[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games that play themselves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Masters of Monsters (pic related) is a game I enjoy watching more than actually playing. Just set all players to CPU and it usually takes the game a few hours to sort itself out.

Are there any other retro games with demonstration or CPU vs. CPU modes like this?
>>
Isn't that a common feature in strategy games?
>>
OP here, there were drugs involved
>>
>>3353283
Tried it. It's so damn ugly. And I find the capture the towers mechanic boring. Ogre Battle had more variety, though it was more of an early RTS.
>>
File: warlords-ii-deluxe_14.png (96 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
warlords-ii-deluxe_14.png
96 KB, 640x480
Warlords II
>>
>>3353283
Played that on Genga Drive as a kid, OP. Really only remember the soundtrack. Star Control can be set comp v. comp for some launch spiders fun times.
>>
wrestlemania 2000 for the n64

maybe a few other wrestling games on the playstation and n64
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
I like watching Hexagon 2 for Dos
it's much shorter though
>>
I think Scorched Earth lets you do CPU vs CPU, but it's been years since I've played it.

My go-to game for this is Battle for Wesnoth, but that isn't retro.
>>
In Gran Turismo 2 you can see a "real time" (I don't know other way to describe it as they aren't pre-made replays) demonstration in Endurance Modes, you can watch the whole race with all the angles from replay mode.
>>
>>3353283
bomberman 2 is a real joy to watch as all 4 cpus fail to utilise even the most basic on bomb-ber man tactics and usually play until a draw
>>
International Superstar soccer and Winning Eleven iirc
>>
>>3354538
DUDE
>>
>>3353283
Major Rampage on sega
>>
>>3354538
Liar liar.

>>3355383
It's not a pretty game but it has some charm IMO. The music is really nice.

>>3355987
Actual OP here, this game fits the bill perfectly. I think I played this years ago, gonna have to dig into it again.

Thanks to everyone else for the other suggestions. International Superstar Soccer was nice too and I'm trying out the other suggestions now.
>>
>>3356136
>Star Control can be set comp v. comp for some launch spiders fun times
Also looks better in Star Control 2, or the free opensource version Ur-quan Masters.
>>
lots of fighting games have this feature
I used to watch two CPU battle in Super Street Fighter IV
>>
Tecmo Super Bowl. also most other sports games.
>>
>>3358923
I love watching matches from all SF games. https://youtu.be/ZRY0aMbSZEM
>>
International Superstar Soccer was better than watching a real match.
>>
>>3359572
>>3359898
Yeah, forgot what I wanted to say.

Fighting game AI is usually not that good or interesting to watch. Usually it's programmed to do certain patterns which you can learn to identify easily, especially in SF.

In KoF, for example, this is different, there's actual AI difficulty setting, and it can be pretty useful for training. But in SF AI always plays the same.
>>
File: iss.png (130 KB, 1366x736) Image search: [Google]
iss.png
130 KB, 1366x736
>>3359915
currently watching a CPU battle of ISS Deluxe and it's fairly interesting
not many shots on goal
considering putting in handicaps like less players on one team
may also put in less players overall

I guess the interesting thing of cpu vs cpu is 'emergent' things happening - unexpected observations
>>
>>3360354
>not many shots on goal
ever seen real soccer?
>>
>>3353283
capitalism if you enjoy biz-sims and don't actually expect the game to ever end
>>
>>3353283
Brigandine is a LOT like Maser of Monsters
>>
>>3353283
The AI in mario party games can win themselves. Often a CPU can just sit there and do nothing and they'll win.
>>
>>3365973
Setting CPS to easy in mario party 1-6 lead to some of the dumbest plays possible.
There's a /v/ stream that sometime shows up called mario reardy where he does this and anons watch together.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.