[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Quest thread: faces of evil edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 112
Last one was nearly capped.
>>
Stop with these endless threads and "editions". Nothing good comes from that.
>>
>mfw DQVII remake is only coming out for the 3DS, and I don't own a 3DS
A shame, it looked like a port about the quality of the newer DQ games.
>>
>breed a metal slime with a king slime
>doesn't make a metal king slime

why.jpg
>>
You should probably let the old thread know you made another thread
>>
File: mother fucker.gif (25 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
mother fucker.gif
25 KB, 550x400
>>
File: Metabble fled.gif (686 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Metabble fled.gif
686 KB, 480x270
>>3345443
>>
I'd just like to point out I suggested Dragon Quest as a player for the /vr/ 4CC team because goddamn, these threads are becoming as common a stable here as the Doom thread.
>>
File: Metal Slime.gif (482 B, 38x38) Image search: [Google]
Metal Slime.gif
482 B, 38x38
>>3345452

>>3345460
They tend to not survive on /vg/ and /v/ threads tend to just fill up with shitposts and lewd.
>>
>>3345474
>lewd
So what's the problem?
>>
>playing caravan heart
>trying to find cat mages so I can grind for their hearts to make a slime mage
>can't fucking find them
god damnit
>>
>>3345474
I think /dqg/ should be reattempted when 7/Builders are close to coming out, it might have a better shot at lasting then

or try /jrpg/ again
>>
>>3345484
This isn't /e/. Image dumps just detract from other posts/threads.
>>
>>3345490
we could try but it'd probably die again

/vg/ moves incredibly fast, on active days a thread can go from page 1 to 404 in like 25 minutes
>>
>>3345489
Are you playing an English Rom? I wanna play it before I try Joker
>>
>>3345497
Remember when /vg/ moved slow?
>>
>>3345209
how can one princess be so pure?
>>
>>3345918
All the rule 34 of her says otherwise.
>>
>>3345918
She's not so pure.
>>
>>3345918
She's the only girl in the DQ2 party anon. Who do you think the party's going to leave behind when they run?
>>
>>3345926
They leave behind Cannock, of course.
>>
>>3345928
Not in the remakes when he's worth a damn, anon.
>>
>>3345931
>Cannock
>Worth a damn
Hah. That's funny.
>>
I haven't played II, what makes Cannock so bad?
>>
>>3345937
He's a true "Jack of all trades, master of none" with shitty stats
>>
>>3345937
He has pretty terrible attack and his spells aren't great. Though strangely if he's a high level his attack growth shoots through the roof, but you'll probably never get there.
>>
>>3345937
>>3345939
And the worst part is that he's the guy that learns revive spells.
He's almost always dead when you need those spells.
>>
>>3345937
he's supposed to be a mix of physical attacker and caster except his offense drops off a cliff after some time and never recovers until the very end if you grind.
>>
>>3345209
I really want to get into DQ, as I've grown bored of pretty much all games other than JRPGs (Mainly SMT)
My problem is that I tried going through FFI and I just couldn't. I was bored to death.
Is 3 a good place to start? I went through the intro bit (where you get asked all the questions) and I just kinda dropped it.
Is it worth another go? Also yes, I have DQVII on pre-order, even if I don't play it, I want to support one of the few remaining turn based RPGs in the west.
>>
>>3346147
What makes them boring to you? DQ3 (well most DQ games) tend not to really tell you everything so you are mostly just exploring the world a bit aimlessly. They give you goals but it's up to you to explore the world trying to solve them yourself.
>>
>>3346147
I recommend DQIV or DQV. Both are nice and classic. The older games are good, but if you're looking for that Dragon Quest charm you should probably start with some later games
>>
>>3346147
III is basically the truest JRPG experience you can have, basically the "ultimate" jrpg. Not my favorite of the series (personal second favorite) but I think it's fine as a first, my personal favorite version is the sfc/snes version. However if you're not liking don't force yourself through it. IV, my personal favorite, is a good starting point. The DS version, although it has a pretty annoying translation, is very good. Many people also like V and VIII(which are the most popular in the series behind III) as those were they're first. For V the PS2 version (need to emulate) or DS (same complaint for IV DS) are good. For VIII just do the PS2 version as we have no release date for the 3DS version. VII is absolutely not a good place for a beginner, although very good it should be played after getting some more experience with the series.

Hope
>>
>>3346160
Oops, meant to say "hope this helps".
>>
>>3345918
It's the headdress. She was probably undergoing some religious education/training before what happened to Moonbrooke (i wouldn't be surprised if the King was looking to have a male heir at some point)
>>
>>3345942
That's what the Leaf of the World Tree is for.
>>
File: 1457136865205-1.gif (37 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1457136865205-1.gif
37 KB, 500x400
>>3345918
I think I might play DQ2 just because of her, she's so cute.
>>
http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestii/
http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestiii/
http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestiv/
http://shmuplations.com/kiyahorii/

Some great interviews about DQII, III, and IV.
>>
File: DQII JP art VS DWII US art.jpg (65 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
DQII JP art VS DWII US art.jpg
65 KB, 600x300
A piece from the Dragon Quest II manual and its redone US counterpart.
>>
The heroes of DQII US redesigns, funny that the prince if cannock has his goggles and his...leggings? Guessing it's chainmail but it looks awkward.
>>
>>3346340
>>3346346
I like em better in the grittier art style. All things considered, DQII isn't a very cheerful game.
>>
god damn thieves
>>
File: Dragon Quest Monsters.png (4 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest Monsters.png
4 KB, 160x144
I'm mixed about this game

Breeding is pretty fun but also confusing as hell if you don't have a guide and it's pretty easy to screw up

grindy as hell, too, and some of the late game gates can be a slog to get through
>>
>>3346340
Why are americans so edgy and boring?
>>
>>3346512
>Breeding is pretty fun but also confusing as hell if you don't have a guide and it's pretty easy to screw up
>>
>>3346512
It's a fun game, but I've dropped it three times. I just can't beat it because I always get shit monsters.

Monsters 2 is better. You can play as a cute as hell soviet loli, there are DQ7 monsters and sea monsters, the movesets of many monsters were improved, there are actual towns with interesting stories and the postgame is endless because you can keep creating new key worlds.

But the random worlds in the first game are much better as a postgame, because it's pure dungeon crawling. In the second game, the key worlds are filled with lots of superficial crap like boring randomly generated towns and shit. It gets old fast. Maybe I just don't see the appeal, I don't know.

The breeding system is weird in the sequel. In the first game, the master monster tamer tells you what monster will result from the breeding before you decide if you want to do it. You can even see it by simply scrolling the list after choosing the first monster. This means that you can easily know if two of your monsters can breed a rare monster you didn't expect. It's good when you have many spare monsters and just want to breed them to save space.When you say yes, the old man automatically saves the game so you can't just reset and get your monsters back. You have to decide carefully.

In the second game, the guy doesn't save your game anymore. You can reset if you don't like the result. But for some reason, you can't see what the resulting monster will be just by looking at the list. The guy won't tell you either. You have to actually breed them and see the cutscene before you know what monster you got. You have to do this with every possible pair of monsters to know what their offspring will be, while in the first game you could know all this shit just scrollong through the list. It's bullshit.
>>
File: 3135_front.jpg (81 KB, 614x615) Image search: [Google]
3135_front.jpg
81 KB, 614x615
I'm trying to play DW7. I just finished exploring the ruins with Kiefer for the first time and he told me to look around the island for the missing shard. I'm really liking the game so far... but the controls are ruining the experience for me.

