[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you tend to prefer retro games over newer games, and if so,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 17
File: 5144c66a766ba.jpg (83 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5144c66a766ba.jpg
83 KB, 640x480
Do you tend to prefer retro games over newer games, and if so, why?

I've been playing the first Tomb Raider for the first time (I was a Nintendo kid growing up so I missed out on the original Playstation), and while it definitely is on the clunky side, I feel it has a certain mystique that modern games don't have. This might be a bit of a stretch, but I find that the clunkiness of the controls actually adds to the experience, because scaling a large vertical room actually feels rewarding because the jumps are tricky to make. I find that modern games would eliminate all the challenge because the controls are much more streamlined.

What draws you to retro games over modern ones?
>>
>What draws you to retro games over modern ones?

The simple non long winded answer is modern games as a whole are garbage. They're filled with dumb down games play. You also have all the horrible DLC, online paywalls, etc.

I also grew up with retro games in the 90s so.
>>
>>2989031
I get what you're saying. Struggling with controls isn't good game design though. It feels like a barrier that you just adjust to. It's definitely satisfying though when swimming through shit stops smelling so much
>>
>>2989031
>I feel it has a certain mystique that modern games don't have.
Well for starters, it isn't a cinematic AAA linear interactive movie that you stop and play for five minuets before handing the control back over to the game, while having your hand held through any 'exploration' segments and any sense of danger/control stripped away during quick-timer events.

It's the antithesis of modern AAA game design, or rather, the thing it's already become.

But it sucks and deserves to die a horrible death because of Tank Controls™
>>
>>2989061
>cinematic AAA linear interactive movie

Easily the worst aspect of modern game design.

I think on average, I like retro games better. So many of them have a pick up and play design, I'm more likely to like it, as opposed to modern games which are very hit and miss. I do have a long list of modern favorites though, so I can't say that I dislike modern games completely - just AAA games and casual Facebok/phone games.

It's a bit weird to think how all the kids I knew growing up played games like Pokemon and Zelda, franchises that I would consider to be quality franchises, but now everyone I know only plays phone games and F2P browser games, unless they're pretty hardcore into gaming.
>>
File: 7680.jpg (66 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
7680.jpg
66 KB, 500x750
>>2989031
This thread again, OP?
>>
We play retro 2D games because the genre was so refined then, not like now.

We play retro 3D games because the genre was so unrefined then, not like now.
>>
>>2989061
>But it sucks and deserves to die a horrible death because of Tank Controls™

Tomb Raider isn't Mario 64, it's a slow paced, well, tomb raiding game. Tank controls are perfectly fine for it.
>>

Superior gameplay, and while the graphics are inferior in terms of technology, I feel many old games often have superior art direction.

On the Subject of Tomb Raider, if you're anything like me you'll hate 2 and 3. They're both full of retarded, awful hitscan combat and modern urban environments. that aren't anywhere near as interesting as the caves and temples of the first game.
>>
>the clunkiness of the controls actually adds to the experience
I bet Resident Evil and Parasite Eve II will be right up your alley, OP.

I don't care for tank controls, but like >>2989347 said, they fit with the game's pacing.

>I find that modern games would eliminate all the challenge because the controls are much more streamlined
Actually, jumps are a lot more difficult to make in more recent TR games because the environments are no longer grid-based. Jumps in the retro TR games are easy to align as long as you use the walk button to place yourself at the edge of whatever platform you're jumping from. Try playing TR Anniversary and you'll see the difference right away.

>>2989031
There's actual gameplay, not 60+ hours of cinematics and QTEs.

On the other hand, PS1 RPGs did get a little ridiculous with all the FMVs every few minutes in.
>>
>>2989031
Tomb Raider 1 is best PS1 Tomb Raider
>>
>>2989378
>On the Subject of Tomb Raider, if you're anything like me you'll hate 2 and 3.

TR2 is my favorite game in the series. It took everything I loved about the first game, minus the Egyptian environments, and improved upon the formula substantially.

>modern urban environments

TR2 is about half and half on the distribution of urban environments, temples and wilderness areas. I nonetheless enjoyed the urban sections.

>that aren't anywhere near as interesting as the caves and temples of the first game

TR1's Egyptian levels were probably the most satisfying stages in the series, but TR2's underwater areas had some incredibly rich atmosphere all their own, especially Wreck of the Maria Doria.

>TR3

I didn't care so much for this game, although that's due mostly to the overuse of lighting effects to make so many areas pitch-black. I ran out of flares before I could finish the first level.
>>
Tomb Raider is simply that good OP.
>>
Controls might be a bit clunky, but they're precise. You always know how long you have to press forward until you reach an edge.
>>
I like the aesthetics much more in good retro games. Even the games that tried to be realistic failed at that, but created this lovely uncanny valley environment, where you're usually lonely and vulnerable.
>>
>>2989031
>Do you tend to prefer retro games over newer games
It depends, some genres, like STGs are basically dead now so it's not even a question of preferring something, I am forced to play retro games.
In other cases I tend to prefer retro games, retro puzzle games are a blast compared to today's smartphone garbage.
I play retro games mainly because I feel at home with them, it's just a sinking feeling of comfiness that modern games rarely have for me, then I also play them out of curiosity, sometime you find really crazy progressive stuff, sometime you find utter garbage, much like today.

