[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: 1458093327132.jpg (884 KB, 1873x768) Image search: [Google]
1458093327132.jpg
884 KB, 1873x768
>>
>POWER

What did he mean by this?

>GameBoy COLOR
>COLOR

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3361070
If 3DS had filter using camera to check light level so when it's lighter, less it's seen, the couldn't emulate GBC.
>>
A thread died for you to repost this image
>>
File: GB Boy Colour.jpg (150 KB, 1018x768) Image search: [Google]
GB Boy Colour.jpg
150 KB, 1018x768
>>3361070
Best solution incoming.
>>
>>3362430
>emulator
>stretched image
>Chinese knockoff quality
No thanks
>>
>>3362450
>emulator
can anybody confirm? First time I hear this.
If you happen to have one of these, what's their physical resolution?
>>
>>3362457

I actually read up on a while ago and I'm 99% sure it's a hardware clone, not an emulator. If the D-Pad didn't look like total shit I'd have probably got one.
>>
>>3362639
>If the D-Pad didn't look like total shit

You can easily swap the shitty d-pad for a gameboy one. Just buy a broken gameboy for a few dollars and you're good to go.

>I actually read up on a while ago and I'm 99% sure it's a hardware clone

You're correct. It's a system-on-a-chip, superior to software level emulation. The only real problem with it is the screen ratio, but I don't really have any problems with it. I mean, just look at it, the screen is gorgeous.
>>
>>3363704
Yeah that screen is fantastic
>>
>>3363704
What gameboy pads fit inside the gb boy color?
>>
>>3363704

It may not be a dealbreaker yet whenever I look at the screen I still ask myself WHY? Why did they choose that weird slightly stretched resolution in the first place?! Seems so unnecessary and tainting an otherwise really good device, like a single rabbit dropping on an otherwise delicious cake.
>>
>>3364089
>Why did they choose that weird slightly stretched resolution in the first place?
cost. The screen is not made for the device, it was just the cheapest close-enough one available
>>
>>3364089
Because it's an off-the-shelf panel with a standard aspect ratio.

If Kong Feng wanted to replicate the GBC screen exactly they'd have to use a custom panel and the device would likely cost 500 bucks as a result.
>>
>>3362450
Not an emulator at all. Probably should learn the difference between an emulator and a clone.
Screen is squished a few pixels. Sprites just look slightly pudgy.
Actually great build quality for a knockoff. This thing has survived more than its fair share of abuse.

Honestly the only problem I have with it is the D-pad not being spot on, other than that the rest of the buttons and the unit are great and the screen is beautiful.
>>
>>3364094
Couldn't they just stretch the image to fit back?
>>
>>3364192
you'd have to make the image more narrow to match the GB aspect ratio. That means either black bars, or the cover of the screen covering parts of the screen, which they probably figured would be wasteful.
It's my understanding that, regardless of aspect, the display does not have the correct resolution. I have yet to hear what resolution it has though
>>
File: T2v58DXlpOXXXXXXXX_!!72144695.jpg (54 KB, 518x836) Image search: [Google]
T2v58DXlpOXXXXXXXX_!!72144695.jpg
54 KB, 518x836
>>3362430
Actual best solution.
>>
>>3364441
At least >>3362430 wouldn't damage original hardware for their result. You're a straight up murderer
>>
>>3364457
I'm not sure adding a backlight to something counts as damaging it. You're weird, anon.
>>
>>3364483
would replacing the V8 engine in a 70s Corvette with an electric engine be considered damaging? Because that's what's being done here.
>>
>>3364441

How?
The GBC cannot be backlit. Custom screen?
>>
>>3364492
But you're not replacing anything, you're supplementing a fundamentally flawed aspect of the device.
>>
>>3364505
No backlight, but you can get a frontlight, same one used in most models of AGS-101.
>>
>>3364506
so you'd add flappy paddle gear changers to the Corvette and say that's a good thing?

The light mod isn't just "adding" something to the system, it's breaking a core aspect of it
>>
>>3364507

It just looked too good to be tru- I mean frontlit
>>
>>3364510
>muh santictity of muh commercial product :(
Except it's less than that because it's not even yours, so I don't know why you give a shit.
>>
>>3364519
>it's not even yours, so I don't know why you give a shit
the obsession of this board with light mods is highly frustrating. It's one thing to be completely ignorant of these devices, but you guys take it one step further and circle jerk each other for it. You're like the polar opposite to the emulation haters or crt folks. You embrace fucking with the authenticity for some twisted convenience thinking. I wouldn't mind, but it's practically impossible to talk about the GBC on here without someone whining about the beautiful screen, and wanting to replace it with GBA crap
>>
>>3364507
So much misinformation in one post.

You can make the GBC backlit using the screen from an AGS-101, which has a backlit screen, not frontlit. The AGS-001 has a front light.
>>
>>3364526
I meant 001, that's my bad, but unless there's been some advancement in the past year or so, the GBC LCD still can't support a backlight.