I played older DQ games with the keyboard. Arrow keys to move, Z to open the menu, X to cancel, A for the multi-function button 5 and 6 had. It was perfect.

But since this game uses 3D graphics that block your view, it requires you to use the L1 and R1 buttons to constantly move the camera so you can see where the hell you are going and where your character is.

I actually like being able to move the camera. The crude PS1 graphics make the world feel more real and mysterious, even if they are kind of ugly. The ruins were fucking amazing. But as I said, the controls make it a chore to play.

I'm using this configuration:

< (small key left of Z on my keyboard) = L1

Z = Menu

X = Cancel and R1

A = Multi-function button

It's not too bad. I keep two fingers on the L1/R1 buttons all the time so I can move the camera. But it's really awkward.

I've tried playing with a a few PS2 controllers, but they are old and some buttons don't respond unless I press really hard. The directional pads are really stiff and stop responding half the time.

I tried buying a new controller. The directional pad feels much better and responds perfectly, but it still feels awkward because I have to keep moving my thumb. On a keyboard, I can put a finger on each arrow key and only have to move my middle finger if I want to switch from UP to DOWN. It feels much better, but I have to deal with the camera controls... I've tried moving with the joystick, but it's awkward too because the character can only move in 8 directions.

I don't want to drop the game, but I just can't figure out how to play it without being constantly annoyed by the controls. How the hell am I supposed to play this game?
>>
>>3346723
By the way, I heard that they simplified the ruins way too much in the remake. Is it that bad? Because I really enjoyed them.
>>
>>3346429
I think part of the charm came from the disparity between the content and the aesthetic.
>>
File: announce-ds-e.png (58 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
announce-ds-e.png
58 KB, 512x384
On top of all the pacing problems I pointed out in past threads, the DS remakes of IV, V and VI reduced the size of the overworld for some reason, which makes the world feel really small. VI in particular feels tiny compared to the original version. It looks pathetic.

Why did they do this? I think the DS was powerful enough to handle the original size of the maps, so why?
>>
>>3346723
>keyboard
Jesus. Just order a Playstation controller usb adapter from some Tsing Tsong sweatshop for .99$ and have some fun[/fun]
>>
>>3346723
This is why I can't stand modern games. Too many fucking buttons and unnecessary 3D shit. Any game that can't be easily emulated without slow down and graphical glitches or can't be played comfortably without a certain controller is doomed to disappear.

Games can be preserved as roms, but physical cartridges, old consoles and controllers will eventually stop working one day. All those faggots that want to preserve old games should stop buying buggy, old cartridges and playstation CD's with damaged data for ridiculous prices and just preserve roms, hacks and fan translations in an external HDD in case they are wiped from the internet forever. Especially obscure games that the masses don't give a shit about, they could be lost forever.
>>
>>3346786
The entire world map is 4096x4096 on both versions in terms of raw pixels and they seem to be roughly the same size to me. The forests and mountains look less repetitive, so it's probably an illusion.

Any reductions made were probably for aesthetic reasons or to conform to a hardware limitation.
>>
>>3345209
I want to get into DQ but I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions?
>>
>>3346834
Just start from the first one, it's easy enough. Or play IV first.
>>
>>3346831
>>3346831
>>3346831
It's not an illusion, you can clearly see it. Try walking from one town to the next in both versions of any of the three games. Try walking from the harbor (you reach the continent on a ship) to real world Somnia/Reidock in the remake. It's ridiculous how short the distance is, especially because an NPC gives you directions, as if you needed them.

Compare this (8:12):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2jLAmyB8U

To this (5:13):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU1wFpc4rc

It doesn't seem like a big deal, the original only takes like three seconds longer. But do this for the whole map and it really shrinks in size. It feels ridiculous. The drecreased encounter rate only accentuates the problem. I noticed how short the distances were while playing for the first time, and I didn't even know about the original version.

Also:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18648

>DQIVDS/DWIV(NES):
>the DS World Map is about 15-25% smaller than the NES map

>DQVDS/DQV(SFC)
>World Map is about 15-25% smaller

> DQVIDS/DQVI(SFC)
>World Map is about 15-25% smaller

I'm not the only one that's seeing "illusions". There are a few more sites where people say the same thing. It's definitely real.

I'm pretty sure that the DQ2 remakes make the world smaller too, but it still feels big. I didn't even notice it while playing.
>>
>>3346895
Diagonal movement nigga. It helps.
>>
File: Kf8Njl6.jpg (167 KB, 1199x915) Image search: [Google]
Kf8Njl6.jpg
167 KB, 1199x915
>>3346834
Play them in order and avoid all the remakes. It's the best way to experience the series for the first time. I regret playing all the watered down remakes before the originals. My first experience with half of them wasn't as good as it could have been. And when I played the originals, I already knew everything about the games, so I didn't get to play them blind.

Some people may tell you it's better to play the remakes first, but they don't seem to understand anything about game balance. Seriously, don't listen to them.

Play 1-4 on NES, 5 and 6 on SNES and 7 on PS1. You may be tempted to drop 1 near the end and may need a guide for 2, but they are still slightly better than the remakes. The rest of the games are much better than their remakes and the original 3 is a lot more enjoyable if you played the original 1 and 2. Playing it after the remakes of 1 and 2 makes the game look old and dated even though it's perfectly playable.

If you don't care about enjoying the series in the best possible way and just want to play the game that best represents it, play 4 first. It's probably the best game in the series and the first few chapters can be seen as a tutorial. You start with a soldier, then you get a healer, a fighter, a couple of mages... I suggest you start with 1 and play in order, though.
>>
>>3346918
I know, but the world map is literally smaller and it does feel small when you play the game. There is no excuse for this.
>>
File: 1451746335949.png (144 KB, 767x720) Image search: [Google]
1451746335949.png
144 KB, 767x720
Terry is a miracle of the universe.
>>
>>3346834
V or VIII, both on PS2. Ignore people telling you to play the original older games. You're being trolled. The remakes of I - IV reduce grinding present in the originals.
>>
File: 1467514635850.jpg (187 KB, 447x500) Image search: [Google]
1467514635850.jpg
187 KB, 447x500
>>3347048
Only 1 and 2 have grinding. The remakes of 3, 4, 5 and 6 ruin the pacing and make the games completely forgettable.

I'm not a troll, but sadly you aren't one either. You are just ignorant and don't know what you are talking about.

