[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How The Fuck Do You Get A Dreamcast Signal To A Modern TV Over VGA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: 41rDV35wgZL.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41rDV35wgZL.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
So the "PC" input in my Bravia claims it has no idea there's anything plugged in. I do some googling, evidently it's a common problem. Apparently the DC outputs 720x480p instead of the 640x480p the TV is normally willing to accept, so it just rejects the signal entirely. Internet people claim that things like VGA couplers, VGA>HDMI converters, and pic related VGA>VGA converters will spoof the proper signal, allowing the TV to recognize it, no problem. I tried all of those things with no success. I even tried decoding the VGA into HDMI into my home theater receiver, and then HDMI into the TV to see if the TV would accept the DC's weird-ass resolution via a more malleable format like HDMI. Nothing. How the fuck do I play my fucking Dreamcast, barring the horrors of composite video? Obviously S-Video is a step up, but still not ideal, and still looks real fuzzy on non-CRTs. Is there a way to convince my TV that VGA isa cool thing it should try? Is there some VGA>Component solution I'm not aware of? Is there any other way to get 480p out of a Dreamcast? I am getting incredibly frustrated. Anything helps, God bless.
>>
File: 20160528_133338.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160528_133338.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>3318915
Hanzo VGA Box.

Amazon.co.uk NEET VGA to HDMI converter, import it from Britain. Lifetime warranty on it.

RCA Audio to 3.5mm.
>>
>>3318917
with our currency going down the toilet since friday, this should be a steal for anyone outside the UK
>>
>>3318917
Let me know if you need links. Some people can't Google worth a shit.
>>
>>3318924
As an American, Britain will bounce back soon.
It's been doing this shit for 3,000 years as an island nation. In the 90s there was a time when the Pound was basically equal to the dollar.

That or we Americans can offer the UK statehood. We need a nice 51st state.
>>
>>3318925
How do I know the Hanzo will work when my VGA cable I'm currently using doesn't?

But sure, I'm curious enough to bite. Link me up, homie.
>>
>>3318917
>>3318925
ONE MORE THING.

You need a British plug converter to American plugs. They're 8.99 on Ebay. I can link that as well.
>>
>>3318917
Wouldn't this work? And if so, why didn't my receiver work?

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHV-converter-Converter-%C2%A0Windows%C2%A010/dp/B003O55U8K
>>
>>3318929
Hanzo:
http://www.beharbros.com/#!hanzo/c1gph

NEET VGA to HDMI Converter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPONENT-YPBPR-converter-supports-1080p/dp/B00ENH8OV8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466981402&sr=8-4&keywords=NEET+vga+to+hdmi

RCA to 3.5mm
http://www.walmart.com/ip/QVS-CC399-03-QVS-CC399-03-3.5mm-Stereo-Male-to-RCA-Male-3-Speaker-Cable/35310953

Plug Converter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VCT-VP18-UK-to-USA-Plug-Adapter-Converts-3-pin-British-Plug-to-3-Prong-Ground-/112017509194?hash=item1a14c38b4a:g:IPMAAOSwOVpXUzig

You just flip a few switches on the Hanzo box and make sure you're set to 1080p on the NEET box, and you're good to go.
>>
File: 8091348977_765ea32509.jpg (48 KB, 500x231) Image search: [Google]
8091348977_765ea32509.jpg
48 KB, 500x231
can you solder?i made this with female component to male vga so i could play a ps2 on a monitor. also worked with xbox. the reverse should work wit DC
>>
>>3318935
That's a piece of garbage converter. the 10-15 dollar converters are always junk.

I don't know what your receivers issues are. Just try plugging it into your TV's HDMI directly.
>>
>>3318917
I also used something like this already, with no luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Converter-Supports-Computer-Lifetime/dp/B002C6NP5C
>>
>>3318940
I dunno man.
I just plugged it all in like this and it worked instantly.
>>3318917
>>
>>3318939
That was the first thing I tried. :-/
>>
>>3318945
What kind of TV are you using?

Mine is a Sony Bravia KDL-46VL-150 if that helps.
>>
>>3318928
>That or we Americans can offer the UK statehood. We need a nice 51st state.

won't happen, the UK is already breaking up (Scotland, Wales, and even London are threatening to exit the UK so they can stay part of the EU).
>>
>>3318946
No clue. I know I had to mess with a few settings on my Hanzo/NEET converter before it would work. It's possible the stuff you bought have settings preset or something, always nice to have switches/buttons on the VGA Dreamcast box and the VGA to HDMI box so you can adjust things and keep clicking until an image and sound show up.
>>
Stupid question, but are you sure the VGA box works? Try it with a monitor first. The home theater not working is suspicious.
>>
>>3318949
That won't happen either. Scotland's debt is too great to join the EU and Wales and London are totally reliant on the UK.
It's a pipe dream.

Time to make Britain Great Again. Been a while since I've heard Great Britain.
>>
>>3318952
Yeah, it works fine on a PC monitor, but that doesn't do me a lot of good in the living room. :(
>>
>>3318948
I'm not seeing anything particular about this TV that would cause a setup of VGA to HDMI to fail.

What's your Dreamcast VGA box?
>>
>>3318958
I'm just using the Tomee cable from Amazon. Everyone else seemed to report that it worked just fine, minus a few forum elitists that needed their precious fake scanlines or ability to switch to composite for the handful of DC games that have to be forced into 480p via a codebreaker disc.