>>3364524
I fully appreciate authenticity, I still use an unmodified GBC, I don't have a problem with other people enjoying the games they want to. People who treat the stock hardware like some holy untouchable perfection, like any modificiation is an inherent detriment, are really obnoxious, because the flaws with older hardware were plainly obvious in their day and are even moreso now, and it's entirely understandable that people would want to make a few changes to that to make it more fun to use. Even the console manufacturers themselves see the flaws, that's why they have hardware revisions that usually improve on them. If you want to discuss the stock hardware, it's not that hard to just say "this isn't a thread about hardware mods" without shitting over everyone else who likes them.
>>
>>3364540
>the flaws with older hardware were plainly obvious in their day and are even moreso now
what flaws? I love the screen, because unlike backlit screens it works. The NDS lite screen has given me troubles like you wouldn't believe, while the GBC screen worked just fine.

>it's entirely understandable that people would want to make a few changes to that to make it more fun to use
they're not playing the hardware then, are they? Just some lookalike with a massive dose of rose tinted nostalgia goggles. Fairly worthless. Then again, people on here unironically play GBC games on the GBA, talk about modding GBAs, and the janitors will do nothing about it. This thread is in the shit because of these wanna-be nostalgia idiots that can't handle the reality of the actual system.

>it's not that hard to just say "this isn't a thread about hardware mods" without shitting over everyone else who likes them
you're not that naive, are you? Such a thread would die instantly on here, because everybody with GBC interests that posts on here is a backlight idiot.

Only reason I bother with these threads is that there are too few other locations I visit where that device can be talked about. But it's a seriously hard to stomach shitfest, very upsetting.
>>
>>3363704
>I mean, just look at it, the screen is gorgeous.
And they even spell "colour" properly. That's enough for me.
>>
File: no_u_for_knowyourmeme.jpg (30 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
no_u_for_knowyourmeme.jpg
30 KB, 640x454
>>3364953
>properly
>>
Emulating handhelds on PC is retarded and buying a Chinese clone with the wrong aspect ratio is even more retarded. I guess 3DS is not "retro" enough for you though. Or maybe it's not right if it doesn't have shitty emulator filters?
>>
>>3364492
People mod their cars all the time, it's nothing new.
It's not like he gutted it and put raspberry pi in there instead.
>>
>>3364970
>People mod their cars all the time
usually classics get restaurations or respectful modding. The GBClassic doesn't, it gets shit on
>>
>>3364554
>it's not the original hardware but people like it because it's functional and objectively better

>WAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!
>WAAAAAHHHAAAHHHHHH!
>>
>>3364540
Dude, you're a retard. If someone buys a hardware, they're entitled to do wtf they want with it. If you don't like that, then buy all those hardwares and lock them up in a big safe.
>>
>>3364973
They modded them to add more horsepower. That's what the age of muscle car was about.
>>
>>3364974
if you want "better", play a 3DS, or a Vita. The GBC deals with a different kind of style, one that you backlight basement dwellers will never understand
>>
>>3364980
How about you fuck off and stop telling me what to play? If I want to get a GB Boy Colour then I will, you fucking shitbag.
>>
>>3364492
>70s Corvette
4 million vacuum lines and 140hp sure are worth losing tears over.

An electric Stingray would rule.
>>
>>3364983
sure thing, take your modern handheld and talk about it on /v/. This place here is for people with taste
>>
>>3364990
So I talk about the GB Boy there, but as soon as I bring up the games, I'll get told to take it back here? No thanks, I'll talk about an alternate platform for /vr/ games here, ta.
>>
>>3364554
>what flaws? I love the screen, because unlike backlit screens it works.
You're retarded.
>>
>>3364993
>I'll get told to take it back here?
GB games are not prohibited on /v/

If you do want to talk about the games here, you're welcome. The PoS you play them on should be irrelevant

>I'll talk about an alternate platform for /vr/ games here
if only the mods had the balls to permaban trolls like you
>>
>>3364997
>if only the mods had the balls to permaban trolls like you
How the fucking hell am I trolling? It's a machine for playing retro games. Just because it doesn't quite fit in with your autistic, obsessively anal, blinkered preconceptions of what should be discussed here...

Just accept that this place isn't all about you and the topics valid for discusion are somewhat open to interpretation.
>>
>>3364441
>Non durable workaround that fucks with the original product and makes the screen blurry
>>
>>3365006
>How the fucking hell am I trolling?
openly violating the rules of the board, shitposting

These threads are littered with talk about GBA and the handheld equivalent of famiclones. There is no actual talk about retro handhelds or retro handheld games on here. There's no interpretation, you guys are openly trolling, trying to make these devices de facto acceptable here, and that's simply malicious bullshit
>>
>>3365094
Are they de jure not acceptable?
>>
>>3365119
>frantic sound of Googling what "de jure" means
>>
>>3365119
indeed they aren't
>>
>>3365136
Oh. Okay then. I thought it was just someone's tantrum.
>>
>>3364554

This entire post is pure retardation. There is nothing special about unmodded hardware, and you're the one with a massive dose of rose tinted nostalgia googles if you're unable to recognize the flaws of the original hardware.

Fuck off and die.
>>
Gb Boy actually stretches the image but only 16 pixels
GB Boy's (160x160)
GBC's (160x144)
>>
>>3365981
Thank you for this post, anon. I've considered buying one for awhile.
>>
>>3365549
>unable to recognize the flaws of the original hardware
the flaw here are people trying to play that thing inside closets. They're literally holding it wrong, and too retarded to understand that
>>
>>3365981
it has a square resolution, but an even wider aspect than the GB? That would mean its pixels are not square at all. Why would anybody make such a display nowadays?
The difference in resolution being so small means it must have some really bad truncation or scaling issues
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.