I don't know why I bother warning people about the mediocrity of the DS remakes. They never listen anyway.
>>
File: 2273237-dq6barba4.jpg (43 KB, 418x584) Image search: [Google]
2273237-dq6barba4.jpg
43 KB, 418x584
The daughter of Calberona is cute! CUTE!
>>
File: 1464248891389.jpg (402 KB, 1500x800) Image search: [Google]
1464248891389.jpg
402 KB, 1500x800
>>3347085
III sfc is the best version of the game you chucklefuck, I agree on the DS remakes.
>>
>>3347094
I don't like the English in the DS remakes. If you know runes, IV on the PS1 is probably a good option. I've heard horror stories about the NES version's AI. Maybe I'll try it someday since I played the DS version of IV as my first DQ. It was in runes because I wanted party chat. I followed that up with V in runes because I thought "why not?" Then I played VI in English because I wanted a break. Reading in your second language is hard work.
>>
>>3347091
Moonbrooke and Maribel are better.
>>
>>3346834
IV on NES is the best for a begginner. Then play V and the remakes of 1&2 on the SNES. All three use the same engine. Then play III and VI on SNES. Again, they use the same engine. This way the graphics keep getting better, you play the trilogies in order and don't have to deal with the DS versions.

>>3347105
The AI actually makes the game better. People just don't give it a chance and use codes. Don't believe everything you hear.
>>
>>3347085
How do the DS games ruin the pacing ? I haven't played the NES versions but I don't get what's wrong. You make progress nicely, the maps are nice, and there's just enough that you don't know to make you feel satisfied when you make progress. Care to explain ?
>>
>>3347115
I like how the AI in later games speeds up the pace of random battles. You're right that I never gave IV NES's a chance. Maybe I'll try it sometime. Right now I'm finishing up III.
>>
>>3347139
I explained it in detail in he past few threads. You cand search for them on Warosu.

If you enjoyed them, you probably won't agree with me. I'm only warning new players. DQIV DS was my first game and I enjoyed it, but it felt kind of mediocre. That's terrible because the original is one of the best games on the Nes. I think people with the same taste as me would enjoy the original games a lot more, that's why I don't like how people automatically recommend the remakes as if they are objetively better for any kind of player. They are not.
>>
>>3347156
I quickly skimmed through the past two threads, and I don't know if it was you talking about the music and graphics, but they're exactly the problems I have with the NES versions. I don't like how flashy everything looks, and I really like the graphical tone of the DS ports. Guess it's just a matter of taste.
And I'm too accustomed to games with really good music for NES standards like the Megaman games, Journey to Silius, and I'm a huge Tim Follin cocksucker, so that's that, to be able to enjoy DQ1-4 NES's tracks. They're just too... bland. They could use a bass line or something, they feel weak and they just don't work with me. Zoma's theme is probably the only exception.
I'll dig a bit deeper in older threads to find out what you (?) say about the pacing, but I don't really see how the pacing can be ruined if the game's the same, aside from the random battles being longer or shorter, or more or less hints being given to you as to what to do next.
>>
>>3347164
Same guy, reread the threads and saw what you said about pacing.
I honestly don't think that's much of a problem, it's all a matter of how you play. Whenever you know how to deal with a DQ game, you know how to beat them all, quite frankly, aside from 1 and 2 for smaller party reasons. And I don't mind grinding, or even a long grinding session, but needing to grind before doing every single thing just feels like a chore. Making actual progress at a steady pace with just a bit of monster slaying here and there to gain a level or two to make sure you're not lagging behind is just what should be needed imo. Again, blah blah different views and opinions etc.
>>
>>3347175
I don't know, I just don't like the pacing of the remakes. Alena's chapter is my favorite whenever I play the NES version, but I breezed through it in the remake even though I talked to everyone and did everything. The altered monster stats, increased experience gains, the upper screen that trivializes dead ends in dungeons and weapons from later games that feel overpowered in older games... just make everything go by too fast. And I personally find the modern graphics boring.

Good for you if you enjoy them, though.
>>
>>3347164
The music in 4 doesn't sound bland at all. It's as complex as the music in Zoma's battle.
>>
You're just making up excuses to hate the remakes now.
Just stop.
>>
>>3347361
Never!
>>
>>3347139
Basically, enemies have around 80% of the health and give 120% of the experience compared to their original counterparts. It's nothing that major, if anything it reduces the grind in the game.

I don't get the remake hate personally, they're all good games. Some people here act like not playing at all is preferable to the remakes.
>>
>>3347603
How much did the American releases change compared to the Japanese originals? Wasn't that something like 25% more XP?
>>
>>3347624
Not sure. I don't know if this 120% exp is based on the increased exp from the western versions of the originals or not either
>>
File: sofia2.jpg (158 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
sofia2.jpg
158 KB, 750x1000
Find a flaw.
>>
>>3347767
It's not the NES sprite, so that one shitposter is going to hate it
>>
>>3345381
DQM breeding is quite a bit more elaborate... Like you breed two and two slimes four times, then breed two and two of their offspring, and finally by breeding the two resulting slimes with four slime ancestors you get a king. Now make that metal slimes.

For the complex monsters you should look up a guide unless you want to grind forever.
>>
>>3347767
asymmetric
>>
>>3347767
not busy sucking dicks.
>>
>>3347767
Extremely hairy pussy.
>>
>>3347884
>current year
>not appreciating a THICC bush
>>
>>3347879
>Heroine
>not always busy sucking dicks
>>
>>3347767
I don't like the hairstyle
>>3347936
>Kiryl Ragnar and Alena fighting over who the girls fuck next
>>
File: IMG_20160710_011816.jpg (54 KB, 564x413) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_011816.jpg
54 KB, 564x413
>>3347953
Alena doesn't like girls that way.
>>
>>3347995
Oh, of course, I bet you have an explanation for Alena winning the tournament to win the right to marry the princess then?
>>
>>3347995
Alena is a carpet muncher!
>>
>>3348003
She just wanted to beat the shit out of some people.
>>
>>3347936
never noticed Maya copping a feel before

stop, that's your sister
>>
I've been playing DQ3 SFC on and off (mostly off) with my brother for the last few years, and I was hoping someone could tell me roughly how far into the game we are at this point.

Last big boss I can remember defeating was Orochi, and we're going around collecting orbs at the moment. Last thing we did was the hero's solo test of courage in Lancel and getting the blue(?) orb from there.

Are we roughly around halfway? Closer towards the end?
>>
>>3348094
Probably around the middle. After the orbs there's still quite a bit of game.
>>
>>3348095
Thanks mate, good to know. We should probably speed up a bit then, to get through it before the end of the decade.

Game's real fun though!
>>
>>3348003
She wanted to fight people and she was doing it with the princess because the princess knew that two girls couldn't get married in Endor.
>>
>>3346964
Why was TERRY of all people the hero of a cute monster game?
>>
>>3348125
probably in reference to how he easily tamed Lizzie
>>
>>3348131
Ohhhh.

That actually makes sense. I suppose he's pretty popular too. That being said, Carver got into Fortune Street over him. I guess they figured he was too similar to Angelo?
>>
>>3348139
he's too much of an edgelord for a "fun" game like Itadaki Street
>>
File: Dragon Quest III001.png (28 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III001.png
28 KB, 256x224
>>3348154
I guess so.

Everytime I play DQIII I never finish and I never know why. This time, I'm gonna play it through. I forgot how cool the intro was. No excuses, no file fuck ups. I gotta beat this game.
>>
File: 1467904912464.jpg (161 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1467904912464.jpg
161 KB, 768x1024
>>3346335
thx

>>3347767
not pure enough
>>
>>3348164
I like Ortega's story. And Loto's.
>>
>>3346723
>The directional pad feels awkward because I have to keep moving my thumb.
You are the only person to ever have this problem. Just get used to it. If you map the controls to patch the Playstation controller layout you will get comfortable with it in no time.

