[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ys thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: ys.png (106 KB, 751x663) Image search: [Google]
ys.png
106 KB, 751x663
Is it really that bad?
>>
File: kefin-map.png (23 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
kefin-map.png
23 KB, 256x224
>>2881253
It's not bad, it's just bland. It's a bit too easy (hence Expert mode, too bad that isn't being translated as far as I know) and while alchemy is introduced as a huge gameplay element it's seldom useful and more hassle than it's worth. It's kinda obvious Falcom wasn't all that familiar with SFC programming because the game feels unpolished in that regard - a bit too sluggish, a bit too laggy in places where it really shouldn't feel like this at all.

The story is unremarkable and all over the place. I mean, Ys III was a huge mess because its plot was hastily put together as an excuse for a side scroller, but it's obvious they were going for an elaborate plot with V and it just goes nowhere. The design documents outline a story that's FAR more coherent and satisfying than whatever the hell V actually was.

Even music, the one thing Ys has always been outstanding at, feels a bit too bland. The entire audiovisual department is bland as hell considering it takes place in Northern Africa and the story calls for tons of cool influences and motifs. Both the sound and visuals are just mortifyingly generic. They did have a vision for it but failed to execute it, pic related is a good example of what I mean: the map makes Kefin look like a hanging gardens of Babylon sort of place, which would look (and sound) amazing, but the music is generic orchestra and the entire place looks like a completely unremarkable European city.

So yeah, it's not BAD, it's just very mediocre. It's the one game I hope they remake, with proper implementation of the alchemy idea AND the actual story they were planning it'd be an awesome game. As it stands it's just an okay effort. It's just disappointing, not bad.
>>
>>2881253
I think I've mentioned this in about 10 different Ys threads at this point, but I'll say it again: It starts out shit, but it gets much better once you buy/find different swords. The starting sword just has an awkward swing.
Also prepare to be disappointed by the magic system. The first spell you get from Massea is actually more useful than most of of the ones you can craft.

>>2881265
I didn't think the story was all over the place. It's basically a simple time travel plot. Just pay attention and it's easy to understand
>>
>>2881316
Time travel? The only time travel plot is the Stoker/Foresta side story, and it's completely disconnected from the main Kefin story to the extent that its resolution has to be tacked on right before the final boss. While you're destroying Kefin a mcguffin literally sends you into the past to resolve this side plot, then you come back and keep destroying Kefin. It has no relevance to anything else, if anything it just breaks the flow of the main story even more by making the final events seem less coherent. I mean, even less than what they actually are.

Also every other sword has awkward swing arcs or styles. It was a cool feature having different swords control differently, but some styles are poorly implemented. The last sword is especially aggravating, since it makes you do a rather slow estoc-type of thrust. Fighting the final boss, who requires jumping all over the place, with such a sluggish attack, is a bit too annoying.
>>
I enjoyed it enough to play through it twice. But yeah, the only title in the series which was more bland was Mask of the Sun.

The second time I used a FAQ to find the handful of stones I missed my first time through in the hopes of making all of the strongest magic. It didn't make any difference though. In the end I just preferred using the same mid-tier spells I did on my previous run. Also, I still never found enough to have everything in a single run. But you can make the magic, use it in battle, and reset to load up your last save and see another.

The highest level magic looks sweet and packs a nice punch, but not enough to make up for the cost per use. Magma was my favorite, if I'm recalling correctly. It was 2 light and 1 fire, kind of difficult to aim because the beam meandered about randomly. But it would often sweep the same enemy or enemies several times per cast if you placed Adol at the proper range for the spell to do so. Awesome against larger foes.
>>
>>2881358
The plot is a little hazy for me because I haven't played it in years, but this was my interpretation;
Kefin was stuck in a non-physical realm where time didn't exist. Basically when you enter Kefin you're traveling to the past.
And by breaking the time bracelet and saving Stoker you prevented Rizze and Jabir from breaking the seal in the first place, because they needed Foresta's alchemy shit to do it. That's why the desert just disappears at the end, because you stopped that shit from even really happening in the first place.
When you saved Stoker is the moment you actually saved Afroca, destroying the philosophers stone was just so Jabir couldn't use it to try again.
That's why a statue of Adol appears in Foresta village too, and Willy just acts like it's always been there.
>>
>>2881438
I don't think that's quite what happens.

Kefin is in a non-physical realm where time doesn't exist, that's true. But it's not 500 years in the past. Rizze's intervention in the story and how the portal to Kefin works in-game clearly show that while time doesn't pass IN KEFIN, people from Kefin are aware that it does pass in the outside world.