If anything, games used to be more daring for some things back then, there was more genre blending and experimental games, nowadays games usually fall into strict categories and rarely bring something new to the table other than polishing certain stuff and having fancier graphics, which isn't bad mind you, but it can get tiring.
>>
>>2989031
I agree with you OP. However, when I first bought tomb raider all them years ago I took it back to the shop because I found it slow and boring. I learned to appreciate it over time though and ended up buying 2 and 4 when they were cheap. In some ways retro games were better (like pacing, direction, difficulty), but now they are more accessible and slick. I'm a pragmatist about these things so just collect the best of what is available.
>>
>>2992664
Me too. :D
>>
>>2989031
Old games have a certain atmosphere. The faceless NPCs in King's Field, pre-rendered backgrounds in Resident Evil, fog and short draw distance in Silent Hill, the claymation graphics of Diablo 1.

Few games like Demons/Dark Souls and Metroid Prime get atmosphere right and transfer you to another world nowadays. And while I can have fun with CoD, I always know that it's a watered down experience and Quake still does everything better.
>>
I was never a fan of the original Tomb Raider games really, but the 2013 reboot and the 2016 follow-up are actually awesome.
>>
>>2992675
You quite literally read half a sentence
>>
>>2992698
>literally
Really on the wrong board.
>>
>>2992682
The reboot is a QTE-fest (which as far as I'm concerned is an automatic -2 penalty to review scores when I'm reviewing things. QTE bosses are -4). The only thing it did right was making the movement controls a bit more fluid so it was less about cinematic-platformer positioning and more observation.

Literally the only thing it did right. Tomb Raider deliberately had a low enemy count throughout the series, while TR2013 is just a third-person shooter with better movement controls.
>>
>>2992703

It was hardly a "QTE-fest." QTEs replaced major cutscenes and were used as boss finishers, but all the action from the original game was still there. Even with (added) QTE sequences, the boss fights were that much more elaborate than they were in the original.
>>
>>2992702

Oh, sorry on his behalf, he obviously meant it figuratively.
>>
>>2992707
It's a qte fest
>>2992708
Not the one using /v/ memes.
>>
>>2989031
New games are fine. New consoles are a huge fucking disappointment. I own a PS1, GBA with GBA and retro GB/GBC games, a PS3, PSP, and PS4. I have several computers running retro and new PC games. Call of Duty is the boogeyman of the last several years of gaming, but I enjoy it, and think to be fair you should compare series that lasted in both eras.

Doom is awesome, Doom 3 is crap
THPS got better after 5th gen but latest one is a joke
Need for Speed also peaked during 6th gen but became crap later
Sonic 3D games sucked after Dreamcast
UT99 was best Unreal Tournament game
Half-life 1 was the best
Gran Turismo had 1 equally good game on each console
3D Mario games sucked after 64
Not sure what the best pokemon gen is, but first and latest both suck compared to 2nd/3rd gen
>>
>>2992703
>which as far as I'm concerned is an automatic -2 penalty to review scores when I'm reviewing things.

QTE can be done right though. Check Ryse: Son of Rome. It's basically Golden Axe: Roman QTE Edition with graphics that make Crysis look like a NES game. It's fun as fuck because you can get surrounded by 5-6 mooks from all directions and STILL take them on, as long as you have the reflexes to know when to hit and when to block. Best part is, if you play on hardest mode, you get no warnings on when to do anything, the game suddenly becomes God Hand difficult (which is a great thing).

Though the QTEs are mainly limited to getting more points for the gory as fuck finisher moves, and I think some boss counters.

People trash that game for being a qte-fest but that's exactly what makes it good.
>>
>>2989031
Lately, retro over newer. The main reason for which is pick-up-and-playability. I'm in grad school and busy as shit. I don't have time to really get engrossed in a slow and drawn-out game. I've been gravitating more towards arcadey games, and those tend to be older games, with some exceptions.
>>
>>2989031

There's a lot of reasons but I guess one of the main one would be how older games actually let me experience what I'm going through. Modern games have this really nasty habit of trying to give you an epic(not in the shitposting sense) experience by having heavily scripted events where your character animation does most of the work while you just hold forward or shoot a few guys. Older games largely through technical limitations rarely ever do that and instead have my experience be done through well crafted level design meshing with the gameplay mechanics. When something is supposed to feel like a grand thing it actually feels like a grand thing because I accomplished it myself instead of the game mostly doing it for me.
>>
>>2992729
>Sonic 3D games sucked after Dreamcast

The Dreamcast ones weren't all that great either.
>>
>>2992737
>QTE can be done right though
No. At best it's minor annoyance.
>>
>>2989031
Nothing in particular, there are just more old games that I like than new ones.
>>
>Do you tend to prefer retro games over newer games, and if so, why?
The only thing modern games have going for themselves is better graphics
>>
>>2992713
You autistic little shit stop trying to get rid of people who are engaging in actual discussion
>>
>>2989031
The controls of these games are hard but when you master it, is fucking satisfying!

