[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about this hobby and “completionist” collectors?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: nintendo-quest-dkjm.jpg (904 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-quest-dkjm.jpg
904 KB, 1920x1080
What is it about this hobby and “completionist” collectors? Especially with Nintendo. I normally ignore 99% of the retro ecelebs on youtube, however one popped up in my youtube recommend the other day that just blew my mind. I had to read it twice because it was click bait. It was a metal jesus rocks video of a guy who had a complete Wii collection. I made it in a few mins up till the guy who had the collection said that only ¼ of it was shit. His other reasoning was basically “I have all the other Nintendo collections done I needed this one complete too!”.

I’ll fully admit I have games worth $100s that do nothing but sit there. I played them once and beat them. I want to keep them though. But to go out of your way and not only spend the money on absolute shit but also spend the time to track it down is beyond my understanding.

I personally think it hurts the hobby a lot. Soo much speculation and artificial price ceilings that this has created.
>>
>>2954089
There are some systems whose whole library doesn't amount to many games, making it reasonable to try to attain the complete set. For example I'm trying to complete a Dreamcast PAL set, which is only around 210-220 games. I have around 150 already, none of which are shovelware.
Now trying to make a complete PS1 or NES set is just unreasonable in any perspective.
>>
>>2954138
I don't know PAL DC games well but I doubt there's no trash. There were some really shit ports.

I don't think there's much speculation going on with that though.
>>
>>2954138
>complete PS1 or NES set is just unreasonable

There are multiple people who have complete NES sets. Complete licensed sets, at least. Not sure what things look like when you throw in unlicensed carts.

>>2954089
My perspective is, any sort of collecting is already a "I do it because I want to" thing, given that we can freely emulate all of those games. I only collect games that I have an interest in playing. I don't care about sealed games or having a complete collection for any system, but it would be hypocritical for me to judge those who do, since someone who emulates all their games (or uses a flashcart) could just turn around and say I'm equally irrational.
>>
>>2954089

I think it has to do with the hunt

>Friend spends years tracking down every single N64 release

>Finally succeeds

>Sells all of it

>Starts again for Dreamcast

I don't get it but I guess it must be fun or something
>>
>>2954159
I can get that but I'm under the assumption that most these completionist collectors are buying most their stuff online.
>>2954148
It gives a very odd image of retro collectors at the very least.
>>
>>2954165
Limiting yourself to in-person purchases, except for a few extremely rare titles, would be a good way to make it a fun hobby though. It's also a good excuse to travel. Go to another state for that one store with the game you need, and do some exploring while you're there.
>>
>>2954184
Doing that for a trash game I don't get. That seems pretty empty to me.
>>
>>2954138

>owning 200 video games for a single console

>thinks this is reasonable

is 90% of your social interaction on this board?
>>
>>2954089

It's the same as people who collect vinyl records or any other kind of medium. It's looked at as kind of like a treasure hunt. Just one that you have to pay a ton of money to hunt.
>>
>>2954089
I don't mind collectors of current and the just previous gen or even collectors that had been collecting within a consoles generation.
The problem lies in people who collect after the console is out of production, you're too fucking late just let the shit go so the people who are going to play and enjoy the game can have it.
I know we have flash carts and all that these days but I think if I person genuinely wants the title to play and cherish then they should have the option and not have it taken away because someone with a mental disorder
>>
Doesn't James Rolfe have a Near-Complete set of NES games at this point?
>>
>>2954412
Yeah, to be fair he does use a pot of them for research and the james and mike monday videos. He got a shitload of them sent to him by fans too, jf the youtube well ever runs dry be should be abke to make some good money selling off his collection.
>>
>>2954421
A complete NES set would maybe be worth $30-40k. Enough to keep someone afloat for a year, but not exactly a stable source of income.
>>
>>2954089

>’ll fully admit I have games worth $100s that do nothing but sit there.

to me that's just as crazy as the wii collection guy.
>>
My NES collection is complete, and by complete i mean i have all the games i want, and enjoy. Which is maybe about 60? I see no point in having to own EVERY game. Especially one that will never get touched or played ever. And more then half of the NES library is shit in my opinion.
>>
>>2954925
Words of wisdom.
>>
>>2954089
Why did you type this in Microsoft Word?
>>
I wouldn't be able to collect every game unless the library was extremely small like 32x or Virtual Boy. Even then VB has a couple of $1000 games if you want imports.

I'd rather collect every version of a game I like. Been wanting to start a Space Harrier collection that includes Japanese and European computer releases and the like.
>>
>>2954089

Who's that spunk monk on the left?
>>
>>2954089
Buying old video games still seems weird to me since the only people doing it in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 were the same impoverished Africans who were looking for things to steal in the comic/oldgoodstuff store.

