authors. The results are... eh; but not a particularly bad kind of eh

There's Igor: Objective Uikokahonia (pic related). The guys who made it did later made a career out of the dying nicheness of the genre (Hollywood Monsters, the Runaway Series, and so forth) using the same formula: aggressively vanilla concepts and design, but irreproachable technical execution
>>
File: not-day-of-the-tentacle.png (56 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
not-day-of-the-tentacle.png
56 KB, 640x400
>>3008539
Also, I'm told Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back is actually supported in ScummVM

The devs did't fare as well as the Pendulo guys, but they released a point-and-click game call The Abbey not long ago (inspired in a spanish adventure classic called La Abadía del Crimen, itself inspired by Umberto Eco's novel The Name of the Rose), with a hugely pointless cel-shaded cartoon art direction
>>
Simon the Sorcerer is a good point and click game.
>>
>>3008276
I'm definitely going to play that, but first I need to finish reading the Mountains of Madness novel that the game is apparently a sequel to.
>>
>>3008539
I remember playing this. Back then I didn't know it was from the same people as Runaway series.
>>
File: 1387026775815.png (20 KB, 246x235) Image search: [Google]
1387026775815.png
20 KB, 246x235
>making my own adventure with AGS
>can't get the backgrounds to match with character sprites so they both look like they're from complete different games
>have too many ideas, and then not enough ideas
>tfw after spending days on one character I realize that I need to draw gazillion more

I could ask more people to join in the project, but then it wouldn't be my personal project.
>>
>>3008587
>can't get the backgrounds to match with character sprites so they both look like they're from complete different games
Work with paletted graphics, and be especially mindful that your characters and backgrounds have the same pixel density.

>tfw after spending days on one character I realize that I need to draw gazillion more
Post some of your character art anon
>>
This genre seems fun, but I'm so unbelievably bad at them. The worst part is that since all the solutions are easily accessible online nowadays, I don't have the patience to actually try to solve the puzzles.

Any good entry level adventure games?
>>
File: gobliiins-ss3.gif (15 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
gobliiins-ss3.gif
15 KB, 320x200
>>3009020
Gobliiinns is puzzle adventure so it's more compartmentalized and you never get lost. It's also really fun.
>>
File: image.gif (73 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
73 KB, 640x400
Excuse me best game coming through.
>>
>>3009141
I played the first MI game when I could barely understand english, and the version I had didn't have the inventory item icons but a text list.
>>
>>3009141
Well, duh.
>>
File: mi.jpg (209 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
mi.jpg
209 KB, 640x400
>>3009141
It's kind of odd how the VGA/CD-ROM version is somehow considered the de facto "original" version of the game (it's even the only available in the Special Edition)

The conversion of the graphics, needlessly realistic closeup portraits aside, are OK, but I like the crisp, minimal and expressionistic look of the original better (plus, there's some effects that weren't translated for the upgraded version like animation transitions for the closeups, the different background versions for the gradual Melee Island dock sunset, and a couple more)
>>
File: monkey-island-2.gif (478 KB, 509x180) Image search: [Google]
monkey-island-2.gif
478 KB, 509x180
>>3009141
I've been just playing the first two again. The cleverness and sophistication of the first one's design is amazing (in the same game, they introduced the modern form of their dialogue tree system AND bent its intended use to make it work as a combat system)

Still, LeChuck's revenge will always be the best for me. Great atmosphere and world building, and the brutal amount of puzzles, characters, locations and inventory items define the genre for me; plus, the first one is a bit to snarky and self aware for its own good; it feels it's too cool to even attempt to make you actually care about the story and characters

The only thing I miss in LR is some combat/swashbuckling section maybe, but the voodoo duel in the final act is the high point of the series
>>
>>3009264
2spoopy

anyone know how to rip sprites from scumm games?
>>
>>3009207
>>3009264
>>3009276
I really liked the animation of The Secret of Monkey Island. Before they went all 3D.
>>
>>3009207
I've been playing the EGA version in dosbox, mainly because I couldn't get the Amiga verison to run good. UAE runs too damn slow on my machine, and SCUMMVM has sound problems. It's all due to the shitty state of open source drivers for my laptop. I hate new hardware, wish I could just buy another Amiga 500 and be done with it.
>>
>>3008164
The Gabriel Knight series
The first Broken Sword game (I haven't played any of the others)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

I've heard good things about Sanitarium, Blade Runner, and Beneath a Steel Sky as well.
>>
Under A Steel Sky is really good.
>>
>>3009276
I'd love to change the dialogue.