I am playing tomb raider chronicles again and I love the submarine level so much
>>
>>2992707
Fuck your cut-scenes. Implement them in the engine of the game itself. I want to press the jump, shoot, roll, and grab buttons to get out of a nasty situation, not random bullshit on-screen.
>>
>>2992825
And physics engines, better music quantity/quality, better draw distances, better online play on all major platforms, a major lack of tech limitations/reliance on hacks, native support for higher resolutions, better interfaces and controls, sizable modding communities, easier ways for players to discuss...
>>
>>2989031
This is pretty much covered by what John Dewey says about human conduct and conscious. People grossly overstate the role of conscious as a modus operandi in everyday life. Instead most of the things we do are routines and habits. Conscious comes in when our routines are disturbed and we have to find a solution to a problem or hurdle that came up. In essence, experience stems from disappointed expectations. Something does not work the way you expected and turns a blocked routine in an conscious act of problem solving.

This is also what Adorno states in the Minima Moralia when he says that things becoming too functional deprives us of a certain sense of experience.

Aside from that convergence in industry standards is a factor. In older games it is sometimes more unclear how a situation will be resolved since there where not as many universally used game mechanisms (e.g. certain duck&cover systems have become very widespread, or certain inventory designs).
>>
>>2989031
Old games are cool and fun in spite of things like clunky controls and quaint visuals, not because of them.

As for the appeal of old games besides things like nostalgia, for me it's the great variety. Back then more companies seemed to take risks and made new and exciting things. I can't think of any modern or even retro game that plays like Hybrid Heaven for example. There are still lots of great modern games that do cool new things and refine familiar formulas in fun unexpected ways, but the dominant trend in recent years seems to be vague dialogue options with "consequences" and crafting systems because now things are made for people who just want to feel like they're in an episode of Walking Dead or something.
>>
It might just be me growing old, but games seemed simpler, while still being as entertaining as they are now.
I don't want hyper-realism or 100.000+ items or 300 moves to learn. What gets me turned off in a lot of modern games is the grand scale, and having to 'learn' them first.
>>
The difference is that modern games don't have "Streamlines" controls, they just have controls that play the fucking thing for you.

We reached the limits of how a human can actually interact with a machine and at some point, somebody decided to solve the problem by simply removing the need for control entirely.

I think you can probably trace it back to the first Assassin's Creed. You get to do all the acrobatics and climbing of a Tomb Raider game, but you don't have to put any effort into doing so. Scaling a tower would have been hours of ball-breaking tension in an old Tomb Raider game, but in Assassin's Creed, it's simply "hold RT to become a parkour master".
>>
>>2989083
>Easily the worst aspect of modern game design.
Only if you're playing shit games. Play a good game instead. I recommend Dragon's Dogma.
>>
>>2992703
The QTEs of the reboot are
1) very predictable
2) always the same button for the same kind of action
3) slow as in plenty of time to react
As a resut it hardly felt like they were QTEs at all to the point where they were actually pointless. Calling it "a fest" of QTEs is also blatantly wrong, unless those "grab the ledge quick" -situations trigger you hard. You're also saying the enemy count is high? What the hell, it's much much much lower than any other TPS-y game. This is especially the case in RotTR.
>>
I usually prefer retro games, though lately, some modern games have been making waves and holding my interest.

The main reason I like retro games so much is that they feel like they're much more willing to experiment and dream big. The envelope was always being pushed and something ambitious was always taking place. Even within a genre, you had games wildly different from each other with tons of games having mechanics that either weren't explored in the future or wound up at an obsolete dead end.

The biggest problem with games being released today is that they simply want to take what we already have and refine it rather than create something new. We have yearly sequels coming out that offer very few additions or improvements to a games' mechanics, and most big name games being released fit nice in square in a specific category. Indie games are the only ones seeking to try something new or ambitious, and they're usually hampered by lack of talent, very small staff sizes, and/or no budget to realize their visions. Games now aim for small, tight packages with gameplay having a pinpoint focus rather than bringing a large, varied world and gameplay to the player.
>>
>>2994708
Mirror's Edge did the whole climbing controls pretty well, which is probably a good thing for it considering it was the entire point of the game. Yeah, there's a lot of actions to preform to scale a wall, but I'd rather have to go through complex action to play a game than simply hit a button and be done.
>>
One reason is they're just a lot easier to set up and start playing. Otherwise you spend hours downloading, then just when you think you can play it says you need another patch. Why bother spending all those hours downloading and installing and trying to make it work right so on, that you might not like at all, when you can often have a retro game running in two minutes depending on the game? Backing up save states extremely easy on emulators also. I don't give a shit about the "technology" or realism behind the graphics so long as they look good (N64 games - tend to look great to me).