All the NES games took up many many shelves and were all $2 max. Hell if I was going to behave like an impoverished African and buy into it. Might as well roast a goat on the 4th of July.
>>
>>2954412
>>2954421
>>2954434
Mike owns most of the rare stuff, acquired during the early years of AVGN in bulk for 25 cents + buy 2 get 1 free from places like Funco Land.
>>
>>2954925
>>2954927
How long will it take for the American collector "scene" to realize that there are Famicom exclusives that exceed a majority of US titles yet with no Japanese text?
>>
ITT Jealousy+++

I'm sorry, but who wouldn't want to have hundreds of childhood memories as wallpaper, all of which you can remove and enjoy whenever you feel like it, getting the originally intended experience of inserting them into your console?

If it doesn't appeal to you, then move on and shut up. What do you really gain from looking down on people like this?
>>
>>2955248

>who wouldn't want to have hundreds of childhood memories as wallpaper

What kind of person had hundreds of games as a kid?

>all of which you can remove and enjoy whenever you feel like it, getting the originally intended experience of inserting them into your console?

It's a lot easier and cheaper to just get a flashcart. You don't even have to get up to switch games.

>ITT Jealousy+++

You sound like a gigantic faggot. The majority of /vr/ cares more about actually playing games than collecting them, I seriously doubt that many people here are jealous.
>>
File: rippetoe come on.png (156 KB, 434x341) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe come on.png
156 KB, 434x341
>>2955213
>spends however much money on room-fulls of old video games
>plays all his shit through composite/RF on an HDTV

I don't expect every person who digs their NES out of the closet to do SCART cables, RGB mods, and professional monitors, but someone that fucking dedicated should at the very least be using an old sony trinitron CRT.

It's like spending 2000 dollars on the most retardedly over-the-top PC only to display video on a early-generation LCD from the 90s at 800x600 with severe ghosting problems.
>>
>>2955307
He's a Framemeisterdrone
>>
>>2955310
You don't like the framemeister? I have been thinking about getting one, what do you not like about it?
>>
>>2955310
That would be acceptable as well. But when I saw his video on how he hooks up all his consoles, I just saw a bunch of composite cables going through switchboxes and then directly into his HDTV. No scalers or RGB
>>
>>2955307
>someone's probably already "donated" him a PPU-equipped RGB via BNC modded Famicom
>it sits on a shelf
>>
>>2955318
I don't have one and do the CRT thing with the real sync rate determined by its own robust cable. Magnets do better real time scaling than digits.
>>
File: trump come on.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
trump come on.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>>2955324
>someone makes money off playing video games and already has a massive collection of them
>people send him more free games on top of all this anyway

This can partly be chalked up to me just being butthurt jelly, but goddamn do I WHY.jpeg when I see this shit.
>>
>>2955329
I really don't have the room for a crt, framemeister just seems easier
>>
Do whatever the fuck you want. I'm flashcart master race.

Besides, the collectors are the ones who find the insanely hard to find games and occasionally dump them.
>>
I think there are realistically 3 kinds of collectors who aim for a complete set.

>1. The genuine enthusiast

These are guys that just fucking love a system. Their interest in other games or consoles is probably fleeting, or minimal. They don't really tend to brag and getting the complete set may have just been a slow or natural progression of their love for the console. As I stated, these guys probably do it for one system, most likely NES, SNES, N64, or something a bit more obscure like the Neo-Geo (Neo-Geo guys are really into Neo-Geo). These guys are usually really cool and knowledgeable about everything on the console to some degree, although they may not have completed everything, they've no doubt at least played it once or twice. Examples: You won't hear about these guys online because they don't do it for the fame

>The Trophy hunter

These are the kind of guys who most likely had a system when they were a kid and got out of it, or got in at a later stage in life and could very well be doing it for hipster cred. They may have a waning interest in Video Games or been enthuasiastic about it at some point but these guys usually play very little if any video games. They are way more interested in the physical game itself as opposed to the ability to play the game. They are the kind of guy who tells you how they found Little Samson in the wild for 5 bucks over and over again (like a vegan). They may have played everything, but they probably spend more time hunting then playing, and it's almost all for bragging rights. Usually not a total cunt to deal with in terms of buying/selling but will always try and lowball, or undervalue your stuff in trades while grossly over valuing his stuff. Examples: Game chasers, Pat the NES Punk
>>
>>2955307
>>2955310
>>2955329
>>2955345
Please don't use that retard's setup as a standard of what a good modern set up should look like.

The people that actually use Micomsoft scalers think his setup is full retard too.
>>
>>2955719
>3. The "Collector" or "Hoarder/Speculator"

These guys most likely grew up in households where baseball cards, comics, and toys were collected and sold/traded as investments. They grew up with the mentality that these things have monetary value and picked video games most likely because they had some when they were growing up and found out they had some value later in life. These guys buy on speculation, and assumption that games will continue going up in value and view it purely as an investment. They will always low ball, and be genuinely cunty to deal with. They will absolutely buy up multiple copies of the same game to sell and fuel their habits. They may even operate a stall at a fleamarket or a store on eBay. They absolutely are just in it for the money and probably know very little about games, except for some key words like "Nintendo" "Mario" "Zelda" "Final Fantasy" and what games are popular/expensive. They rarely know anything about the games themselves, but know about their names, values, and other stupid useless trivia.
>>
There are reasons for getting a complete set.
I feel like if you're genuinely into games, and especially if you do gaming videos or other content creation (reviews on a website, etc) it may actually be beneficial for you to review entire libraries of games.