The desert disappears at the end because Kefin's physical distortion causes it to expand. It has nothing to do with time travel and at no point is time travel shown or stated to be the reason for anything Kefin related. Kefin being "lost" is an entirely separate plot that hinges on Alchemy and the Philosopher's Stone, not at all on time travelling and certainly not on saving Foresta, who is of little to no consequence to the main story.

If you think about it it's impossible that saving Foresta 500 years in the past would change anything. It's not Foresta that the soldiers in the past looked for, it's the Lumen Crystal that she and Stoker guarded, and the soldiers never obtain it in either timeline. The first thing Stoker says when meeting you is that he's a spirit because he sacrificed his life to save Foresta and seal her with the crystal, and both are intact when you meet them. And of course in the new timeline you create you just kill the soldiers and Stoker and Foresta live while keeping the crystal safe. What I'm getting at is that in no timeline do the soldiers actually GET the Crystal, so its power never influences Kefin's history. It's a tragic but completely irrelevant event, and if you look at what's there it clearly has nothing to do with Kefin. I wish your theory held, it makes the whole thing a little more coherent.
>>
Why is Adol's last name Christin? Does it mean that he's Jesus?
>>
>>2883537
his name is more like adoru kurisutin
>>
>>2881253
no. ys 5 is very fun imo. I like it better than 1 or 2 and maybe 3... and maybe even snes 4? it's great
>>
>>2881253
I completed it, and the first reply sums it up pretty well. It's easy and kind of bland. It isn't bad in the sense that it makes you quit playing, but it was uninteresting enough to make me question whether completing it was the right decision.

Not to be contrary to another Anon here, I would say don't be afraid to bail out of Ys V after a while if you don't like it. If you give the game a shot for a couple areas you will know exactly how enjoyable the rest is.

You really should just try it yourself. Again, it's not bad. You'll have fun for the first areas if you feel any attachment to Ys or SNES action rpgs. The killer is deciding whether you are going to regret pushing yourself to complete it.
>>
>>2883597
so adol kristen
>>
>>2883537
by that retarded logic chris-chan is jesus too
>>
>>2884447
That makes sense, Jesus was basically autistic.
>>
Wish I could enjoy the Ys series. The bump system feels like a parody of RPGs, reducing the genre to numbers lowering numbers until one number hits zero.
>>
File: fedora for ants.jpg (2 KB, 135x90) Image search: [Google]
fedora for ants.jpg
2 KB, 135x90
>>2884448
I don't usually tip my fedoras but holy fuck, kid.
>>
>>2884450
>Implying I'm wrong
>>
>>2884449
Only the first two games (and their remakes) have the bump combat system.
Keep in mind these were two of the earliest Action-RPGs ever made. Zelda had only been out a year when the first Ys game was released.

Also there's a tiny bit of strategy involved, you gotta hit the enemy off-center or else you'll receive a lot of damage. So it's not entirely just your numbers vs their numbers.

But yeah, the later games have much better combat. Ys Origin is probably my favorite in terms of gameplay, next to Ys 7. Not retro though.
>>
>>2884512
I swear the origins remake had normal "felghana" button mashing style combat, am I dreaming?
>>
>>2884514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgPbUzdX7CE
>>
>>2884514
Ys Origin isn't a remake, it's a prequel. Felghana's the one that's a remake of Ys III
>>
>>2884512
>Only the first two games (and their remakes) have the bump combat system.
Don't forget that both versions of Ys IV (Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys) also have bump combat, though the remake does not. The I/II remakes allow diagonal movement and I think that's the absolute best version of the bump system.

>>2884514
Origin keeps the Felghana system (well, to be accurate the Napishtim/Kefin system) but it has three different characters with wildly different approaches to combat, and in turn each has a couple different attack styles and magic and whatnot. It's the most refined in terms of gameplay and the peak of Ys combat systems (the subsequent party system is fun but not nearly as good).
>>
keep it retro
>>
>>2884449
>The bump system feels like a parody of RPGs, reducing the genre to numbers lowering numbers until one number hits zero.

Rude, lad. I like to think of it as shmup-meets-Secret-of-Mana
>>
>>2884449
Dude, Hydlide came out in 1984 and used bump combat, a way to make Tower of Druaga's battle system usable on a larger scale. It was never a parody, more a simplification chosen because more complex hack-and-slash combat wasn't fleshed out in many games at all yet. And Ys derives at least a few things from Hydlide and its kind.
>>
>>2884578
Fuck off.
>>
>>2881265
>It's kinda obvious Falcom wasn't all that familiar with SFC programming because the game feels unpolished in that regard - a bit too sluggish, a bit too laggy in places where it really shouldn't feel like this at all.
Wasn't Ys V outsourced like Ys IV was?
>>
>>2885151
No, Falcom only outsourced both versions of Ys IV
>>
>>2884553
you're right senpai I forgot about ys iv
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.