Also then as others commented you often need to "study for" the game. And it's rarely interesting, often like learning lists of random numbers to beat your opponent.
>>
>>2992675
thank god we have nickpicking retards like you to derail threads for the good cause.
>>
>>2995518
QTEs are bad.

End of story.
>>
>>2989345
>We play retro 2D games because the genre was so refined them, not like now
I dunno but i played Ori and the blind forest and i think it's really great refresh and is a really great modern platformer.
>>
>>2992963
I love how people say shit like: "I play only retro games, the new games are only graphics and shit" don't get me wrong, i love the old tomb raider the clasic medal of honor and of course other classics like Quake, Unreal tournament, i really love those games, but i sure am not blinded by the false believe that modern games are going to shit.
>>
>>2994708
Yeah, but still the first AC is not bad, you can't compare it to tomb raider, it's like comparing Classic Porsche to Smart. But not all games are how you described, come on people are you playing only shitty games? Or are you just looking for things to complain about.
>>
>>2997285
not when they are done correctly. Just like jumpscares in horror movies you must not overdoit.
>>
In my opinion, one of the nicest things retro games tend to have over modern games is that gameplay mechanics tend to be represented in a clearer and simple way.
>>
Some games nowadays follows the "press one button, see cool shit happening on the screen" formula. I almost puked watching a new Doom webm showing a killing streak, it's pathetic seeing the game playing by itself.
>>
>>2997381
A false believing? Not all modern games are shit but I can't count the times I've been "playing" a modern game and wishing for the cinematics to end so I can have 15 minutes of dumbed down gameplay, just to return to cinemativs after them.

The most annoying thing in modern gaming for me is that there's no sense of danger, for me is REALLY hard to die, so I find myself yawning while the protagonists do cool stuff with me just pressing a button.
>>
>>2997548
>>2997473
>>2997381
I can't think of a single AAA modern game that plays close to a retro game.

They all have tutorial levels.
Most have qte.
Impossible to die and/or lose.

QTEs are bad game design. Throwing them here and there is really just filler more than anything. Relying on them which most games do now is really bad. I don't know what happened to reacting to boss ques. Nope just wait for the big button on the screen.
>>
>>2989031
As I've grown older I've been finding it increasingly hard to put 100s of hours into a game. Previous generations had much more of an arcadey "pick up for an hour and play" attitude to them compared to the massive amount of open world giants, wprgs, online multiplayer shooters and cinematic games.

Playing any major game is a huge time investment and I honestly don't have that time anymore.
>>
>>2997285
Used correctly and they can be good. Everything new isn't automatically bad because it's new.
>>
>>2997615
"AAA" games are garbage. There are still good games coming out of indies, some mid-sized developers and Japanese developers, etc. you just have to look slightly harder now though. For a lot of gaming history, popularity coincided with quality, but that's no longer the case.
>>
>>2997931
>For a lot of gaming history, popularity coincided with quality, but that's no longer the case.
Well at least you admit to that instead of the other people saying modern games are still good despite having to stick to fringes.
>>
File: rayman01.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
rayman01.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
>>2997615
Fighting games, shmups, arcadey platformers are still coming out.
On one hand the extra lives, continues and game over design is out, on the other speedruns are more popular than ever which are essentially really rushed arcade mode anyway.
>>
Plus, when they DO release an arcadey like romp no one gives a shit and it ends up selling poorly anyway. I think retro gamers are all talk.
>>
>>2997953
Nintendo games are about all I play modern wise on consoles. Not saying they play like retro games but for the most part they aren't loaded up with DLC and QTEs.
>>
>>2997969
Shit like that is shit.
I've yet to actually see a modern arcade game get made. I don't mean some game that is loosely based on some arcade game with terrible sprite work.

Besides the modern gamer just wants CoD and CoD clones.
>>
>>2997953
>On one hand the extra lives, continues and game over design is out

That honestly kills a lot of modern platformers for me. I just can't get motivated to try my best when I know in the back of my head I'll instantly respawn with the only consequence being I lost like five seconds of progress. One of my favorite feelings is beating a game with only one life left while on the verge of death.
>>
File: ghostbladecover1.jpg (517 KB, 941x1038) Image search: [Google]
ghostbladecover1.jpg
517 KB, 941x1038
>>2997981
That's what I'm talking about. Shovelnight Hardcore mode is pretty close to Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden in difficulty but that's probably shit to you for some reason. Crimzom Clover came out not long ago and it's a port of a legit arcade cabinet in japan. Old style games are still getting made but you will find some nitpick to hate about them. There are a bunch of fighters out there, not only designing them is extremely difficult it seems like their popularity is completely dependent on the characters rather than the game.
From a business perspective catering to the hardcore is a big fucking mistake.
>>
>>2998017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHD9wiCfWk
>>
>>2998003
> One of my favorite feelings is beating a game with only one life left while on the verge of death.
That's pretty much what a speedrun is. They are super popular now.
>>
File: 2014-10-11_00002.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-11_00002.jpg
182 KB, 1920x1080
>>2989031
It's the darkness and sense of scale. Also, good level design.
Thought once that it was exclusive to older graphics, but pic related made me realize that it could be done in modern gaming as well.
>>
>>2998017
Nitpick? Sorry what is wrong with wanting good sprite work?
>>
To be honest I wouldn't consider myself a retro gamer. I prefer retro style games, but I play many modern games as well. My preferred genres are STGs and platformers... so... I don't really have a lot of options. I'm a PC gamer that doesn't even have a graphics card(by choice, not because I can't afford one); that should give you a decent idea of what my gaming situation is like.