Obviously there is a lot of shit to sift through, but it would actually be really interesting to see a guy review every SNES game, or every Turbo-Grafix game.

I just don't think there really is anything like that right now. If someone actively tried to do that and made a channel or site I think it would be really good.

No, Pat's shitty fucking book isn't going to count. A single page or less as a "review" doesn't fucking count and I hope Pat and Ian both kill themselves.
>>
>>2955761
>it would actually be really interesting to see a guy review every SNES game, or every Turbo-Grafix game.

>I just don't think there really is anything like that right now

Called google.

Buying something just because of how shit it is is hilarious to me. Especially when it costs a lot of money.
>>
>>2954184
call them, have them mail it to you
>>
>>2955775
I'm talking about a site that has complete reviews of everything. I'm not talking about rabbit holing down to find someone I jive with's review of some garbage.
>>
>>2955829
It's been done minus really obscure jap games.
>>
>>2955835
link?
>>
>>2954142
That's not what his statement says, he says of the 150 that he personally owns none are shovelware.
>>
>>2955876
Trash ports are shovelware.
>>
>>2954148

>emufags
>having any merit

I kid, but it is a tad annoying that many of those people just don't understand the authentic feeling from using legitimate hardware. Emulating just isn't as fun.

During my heavy emulation days, I spent a large amount of time with settings. I still played games, sure, but I had fun trying to get games look their best or a certain way. Particularly with gamecube/dreamcast/Ps1/Ps2 games and less so with 16 bit games or 8 bit games, but as fun as that was it just doesn't beat original hardware for me.

This feeling for me intensified when I discovered RGB.
>>
>>2955159

>OP opens word document, thinks what to post
>After several months of revision, he finally created the perfect vr post
>why
>>
>>2955307
Probably just easier to record, recording crts is a bitch
>>
>>2955761
>I hope Pat and Ian both kill themselves.
Pat maybe be a cuck but he shouldn't die
Ian on the other hand seems like a junkie
>>
>>2954925
This made me smile. I hope you have fun with your NES every day, anon.
>>
The entire point if being a collector is amassing every possible item from the thing you're collecting. Whether it's shit or not is irrelevant.
>>
>>2956192
That's called a hoarder. Not a collector.
>>
>>2956053
The screen is irrelevant for recording though, unless you're filming the literal screen with a camera instead of using a capture card
>>
>>2956195
The line seems thin from here. Not trying to start shit or anything...but a collector can just as easily become a hoarder
>>
>Obviously there is a lot of shit to sift through, but it would actually be really interesting to see a guy review every SNES game, or every Turbo-Grafix game.

http://gamebygamepodcast.com

The 2600 and 5200 ones are in my regular rotation
>>
>>2955761
>>2956421
Forgot to link to the post
>>
File: 1375917073918.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1375917073918.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
Ctrl+F "OCD"
>0 of 0
baka.

OCD provides you with a feel of gratification when you complete something, you have to feel it to understand it. Imagine having a hard day of work where everything goes according to your plans and in the end you observe your accomplishment. That is the feeling, you just feel good seeing the results of your work, it may seem stupid to other people (it usually does), but you don't care, it makes YOU feel happy.
That doesn't make any less sense than day-to-day consumerism and acquiring of useless stuff (you really don't need that new phone, your old one was fine) most people do, it's just everyone has his own tastes.
>>
>tfw downloading right now a nes rom pack
>200MB
>tfw playing in my pc
>tfw 10MB internet (in taco land)
>tfw soon will have every console rom/iso packs
>tfw I don't give a shit about the true CRT autism
>tfw no autism
feels good to not be a retarded autist.

Still planing on buying a real collection of the final fantasy series (console+games) but I'm not gonna be a retard buying shitty games.
>>
I decided this year to try and finish an N64 collection, mostly because its one of the smaller collections that is possible to complete. And looking over the list of game the ratio of good games to bad is pretty good imho. I then sat down and put together a list og about 100 or so game for each of the other consoles that I want to own. I mostly intend to get stuff I had a as a kid or stuff I had heard of and wanted to play but never had the time/money/system for. Leaving some wiggle room for games or series that I think should be in a solid collection but maybe I wasn't into the first time around, or never gae it a fair shake. For instance, I've never been into the Twisted Metal series but I found a copy of the first one and Black for $1 each. That's pretty good to me.
To paraphrase my favorite robot
"I know now why you collect complete, and I know it is something I can never do."
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.