[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you pronounce SEGA? >Seh-Guh >Say-Guh >Sea-Guh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: sega.png (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
sega.png
11 KB, 320x240
How do you pronounce SEGA?

>Seh-Guh
>Say-Guh
>Sea-Guh
>>
>>3222817

seh-gah

Service Games
>>
>>3222839
So you pronounce games like "Gawhms" instead of "Gayms"?
>>
Thread ends here

https://youtu.be/uVM-74K50RM
>>
>>3222817
SEYGWURFHH
>>
せが
>>
>>3222817
SEA-GAY
>>
>>3222817
What's the point in this thread when they say Sega at the beginning of like all of their games?

There's really little room for this discussion when everybody already knows the proper way to pronounce it.

I'm going to go with Say-Guh

I'm pretty sure the first two could be read the same, but some people might say s -eh-guh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6ZxH2ySm0

Now go home.

Pic is only Sega related image I had
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxOEPBO4OqA
>>
>>3222878
>say-guh
>seh-guh
These are pronounced differently?
>>
>>3222891
I didn't think so, but OP might have mean't it with emphasis on the "eh" or something
>>
sonic 2 intro says "SAY-GUH"

but when i'm speaking in my normal inflection it's more like "seh-guh"
>>
If you treat it like they're Japanese syllables, it's "seh," but it seems like even the Japanese stylize it as "say-guh."
>>
>>3222917
The Japanese "se" IS pronounced exactly the same as "say" though. Why do you even bother opening your dumb fucking mouth when it's obvious you have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about? Get fucked, retard.
>>
Me mates in the land down under always called them SIIIIIIIIIIIIEEE-GAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
Either "Seh-Guh" or "Say-Guh" are acceptable.
>>3222929
The entire 2nd sentence in this post was unnecessary, unwarranted, and not helpful at all.
>>
>>3222929
If it was meant to be "say" it'd have the i syllable with it, e.g. Saint Seiya.

cf. "sentai"
>>
I used to pronounce it like "Sah-Guh", but now that I know Sega means Service Games I pronounce it "Say-Gay".
>>
>>3222817
You must not have a fucking Genesis. Its SAY GA. Nobody ever had a problem saying it. If they did they were retarded.
>>
What if Sonic pricked you?
>>
Why does this fucking thread come up so often? Have none of you cunts played any Genesis games that say "Sega" at the start?
>>
>>3222967
>gay
l0l
>>
>people hear what they want to hear from a low quality sound clip due to bias
i forget the name of this phenomenon
>>
>>3223003
Stupidity?
>>
>>3222950
That's not how that works, the "i" sound is it's own and it's pronounced the way you pronounce "E".

Se-i-ya
Se-ga
>>
>>3222817
CJ

C Jay

Like how Ghibli is pronounced Jibli
>>
>>3222849

saabisu gamu

It's the 1st two syllables of the Japanese garaigo terms
>>
>>3222817
There is a reason why the console say SEEEEGGAAAA when you boot your game.
>>
>>3222817
>How do you pronounce SEGA?

Autism.
>>
>>3223091
Strictly speaking yes, but we're talking about a compound vowel sound. The "e" sound in Japanese is entirely flat; you need to add another vowel to construct what you generally need a "y" for in English.

When you have the vowel sounds close to one another in Japanese, you're not necessarily going to enunciate every bit of it. You wouldn't say "se iiii," you'd just pronounce it "say," just as "u" sounds are often dropped.
>>
>>3223118
Except Sega has never been saabisu gamu. It was Service Games, then Sega, and then acquired by the Japanese, so as far as how to pronounce Sega we should let the Americans take the lead on this, and I say this as a non-American.
>>
>>3223118
>gamu

it's geemu.

Sega should be pronounced "Sah-Geh".
>>
>>3222817
God dammit same thread every month.
>>
File: saygar.png (123 KB, 761x1500) Image search: [Google]
saygar.png
123 KB, 761x1500
>>3222817
>>
It's pronounced seh-gah, but here in Italy they changed it to see-gah because Sega means "jacking off"
>>
>>3223215

Lol whatever, I don't actually claim to know Japanese. Anyway, I think it's pronounced Seh-gah, considering they practically yell it at the beginning of every game you turn on.

Sega, rhymes with Vega
>>
>>3223619
lol

also: In german it's pronounce with a voiced S, as in "rose" (not as voiced as in "gaze and not as unvoiced as in "race")
>>
Say-gay, because I'm not a dweeb.
>>
Maybe I'm wrong or maybe is the fact that I'm not from the US and I speak Spanish but for me it's "seh-gah" because it's the literal way to read the word here
>>
>>3222878
>I'm going to go with Say-Guh
This is what I have always said, because it's definitely what the 16-bit voices always sounded like to me, back in the day.