No offense bruv, but you're a real whiner.
>>
>>3348743
>Loto finally meets his father Ortega at the end of the game
>Ortega has amnesia, and is also killed then and there
Why does Dragon Quest have to be so fucking sad
>>
>>3348772
For some reason this is a pretty common thing in some NES titles. The same thing happens in the first Ninja Gaiden. I suppose they want the father to be both motivation to go on your quest and closure.
>>
So I have only played 6 and 9 a couple of years ago.

Should I pick these games up again?
>>
>>3348772
>Ortega has amnesia,
What? He literally (new definition) says 'if you ever go to my village tell my son he's an alright chap'. Nothing wrong with his memories, it's his eyes that have gone to pot.
>>
>>3348812
Oh my god yes.
You haven't even played the best ones.

>>3348819
He recovers his memories as he dies. He arrived in Alefgard with amnesia, but still set off to help set things right. A real fucking hero, he was.
But still, you're right. There wasn't anything wrong with his memory when you caught up with him.
>>
>>3348823
>the best ones
what are they?
>>
>>3348824
III, IV, V, and VIII
>>
>>3348825
Cool, I'm still playing through Chrono Trigger right now, cant wait to add these to the list.
>>
>>3348772
Horii just loves making people cry.
I mean there's DQ5 as a whole but even without that all of them has a great level of sadness. But what is great about it is that it always lingers long enough. Unlike a lot of JRPG that just tries to shock you with something sad and right after does something goofy.
>>
I'm playing the ds port of DQ4 and I have to admit, the accents are not as bad as I expected. The accents aren't good, mind you. I am at the chapter with alena and the accents there are bearable, whereas the ones with Ragnar were terrible and at times almost unreadable
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 680x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 680x376
>>3348772
>that entire dread realm sequence in VI
>>
>>3349158
People love saying DQ5 is the saddest Dragon Quest. And while because it's more personal you feel like it has more weight DQ7 goes fucking depressing at times.
>>
Ok, so I managed to find a comfortable way to play DWVII with the keyboard.

I'm loving the game so far, it could easily become my favorite in the series. This series has been the king of NPC interaction, but this is something else. I genuinely care about them, especially the old guy that lives on the cliff and the silly old dude in Engow that loves festivals. He says some hilarious things. I hope it keeps getting better and better.

I didn't find the intro to be as long as people say. I talked to everyone multiple times, tried to explore absolutely everything and found some really obscure lines of dialogue and scenes that made me laugh... But I was surprised when I got to the first battle, since I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. It didn't take that long at all, people are crazy.

I'm in the volcano. How far into the game am I, excluding postgame stuff? 5%? Keep in mind I speak to every person again everytime something happens and always use the party chat. I hope it really is as long as people say.
>>
>>3346732
yeah they did. I'm playing the remake right now and there's quite literally no puzzle, you just stand on a couple of tile-squares or whatever. Apparently japs hated the puzzles in the ps1 game so squeenix took the criticism to heart...
>>
>>3349627
Not that far in actually. Once you unlock the Job System you are about 1/4 of the way in. The game is about 100+ hours. I think the problem is that people felt the puzzle in the dungeon felt long and tedious which adds to the length to people.
>>
>>3349627
>talking to everyone everytime something happens
>always using party chat
You will look just like one of those old guys by the time you reach the final boss.
>>
>>3349632
Wow, that sucks. I'm glad the original is still playable.

I heard the remake had orchestrated music in the Japanese version but they had to make the songs shorter or something. That sounds awful too.

I hope the japs find a way to replace the songs with the PS1 versions.
>>
>>3346335
>http://shmuplations.com/kiyahorii/
"Kiya: It would hugely expand the kinds of roles peopple could play. Maybe you want to play the old guy who runs the inn in that town, or you could run a weapons and armor store. There’d be so much more freedom.

Horii: Yeah, and there would be rivalries between players. They could fight each other, exchange information… it would be great. Now I really want to make a networked RPG!"

I always love reading old interviews that you know they wrote something down and keep for later. Like how in a interview for Super Mario World Shigeru Miyamoto said something like "maybe some day Mario will have a metal hat!"
>>
>>3349146
Yeah, Ragnar's is the worse. Every region in game has a different accent, which would be interesting if most of them weren't annoying to read. Luckily most of the endgame areas don't have accents.
>>
File: dqsoundtrack.jpg (148 KB, 650x321) Image search: [Google]
dqsoundtrack.jpg
148 KB, 650x321
Opinions on the Dragon Quest animes /vr/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RawWxn4eAgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fMXxpw-JmQ
>>
>>3350438
Dai no daibouken was pretty good, but it never finished airing in my country. They stopped when Dai finds his father.
>>
Going to start the series, should I play the first games of the series on the NES, the SNES or the GBC?
>>
>>3350526
Why don't you read the thread? Three people have asked the same thing already.
>>
File: 1448279533187.png (1 MB, 800x1107) Image search: [Google]
1448279533187.png
1 MB, 800x1107
>>3350526
Puristshiters will tell you NES, or if their super elitists the famicom version, but do the SNES/SFC remake. Do note, I and II are pretty rough around the edges, even the remakes but to a lesser degree, and don't represent the best of the series. If you feel they are too much skip them for later. III, IV, V, and VIII are considered the best of the series so if you aren't liking I try one of those.
>>
>>3350526
The later versions are a bit more polished. DQ1 on NES is pretty rough.

I mean, they're all good games, but you're more likely to enjoy the remakes.
>>
>>3350551
>>3350563
So, the remakes to avoid are the DS ones, right?
>>
>>3350580
No, they're good.
>>
File: 640px-DQIV_Group.png (813 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
640px-DQIV_Group.png
813 KB, 640x482
>>3350580
Questionable, if you can read nip they're pretty good. The translations are kinda spotty but they're still recommended. For V I reccomend the PS2 version. For IV I have to say the DS remake is the best option for English only speakers. I'm actually playing IV NES at the moment and might have to say I recommend the DS version over it, I only just started chapter 5 so my opinion isn't completely formed yet. For IV either version is fine, up to you really. I haven't played VI but I almost universally hear the DS version is the best option.
>>
>>3350598
Wait a minute, Solo and Sophia can't exist at the same time!
>>
>Morris
>Female
Hmm..
>>
File: MetalKing.png (2 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
MetalKing.png
2 KB, 160x144
>>3347857
Actually, I ended up breeeding one anyways, due to lucking my way in to a MetalDrak and already having a KingSlime

She's beautiful, but a pain in the ass to actually level up like most metal slimes
>>
>Sugiyama denies the Rape of Nanking ever happened

wat
>>
>>3345489
>playing caravan heart
You poor bastard.
>>
We all cheat at the casinos right?
>>
Interesting prototype sprites of the heroes of DQII. The prince of cannock is the most facinating, he appears to be a cat person. Perhaps we could've lived in a world where DQ had animal people. Of course years later we saw a JRPG with both humans and animal people, breath of fire.
>>
>>3350753
He kinda reminds me of Spurdo

Moonbrook looks like she's wearing the robes of the Sorcerer enemies
>>
File: 55-3.png (87 KB, 415x186) Image search: [Google]
55-3.png
87 KB, 415x186
>>3350762
The face kinda reminded me of the old madcot of toei.
>>
>>3350745
It's not that bad. It was a little tough at the start because of low funds for rations, but two merchants fixed that problem right up.
>>
>>3350749
i skip them. pachisi on the other hand
>>
>>3350839
THICC
>>
>>3350598
>For IV I have to say the DS remake is the best option for English only speakers.
The best option is to stop being English only speakers.
Learning Japanese with DQ is fun.
>>
>>3350749
I started playing the NES version of 3 for the first time. I was just save state cheating the monster arenas, then I stated to alter the ram directly to give the monster with the worst odds a bunch of extra hp.

