[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
N64 emulation is great.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
N64 emulation is great.
>>
>>3336326
>Emulation
>>
There are only a handful of good games for the 64, you might as well just buy a cheap ass Japanese one, get a US power supply and a chink flash cart (or find the games at a garage sale and cut the tabs).

That's only like $50-100 if you look around. Emulation is shit and complaining about it isn't going to make the devs improve it.
>>
>>3336326
Can anyone shed any light on the technical reasons why that's happening?
>>
>>3336374
I understand what's happening (joints on the rig on Impa's model are freaking out) but not why. This was on a JP rom.
>>
File: 51CXG48YTGL._SY445_.jpg (34 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
51CXG48YTGL._SY445_.jpg
34 KB, 318x445
Would anyone want to watch a stream of this shitty JP Ocarina rom?
>>
>>3336348

Isnt there like alot of good n64 games

>zeldas
>mario 64 & kart & paper & party
>kirby
>f zero
>starfox
>smash bros
>yoshis story
>jet force gemini
>conker
>harvest moon 64
>banjo tooie
>donkey kong 64
>perfect dark
>killer instinct
>bomberman 64
>resident evil 2
>turok
>beetle racing
>diddy kong racing

List goes on anon
>>
>>3336394
>>3336374
There are two spawn points for Link in the courtyard. I believe Impa is standing in one, but her model is appearing in the other.
>>
>>3336348

When this "n64 has no games" meme began
>>
>>3336450

anti-n64 guys argue that it lacks in certain genres (which is true, stuff like shmups, fighting games or RPGs are scarce on the system), but I'm guessing the actual meme started after the PS3 "has no gaems" meme started, some memester probably translated it to retro consoles, it could also apply to the Master System I guess.

N64 has a lot of really great games, but it's true that most people only know or talk about a handful of them, such as Nintendo's 1st party stuff, but if you delve into the catalogue a bit you can find many good stuff that isn't 1st party, like Goemon, Bomberman Hero or Ogre Battle.
A lot of people also hate the N64 because it's hard to emulate, so the only solution is to buy the console - some people loathe having to spend money to play games.
>>
File: july-fourth.jpg (315 KB, 998x665) Image search: [Google]
july-fourth.jpg
315 KB, 998x665
>>3336450
My pet theory is gruntled Europeans butthurt that they chose the wrong side during the 90's. But that's because they didn't have the economy of America to afford the superior N64 and games.

Sadly, it has begun to also infest our American brethren, and the person who said that was probably American.
>>
>>3336470

But the economy was starting to boom in europe in the mid to late 90s, it wasnt until 2008-2009 till shit went rly down here, THANKS OBAMA

T. finnpoor
>>
>>3336470
Which wrong side, PC vs console? Nintendo vs Sony? I hope you don't mean Sega.

In my own experience growing up in the 90s in Northern Europe, Nintendo was clearly dominant throughout the 90s if not counting PC. Playstation was doing well too but it was not nearly as common that someone had a Playstation as a N64. Sega was absolutely nowhere to be seen, it took me until sometime around 2007 to even see a Sega console for the first time (bit of a a shame as Dreamcast seems comfy).
>>
>>3336450
lol. as someone who owned a uk n64 at launch and for several years later, the system has a lack of games. everyone always said it. magazines for the n64 were a light read. whats with the revisionist history? n64 did not have enough games, fact.
>>
>>3336532
The only revisionism is that N64 did not trounce the PS1 with quality over quantity, and that disks ever had anything cartridges that a consumer should worry about.
>>
>>3336470
I grew up with an N64, but when it comes to the games I rarely like to leave my comfort zone of Marios/Zeldas, Goldeneye and RE2, the shit I grew up with.

As an adult I generally prefer exploring the PS1 library as it's all new to me.
>>
>>3336567
Carts where a huge bottleneck for the system and where the entire reason all the third parties jumped over to the ps1.

Also had the n64 from the first Xmas it came out. Even now it has less then 20 or so games worth playing. Saturn has more than that, and ps1 has 100s of worthwhile titles
>>
>>3336567
>and that disks ever had anything cartridges that a consumer should worry about.
Except generally being cheaper and holding far more data, of course.
>>
>>3336656
>PS1 has 100s of worthwhile titles
No
>>
File: 0.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>3336656
>>3336663
Disks:

>disk rot
>can't run multiple tracks at a time. because of this, it can't transition music or sounds across environments like N64 games (BK, Zeldas, etc), which could run up to 64 channels at a time theoretically.
>load times
>"It’s getting harder to explain after the fact. (laughs) Here’s the difference between each media: CD holds a lot of data, DD holds a moderate amount of data and backs the data up, and ROMs hold the least data and process the fastest. By attaching a DD to the game console, we can drastically increase the number of possible genres. Distributing hardware that can make these new genres is a benefit of the long life of this industry. The market’s only going to shrink if there’s nothing but price drops and scale expansions for preexisting genres." - Miyamoto.