But lately, I've noticed this militant "seh-ga" movement going on. I didn't know a single kid who pronounced it that way when I was young. We all said "Say-guh" because that's what we heard every time we started our consoles up.
>>
>>3222817
autists arguing over the name of a shit tier company, shocking
>>
Se-ga

S, flat 'e', g, flat 'a' like in 'afterwards'
>>
>>3222817
ahhhhhhhhhh SEGA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYyztfOc-0
>>
>>3224489
"barter" is a better example for "a", as it doesn't become /ä/ in dialects. S can be voiced or unvoiced, I assume you mean unvoiced. I honestly can't think of an english word with a good clean "e" in it...
>>
>>3222817

Only stupid Aussies pronounce it wrong (they say See Gah) even the games themselves pronounce it for you when you start them up and they still can't get it right.
>>
>>3224075

Like the idiots who use the term Shmups and try to rewrite history when nobody even said that dumb shit back in the day. When are they gonna start calling Beat 'em Ups bmups?
>>
>>3224784
We call "beat 'em ups" belt scrollers. But I personally prefer to refer to them as a strolling donnybrooks.
>>
>seh-gah

Now a semi-related story

>in my language, the word "blind" and sega are phonetically identical.
>I remember getting my md for Christmas at my grandparents house and firing up Sonic 1.
>a few seconds into the game and the sega chant plays
>my grandmother(who is blind) got really fucking pissed off
>she screamed at my grandfather and wanted him to break my md
>told her hell no and asked my grandpa to take me to my parents house
>play sonic 1 at home, it was a damn good game

The thing is, whenever I play sonic 1 I always remember this memory and I get some laughs out of it every now and then.
>>
>>3225338

No, we don't fucking call beat em ups belt scrollers. Fuck off weeb.
>>
>>3225413
what fucking language
>>
>>3225420

gayswallowian
>>
>>3225420
Portuguese.
>>
>>3225417
Yes we fucking do you goddamn newfag.
>>
>>3225428
Shut the fuck up It was always beat 'em ups.
>>
>>3222929
>>3223091
lmao do you say sensei as sayn-say-ee?
>>
>>3222817
C'est gay.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs434oUpoMM&t=11m00s

Sea-Gar confirmed.
>>
>>3225432
Well not anymore newbie newfaggerton. We call 'em belt scrollers around here nowadays.
>>
File: bitch what.jpg (67 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
bitch what.jpg
67 KB, 485x700
>>3226176

Not that guy, but nope. Stop trying to force your shitty meme's weebo. Calling other people newfag just makes you look like one because before last year when we had an influx of shitty /v/irgins, no one ever said beltscroller so fuck off.

>tfw don't care that some salty jap from the 80's call it belt scroler

Stay mad.
>>
>>3226186
You cannot stop the belt scroller meme. I as a weeboo from /v/ will not allow it.
>>
>>3226196

Don't worry, me and others will be in your thread to shit it up. See ya soon.
>>
>>3222817
it's a japanese company so "se" like in "same" or "sex" and "ga" like "gutter" "gunner"
>>
>>3225775
>>3226186
L'ar en cie Gay.
or was it Dir en Gay?
>>
>>3226186
>>3226196
>>3226176
But why call it beltscroller?
I mean, I ger the scroller part, but why 'belt'?
>>
File: belt-scroller.jpg (129 KB, 1024x500) Image search: [Google]
belt-scroller.jpg
129 KB, 1024x500
>>3226564
>>
>>3226629
Ok, but that rises even more questions.
If both player character and enemies are on the same belt, they both slide to the left side.
Also, in many games you proceed a bit forward, and are forced to defeat all enemies until you can go further. That whole 'start, stop, start, stop' over and over again doesnt really feel like a conveyor belt to me.
It would make more sense while describing games like r-type, where everything is thrown at your face all the time, both scenery and enemies.
Going by your example, every game preventing you from backtracking could be named a beltscroller.
>>
File: 2009-03-26-152533.jpg (449 KB, 720x564) Image search: [Google]
2009-03-26-152533.jpg
449 KB, 720x564
>>3226683
Everyone knows STG games are just models on strings.
>>
>>3226629
So how does this analogy work for games like Double Dragon where there's verticality, then? Are we going to call those globe scrollers, then?
>>
>>3222854
gross, this is wayy better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzH0WJ52kc
>>
>>3226201
This was a shit tier thread anyways so nothing of value was lost when I shit it up.

> Don't worry, me and others will be in your thread to shit it up. See ya soon.

Well I guess I'll see you then. I'm looking forward to it faglord.
>>
Great thread and posts all around, keep it up guys.
>>
>>3226683
>That whole 'start, stop, start, stop' over and over again doesnt really feel like a conveyor belt to me.
Nigger you never worked in a factory
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ulh2gN2Vk

Seaga Meaga Drive
>>
File: tumblr_lzo71qUBZk1qhi6zlo1_500.gif (123 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzo71qUBZk1qhi6zlo1_500.gif
123 KB, 500x363
Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAYh2-ZQRrk
>>
It's pronounced セガ. Why are people still talking about this?
>>
Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzH0WJ52kc
>>
>>3227646
>It's pronounced セガ

Yeah but it's hard for people who speak languages like english to pronounce that.

Seygay? Saw-Gey? Suh-Gee? See-Guh? Too many possibilities.
>>
>>3227636
OH SHIT IT MOVED
>>
>>3222817
Have you never played a Genesis game before?
>>
>>3227943
What's the Bible got to do with videogames?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.