[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a dirty-cheater thread? I recently unearthed my old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: file.png (320 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
file.png
320 KB, 480x360
Can we have a dirty-cheater thread? I recently unearthed my old Game Shark and am interested in what it can do, other than turning on and off cheats that are already on there. Any good tutorial material for the GSpro?
Other cheat devices/codes/memories welcome to give this thread some purpose.
>>
>>2914730
I never used a gameshark in my life. It always seemed unnatural to me. I also worried it would fuck up my games or system, or corrupt data / save files. I just played the games they were meant to be played.
>>
>>2914745
I think my first cheat device was a Genie for the Genesis, scrounged from some flea market as a child and packaged with one ratty book of codes. By the N64's time, I was really only interested in the GS for Goldeneye codes, which my friends and I spend countless hours fucking with. Never had any problems with my games or system, but I can understand the desire to not want to use one anyway. The only significant cheat I remember employing seriously was one to get Mew in Red/Blue, or the series of custom-pokemon-maker codes.
I'm mostly interested in the parallel port on the back of the GSpro, I've never used it before and am not sure how it works.
>>
>>2914730
Really hate how online multiplayer and cheevos have almost phased cheat devices out of existence. Fuck even normal cheat codes are rare these days and when they do appear you usually have to pay to use them.
>>
I wish I still had a link to the site. It had a shit load of Action Replay/Game Shark codes. It was a dark colored page and had extensive achieves...
>>
>>2914778
>almost phased cheat devices out of existence
>almost
Are there any at all for the current or previous console generation? I thought they were long-gone by the end of the PS2 era, the last one I recall using was an Action Replay thing for that was more or less just a memory card full of pre-loaded saves and a few codes for the PS2 iirc.
>>
>>2914730
I had one of these for N64, shit was real cool for clipping through doors in Goldeneye and getting to places you couldn't normally get. There was some levitation code for Ocarina of Time too but I ended up corrupting my save file while attempting to levitate through a hole in a ceiling in the Goron's, or maybe it was Zora's I forget. Anyways good times.
>>
>>2914793
Action Replay still makes stuff for handhelds. Or at least they did for the DS have no clue about the 3DS and Vita.
>>
>>2914730

When I was a kid, I went through a phase where I would only play games if I could cheat in them. I didn't think it was fun if I couldn't just plow through everything without trying. I also followed strategy guides to the letter when playing RPGs. That ruined a bunch of games for me, I kick myself over it every now and then.
>>
I loved the n64 gameshark, you could bring all new elements to games.
Me and a friend edited the shit out of Goldeneye. Just go through the hexidecimal editor and find new shit to fuck with, adding in guns that were removed, changing the colors of explosions, all kinds of dumb shit.
>>
>>2914924
>tfw playing the full caverns level in MP
>tfw brothers friend sat on my N64 GS
>>
File: file.png (90 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
file.png
90 KB, 300x230
>>2914826
Huh, had no idea
>>
>>2914826
There's an action replay and a "game genie" (made by hyperkin) for 3DS.

Hacked console is much better for that tho.

RE: /vr/. I think I only used my gameshark for Goldeneye
>>
>>2914745
I don't think I ever had my Gameshark mess up any my games. However, the last couple of times I used my SNES Game Genie, it deleted my saves on two separate carts.
>>
>>2914826
they have a thing for 3ds
>>
>>2915484
>>2914932
>>2914995 has it right. Custom firmware and homebrew heavily outclasses Action Replay, since it allows piracy, emulation and homebrew applications on top of everything action replay did. I was considering buying an action replay until I remembered that I homebrewed my Wii a few years ago, looked into the 3DS scene, downgraded, and got so much more without spending a cent.

Obviously, it was good for a lot of the consoles where homebrew wasn't available. It was fun using a gameshark or AR to make the game harder or to mess around in a sandbox-like fashion in an era without romhacks or at least romhacks I could play. Computer was a toaster in those days, my internet was slow and I was a child
>>
>>2914730
The n64 gameshark was a scam. Only later revisions worked with all the games. That means if you had an earlier version you can't use all the cheats. Also they were glitch as fuck and barely worked.
>>
File: IMG_20160114_014807766_HDR.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160114_014807766_HDR.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
>>2914730
They should really allow this sort of shit in non-rannked games today. I've had more fun modding than in normal games. In lfD2 I used to mod versus (fair to all players) and it was a blast. Well until ban hammer lol.

Unlimited ammo, more monsters, more everything. I understand that they don't want to break the narrative or have people cheat, but nodded lobbies are fun as fuck, long as the playing field is even, and players know what's been changed.
>>
>>2915004
Not him but I have. I had the exact gameshark in OPs pic fuck up my Smash 64. Completely bricked it, wouldnt turn on, just a black screen. I was so stressed but in the end someone online suggest I take the circuit board out, unsolder the battery and resolder it. It worked and the game worked again but everything was erased so I had to unlock everything again. Since then I dont fuck around with GS
>>
File: IMG_20151215_085006161.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_085006161.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>2915695
>>
Still use my ps1 gameshark to play backups
>>
Fucking 4chan fucking shitful fuck.

Just wrote a massive post on action replay snes hacking and it fucking failed the send and wiped it.

Fuck. I'm not writing that out again. Fucking shit fucker. I fucking hate this site.
>>
>>2916109
*facepalm* NOW it works. What a dick.
>>
>>2916109
I copy the long posts before sending specifically for that reason
>>
The only times I've used cheating devices were a.) To reach debug rooms so I could play around with all the unused / cut content in the game, b.) When it was necessary for disc swapping (i.e. playing imports)

I usually won't let cheats anywhere near my save file, but I'll occasionally make exceptions if I really want to add dummied out items or characters to my game just because they're cool to have.
>>
>>2915756
Damn, sorry to hear that anon, never had such a problem myself.

>>2915695
Messing around in the unused levels of Goldeneye was fun, especially in their unfinished states.
>>
>>2914730
I used to love typing random codes in nes GG to see what changed all day.

Nowadays I have nes, genesis and gameboy Game Genies, although typing random codes isnt that fun anymore.
>>
>>2915756
>Completely bricked it, wouldnt turn on, just a black screen
yeah your going to have to piggyback restore that somebitch. check youtube for videos showing how to do that shit.
>>
>>2914932
Pretty sure there's a 3DS model too.

I think overall online has taken out cheating devices, as companies don't want the online game community ruined by cheating.
>>
That thing really takes me back! I had the exact same Gameshark for my N64. I never used it for cheating, but to get easter eggs and various images/etc. hidden within the software somewhere. A good example of this is a secret image of a Photoshopped image of a developer's head in Donkey Kong 64.
>>
I got a Game Genie for the NES way back when, used it more for some games than others.

Just recently picked up a GS for my PS1, gave myself a fresh save file in Gran Turismo 2 with 99 million dollars or something truly stupid like that. I would also give myself the licenses by default, but there's a few different versions of both the game and the GS, and I need the exact code for the specific combination I have, which I don't.

In case anyone is wondering what the parallel ports on GS's are for, it's for loading cheats onto the cart with a cable through your PC using the software that came with the GS. I hear the software is shit and never worked well.
>>
>>2917601
yeah the homebrew community made better than the company that made it
>>
>>2916763
You should read the entire post before responding, anon
>>
>>2914730
I've got the same cart, but it seems to freeze after a certain point. I don't have my N64 hooked up right now but IIRC around the M section it locks up.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.