[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harvest Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: full-moon-176751_1280.jpg (178 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
full-moon-176751_1280.jpg
178 KB, 1280x960
Can we talk Harvest Moon?

What are the best Harvest Moon games? If they're on non-retro systems like the PS2 game, make sure you also mention how it compares to the retro games and features.

I'm wanting to play some good Harvest Moon but don't know where to start.
>>
Super nintendo version
>>
>>3232919
I like the PS2 version. I also loved the N64 version.
>>
>>3232919
GBC is elite
>>
What a beautiful shot ruined by a shitty advertisement sign
>>
>>3233271
It could be worse. Just a sign saying GAS isn't too offensive.
>>
File: 1423592964160.jpg (336 KB, 1045x743) Image search: [Google]
1423592964160.jpg
336 KB, 1045x743
>>3233042
My nigga. The GBC and N64 games were my childhood.

That said, one day I hope to get a SNES and Harvest Moon so to experience the original masterpiece.
>>
>>3232919

Start with the original on SNES.

Then jump right to GBA's HM.

GBA's HM: FoMt is THE best Harvest Moon.
It's took the PSX & N64's 3D HM and repackaged it into an efficient 2D game, and injected it with fuckton of content - more mechanics in gameplay, extremely deep story.

Deep, as in you need to put effort into it to discover more story, and if you messed up you can change the game, NPCs could leave and blocks access to some areas / items.

FoMT is flexible, you can play it casually or be a hardworking tycoon, the latter is missing in the newer HM since DS.

New Harvest Moon sucks, they are babby's game, made for toddler.
It's all hand-holding, cutesy, dumbed-down and slow / casual.
>>
>>3233042
>would you like to run this farm?
>no
>credits roll
It's how I knew I was playing a good game.
>>
Are these games similar to Animal Crossing?
>>
>>3237441
Not really.

Oddly enough I got into AC because I thought it would be like HM. At first I really didn't like it because of that expectation but I got ACNL later and enjoyed it for what it was.
>>
>>3237416
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvEyCV6UJ2g

>>3237441
Yes in the sense that you go around in a town and interact with people in a casual rural setting.

No in the sense that HM has a clearly defined goal that revolves around working on the farm.
>>
>>3234152
The Ps1/N64 harvest moon was my first and favorite, so next time I'm in the mood for some farming I'll definitely have to give the GBA version a shot.
>>
I grew up on an extremely secluded farm, and my mom bought my Harvest Moon for Playstation 2 because she thought it looked "wholesome".

I really wanted to like Harvest Moon, but I just didn't get it. I would try to grow the farm but it would never grow. Plus I already did the rural farm thing in real life so my 12 year old brain could not comprehend how this was in any way enjoyable.

Can somebody explain to me what is fun about Harvest Moon?
>>
>>3239026
whats fun about any video game? you dont get any of the points or gold coins in real life.
>>
>>3234152
Came here to say this.
If you want to stay retro, the best one is the PS1 version but otherwise, GBA version is the best.
>>
>>3232919
I've only ever played Back To Nature and it is my go-to comfy game.
>>
>>3239026
Was the one you got "save the homeland"? I love HM games but that's the one I couldn't get into.
>>
>>3232919
please
>>
>>3232919
SNES and N64 are the best versions on /vr/ systems and arguably the best versions period.
>>
>>3232919
>tfw I was literally farming under a Harvest Moon a couple of days ago.
>I have become the game.
>life is good.
>>
File: press_shot_1.jpg (604 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
press_shot_1.jpg
604 KB, 1024x768
What's the best newer gen Harvest Moon? I played BtN and GBC 3. BtN was great. The closest I've found to a modern game that feels like that is Recettear.

I just want to play something similar, but updated. I've played BtN to death.
>>
>>3247273
Harvest Moon is toast. There was some weird rights-grab and now the original devs work on a series called Story of Seasons for 3DS that's supposed to be pretty good. There's a new one coming out soon.

If you're on PC, check out Stardew Valley. It's great.
>>
>>3247302
I've heard of Stardew Valley. Might give it a shot. I was hoping HM had something to offer, but I guess it'll forever be an old gen thing. What a shame. It's the kind of thing that doesn't need to be changed much, just given updated visuals and some minor tweaks to mechanics at best.
>>
>>3247315
As far as I know, Story of Seasons /is/ Harvest Moon, just with a different name. It's still the same series back in Japan. It's a really weird situation.
>>
>>3247329
HM: A new beginning is by the ex publisher of the games, who holds the rights to the name and is milking it. It's not made by the original developer and it'shit.

Story of Seasons is made by the HM developer, but they can't use the name anymore. It's basically Harvest Moon without the name. It's pretty good, too.

In short HM A new beginning is a hollow marketing shell, Story of Seasons is the true Harvest Moon
>>
>>3247273
story of seasons is a great game

it's also Harvest Moon in everything but name

haven't played it, but Stardew Valley is supposed to be great
>>
>>3247273
Rune Factory.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.