[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I went to my local retro game store yesterday, it didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: flier042809playntrade1a1aa.jpg (408 KB, 590x475) Image search: [Google]
flier042809playntrade1a1aa.jpg
408 KB, 590x475
I went to my local retro game store yesterday, it didn't go so well. A lot of games were pretty cheap, but they're all fairly common games, or games for six then consoles that everyone already owns, and they're all around the same price as you can find those things for on Craigslist or a goodwill.
They had a copy of Tales of Destiny 2, which was I think the rarest game they were selling. But they wanted $200 for it, saying that it was "Complete in Box". It had a jewel case, although it was obviously a new one, and actually didn't even have an insert, rather a poorly photocopied JPEG of the cover art. The guy insisted it was a good deal.

They had lots of games in that state.
My question is, what is my incentive to go there? If retro game stores are more and more using eBay as a price guide (I see other anons talking about that here) and still trying to pull Craigslist tier shit when it comes to condition, why the fuck should I go there when I can get the game sent to my door for the same price? Anyone else have this problem?
>>
File: J U S T.png (103 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
J U S T.png
103 KB, 217x320
>>3005441
the only retro store here is bullshit. 4x ebay price.
How the fuck have they been able to stay open for years I mean who the fuck buys anything from them? I understand they have to make money but what the fuck
>>
>>3005441
the one i go to is similar, they sell more dvds and next gen games and phones etc than sega or nintendo games so i guess they mark up the price?
>>
I really think there are some sellers who are so dead-set on the idea that their goods are rare and valuable that they'd rather close their doors than budge an inch on price ("for offer no lowball i know what the game is worth"). Every once in awhile some guy probably comes in and pays their ridiculous prices, thereby reaffirming their belief that all they have to do is wait long enough and that one special guy in the area who understands the true value of old games will come in and pay $60 for their sunfaded, "RICKY'S GAME" Super Mario Bros. 3 cart. With the apparent boom in terms of collecting old games, you wind up with a vicious cycle of opportunistic sellers feeding and being fed by new, frenzied buyers who have little knowledge of the market (or rather little understanding of the market before these fad-hopper types shat all over it). It doesn't help that some people in both of these groups likely view old games as poor man's investment pieces.
>>
Found an N64 with a controller and Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time on CL for $82. Should I buy it?
>>
>>3005441

Stop going to cuck stores.

I've lived in 3 different areas and retro shopped in all of them, only sometimes were they much more expensive than Ebay, and then only on price moved games.

Those stores aren't stupid, why would they sell it to you, when they can just sell it on ebay? That's what a lot of the stores do, the stuff is in the store, and it's also listed online.

The GOOD retro stores will have the games a little cheaper than online (like 10% cheaper).

So, it is a good idea to go to a retro store, if you can find a good one. Amazon and Ebay charge like 15% of your sale to use their service, so any good store will give you approximately that much off the price you'd get online.
>>
>>3008692
Yes.
>>
>>3008719
I do sometimes wonder what benefits a niche thing like an old game shop receives from running a brick and mortar. I'm guessing it serves as an easy way to get cheap inventory from people who just drop off box fulls of old games and as a way to sell off cheap commons that aren't worth the effort of listing on ebay along with impulse buy sales (like old Nintendo consoles and first party games). I just can't imagine that overall local sales volume could ever come close to what you can get by selling online.
>>
>>3008795

That is exactly it. If I want to resell games I have to find them at flea markets. They literally sit on their ass and people bring them games and they smile when you give them 30% what you're gonna sell it for.
>>
>>3008795

Look at a retro game store that is closing, and I'll show you one that also doesn't list their shit on amazon.
>>
I don't get how extremely overpriced stores stay in business in this day and age.
I mean, everyone has cell phones, wtf.
I remember when smart phones were first becoming a thing, a comic store near me used to have a "no cell phones" rule so that people wouldn't price stuff in store and see how much they were being ripped off. That ended quickly though as many lulz and confused customer grimaces were had at the expense of the stingy bastard who ran the place.
>>
>>3009017
>went to pawn shop
>42 dollars for a ps1
JUST
>>
File: 2eutx6r.png (214 KB, 412x600) Image search: [Google]
2eutx6r.png
214 KB, 412x600
>>3005441
I feel you.
The retro game stores I go to all sale sports games that are over priced. The games that are actually worth having are way the hell overpriced.
>>
>>3009236

Gamestores use the bins full of sports games to get you in.

You check their facebook or website and see bins and bins full of games and think they must have tons of varied games for sale.

Then you go and the entire bin of N64 is madden, and everything worth a damn is behind the glass. Then you leave and just browse ebay or CL for the rest of your life and forget these places exist.

Even for selling, literally anything else is a better option. The only reason to sell to a game store is if you were leaving the country and had absolutely no time to sell.
>>
>>3005441
>what is my incentive to go there?

There isn't any. Used game stores pretty much always match eBay prices, so they're reseller scum just as well.

Your only safe bet is to check local flea markets and garage sales. They're usually more fairly priced. Alternatively, just emulate like a lot of us already do.
>>
>>3009258
There's one store in Waco that actually has game cases with art work so you don't have to squint at every fucking thing that stacked on the back wall or the glass case.
>>
It's my final offer. I gotta make a profit here
>>
The retro store in my town kicks ass, and if I check goodwill every week or so I'm likely to come across something for far less than its worth. Landed Final Fight and DKC3 for like $6 together and if I wanted I could trade them in for profit/an expensive title, plus there are enough pawn shops near me that finding something good isn't an impossibility. Just earlier this week I found a model 1 genesis and a 3 button for $10. It really sucks that so many people in this hobby are money grubbing fucks
>>
Sucks to be you OP, my retro store is super nice and they even started learning some console repair, I'm pretty proud of them.

My favorite thing is getting a 2.99 PS2 game and they throw in another one of your choice for free. That's on top of a 10% discount on your whole order just for liking them on Normienook.

I was browsing through the NES games they had and the thought struck me that there's nothing to complain about (note, I don't have a NES or buy the carts).

I'm sorry you live in scalperresllerville OP but don't think bad of all retro stores please.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.