[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to replay FFVII. My disk is scratched so that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Disk.png (2 MB, 1195x581) Image search: [Google]
Disk.png
2 MB, 1195x581
I'm trying to replay FFVII. My disk is scratched so that Bugenhagen's speech bugs out in the middle and freezes the game. I tried something /vr/ suggested, which was windex and a towel, but that didn't work. Is there anything else I can try?
>>
Get a disc resurfacer/polisher.
>>
I don't know why you bothered to repost this thread. You are only going to get the same replies you got last time.
>>
>>2882475

Disregard this. Once data has been destroyed by physical damage to the disc, you can't put that data back. It's just not possible. How does your resurfacing device know what that data was to begin with? The only thing you're doing is reducing the appearance of scratches by shaving off a thin layer of the disc. If any data on the disc has been corrupted, it's gone forever. No amount of resurfacing is going to bring it back.

You're also screwing over the next person who ends up with your game discs, because they have no idea what sort of damage you've put them through. This is why I'm so adverse to buying games from eBay anymore. Resellers end up with scratched discs that don't work anymore, run them through resurfacing devices and claim they're in like-new condition.

Count your losses and toss the disc.
>>
Thread regurgitation is standard for 4chan but where are all the wannabe witty replies about using alcohol and/or orange juice to repair scratched disks?

C'mon guise!
>>
>>2882473
Play it on an emulator, or on a PS2.

The original PS1 has a self destructive cd drive.
>>
>>2882489
a scratch will only destroy data if it's fully penetrated the lacquer. in OPs pic it doesn't look like it's gone all the way through (you'd be able to see it on the label side), but hard to tell from the shitty picture. if a scratch is simply on the surface of the disc, like most scratches are, then resurfacing can help.

most used game places will resurface your discs for real cheap. worth trying. I've had several games resurfaced that would barely even play, but now work like a charm.
>>
>>2882517

My experience has been thus:

- Buy a game on eBay, seller says it was resurfaced, game doesn't actually work.

Every time. No, there's nothing wrong with my consoles. I have multiple consoles on hand, and they all produce the same issues. Running a disc check on the games produces several corrupt sectors.

I have numerous discs at the moment that are mildly scratched and produce infrequent DREs, or freeze up at certain cutscenes or FMVs. Any of these that I've had "professionally" resurfaced just stopped working altogether.

I don't care what anyone says - resurfacing is a scam.
>>
>>2882473
You can try rubbing the surface with toothpaste. It can help with the lighter scratches.
>>
>>2882538
Most ebay sellers are going to spend the $1000+ on a machine that will actually professionally resurface them. so they use low tier shit which makes the games worse, good equipment costs money
>>
>>2883105
Windex will damage plastics and paper towels will scratch them... So that's not ideal. I've always used acrylic scratch removers like the ones for aquarium use. They're perfect for any cd. The one I use is called "novus"
>>
>>2883285
>>2883105
Replied to you on accident
>>
File: 51S9HX47TFL._SY300_.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51S9HX47TFL._SY300_.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>2883105
speaking of shitty devices do you remember this shitty device.
>>
>>2882473
LEETS POOL OUR MONEY TOGETHER AND BUY A 5 MILLION DOLLAR DISC Resurfacing FOR EVERYONE TO USE
>>
>>2883306
I don't know how good these machines are but a lot of places, like second hand stores, will resurface your disc for you for a small price.
>>
File: 1450990551920.jpg (3 MB, 2272x4960) Image search: [Google]
1450990551920.jpg
3 MB, 2272x4960
>>2883293
>Be younger
>At Gamestop, buying used original Xbox game
>HERE BRO LET ME GIVE YOU A FREE RESURFACING
>n-no thats
>RRRRRNNNNNNN
>HERE YOU GO
>Disk is completely covered in very faint uniform scratches
>Th-thanks
>>
>>2883293
I've fixed hundreds of DVDs with a similar device from when I worked at a video store.

>>2882489
>>2882538
are ignorant faggots who have no experience with shit like this. "Oh it didn't work the one time I used it so it never works for anyone."
>>
swap the disc
only difference between discs are the FMV's
Had to do same thing when you go back to forgotten city
>>
>>2883306
3 pawn shops in my city have one
2 of the charge $2 and the other charges $5
>>
>>2882504

How do you mean?
>>
>>2883293
good lord that piece of shit
>>
>>2883717
what type of machine is it
>>
>>2882473
Rub in semen with a damp cloth.
>>
File: 1398398895584.jpg (41 KB, 620x250) Image search: [Google]
1398398895584.jpg
41 KB, 620x250
toothpaste - rub it in to fill the cracks

Cum on it - let it dry and remove the excess

Download an ISO and play it on an emulator

or
just
kill
yourself
>>
/thread
>>
run thread.exe
>>
>>2882473
Disk rot
Your disk is screwed
>>
>>2882489
When a disc is scratched, it usually doesn't scratch the actual data layer, it just scratches the the clear plastic layer that just gives the disc it's structure. When this layer is scratched, the cd drives laser gets reflected at an angle that doesn't let allow the drive to read the disc. Resurfacing the cd fixes this. This data isn't damaged.
>>
>>2884468
don't do any of this.
>>
>>2882473
Get of these anon. I got one a couple of years ago and it works pretty well. Great investment if your gonna be buying used games. Theres even a minidisc attactment that you can use on gamecube games.
>>
Using a dab of baking soda based tooth paste and a T-shirt to buff out the scratches. Wipe in small circles like you're polishing silver. This works pretty much every time for scratches that aren't insanely deep. The data is actually on the reverse side of the top of disc and there is a layer of plastic that may be safely abraided for this purpose.
>>
>>2882473
nice glasses nerd
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.