[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished Phantasy Star IV and had a blast. My only complaint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Just finished Phantasy Star IV and had a blast. My only complaint is that it was a bit grindy in some parts. What are some other great retro jrpgs that preferably aren't too long?
>>
>>3246143
Ys
Earthbound
>>
>>3246143
You can beat Mario rpg blind quickly
>>
>>3246160

Already played Earthbound. Which Ys is a good starting point?

>>3246260

I forgot about that one. I'll have to give it a shot.
>>
>>3246269
with the start

not meme-ing, either. i started with Ys 1 & 2 on Steam, so i'd recommend that.

have you played the other two Mother games?
>>
>>3246305

No I haven't. And I'll start from the beginning then. Thanks for the recommendations!
>>
Sailor Moon: Another Story (SNES)

Enjoyed it as much as PSIV and EB.
>>
>>3246329
there was a SM JRPG?

>>3246305
you're welcome, man. Ys is more of an action JRPG than a straight-up JRPG, but i still loved the Ys games i've played.
>>
FF4 was pretty short for me. < 20 hours iirc. Also, Rhapsody on PS1 the game is on the easy side, but it's super cheesy and cute as fuck.
>>
>>3246385
Yeah, it's really good. There's been an English translation for well over a decade. One of the first games I beat on an emulator.
>>
>>3246143
Crystalis
Faxanadu
>>
Star ocean
>>
>>3247456
shit. i rarely emulate, but i'm going to have to track this one down
>>
>>3246143
the original Dragon Quest has a remake on the Super Famicom that can be beaten in like, ten hours max (if you're really really slow). i totally recommend.
>>
>>3246143
Chrono Trigger isn't too long and the story really pulled me along.
>>
>>3247794
Is that true for the GBC port as well?
>>
>>3247836
Yup Chrono Trigger is fairly compact and is arguably one of best RPGs ever made. Check it out of you haven't already.
>>
>>3246143
>Phantasy Star IV
>grindy

lolwut
>>
>>3248017
the only part I could think of where you might need to grind is to be strong enough to get through the Air Castle, especially the Three Stooges and their team-wiping bullshit. Fitting that the Phantasy Star 1 reference area is the most frustrating part of the game.
>>
>>3246143
>grindy
What exactly does this mean? In PSIV you can literally run from 99% of battles and still beat the game without any problems. Maybe even 100%, I'm pretty bad at JRPGs.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.