>>2998027
> One of my favorite feelings is beating a game with only one life left while on the verge of death.
>That's pretty much what a speedrun is

Not him, but, uh... no? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that they have in common is intensity. But it's a different kind of intensity, one that does not appeal to me. Beating a game quickly brings me no joy.
>>
>>2998059
Nothing. A nitpick is not an invalid criticism, it's a criticism concerning something very minor. Spritework is really no big deal, and that game's is really not that bad.
>>
>>2998059
We must agree to disagree then, volgarr looks alright to me. You're just too used to aggressive CRT post processing filters. Anyway let's just go back to our old videogames and let the new generation worry about the future.
>>
>>2998067
I play shmups and I think limiting your credits is a newb mistake. Just keep improving and striving for that 1 credit clear, you don't have to reset everytime you die.
>>
>>2998074
>>2998076
I look at games like Metal Slug and then I look at what people consider good sprite work in these 2d games I really wonder if they're on the same planet as me or some how grew up in a bubble.
>>
>>2998085
I know it`s hard to believe but Metal Slug used to be considered an AAA title done by a team of professional artists with dozens of years of experience. Reminder that the metal slug guys worked on R-Type 1 for Irem before moving to SNK. I think Volgarr looks way better than shit like the genesis port of Altered Beast so take that as you will you. And if you love CRTs so much just play the dreamcast version.
>>
>>2989061
This is how I also feel.
>>
>>2998094
What does good sprite work have to do with CRTs? Also Metal Slug isn't exactly AAA but I get your point. I don't think the means beautiful sprites are an impossibility now.
>>
>>2998085
Also, when metal slug 6 and XX came out it got bashed by the hardcore scene for reusing sprites and using pre-rendered backgrounds. Most of you were GLAD the series died after XX.

You elitist children just don't have any business or financial sense.
>>
Really I've seen metal slug fags bash the graphics on 3 and prefer 1 or X because they used too many sci fi designs or something like that. You don't realize that YOU are the main reason why these games died in the first place.
>>
>>2995190
You should read her post before mouthing of.... oh wait you like THAT game lmao.
>>
>>2998103
You're talking about an extreme there man. Not everybody is going to completely shit on a game for reusing sprites. Within reason of course.
>>
>>2998094
I get your point, but what this anon said >>2998094 .
Most people trying to make older-style games are usually smaller teams, if not one person. They'd never be able to release anything if they had to meet those standards.
>>
>>2998109
Grow up retard. Your hipster indie games are fucking ugly. That's the fact of the matter.

I enjoy most the Metal Slug series and I think they all look very nice. Even when SNK left.
>>
>>2998119
No, anon, you are the hipsters killing the very thing you love.
>>
>>2998114
what's wrong with dragon's dogma?
>>
>>2998120
By buying and enjoying retro games I'm destroying them.
Oh tell me more wonderful hipster man. Let me guess is a steam sale on right now for your new indie shit game that I should buy?
>>
>>2998109
I've never seen anyone bash the spirtework of Metal Slug 3. The series died through a combination of most gamers moving onto 3D games and Playmore making incredibly half assed sequels. It had nothing to do with fans shitting all over the spritework.
>>
File: Shatterhand (U).png (4 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Shatterhand (U).png
4 KB, 256x240
While we could argue all day about whether older games are objectively better than the direction newer games have gone, and I'd agree with that, I think one of the reasons I keep going back to retro games is the simplicity of it.

For me at least, growing up, getting a job, etc. cuts into my free time; so when I do get to sit down and play a game, I don't want to have to invest 40 hours into the game. At the rate I play games, it'd take me months to finish a game and I'd get turned off by it. A lot of older games are short and sweet. I can pick a game and get right into it with minimal bullshit.

There's also the feeling of discovering a game you missed out on as a kid, finally getting around to it, and realizing how fucking awesome it is. Pic related for me. For the first time in a while I had realized how fucking amazing video games could be.
>>
>>2998125
No, you're destroying old arcade style games by bashing every single new one that comes out because of nitpicks like "these sprites don't look good enough".
>>
>>2998126
Maybe not hate but I've seen hardcore fans that disliked 3 since you spent most of that game fighting monsters instead of soldiers and tanks.
>>
>>2998132
So I should force myself to play shitty looking and shitty playing indie games and by doing that I'll save video games.