But I've also seen a lot of examples of people having trouble getting newer TVs with VGA inputs to accept the Dreamcast, period. At this point, I'm not even confident a Framemeister could do the trick. And even something like a Hanzo box is totally out of my budget right now.
>>
>>3318964
The Hanzo allows you to force 480p just by flipping a switch, no disc required.

And that Tomee cable is a piece of shit. Get a Hanzo converter box.
>>
>>3318964
Hanzo is 65 bucks man.
You need a dedicated VGA box for the Dreamcast or you won't be seeing any 480p on that baby.
>>
>>3318967
That's the thing. Everyone else who had one reports that they work fine. So it always looks to me like these comments are just elitist neckbeards trying to justify the money they spent in a pissing contest. I'm not saying I think that's what you're doing, because you're trying to help me out and I genuinely appreciate that. But I have no reason to believe that some plastic box made in some dude's garage in Hungary or wherever ordered off a GeoCities page is actually going to work more effectively than a normal product. I think it's more likely that I'd end up spending the money on it and it still not working, because my TV still doesn't want to accept a DC's resolution over VGA. So my question is whether there's a way to reliably convert it to component, or any other way to get 480p out of a Dreamcast.
>>
>>3318969
I think it's much more likely that I'd order one and it still wouldn't work. Because my TV doesn't know what to do with 720x480p over VGA.
>>
>>3318980
I mean, all of my TVs are Samsungs made within the last few years and they have no issues.
>>
>>3318975
I'm sorry. That was a shitty way to word it. I know people speak quite well of those things for good reason. I just don't think that's the problem because the Tomee works fine on a regular PC monitor.
>>
>>3318991
There's also a reason the VGA Box is used.

When pins 6 and 7 on the Dreamcast's A/V out port are connected to the ground pin (such as when a VGA box is connected to the console and externally switched to VGA mode), the Dreamcast system internally switches to VGA mode,[1][2] displaying a 640x480 image ( 480p progressive scan, at a standard EDTV resolution) in RGBHV at 31 kHz, which allows it to connect to a computer monitor or EDTV/HDTV set with a VGA input.
>>
>>3318994
...Oh.

Well shit. I guess I'm not playing Dreamcast for a while then. I have no idea when I'll have the money or when they'll go on sale again. Damn...
>>
>>3319004
The Hanzo is cheap man.
>>
>>3318949
More chance of London joining the Caliphate than the EU. Then again. Maybe in two years the EU will be part of the Caliphate.
>>
>>3319047
$65 isn't cheap, man. At least not for me. And I don't even know where to get it.
>>
>>3318915

>Apparently the DC outputs 720x480p instead of the 640x480p the TV is normally willing to accept, so it just rejects the signal entirely.
Analog video formats such as VGA don't have a fixed horizontal resolution. This is not the problem, even if it were true that the Dreamcast outputs 720x480 (it doesn't)
>>
>>3320183
>VGA don't have a fixed horizontal resolution
Yes it does 256 to 800 are the fixed horizontal extremes in which standard VGA modes operate. SVGA is the extension of that and offers resolutions beyond that but we're talking about the DC and VGA here.
>>
>>3320215

It would make zero difference to the TV. There is no difference in signalling between a 720x480 picture or a 640x480 picture, because all the VGA signal describes is 480 lines of continuous data.
>>
>>3320221
VGA does vertical res at max 512@60hz and up to 600@50hz
>>
I've never plugged a Dreamcast VGA box into a VGA display that wouldn't display it.
>>
>>3320221
Yo it doesn't matter because I plugged that VGA cable into a computer monitor and it still didn't the fuck work so I think you were all right and I just bought a shit-ass cable. Who knows, maybe with a real VGA box my tv won't have a problem at all accepting the signal from a cable that actually works!
>>
I got the Hanzo VGA box just few days ago and sadly it's kind of a let down for the price.
First I needed to wait 2 weeks for no reason so the guy will finally ship the package and another week to receive it.
The LED on it is pretty good idea but the main feature which are the switches work like ass and feel extremely cheap, the scanline is okay at best.
Sadly the switch for lower resolution doesn't work on my TV so can't test it out, the rest is alright but still don't feel like 65$ for that was worth it.
>>
>>3320894
It's an artisanal product, so you can expect to be paying more for it. I'm glad it's made in Eastern Europe instead of the US, where you'd pay twice as much for the same quality.

Have you seen the retro bit models to provide a level of quality comparison?
>>
>>3318953
>Time to make Britain Great Again
You now realize that leaving the EU won't advance that in any conceivable way.
>b-but less mudslimes
That's the most hilarious delusion.
>>
>>3318917
Since the NEET would cost over 40€ considering shipping I got a local variant for the same price which supports 720 and 1080p scaling.
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/20954/fjgqd/Fuj-tech-signaalinmuuntaja-VGA-audio-HDMI-musta

Fuck the Hanzo though, I don't consider paying for artificial scanlines worth my money.
>>
>>3322941
That little box you linked looks like a pile of garbage I'd see from a chinese seller on Ebay.
>>
>>3318938
You don't even need to be able to solder. You could just use the crimp pins for the VGA connector, and crimp on connectors for the RCAs>>3318938
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.