"Doot doot."

"The leg bone kicks the fuccboi."

"This rib bone got calcium."

Guybrush "Thanks Mr and Mrs skeletal"
>>
>>3009838
>The Gabriel Knight series
>The first Broken Sword game (I haven't played any of the others)
Thanks!
I've played the rest of your suggestions already. I can really recommend those three ones you haven't played.

>>3010330
That'd be a lot of fun. Personally I just want to use some character sprites from Fate of Atlantis as placeholders in my own adventure game though.
>>
>>3008062
>Any obscure recommendations?
Realms of the Haunting
>>
>>3010430
It shouldn't be too hard to hack ScummVM so that when it loads a sprite it dumps it to a .png file.
>>
I see steam has Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th anniversary HD re-release. Is it worth it? Does it include the old graphics I can switch back to? The new graphics don't look all that bad, but I really like the look of the original game.
I never finished the original games because I couldn't get them work properly.
>>
>>3009141
>this
>>
>>3010435

OK, I'll bite. Sell me on playing this game.
>>
>>3010585
Not that guy, but it's a lovecraftian adventure-fps with fairly simplistic puzzles and a good and well-told storyline. Very atmospheric with excellent voice acting and sound effects. Feels like playing a 90's cult movie.
>>
File: realms.jpg (199 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
realms.jpg
199 KB, 640x480
>>3010585
It has full motion video, spooky atmosphere, puzzles, and a haunted mansion. Indiegala gives out a free steam keys every now and then so you don't even need to pay for it if you're patient enough.
>>
>>3010604

I'll just pirate it.

Sounds kinda cool, folks. I'll hit it up.
>>
>>3008062
euros need to learn to type English in an acceptable manner if they are to post here. viz 'many red herring'
>>
>>3010753
Much appreciate.
>>
File: 2137.png (3 KB, 240x125) Image search: [Google]
2137.png
3 KB, 240x125
>>3008062
Loom on ScummVM with EGA graphics and MT32 audio, first time playthrough

BEST GAME EVER!

I'm playing by ear on expert mode and it's amazing! They don't make games like these anymore! The MT32 music is amazing!
>>
File: images-18.jpg (6 KB, 358x141) Image search: [Google]
images-18.jpg
6 KB, 358x141
This game was awesome and some of the coolest strange music, But the garden music was the shit.
>>
File: hero.png (781 KB, 801x476) Image search: [Google]
hero.png
781 KB, 801x476
>>3009207
Shit, to me those are best graphics because they do so much with so little :)

People haven't posted best series yet though.
>>
File: qfg2import.jpg (215 KB, 1282x805) Image search: [Google]
qfg2import.jpg
215 KB, 1282x805
>>3010848
>>
>>3010876
kek.
I played a little of 1 a month ago but have just been so busy with doom that I haven't touched it.
I made a thief called 'ovyey'
>mfw I've actually only played 1(hero's quest), 4, and 5
>>
File: image.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>3010836
More like horror hard right guys?
>>
Just finished Tex Murphy Mean Streets, and boy was it a chore to beat. It was very repetitive and extremely vanilla. Bad sounds, bad graphics, bad gameplay.
Out of curiosity I quickly checked out how the second game plays because I'm planning to play them all, and I was positively surprised because it actually felt like a good game. Real point and click adventure mechanics, decent graphics, and best of all; no boring ass traveling!
>>
>>3010985
That's shit Carlos. I expect better from you.

Something like "More like Whore-ro Soft".
>>
Just started Sam & Max hit the road.
>>
>>3014303
Take your time and enjoy it, you don't get a second chance to play a classic like that for the first time.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-05-02-22h07m33s75.png (808 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-05-02-22h07m33s75.png
808 KB, 1280x480
>>3009207
>>3009812
Have you tried playing the EGA version on composite? It looks absolutely stunning. Pic related is a bad example because it was compressed to hell and back and it's not a great colour showoff but seems like a whole other game in comparison. Then again only PCJr and Amiga users with no RGB played it like this.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-05-30-22h06m14s156.png (453 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-05-30-22h06m14s156.png
453 KB, 640x480
>>3014650
And here's Loom because why the fuck not, complete with pseudo transparency effects.
>tfw you didn't back Gilbert's game now that Mark Ferrari jumped on board
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.