Then I got sick of my level 15 goof-off, so I adjusted her level to be 20 so I could change her class.
>>
>>3350858
>I was just save state cheating the monster arenas

Doesn't it eventually give you an unwinnable bet? I remember running into this with savestates too, the monster I picked would always lose even if the previous state had it winning.

The arena cheats.
>>
>>3350862
I never ran into that. But I didn't do it for too long.
>>
>>3350858
>>3350878
I use save states in IV for the double or nothing. Metal babble shields and meteroite braclets are helpful.
>>
>>3350858
Why do people cheat in the casino? "Winning" overpowered gear just sucks the fun out of the game, especially in DQV. You may as well play with cheat codes.

You are supposed to waste all your money and still lose half the time unless you are extremely lucky.
>>
>>3350878
I think it kicks in after 3-4 rounds.
>>
>>3350887
IV NES is probably the only game where you can actually win at the casino without cheating with savestates and shit. Unlimited double or nothing is great.
>>
>>3350893
I might look into that.
I started using FCEUX's cheat function to lock the monsters HP to a non-zero value. This didn't seem to cause issues.
>>
>>3350896
Yeah but that takes time, I'm fine grinding but to have a good run fucked over by RNG pisses me off more then anything.
>>
>>3350890
The NES and SNES ones are hard enough where honestly even with the best gear a single encounter can still kill most/all of your party unexpectedly.
>>
>>3350905
If you win, great. If you lose, just move on with the game. That's how I see it. You don't really need that stuff.

It's like using save states in dungeons so you don't lose half your money. There is no excitement or sense of danger.

I only use savestates sometimes to avoid accidentally talking to the correct person and triggering a scene that changrs everyone else's dialogue before I can talk to them. That pisses me off in a lot of rpgs.
>>
>>3350914
I never use save states in dungeons, ever. That's bullshit. I typically only use save states in games with no save options.
>>
>>3350923
I only use states for the casino because if I were on console I'd jsut savescum until I could win.
>>
File: Mimic.png (4 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
Mimic.png
4 KB, 160x144
>yfw
>>
>>3350961
>Playing Dragon Quest Monsters
I feel sorry for you
>>
>>3351001
Does /vr/ hate Monsters now? Just a few months ago it was everyone's favorite GB RPG.
>>
>>3350928
That takes significantly longer.
I normally avoid gambling because time spend there is normally better invested in more interesting spots. The main exception I made was getting the Falcon Sword at the beginning of the fifth chapter in IV because it felt like it would take a long time to get something that great.
>>
>>3351009
No, just that guy. You think we hate it just because one guy said that?
>>
>>3350961
Thwhack!
>>
>>3351009
There are far better rpgs on gb
>>
>>3349173
> DQ7 goes fucking depressing at times.
Robot keeps making soup. ;_;
>>
>>3350598
DQ4 NES isn't that bad. Grinding is annoying with the start of each chapter but because each chapter is so different from each other I didn't mind it that much. And by 4 they made it so grinding wasn't that bad. Even giving nice metal slime spots in Alena's chapter.

The only real improvement I can actually think of between the NES and DS versions is the AI.
>>
File: IMG_0416.gif (7 KB, 130x142) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0416.gif
7 KB, 130x142
>>3350961
>>
>>3351009
I love the DQM games, but there are better GB RPGs
>>
>>3351117
Like what? No remakes please.
>>
>>3351119
Not him but I really enjoyed the SaGa games.
>>
>>3351119
FFL/SaGa
River King
Metal Walker
Lufia
>>
File: chiyo_wha.jpg (18 KB, 193x255) Image search: [Google]
chiyo_wha.jpg
18 KB, 193x255
>>3351130
>River King
>>
>>3351134
Yeah, it's a bit tangential, but still one of my favorites.

At least I didn't put Mario Golf on there like I had considered.
>>
>>3351138
But I fuckin love Mario Golf.
double standards GO!
>>
This game is incredible. Everything about that weird furry town was hilarious. I wish I had done it after Gabo learned how to talk. I'm 21 hours in and I just got to Falrod.

I thought I would despise Gabo when I first met him, because I fucking HATE characters like Ayla or Gau that just keep talking like cavemen and never say anything interesting. But now that he can talk, he is slowly becoming my favorite character.

By the way, why the hell is everything so expensive? I can only buy a couple of shitty armors before I run out of money, the enemies barely drop any gold, and the inns are really expensive too. Am I supposed to be extremely poor until later in the game?
>>
File: 439771-ortega.png (7 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
439771-ortega.png
7 KB, 256x224
>>3348164
The battle between Ortega and the dragon was better in the NES version. He cuts the dragon's wing and stabs his heart, but the dragon drags him into the volcano and you hear some weird cry. The SNES and GBC versions of the battle are kind of cringeworthy because they repeat the same animations twice (Ortega stepping on the lava and throwing fire balls).

It's a shame that the NES scene is not in the Japanese version. I think it didn't even have a title screen. They really improved the English versions of the first three games.
>>
>>3351680
Gold picks up around/after Dharma. You'll then have the casino and just enemies drop more of it.
>>
>>3351680
I wonder how they'll translate that line in the remake. It will probably be censored, the cat pun will be less bold and the girl will have a shitty accent.

It won't be nearly as funny as the original line.
>>
>>3351680
Gabo is funny because he thinks like an innocent animal and doesn't understand many things, but he speaks like a normal person. Imagine if you dog could talk and ask questions. It would be great!

I hope they don't make him talk like some illiterate feral child in the remake. That would make his lines annoying to read.
>>
>>
>>3351707
First made the graphics better. And I've heard the EXP and Gold is slightly improved but I don't really know about that.

Two had the whole opening with the destruction of the castle.

And three had that.

It's sad how much Horii seem to want the west to love his games but people kept not caring.
>>
File: 250px-Dragonwarrior7cover[1].jpg (23 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
250px-Dragonwarrior7cover[1].jpg
23 KB, 250x237
I'm starting VII for the first time, previously i have played from 1 to 5. What can i expect?

For now, the 3D change makes everything harder. It is a refreshing change, but i don't like it.
>>
>>3351790
The only real problem with DQ7 is that you can miss shards and it just becomes annoying backtracking (both present and past towns) finding it. There's a fortune teller that tells you things but it does become annoying when it happens. Other than that the game is great.

Wonder how the 3DS localization will handle things since they PSX seem to have a lot of sex jokes. As you can see in the images above your post.
>>
>>3351790
>the 3D change makes everything harder
What do you mean? I started it a few days ago too.

Exploring towns is harder because there's so much shit to find everywhere. There are sacks hanging from the walls that you can only see from a certain perspective and things like that. But I'm loving the game.

