[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: pi1l.jpg (177 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
pi1l.jpg
177 KB, 1280x1024
Why even collect anymore?
>>
>>3165978
I don't. Sold everything that wasn't a handheld.
>>
>>3165979
Wish phones could be used, but the touch screen never feels right.
>>
>memeberry pi
>>
File: DSCN0594.jpg (456 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0594.jpg
456 KB, 1600x1200
>>3165989
just use a pocket controller?
>>
>>3166002
Best option overall but that kinda takes away from portability guess it just depends on size of the controller
>>
The Pi's a bit underpowered.
>>
>>3165978
Because not poorfag
>>
Emulation overall is garbage.
>>
>>3165978
Because emulators aren't 100% accurate?
>>
>>3165978
I don't. I've had my game library complete for years, since I grew up when they came out.
>>
>>3165978

I'll buy games I like and not even give a shit what people think about my collection.
>>
>>3166947
What are those?
>>
input delay
>>
>>3167187
Look, a parrot.
Let's see what else it has heard it can repeat endlessly
>>
>>3165978
>Pi 1
>Not Pi 3
>>
The pi is not a very good emulator, and while Retropie has an active community it is extremely annoying to get running well. It can handle up to 4th gen well, but anything after that except for handhelds like the gba is basically not even worth trying. Emulators for the Saturn, Playstation, N64, and Dreamcast are just not feasible on the hardware even on the revised model B. Personally I prefer to just use an everdrive or modchip so I can just play roms or burned discs on the actual hardware.
>>
Do Sega CD or Saturn games emulate well?
>>
>>3166002
i have that but the input lag makes me hate it in most platformers
>>
>>3167430
sega CD very easy
Saturn not so much
>>
>>3165978
30 bucks for a pi setup (maybe more if you're buying a case/shield). 50 bucks to buy an old desktop/laptop from craigslist. Literally any shitty old cheap hardware will outperform the pi, so only use a retropi setup if you need something extremely small/discreet/portable.

p.s. built-in bluetooth on the pi3 makes me want one to set up with wireless DS3 controllers.
>>
File: 2016-04-25 18.12.28.jpg (462 KB, 1036x583) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-25 18.12.28.jpg
462 KB, 1036x583
>>3166302
U wish u were me

Faggot
>>
File: kjkjkj.png (687 KB, 1175x921) Image search: [Google]
kjkjkj.png
687 KB, 1175x921
i think OP meant to post this for the pic
>>
>>3167690
Which everdrives for Snes are decent?
>>
>>3167773
I have the super everdrive v2 in the pic, it works perfectly. It just doesnt play special chip games
>>
>>3165978
I am not a robot.
>>
>>3167791
I should google but I'll just keep bugging you. What games does that include
>>
>>3167814
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snes+enhancement+chips
>>
>>3167684
Even when I was the target demographic for that N64, I didn't want it. And I was nuts about Pokemon.

Also, nice expansion port cover.
>>
>>3167817
You're a tolerant human.
I can't tell if that's just enough games to piss me off or not. Mainly the mega man games, Kirby dreamland 3, legend of seven stars, and the gundam games. Idk though. P good on the other hand that it's only that many.
>>
>>3167834
SD2SNES can play the Megaman X games and may have Super FX and SA-1 support eventually.
>>
>>3167773
I have the retron 5 everdrive. I don't really like ti but the cucksband plays it all the time with my uncles friends nephews dogs chew toys wifes son.
>>
>>3167827
I'm 28 wanna fite about i?
>>
>>3167893
Far out, man. Clean your dirty ass N64.
>>
>>3167690
this is highway fucking robbery.
>>
>>3168224
But why would you even need the newer versions that badly?
>>
>>3166060

Pi 1? Extremely. Pis 2 and 3? For the price it's hard to beat. It does better than the Wii at this point. Waiting for the lakka team to actually put out a fully Pi3 compatible build.
>>
>>3168258

40-60? I'd buy a GB and an N64 one in a heartbeat. Hell, MD too. 100+ is a bit steep. 150+ is absurd.
>>
>>3165978
This doesn't seem like enough of a *retro* *gaming* device.

Now, one of them had an x86, or MIPS or superH SoC, them it would be seriously fitting.
>>
>>3168224
Then it should be trivial for you to create a competitive version for far cheaper.
>>
>>3165978
Agreed. Emulation is logical.
I understand why people collect. It's like collecting artifacts of the past like a type of archeologist. But let's put our emotions aside. There are literally thousands of retro games out there. Many, many consoles. To appreciate these you will need ample cash and patience. Then when you finally get your stuff you have to deal with the effects of time on cartridges, CDs, consoles.