Man that is some logic. Really next level stuff there.
>>
>>2998138
>shitty looking
debatable
>shitty playing
dude, volgarr plays so much better than the 80s fantasy tripe that inspired it like altered beast and rastan
>>
>>2998137
I'm sure it's more of a pacing issue since those monsters and aliens took forever to kill compared to soldiers and tanks. Doesn't help that the final level lasts an eternity making a 1CC run damn near impossible.
>>
>>2998142
And that garbage even comes with achievements! Oh boy just like the real arcade.
>>
>>2998151
Can't you just ignore them? You see, you've made another easily deflectable nitpick.
>>
File: 1431838517053.jpg (87 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1431838517053.jpg
87 KB, 600x800
>>2998142
You better not be implying that Black Tiger was shit.
>>
>>2998138
You're bashing a game because you don't like the spritework and calling people hipsters because they're willing to look past that.

Say it with me. "Graphics don't make..."
>>
>>2998163
Oh boy a reminder that I'm playing modern trash just flashed on my screen. Yay! Off to the next fill shit achievement.

Seriously fuck achievements.
>>
File: babby.jpg (5 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
5 KB, 259x195
OH NO I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME BECAUSE A STEAM NOTICE WILL POP UP ONCE IN A WHILE. IMMERSION BROKEN, I DON'T FEEL LIKE A JAPANESE SCHOOLBOY ON AN ARCADE ANYMORE, WOE IS ME
>>
>>2998170
What in the ever loving FUCK is wrong with achievements? You can turn the little pop up bubble off.
>>
>>2998171

Who are you quoting, son?
>>
>>2998171
/v/ kid hipster defending his hard earned achievements. Better watch out!
>>
>>2998171
Holy shit man calm down. Volgarr is good but it's not good enough to have a mental breakdown over just because some guy doesn't like the grpahics.
>>
There are some games that were better as retro but there are also many that are better the newer they become. God of War for example.

However, I prefer retro because retro games are just about vibrant colors and fun gameplay. Games these days are about DLC, online content, and achievements. Also, sometimes they stuff so much crap into new games just to make them longer, and it becomes somewhat of a chore.
>>
>>2998176
I didn't even greentext you stupid weabo bitch

Friendly reminder that if you hated achievements that much you can just play the Dreamcast port.
>>
>>2998190
Why do you even care so much at this point? He's clearly dead set on never playing the game and throwing a fit won't help change his mind. Swear it's like your life depends on whether this one stranger you will never hear from again after this thread 404s plays Volgarr or not.
>>
>>2998171
WHOS KID DIS IS
>>
>>2989061
i actually dont get why people complain about tank controls the best horror games use them and the controls make it suspenseful to make the right move during a conflict in the game
>>
>>2989049
this for me as well

modern games often look fantastic ...and that's about it

I was born in 88 and I think 1997-2000 were the best years for games. Fite me.
>>
Only things that sucks is that tomb raider 2 and 3 have a couple of small bugs on PC. Tomb raider 2 has the soundtrack playing in parts it shouldn't (For example in the first level, when you're about to take the zipline across the chasm to reach the end of the level, you'll still be hearing the wind howling in the background. That should have stopped once you enter the building that you open with the key you find underwater.

Tomb raider 3, won't be playing the correct ambience track after you reload a save.
>>
To put it very basically it feels like modern games have sacrificed engaging gameplay for better looks. This is probably why RPGs and in particular JRPGs haven't lost their core base cause the gameplay didnt need to change as much, relatively
>>
>>2998610
I think a lot of modern games have more interesting gameplay than older games. Just look at Monster Hunter or Etrian Odyssey. But the difference now is that hardcore players used to be the main target for game developers. Now that there are many other kinds of gamers the games have gotten diverse to reflect that. Now there are still hardcore games, but there are also a lot of casual or more simple games as well.
>>
>>3000235
Excluding a tutorial level instantly makes a new game "clunky", unforgiving, and artificial difficulty.
>>
>>3000353
Only to a few people who really don't matter. If some kid thinks they're clunky and doesn't want to play them, that's no skin off my back. I probably don't like playing the same games as him anyways.

The games I mentioned Etrian Odyssey and Monster Hunter barely have tutorials. EO is infamous for throwing you right into the deep end. But that said, I don't see anything intrinsically bad about tutorials.
>>
>>3000384
Most modern games I play have a tutorial that's 20+ mins. That's when it's horrible.
The one Hero of the Storm I think takes over an hour if you want to finish it.
>>
>>3000384
etrian first quest is always a cartography mission that's unskippable and required to progress
but yeah you're correct
>>
>>2989964
This. There're a ton of reasons why I prefer retro over modern, but one of them is the otherworldly feel that early 3d graphics have. I hate all the lens flare and washed-out "realistic" look that so many games have today. I don't wanna feel like I'm watching a movie, I want to feel like I'm in a different world.
>>
File: vallenneth1.png (172 KB, 350x401) Image search: [Google]
vallenneth1.png
172 KB, 350x401
>>2989031
Steam, uPlay and other cuck DRM systems + force updates + constant online DRM systems are pure cancer. I dont want to be part of this.
The idea of buying a game and just playing it like it was some years ago seems to be better than nowadays cuckolding to DRM mafia.