If you are having problems with the emulator, I recommend PSXfin. You don't have to find plugins or configure anything, it's great. There is no way to "improve" the graphics, but you get used to them after a while. They look perfectly fine.
>>
>>3351810
How can you possibly miss shard if you explore absolutely everything? Are there shards that you just won't find without a guide or something?

I'm the kind of guy that talks to everyone again after every little change, keeps visiting the towns in the past to see if anything changed (Past Rexwood changed a couple of times and I don't know what triggered it or if I could have missed it) and talks to every person in Estard and Fishbel just in case Gabo says something interesting.

I talked to every person in Engow a few times during the festival. Their dialogue changed after the mayor gave them torches and some of them really grew on me because of that. It may be kind of tedious for some people, but I think this is the best way to play the game. You get all the running jokes, find obscure scenes and using party chat all the time makes you very attached to the characters.

You won't remember 90% of the things Kiefer and Maribel said after a while, but your impression of them changes permanently after certain lines even if you don't remember them. That's the best thing about party chat. It shapes your perception of the characters with mostly forgettable lines and jokes. Horii is a genius.

Anyway, will I really miss a few shards even if I play like this?
>>
>>3351841
ProTip: Not everyone explores absolutely everything.
>>
>>3351707
>>3351772
I'm surprised they didn't release an improved version in Japan until the SFC release of I+II in 1993.
>>
>>3351841
I find party chat overwhelming. The characters react to events that you could have done before recruiting them. They even react to the fortune teller's hints, even though they change every time you do something to advance the plot and will probably miss most of them. The joke about Maribel's indigestion was nice.

Seriously, party chat is insane in this game. They can react to something a priest or a shopkeeper said, which means you have to close the menu and talk to them. Sometimes your characters ask you questions that they will never repeat again after you answer.

Also, it's more simple than in the DS remakes, where the characters react to absolutely everything even if it's just some uninspired dumb comment. The characters in VII only talk when they have something to say. They almost never react to animals. There are characters that Kiefer won't say anything about, but Maribel will. Whenever they say something, it's worth listening to.

The "talk" command in battle is insane too. It's more repetitive, but they react to every individual thing you do, like using a certain item, healing them, changing their tactics, status effects, critical hits... Fuck. It's mindblowing to think that all this characterization isn't documented anywhere.

God, this game is huge.
>>
>>3351859
I know. I'm just taking my time because this is the last true DQ game for me. 8 looks very... modern and everything after that is shit.

I don't want to rush through the game. I spent so long in the volcano town that I felt part of it. I really felt like I had been there for two days and enjoyed the festival. If you just rush through the whole thing, it doesn't feel like you are really traveling the world. The NPCs and their little stories are the best thing about this series after all. Things like that old lady in Engow that was pretending to be sick and couldn't participate in the festival... I really enjoy that stuff and how they say different things every time.

I also love throwing bottles, glasses and other things in this game, instead of breaking them with my mind. There is no point in doing it, you never get anything out of breaking a wine bottle. But it's really fun to destroy Hondara's bottle collection. It makes the character feel even more like a hobo version of Link.
>>
>>3351885
But 8's one of the best in the series.
>>
Quick question on DQIV on NES. Right now in chapter 5 and surprised how competent the AI is but wanted to ask, I have basically exclusively used "normal" and "offensive", should I try other options or stick with these?

>>3351680
>>3351727
>>3351814
>>3351841
>>3351869
Man you guys are really making me want to play VII. I was going to start it but when I found out tbe 3DS version is coming to the US I decided to wait for it.
>>
>>3351903
"Use No MP" or whatever its called is useful if you want to use Kiryl as an attacker or everyone is full on HP so you'd rather he not waste time buffing in a random battle.
>>
File: 14518146j78735.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
14518146j78735.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1200
>>3351891
I will eventually play it and see for myself. I hope it's good, but it doesn't look very interesting. I think the orchestrated soundtrack, the punny translation, the magic power stat (???), the loading times between battles caused by the localization staff messing with the code, the lack of the spell casting sound effect, and the problems with PS2 emulation in general (I heard something about flashbacks crashing the game and invisible shadows) will make it less enjoyable than the previous games.

I also think Level5 is a shit tier developer that shouldn't have been involved with the series. I think they were better when they made DQ8, though.

But I'm looking forward to playing it. I don't think it will become one of my favorites, but it'll probably be good.
>>
>>3345287
Just buy a used 2DS, they're dirt cheap. You might even find other RPGs to your liking. I'd advise you to jailbreak it but I'm not sure if it works with 2DS.
>>
File: DQVDS_-_Metal_slime_knight.png (558 KB, 740x1040) Image search: [Google]
DQVDS_-_Metal_slime_knight.png
558 KB, 740x1040
I don't know why I like the slime design so much. That and the DQM series triggers my OCD so badly.
>>
>>3351926
Isn't 3DS emulation making advances?
>>
>>3351936
Yeah, but god knows when it's going to be ready. The 2DS is just too cheap (in america at least) to pass up, especially if you can jailbreak it.
>>
>>3351936
In the same way that xbox emulation is, sure.
>>
>>3351908
I feel the same, from what I've seen of VIII doesn't look so interesting. Character designs other then Yangus and Trode look kinda generic. Also from the footage I've seen it looks like cutscene are more rampant, something I don't feel fits DQ. My biggest concern if the battle system , it seem pretty simplified. From what I can tell your party of only four is the standard of jrpgs, balanced hero, offesive mage, the slow but strong guy, and the defensive mage. I've played I-V only and enjoyed how different they are. I had a single character and II gave you party, pretty standard but these were the originals. From III on it gets interesting. In III you get to male a party of various classes, this is great and encourages replayability. In IV you know have access to all these classes at once and have to manage them, again having a system of customization. I know technically you could this III but who is honestly going to use more then their starting four characters? V introduced monster collecting and made making parties fun. I haven't play VI or VII yet but I know they have the class system to allow for customization. I will eventally play VIII but its not one I'm anxious to play.
>>
File: Dragon Quest III004.png (22 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III004.png
22 KB, 256x224
The text box in that corner is kinda screwy. Is this the most recent patch or am I using the wrong version?
>>
>>3351903
I use offensive most of the time. Normal is more balanced, because they will heal a half dead character instead of mindlessly attacking the enemy, but I like offensive more. You can change the tactics every turn anyway.

No MP is good if you want to go straight to the boss after you have already explored the dungeon. It will take longer to kill enemies if your mages don't use spells, which means that you will lose more HP, but you can heal with herbs.

Defensive can make physical characters parry and will make Cristo use upper to increase defense. I'm not sure what else it does.

Try out makes them use items and spells they would never use otherwise. But it's pretty random. The good part is that they can learn from this and use those spells more often under other AI settings if they are effective against certain enemies.

The AI has certain "disadvantages" that some people dislike, but I actually like them. For example, Alena will often parry when her HP is very low instead of destroying the enemy and ending the battle. It's stupid, but I think it's more realistic and gives Alena a bit of personality.

Brey will barely use buffs unless you have him "try them out" and he learns that they can be useful. But they are incredibly broken anyway, so it's for the best.