The last part is why we're stuck today with a limited range of genres unlike those that Mario Paint 64 was kind of a demo for. CD has always been a detrimental medium that should have never succeeded. It did, because Sony was right and won the long-game. Technology didn't advance as quick as Nintendo thought it would, and we're only now finally where Nintendo wanted us to be with affordable RAM storage.

This is conversely what happened when Nintendo won 7th gen over HD. The problem is, that time, Nintendo was only half-right and HD caught up quicker.
>>
>>3336656
>and ps1 has 100s of worthwhile titles

you're demential, even counting titles that are better on Saturn/PC, it's not that much.
>>
>>3336916
>Technology didn't advance as quick as Nintendo thought it would
Nintendo did fucking nothing about it.
Sega added a whole cache subsystem to the Saturn's disc drive to counter access times (used in some RPG for instance to avoid having to load menus each time you access them). Heck, with the Naomi, the whole game is dumped from a disc to the system's RAM at boot time, eliminating both the issue of load times and the need to use costly ROM chips.
>>
>>3336326
Make sure you use Mupen64. It's the most accurate emulator around!
>>
It's a shame that Wii VC never got the other handful of good N64 games because Nintendo can't access Rare's games. It would've been great.
>>
>>3337104
can't tell if you're being sarcastic

the exclamation mark makes it look like you are
>>
>>3336348
>US power supply for jap console
literally retarded
>>
>>3337229
Wii VC got all 3 Donkey Kong Country games, but they were taken down later.
>>
>>3337297
Jap console costs nothing to buy compared to US one. Just get a power supply for like $10 and dremel the tabs off, it's exactly the same thing.
>>
>>3337348
It's a shame, because the 20 or so games that the Wii VC got for N64 were mostly accurate to what could be considered as the best games on the system, in a pretty safe way.

It's just that Rare's games are missing.
>>
>>3337363
>It's just that Rare's games are missing
And the Pokemon Stadium games.
>>
>>3337229
Just buy Rare Replay if you love Rare so much. Microsoft actually made the Banjo games better. The only game you'd be missing out on is Diddy Kong Racing, but you could settle for the DS port, just get ready to blow.
>>
>>3337352
Q: why would you need a US power supply? My brother had a Japanese Saturn in the 90s. I don't think he used any special power supply for it, just the Nip one that came with it.
IIRC, Japanese/Taiwanese electronics work in the US, but not the other way around. I don't know enough about electrical outlets and stuff to know why, though.
>>
>>3337407
No you can, most of them just don't come with power supplies though.

There's a voltage difference (100 vs 120V) but I don't know how it works either.
>>
>>3337348
>but they were taken down later
Really? If it happened, it's not because of Rare, because the DKC games are on the 3DS E-Shop.
>>
>>3336983
You shouldn't be pointing to the Saturn as an example of anything. It literally cost trillion dollars to manufacturer and Sega sold them for huge losses, getting themselves into a debt that Dreamcast was supposed to pay off.

I've heard that in 1996 N64 was like 3-4 times cheaper to manufacturer and it was shitloads more powerful in 3D to boot.
>>
File: 1465191082989.gif (550 KB, 728x720) Image search: [Google]
1465191082989.gif
550 KB, 728x720
>>3336403
I would
>>
>>3336326
never happened to me, and I played it on Project 64 in 2000.
>>
>>3336414
>yoshi's story
>good

RE2 isn't even an exclusive so why list it?
>>
>>3337778

While re2 is not exclusive its damn impressive how they squeezed 2 cd's worth of data on a cartridge and it plays excellent

and whats wrong with yoshis story
>>
>>3336532

>uk
>"FACT"

Chris Evans leave this realm
>>
N64 is fucking shit
>>
>>3338074

It is the shit
>>
>>3337778

Most PS1 lists always include stuff that isn't PS1 exclusive like MGS, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc. So why not? Also N64 RE2 has some exclusive content.
>>
>>3338130
FFVII and FFVIII aren't PS exclusive either

Neither is Wipeout 2048 or SoTN

Christ PSX didn't really have that many exclusive
>>
>>3336527

The thing has over 300 games, still a good library. Not by far as much as PS1 but it's carts.
>>
>>3336527
As an American this is my experience. Everyone I know had an N64, I don't know anyone who had a PSX as a kid except for one, and all he played were platformers like Crash. It was pretty jarring coming on /vr/ and even /v/ and finding out these boards were 100% pro-Sony, I have like zero experience of Playstation games since I don't really know anyone who had the console. Even PS2, I know it's not /vr/ but everyone who had a PS2 played mainstream games, people brag about it's huge library but I don't think that's the reason it was popular, at least in the US.
>>
>>3338336

It's the same in Europe and Latin America, outside of big titles like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear, the PlayStation systems were popular for the football (soccer for americans) games like PES and FIFA.

Still, PS1 was more popular than N64 thanks to piracy around here, but N64 was still definitely popular, but more of a rich kid thing.
>>
>>3336326
This why beating a game on an emulator will never count
>>
>what is angrylion and LLE
>>
>>3338668

i aint gonna spend +200euros just to get snes and chrono trigger, its insane
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.