[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Ikaruga that makes it get such a terrible fanbase?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Ikaruga.jpg (417 KB, 1510x1000) Image search: [Google]
Ikaruga.jpg
417 KB, 1510x1000
What is it about Ikaruga that makes it get such a terrible fanbase?
>>
schmups are for granpas
>>
Greatest game ever made.
>>
>>3261228
Obnoxious Treasurefags and kids who played it on Gamecube or Steam and never touched another shmup but are convinced it's the best ever.
>>
>>3261228
Dont talk shit about the best shmup ever made you cunt!
>>
>>3261228
>What is it about shmups that make them get such a terrible fanbase?

ftfy
>>
>>3261257
You just gotta deal that Ukurga is a better memorizer than your r-type shit.
>>
best page in the universe guy mentioned it as his favorite game once. that is the source of its memehood.
>>
>>3261228
>Experience battle in 18 different stages
>18
What did they mean by this?
>>
Dunno about the fanbase, but it triggers a lot of autistic STG shitposters, so it's a good game in my book.
>>
>>3261228
It had a great fanbase actually (ikaruga.co.uk mostly), but once it was ported to XBLA and Steam, people started hating it because it was the go-to game for every hipster faggot who wanted to do clickbait youtube streams about retro shooting games.
>>
File: tip.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>3261326
>if it's controversial, it's a good game
Let me guess, you love Undertale too?
>>
>>3261347

Nah, undertale sucks and it's not retro, also the fanbase of undertale is actually autistic for real.
Call me when you see Ikaruga fanboys doing shitty cosplays and shitposting about it all day. Well, anyway nobody even remembers undertale anymore by now.
Most of the Ikaruga shitposting comes from the haters, not the fanbase.
It's like Earthbound, everyone pretends that Earthbound fans are obnoxious, but it's always the guys who hate Earthbound the ones who keep making threads about it and shitposting about it.

>>3261338
This too.
>>
Because Ikaruga is a shmup for people who hate shmups.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobkO51msMI
>>
>>3261356

wouldn't that be touhou?
>>
>>3261350
The amount of autists in a fanbase is a constant percentage. When the number of fans go up, so does the number of autists, and autists are quite loud.

The same thing applies to message boards. If you have 1 shitposter for every 500 regulars, that can quickly get out of hand.
>>
>>3261368
That too.
>>
>>3261368
Touhou as well.
I think there are more "Cave fans" (for example) that have also played (and completed) Ikaruga and Touhou games than Ikaruga fans that have played and completed any other shmup.
>>
>>3261379

Maybe.

I'm sure there also must be some people that aren't anal about stuff and also like vidya without being exaggerated about the things they like/hate, but they probably aren't wasting time on the internet.
>>
>>3261368
>>3261356
>>3261379
What's your problem?
I don't shitpost in your cave threads about how "cave isn't a real shmup" or something.
>>
>>3261379
I just realized that Ikaruga IS Touhou.
>>
>>3261383

The same could be said about Cave shooters though.
In fact Touhou is a lot more inspired by DoDonPachi than Ikaruga.
>>
>>3261383
Nah, Ikaruga can be played fine if you just wing it; as long as you pay attention to not burying yourself in junk bullets.

Touhou is impossible to play unless you memorize every pixel of the level; it requires the same level of autism to play as those Super Mario hacks where you have to walljumps and other glitches from beginning till the end.
>>
>playing Ikaruga
>always feel like I'm playing it wrong because I drop chains and just try to survive
I've finished it, can full chain first two stages, can chain some parts of other stages. But it always feels like I'm playing it half-assed and "wrong way".
Same deal with RSG.
Doesn't happen with other shmups with complex scoring mechanics, just colour chaining stuff.
>>
>>3261228
The greatest puzzle game of all time...!
>>
>>3261443
>...!

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: ikaruga_hardestendbossever.png (52 KB, 625x454) Image search: [Google]
ikaruga_hardestendbossever.png
52 KB, 625x454
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg

Must-see for anyone that's a fan of Ikaruga.
>>
because people who like danmakus are retards.
>>
File: unmoveable_object.jpg (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
unmoveable_object.jpg
14 KB, 500x500
>>3261420
WARNING
NO REFUGE
Encountered an assailant
LIMIT-ATION
Be attitude for gains...
1: Remember mistakes
2: Aim for improvement
3: Don't give up yet
>>
>>3261654
but ikaruga is a methodical masterpiece, not danmaku garbage
>>
>>3261371
Not at all. There are many popular franchises with a large amount of fans without a large amount of autists

It has to do with how kiddy the game is in a shitty way, i.e. Sonic Adventures, Undertale, Five Night at Freddy, Minecart
>>
>>3261228
It's a shmup. Those require that you git gud. That really irks millennials who feel that anyone who isn't an unskilled unmanly boob is a terrible person.
>>
>>3261228
It's the game people namedrop when they don't know anything about shmups but want to sound like they do.

The Ikaruga fans who actually play shmups seem normal enough to me.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.