I like the indie game scene these days though, some real creative stuff there.

With games it is the same as with music, the best is propably already out there.
>>
>>3000684
>Except for the part where the DRM mafia made games dirt cheap.
>>
>>3000684
Personally I like that I an buy a game and just have it linked to my account. It used to be when I went to a friend's house to play I had to bring either the game or memory card, sometimes even the system.

Now I go over, log into my account and download what I'm playing complete with my save.

DRM sucks, but gamers as a whole were really shitty about piracy for a long time. If I were a game developer I would feel forced into DRM as well if I wanted to actually sell a decent amount of copies.

Many games are multiplayer now as well which is partly why updates are often forced. It's not perfect, but a price I'm willing to pay.
>>
>>3000757
There is zero evidence of piracy effecting AAA game sales in any meaningful way.

The games linked to an account doesn't offer convenience when it doesn't work offline. Also a privacy issue.
>>
>>3000757
Wait until they decide to shut servers down for some games and you can't play them anymore.
Nintendo never had much piracy problems because of innovative copy protection systems, without force online/updates.
Like cartridges with individual hardware chips for the games that make the game very hard to copy (back in the day) or mini DVDs that read outside to inside. Yes this may limit the game boundries but you dont receive Steams big black cock inside your rectum.
>>
File: Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg (118 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg
118 KB, 1024x768
>>3000768
>There is zero evidence of piracy effecting AAA game sales in any meaningful way.

This is incredibly disingenuous. Unless you're very young you will be well aware how rampant piracy was, especially in the 00's. It nearly destroyed the PSP.

I don't think the current situation is perfect, I just understand it and don't have a huge problem with it. But then it's been almost 15 years since I had an unstable net connection.

>>3000789
>Wait until they decide to shut servers down for some games and you can't play them anymore.

That's already happened several times over.
>>
>>3000768
1) Huge companies pouring millions of dollars into combating piracies is good evidence or at least "evidence". You can't call that "zero evidence".
2) Music and movie sales have been headed hugely downwards, same with newspapers.
3) It's just a common sense kind of thing, it doesn't need "evidence". You don't need "evidence" that a car with faulty brakes is more likely to crash, it's just kind of obvious.
>>
>>3000807
>This is incredibly disingenuous. Unless you're very young you will be well aware how rampant piracy was, especially in the 00's. It nearly destroyed the PSP.
Source ~ your ass
>>3000832
>1) Huge companies pouring millions of dollars into combating piracies is good evidence or at least "evidence". You can't call that "zero evidence".
By that logic Santa is real.
>>
>>3000871
source is anyone who owned a ps1 and dreamcast
>>
>>3000874
>dreamcast died because of piracy

this bullshit again
>>
>>3000874
Source? Oh your ass again.
>>
>>3000871
>Source ~ your ass
Are you truly, honestly trying to say piracy had no negative impact? Are you a little kid? I can't imagine anyone who was conscious through the last two decades not noticing how wide spread and common video game piracy is.

Or are you one of the people who tries to say piracy never mattered because lolololo you were never going to buy in the first place?

Either way, as someone who actually pays for my games I don't find the DRM these days really all that much of a hassle. More to the point I fully understand why the situation came about the way it has. It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near enough to turn me off of gaming.
>>
>>3000891
I didn't say that but I surely remember downloading games split in a million parts of 5mb through 56k in 2002.
>>
>>3000908
>Are you truly, honestly trying to say piracy had no negative impact?
You're autistic I see. Because that is not what I typed. Take your pills.

Not arguing absolutes.
>>
>>3000807
>>3000832
>>3000871
>>3000874

I don't know why people are so resistant to the idea that piracy has an economic impact. As another anon pointed out, the millions of dollar spent combating it is not just a political thing of "hey, you're not allowed to have my product without paying for it!" It must be (or at least assumed to be) profitable to reduce piracy.

You can pirate things and know that it may be negatively effecting the people involved in bringing that media to you. You don't have to justify everything to make you morally correct. (Perhaps you'll decide to support some projects with that knowledge though which is cool and helpful).

Here's PR Head of GOG talking about piracy and steam: “Actually, I’d argue our closest digital competitor is piracy. And they’re even bigger than Steam."

Source: http://fraghero.com/gog-com-steam-isnt-our-biggest-competitor-piracy-is/

Personally, I pirate some games, but not indie games because I know firsthand how much work goes into that and much of your payment goes to the creator. I buy all my music besides the occasional major label record. A little cognitive dissonance is ok.
>>
>>3000895
Source is the genesis emulator developer himself leaving a message to cracking groups
https://tcrf.net/Sega_Smash_Pack_Volume_1_%28Dreamcast%29
>>
>>2998130
>when I do get to sit down and play a game, I don't want to have to invest 40 hours into the game.