Actually, it's better if nobody ever casts bikill on Alena, so I'm glad Brey never does. I'm not sure if this is true for all the games in the series, but I'm pretty sure bikill makes it impossible to get a critical hit.

The AI does very smart things sometimes. Mara will automatically cast Bedragon when you encounter metal slimes, which is really nice. It totally wrecks them.

It's a shame that Bedragon doesn't affect metal slimes anymore from V onwards. The main character's best exclusive weapon is a staff that casts Bedragon for free. He's the only hero in the series that canonically has the power to turn into a dragon. That's awesome. Why isn't there any fanart of him turning into a dragon?
>>
File: 2273238-dq6magicn.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
2273238-dq6magicn.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
>>3351948
Why did you skip VI? It's a love it or hate it kind of game, but it's really good.

It's actually my favorite in the series. Not the best, but my favorite.
>>
>playing DQ6
>the hero is a typical DQ hero, good with swords, able to use magic, main healer early game and emergency healer late game
>paladin and warrior-mage don't unlock hero

>playing DQ7
>the hero is a fisherman's son
>sailor and pirate are dead end vocations and a waste of time

WHY?
>>
>>3351952
What emulator are you using?
>>
>>3351975
Didn't skip it just haven't gotten around to it. Since VI is your favorite, and you seem real passionate about it if you're the VIfag from last thread, I trust your advice on this, should I go snes/sfc fan translation or ds?
>>
>>3351987
On that subject, is the Hero class necessary for the MC, or can I make him a Paladin with no problems?
>>
File: Dragon Quest III005.png (14 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III005.png
14 KB, 256x224
>>3351992
SNES9x

I dunno much about class changing, but I figure Thief to Sage should work well. Priest is good all the time, and I might make the Fighter into a Soldier to have great stats + actual equipment.
>>
>>3352007
Try Higan Balanced or Accuracy.
>>
File: ShienaBazaar.png (160 KB, 271x251) Image search: [Google]
ShienaBazaar.png
160 KB, 271x251
>>3352003
You mean in DQ6? No, you don't need to make him a Hero. You could actually beat the game without any classes at all, but it would be insanely hard.

Hero is really good, because you get amazing skills and spells, great stats, the usual super expensive healing spell that fully heals the entire party, etc. You also get a passive "ability" while you are in the Hero class that basically heals you every turn. I think the percentage of HP it heals increases as you level up the class, but I'm not sure.

My problem is that there are four classes you need to master to unlock the hero class (the actual hero only has to master one of them). But none of them really fit the hero. And the classes that fit him the most don't unlock it.

I usually make him a gladiator, but it feels weird because you have to master martial artist first. It makes the hero feel like a poor man's Hassan. Sometimes I make him a paladin or a warrior-mage, but that means he has to spend a few hours as a pussy wizard that keeps dying and then I have to grind like hell if I want to unlock hero before the final boss.
>>
File: Dragon Quest III006.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III006.png
8 KB, 256x224
>>3352009
higan still has it. Regardless, it seems to only happen at the start, as it works fine now.
>>
>>3352007
>Fighter into a Soldier
The fighters have an insane critical hit ratio that just gets higher as they level up. By the end of the game, the chance of them scoring a critical hit is around 1/4 or 1/3. Remember Alena? They are insanely good and will half the enemies before they can even move.

Soldiers are slow and can't function without expensive weapons and armor. The only game where I use a soldier is IV because Ragnar is badass.
>>
>>3351987
I'm still making my hero a sailor (and maybe a pirate) because it fits him.

...How many hours will I have to grind to make up for that?
>>
>>3352020
Is there no translation that uses the original names like Hoimi for the spells?
>>
why the frigg do they keep making the games for shitty handhelds?
>>
>>3352038
Handhelds are popular in Japan
>>
>>3352039
and 8 is the highest selling dq ever, on the ps2
>>
>>3352041
And the next one is being made on PS4 and 3DS

and handhelds are straight up bigger than consoles in Japan
>>
>>3352001
I'm the same guy. Nobody else seems to love DQVI for some reason.

Go with the SFC fan translation, but make sure to read the past threads to know how to avoid a couple of bugs. The game looks absolutely stunning, the NPC sprites are colorful and interesting, the translation is pretty decent... It's really good.

The DS remake isn't as bad as the others. The pacing is different form the original, but still enjoyable. My problem with it is that the music sounds worse, the graphics make the game look like a DQ7 hack and one of the most "plot important" spells in the game was nerfed to the point of being basically useless. Oh, and the translation... It's not as bad with the accents, but they still manage to ruin a few towns. The tasteless puns on the other hand are out of control.
>>
>>3351952
It does that when you're alone. As soon as you've got some party members, it'll fix itself. It's weird, but it won't break anything.
The latest patch is 1.1, btw.
>>
>>3352001
>>3352003
By the way, the class system doesn't really alter your stats. It's nothing like in DQ3. A character with the soldier class doesn't gain more strength when he levels up or anything like that. A character's "real" stats are simply increased or decreased by a certain percentage depending on the class.

For example, if you level up a mage and the game says that he gained 8 points in MP, it's not really true. He probably gained 3 or 4 MP points, the game is just taking into account the stat alterations of the Mage class to avoid confusing the player.

So don't be afraid to experiment with the class system, it won't screw up your real stats in any way.
>>
>>3352007
>>3352007
I used that VERY same party, class, genders, even order. Here's my advice.

You are fine keeping your fighter and theif as they are, they were useful throughout.

For your priest have her change into a sage at level 24. At level 24 she will learn vivify, changing her into a sage reverts her to level 1.
>>
File: Dragon Quest III007.png (11 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III007.png
11 KB, 256x224
>>3352070
>not changing the thief

I ain't letting that godly MP stat go to waste
>>
Is playing DQ3 doable solo, or am I required to have party members at some point?
>>
>>3352078
Fair enough, I recommend changing your priest first at least.

Seriously though the fighter, especially a female one with boosted stats, is fine as is.
>>
File: Dq3-thief.jpg (38 KB, 302x451) Image search: [Google]
Dq3-thief.jpg
38 KB, 302x451
>>3352078
>using the thief
Hero, fighter, wizard > sage and priest is all you need. Also, the thieves are ugly as sin. Have you seen their artwork?
>>
>>3352080
Also which version is less of a hassle to solo, on a quality of life basis, not actual difficulty.
>>
>>3352080
Probably the remakes are doable with INSANE grinding but I imagine it being brutal. Are you trying to do a challenge run? You could try using all shit classes like the merchant or goof off for the entirety of the game.
>>
>>3352085
Nah I'm >>3352070 and agree, design wise they are not that great. Still DQIII is great in that making different combinations of parties is fun.
>>
>>3352080
It's definitely doable in the remakes. Many bosses regenerate certain amounts of HP in the NES version every single turn, making them nearly impossible to kill if you only have the hero and need to waste turns healing.

A king somewhere gives you a special sword for your effort if you play solo. It's nice at that point of the game. Also, I believe you gain four times more experience if you don't have other party members. I think it's the only game in the series that does this.

The only person you ever NEED to recruit is a merchant that you will lose forever anywya, so you can just create him when you get to that point.
>>
File: 39d00e86.jpg (289 KB, 1163x1211) Image search: [Google]
39d00e86.jpg
289 KB, 1163x1211
>>3352007
>changing classes
You only need the sage to beat the game easily. Why would you turn your cute fighter into a warrior girl that looks nothing like her? It makes no sense and makes the characters lose their personality. I usually stick with the initial classes and make up some story to make sense of the sage transformation.

