[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you never owned a pc-engine/Turbo Graphic 16 Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: PCengine.jpg (165 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
PCengine.jpg
165 KB, 800x600
>you never owned a pc-engine/Turbo Graphic 16

Don't think I ever knew anyone who owned one, let alone saw it for sale anywhere. Shame it never caught on
>>
>>2927205
One of the many systems overshadowed by the NES monolith, and later the dogfight between Nintendo and SEGA here in the US. I consider myself lucky I got to play with a Master System back when I was younger at my cousin's house. Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Double Dragon, California Games, Choplifter, lots of great games. Pretty much everyone I talked to before the internet days were completely confused whenever I mentioned it, and kept asking if I meant the Genesis.

Got a chance to play with the Philips CDi at a store display once. It had one of the Zelda games in it, and I decided to give it a go. It was horrible, and I thought it was some unofficial knock-off game.

Never even saw a Pippin, Jaguar, or 3DO outside of gaming magazines.
>>
>>2927229
I never even knew that Sega had mad a system prior to the mega-drive/genesis until years after they stopped making consoles

My school in 4th grade had a Philips CDi but only had the edutainment games that where basically just interactive encyclopedias. I thought it was pretty neat but didn't think I ha much potential for video games
>>
>>2927205
they had them at fred meyers near my house, never a playable display though, played one at a kids house once, thought the card games were weird, we played some platformer with a caveman?

>>2927229
there was an atari store in my neighborhood. begged my dad for a lynx so I could play a.p.b. at home. glad he got me a game gear instead.

>>2927269
my aunt has one that she wont give me. play rambo everytime i visit
>>
>>2927205
A year late
A controller short
A waste of space
A controller enhancement failed
A cartridge miniaturization not successfully milked on the portable front
>>
I still own the one I had as a kid. My stepmom worked for NEC at one of their offices here in GA, at her and dad's house we had a TG-16 and a Turbo Express (so much better than the Gameboy, although the TV tuner never worked), and basically every add-on, Turbo CD, multi-tap, controller extension cord, TurboStick. My first computer was an NEC laptop with Win98 on it.
>>
>>2927319
hey pnw whats up? I remember playing a turbo at Toys R Us and leaving my wallet on the counter like a dumbass 8 year old. I remember like it was yesterday. Played Bonk and it was like playing some magical system I was never meant to play, it was such a rare thing to me
>>
>>2927375
I think bonk was the game we played anon. yep AK here the most nw of the pnw.hell I dont even think we count. arctic coast life.
>>2927345
lucky, I had a hand me down nes.
>>
Honestly senpai, on my list of over rated stuff is pc engine. They look snug and the cards and controllers are cool but the games are so meh. There are some good ones but nothing mario rpg or shinobi 3 level. I dont think its better than gens, nes,snes or even neogeo... By a long shot. Cool system though but i just dont get the hype
>>
>>2927537
Ps i bought my t16 from radio shack in the mid 90s. I remember playing kieth courage and thinking it was shit (lol rainbows). I rented most games and the only cool ones i found were that tennis rpg and maybe a pinball game. Also that contra clone (wolf something?)
>>
>>2927541
It's understandable when you haven't played the PC Engine games.
>>
I want to emulate pc engine cd games on my wii but wiimednafen requires isos with ogg music files in them. Is there anywhere I can dl these?
>>
>>2928179
Just use Mednafen on PC
>>
>>2928180
no it has to be wii
>>
>>2928179
Just convert what you already have (MP3s? WAVs?) to ogg vorbis and call it a day.
>>
>>2927205
I saw one for sale for $75 a year or two ago. Wonder if that was a good deal
>>
>>2928320
You can get them for that on eBay, so not awful. but not a deal.
>>
>>2927205
>let alone saw it for sale anywhere.

they were sold in at every Toys R Us and KB Toy Store in the country
>>
It's amazing what the original TurboGrafx with CD setup would have cost. The CD unit was $400 ($770 adjusted for inflation) and the T16 was $200 ($385 with inflation) for a total of $600 in 1989. That's $1155 in today's money, and even at somewhat less than retail this thing was expensive.
>>
>>2928401
In all fairness, $200 back then was the standard price for consoles at launch. And while the original CD unit was pricy as fuck, that's because it was at the very beginning of the CD wave when all CD hardware was pricy as fuck. Less than a year after they brought the CD to market in the states, they brought out the TurboDuo, and that was only $300 on launch.

You want a laugh, check out the prices of the first 1X CD drives. I remember when a 4X CD drive cost $200.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.