[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retro'd Out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: bleh.gif (45 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
bleh.gif
45 KB, 500x367
Up until about 10 years ago when something was gone from popular culture, it was pretty much gone. Then good internet connections became common enough for people to more easily stream/download, letting us experience things we remembered and rediscover things we'd forgotten. It was an exciting time that future generations will never know because there will never again be a circumstance where anything from their youth isn't instantly accessible.

And here we are today where nostalgia feels like it's all been milked of its last drop with rereleases, updates, reboots, throwbacks, it just doesn't excite me anymore. It's all been analyzed to its most minute detail by YouTubers. Even mediocre retro merchandise is overpriced. I had even taken up pixel art and had gotten pretty good at it but haven't cared to make anything in a year because it just feels so fucking played out by others.

It's this feeling I've had which has been growing for the past year or two. Have any of you felt this? What did you do to overcome it?
>>
>>2877846

If you like the hobby you wouldn't be completely bored of it. The best thing I can say is take a break from it for a while and hopefully you'll want to come back; otherwise maybe you should move on.

I've been involved with video games since the late 80s and most of my favorite games are from the 90s. At the moment I'm writing my own emulator and working on a website to help teach people about emulation and the rom hacking scene of the 90s. It keeps me busy and it's always fun.

The scene is huge OP, bigger now than it has ever been. Instead of feeling jaded by the oversaturation of retro gaming on shit like youtube, concentrate on what you know you enjoy and expand from that. Find your niche OP.
>>
>>2877859
>If you like the hobby you wouldn't be completely bored of it. The best thing I can say is take a break from it for a while and hopefully you'll want to come back; otherwise maybe you should move on.

/thread
>>
You need many hobbies. You can't just do one thing, you may easily burn out of it, even if it takes years to do that eventually you won't even be able to touch it anymore.

None-the-less there are more video games than retro games, and yes there are still good ones out there as long as you aren't narrow minded.

Honestly picking up an instrument has been much better than any rhythm game I have played outside of DDR since it makes you Get Up and Move.
>>
>>2877846

For me, it's not about nostalgia, it's just about playing good games.

Sure, there are a lot of retro games I have nostalgia for, but the majority of stuff I play is stuff I didn't play as a kid.
>>
File: monkey_002.png (7 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
monkey_002.png
7 KB, 320x200
>>2877846
I pretty much always avoided those things. The only youtube stuff I watch is when someone is just playing the game, sometimes with commentary but usually not. And preferably for platforms or games I don't have access to myself. For example:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=BwkvHeRObmo
In general I avoid reviews, unless they're magazine reviews from the period. There are a few modern commentary websites I find useful, but they're very few and far between. Here's one:
http://www.filfre.net/2011/03/on-the-trail-of-the-oregon-trail-part-1/
I also have no interest in modernized and so-called "improved" versions of old games. In general, I'm happy with the older version(s) from the period.
Too much noise and hype makes for a bad experience. Just take your time and enjoy things your way.
Pic is because I've been playing DOS version Monkey Island with EGA+Adlib config. Played the Amiga version decades ago and forgot most of it.
>>
>>2877846
My interest cycle is pretty manic depressive. What I mean by that is, when I find a new interest, or delve into an older one I attack it and jump in headfirst for weeks, MANICALLY devouring everything, trying to absorb the entire field that that interest occupies. Then I burn out, can't even look at the thing, and it happens all at once, I'm just done with that thing again for years perhaps. My dad is like that, few people I know are like that, and what that other anon said is the truth, you need to cycle your interests.
>>
>>2877846
>common enough for people to more easily stream/download
>It's all been analyzed to its most minute detail by YouTubers.
>I had even taken up pixel art and had gotten pretty good at it but haven't cared to make anything in a year because it just feels so fucking played out by others.

First off I really want to say to not let others take this away from you. It's true everyone and their grandma made their own reviews of every last possible retro title, and make their own art and blah blah blah--none of it matters. I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of those guys just do that shit for attention, not out of love. People have taken the divisive review and made an art form out of it, all just attention mongering.

I'd say to just not pay attention to/care about others and their retro exhibitionism, because it has nothing to do with that interesting feeling that YOU get delving into older titles, their history and what they're made of. I know it's not that easy, though.

As for me, I still love retro cause I haven't seen all the classics just yet. But I will since I have lots of time, and I'm playing them for me and no one else. As for art, you have to keep doing it, don't let anyone else influence you wanting to do it. When it comes to my art and love for a title or series, now I only show people that I care about, and will get some feedback from. I'm not interested in vapid drive by favorite/reposting/re-tweet/reblogs or whatever.
>>
>>2878209
properly rated post
>>
Uh, stop watching shitty e-celeb videos? I have no desire to watch some fat neckbeard or underage attention whore play games when I could be playing them myself. Problem solved.
>>
>>2877846
I'm bad at playing games. Once I get stuck/bored I quit it as to not frustrate myself because I don't get that "high" or sense of accomplishment from beating something I was stuck on. I just get mad at myself it took me so long to do it and regret my even more wasted time.

But you should stick with one game at a time and beat it because other people do that and have a far higher enjoyment rate than me.
>>
>>2877846
No, have not felt like this. You're coming off bitter, sir.
>>
>>2877846

The only thing that makes me sad is that I grew up playing these games with friends. After growing up and moving, most of my new friends do not care for retro games. I do like collecting, but I feel that sharing the hobby enriches the experience.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.