I also don't see the point in changing a soldier or a fighter into anything else. The fighter loses her broken critical hit ratio and the soldier loses his amazing equipment. The soldier's only good stats are strenght (very good) and HP (excellent). What makes the soldier great is his equipment, so there's no point in turning him into anything else.
>>
>>3352112
DQ IX also gives you 4x exp for going solo.
Also, where do you get this solo sword in DQ III? I want to play it soon and if it's good enough and early enough I may just hold off on making a party until I get it.
>>
>>3351717
It's probably an English localization original anyway, since I'm playing the 3DS game and have no memory of that line, plus there's no cat/pussy double entendre or innuendo in Japanese anyway.

Do you honestly prefer your localizations done in the 'fucks like a tiger' style, goober?
>>
File: DQIIIMartialArtistClass.png (429 KB, 647x650) Image search: [Google]
DQIIIMartialArtistClass.png
429 KB, 647x650
>>3352161
>>3352152
>remake artwork
Disgusting. Why does Toriyama always fuck up the redesigns? His DQVI artwork looked really nice, but this is absolute shit even though it was made around the same time. The only one that looks decent is the female merchant. The heroes, the fighters, the bunny girl... They all look middle aged and deformed.

His characters used to be round and cute.
>>
>>3352169
I played the official Tales of Phantasia localization (GBA) and man, I really missed not having Arche fuck like a tiger. I got GBA voice acting though.
>>
File: DQIIIMerchantClass.png (493 KB, 700x657) Image search: [Google]
DQIIIMerchantClass.png
493 KB, 700x657
>>3352169
There's nothing wrong with the "fucks like a tiger" style as long as it's genuinely funny and fits the character.
>>
>>3351926
2DS can be softmodded just like the rest, if you only don't update it to the latest firmware as soon as you get it. Please do buy DQ7 if you want to see the series ever get more western releases, though.
>>
File: DQIIIGadaboutClass.png (569 KB, 700x674) Image search: [Google]
DQIIIGadaboutClass.png
569 KB, 700x674
>>3352181
The GBA version is shit in every possible way. The PSX version ruins the battle system and makes the character sprites look ugly as fuck.

Dejap Arche is the best Arche.
>>
>>3352041
Back when consoles were relevant
>>
>>3352181
>>3352186
>>3352198
I guess it turns out that none of you actually care about 'censorship' or 'botched localizations' then, you just want lewd content in your video games.

It's alright, I'm not judging you for that, just really not enjoying all the hypocrisy.
>>
File: 1447440263659.png (784 KB, 700x910) Image search: [Google]
1447440263659.png
784 KB, 700x910
>>3352193
I don't want it to get more western releases. They will never drop the pun and accent crap. Remember what happened with IV? It got a horrible official release and nobody will ever do a fan translation because "it's already translated". The PS1 version will remain untranslated forever too, even though it's a much better game, just because it looks the same.

Fuck Square Enix.
>>
File: DQIV_Hero_Alena_and_Meena.png (926 KB, 542x800) Image search: [Google]
DQIV_Hero_Alena_and_Meena.png
926 KB, 542x800
>>3352179
>>3352186
>>3352198
Man is Toriyama's classic style good. Honestly as time went on he got worse, the style he's used since VIII looks so dull colorwise.
>>3352224
Someone is doing a "fan translation" of IV DS actually. I use quotations as all they're doing is putting the NES script on the DS version and editting some censorship. Still cool but a fan translation of IV on PS1 would be great.
>>
>>3352224
Why do you people hate the accents so much?
Is it because you're weebs?
>>
>>3352224
tfw importing master race
>>
>>3352293
'ov no probb'em wif' 'em 'akcentz!
>>
>>3352293
You actually like to see Ludman's entire character rewritten into a terrible italian stereotype?
>>
>>3352293
The localizers actually rewrite the fucking plot. Remember when ... ugh.. "Marquis de Leon" forced everyone to speak with a French accents and changed the names of all the towns? That shit never happened in the Japanese version. King Leo didn't give a shit about people's accents.

How can you defend this garbage?
>>
File: dw4_compare.png (41 KB, 513x224) Image search: [Google]
dw4_compare.png
41 KB, 513x224
>>3352293
I don't hate them as much as most people do but they are annoying and can be difficult to read.

My guess is the translators added them more to show all the characters are from different countries and while its a decent idea the execution is not great.
>>
>>3352293
The localizers seem to think that DQ games are boring and have no plot, so they have to spice them up with puns and jokes because otherwise they would be completely forgettable.

Flora's father is a guy named Ludman who lives with his family in Salabona. He seems to be jerk at first, but he grows on you after he becomes your father-in-law. He grows on you even more if you marry Bianca, because the guy pays for your wedding and gives you the shield anyway even though you didn't marry his daughter. Just because he thinks you are a great young man. His daughter is submissive and will marry anyone who brings her father the rings. Will you marry her and try to make her a stronger person or marry your childhood friend? Simple, endearing characters with defined personalities. You can't help but like them. They are memorable.

Mr Briscoletti is an italian guy who loves spaghetti and tutti-frutti in Mostroferrato (a name that clearly is some sort of pun or "meaningful name" that I fortunately don't get). He has a personality I guess. He wants someone to marry his daughter Nera, who doesn't seem to be happy with the idea but accepts anyway. But you won't really notice their personalities or character traits because you can't stop thinking of them as stereotypical italians who love tutti-frutti. It's all over their dialogue and it taints every interaction with them. It defines their character.
>>
>>3352293
Imagine DQ7 with annoying accents... The NPCs in that game are great. They manage to grow on you with just a few lines of dialogue.

You are supposed to "absorb" the information, you are supposed to instantly understand what they are saying. You can easily imagine their lives and their problems in just a couple of seconds, it's a very well written game. The NPCs are charming as fuck, some are hilarious and some make you feel bad for them.

This doesn't work at all if they have fucking annoying accents that become the most noticeable thing about them, make their dialogue more difficult to understand and take away from the meaning of what they are saying.

You are supposed to understand what they say as easily as possible, as if the meaning of their words goes directly into your mind. The especific words they use don't matter. The localizers don't seem understand this at all, because the accent crap goes completely against this philosophy.

They don't understand what makes these games so fucking good in the first place.
>>
>>3352224
>I would rather have the games not be localized at all then to be localized in a way I don't like

Aren't we selfish?

>>3352361
He says tutti-frutti like 5 times in the entire game, you're exaggerating. And he gives you the shield even if you marry Bianca in both versions, so his simple and clean character is retained.

>>3352406
I think the accents add charm. Do you really think the overworked farmer is going to speak the same as a king?
>>
>>3351869
I love talking to the characters after using a dung in battle. It's hilarious.
>>
Why even bother buying a 2ds/3ds when they never port dragon quest ix to it? It's easily the best game of the series
>>
>>3352462
DS games work on them too
>>
>>3352462
>best game in the series
>your character can't have orange hair
>>
>>3352441
God damn, your reading comprehension is absolute shit. Seriously.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 112

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.