This. I just want to play the game for an hour or two, which is exactly what I did as a kid. Good games were interesting and challenging on the first level, then they took the gameplay to its furthest conclusions. No need to endless RPG shit. I do love some game stories and cutscenes if the characters are good. A lot of times the games will have a 15 minute intro cinematic, and I just won't get far into the game after that, cause I'm already bored.
>>
>>3000945
http://howlongtobeat.com/ A lot of times I will go here to see if a game is worth buying. I'm going to play a game rated less than an 8.5 that plays for 100 hours.
>>
>>3000925
>There is zero evidence of piracy effecting AAA game sales in any meaningful way.
>Not arguing absolutes.

Sure, buddy.
>>
>>3000924
You must be a masochist.

Downloading Neo Geo roms was bad enough for me.
>>
>>3000927
>>3000930
Subjective quotes and attempting to list those two as some kind of authority on the matter. Nice source again.

Should note that Dreamcast had more software sales in it's 2 years then Xbox One did. Oh but you wont mention that because "Dem evil pireates please rape my ass with DRM".

Ya fuck hard facts. Na, How about another? Splatoon isn't getting effected by piracy in the least and is the top selling game in Japan. One of Nintendo's biggest IPs.
>>
>>3000952
You really may be autistic if you think " in any meaningful way." is an absolute. I'm serious. Go get your brain checked or something before you hurt yourself or someone else.
>>
File: 2rfves2.png (319 KB, 641x482) Image search: [Google]
2rfves2.png
319 KB, 641x482
>>3000967
Whatever, man, let's just say I was actually there when it happened. Games were being leaked before they hit the stores.
>>
>>3000967
Wait, why did you bring up splatoon? It's an online WiiU game, of course you can't pirate that.
>>
>>3000989
I'm not young or from /v/ for one.

Some retards pirating a few games doesn't impact the sales of a game all that much. Unless of course you'd like to provide a source for those claims? Something like exactly how many sales were lost to pirating. And how they came to that number.

But I'm sure you'll tell me how you were burning PS2 games in 94 while downloading and hacking windows keys through irc.
>>
>>3000967
OBVIOUSLY you can't pirate a server based game.
>>
>>3000996
It's the newest huge selling game that came to mind.

Wii U has an emulator. No idea what state it's in.
>>
>>3001001
How the fuck am I going to prove that? all I have are memories of seeing burned dreamcast cdrs for sale everywhere.
>>
>>3000996
>>3001008
How about Tropical Freeze then. Pretty much any 1st party game on Wii U for that matter.
>>
>>3001010
It's nowhere near playable. And it probably won't ever be since most of the content is only available online.
>>
>>3001014
I only saw burned CDs in the early 2000s once they became cheap. Prior to that I only knew one dude making them.

I'm not the one making the claim that pirating somehow cripples sales.
>>
>>3001017
You can't pirate wii u games. That emulator that gets posted barely runs the title screen at like 30fps.

Even on the Wii piracy took a while to get working and lots of people bricked their consoles through faulty updates. That was like 5 years ago, you can't possibly have missed that.
>>
>>3001021
That's when it all started, yeah, the dreamcast came out december '99.
>>
>>3001018
>>3001025
Not like the Wii U has intrusive DRM. Oh but fucking steam. Better have that shit always online or your're not playing that game. That always online will keep sales strong apparently.
>>
>>3000967
yeah... I think you have NO FUCKING CLUE WHATSOEVER WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
>>
>>3001032
Now ad hominem
>>
>>3001037
you're a shitbag
>>
>>3001038
Did you have a nice day anon?
>>
>>3001040
if I pull that mask off will you die?
>>
>>3001042
/tv/ really lives up to their title of most autistic board.
>>
>>3001048
for you
>>
File: gun_PNG1367.png (883 KB, 1371x852) Image search: [Google]
gun_PNG1367.png
883 KB, 1371x852
prefer retro

pic related. its all new games are about anymore
>>
in like both retro and modern games come at me bro
>>
File: 1450290278718.jpg (109 KB, 402x248) Image search: [Google]
1450290278718.jpg
109 KB, 402x248
>>3000598
The worst is when they have to teach you EVERYTHING instead of just some of the core mechanics. I sure fucking love being told the stick I just used to navigate the menus before even starting the game also moves my character and absolutely can not progress until I press the direction the game demands in order to demonstrate that yes the left stick does moves my character.
>>
>>2992757
I liked Shenmues QTEs. Otherwise I'd agree.
>>
File: 1453818119630.jpg (93 KB, 312x560) Image search: [Google]
1453818119630.jpg
93 KB, 312x560
>>2992737
>>
>>2989031
>Do you tend to prefer retro games over newer games, and if so, why?
Retro, they had less room to fill games with bullshit back then, also game creators were not people who grew up with games so their brains weren't obsessed with derivative stuff.
>>
>>3001131
Title for title there are far fewer games about just shooting stuff now than there was in 8 or 16 bit days.
>>
>>3001513
try getting your parents to play a modern game

then you'll realize why they do this shit
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.