Emulation is logical and excusable.
Collecting is fine but illogical.
>>
>>3169936
>being this condescending to a senior sandwich artist
you don't know the kind of shit you just stepped in, amigo
>>
pi shills please go fuck yourselves and stop posting here
>>
>>3169936
any full time job I would think, I make enough for most of those individually by lunch time with a g.e.d.
>>
>>3168350
It is.

>>3169936
>get a job where being an overpaying retard is a requirement
We can't all be hedge fund managers
>>
>>3169440
>hobbies and logic
Shit has mostly nothing to do with logic. Humans aren't robots; they derive pleasure in complex unpredictable ways (at least with our current level of understanding of the human brain). The only logic involved is putting resources towards something you enjoy vs don't enjoy. Some people will derive pleasure from simply having original systems and resulting challenges of keeping them working. Others simply like to play games and derive nothing from archiving or A/V geekery. If you don't like having original systems or the upkeep of them then it's illogical to think you need to collect. If you don't derive as much pleasure from emulating a system as you would the original, then you can decide how much that added fun is worth to you. If you like them a lot, it would be illogical simply to emulate.

>>3170034
You can afford one of those after a couple of days doing back breaking labor in a warehouse at 8-10 USD/hour.
>>
>>3165978
>Pi
>Muh built-in RA cores stolen from real devs
This is shilling.
>>
>>3168224
Compared to reseller scum and ebay? Are you retarded? Can you even math?
>>
>>3168274
but the spechull chibs anon!!!!
>>
>>3166002
I'm the operator with my pocket calculator
I am adding and subtracting
I'm controlling and composing
I am adding and subtracting
I'm controlling and composing
By pressing down a special key, it plays a little melody
By pressing down a special key, it plays a little melody
>>
>>3168274
For the price of 2 or 3 games you get to play the entire library of a console, not emulating, not on a clone hardware, but on real hardware with 100% accuracy.
Sure, if you only play a handful of games(5-10), maybe it's not really worth it, but if you don't and you care more for the game themselves rather than for the physical object, these prices are perfect.

>>3170034
>We can't all be hedge fund managers
Dude, I'm a fucking clerk in a shitty country-side market, $8/H, 6 hours/day, 1 week and it's yours.

>It is.
If it's so simple for you to create a valid and better alternative for cheaper, then do it and become rich?

Your posts makes no fucking sense, you're complaining thse cost to much, while also saying you could easily create and produce one of these for a cheaper price, but you're complaining you can't afford them in less than a week of work.
>>
>>3167223
he's right though. It's more than just HD LCD TV lag too. anything more interactive than an RPG is virtually impossible to plan on it

I use flashcarts or emulator on my system
>>
File: co1nhzmasvyj1vcs5m57.jpg (56 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
co1nhzmasvyj1vcs5m57.jpg
56 KB, 800x450
>>3170261
>>
>>3167684
>Nintendo fags need instructions on how to operate a reset button

I know this probably for little little kids but still
>>
>>3170979
What part of being a clerk in a shitty country-side market requires your specialized skills of overpaying for stuff? Do they have you order product one piece at a time so you can pay the maximum price or something. Are you not aware that the prices listed in that pic are pretty much the highest you'll find and that you can get the exact same thing from resellers for less?

>get rich by selling a cheaper version of a product to NEETs who have no money.
Yeah, that's not how money works. Clearly you have no future as a hedge fund manager marketing your funds to homeless crackheads.
>>
>>3167836
superFX? maybe
SA-1? not a chance in hell without a FPGA upgrade
>>
>>3166302
very close to the majority /vr/ mindset. good job anon, keep it up.
>>
>>3167670
$50 computer from craigslist will be slow to boot up and a lot louder than the pi.
Not a bad solution but I'd rather use a Pi a or a Wii as they're much simpler to get into game (but not so much thanks to Lakka)
>>
>>3168224
You don't have to buy them anon.
>>
>>3170979

They really aren't worth it. DS Flashcarts were never that much. I payed roughly 75 for the first one I bought, which is on the steeper side of my own metric, but I bought it at a con and knew I was paying something of a markup due to the immediate availability and the aforementioned being at a con. That was in 2008. Near 200 is absurdly high.
>>
>>3173368
Comparing them to a DS flash cart isn't really fair. DS flash carts came on the market when there were tens of millions of DSs in the hands of kids. EDs came on the market when there were tens of thousands of SNES in the hands of overpaying eBaybies. The economies of scale just aren't there.
A fairer comparison would be a 2015$200 ED to a 1995$400 GD. When you look at it that way the ED is a bargain as a GD would be something like 1k in todays money.
Of course you can pick up a second hand GD now for a few bucks. Just like a $75 R4 goes for the same or even less if it doesn't support SDHC. A few years down the road you can be sure the hipsters who have moved on to the next fad will be unloading their EDs for a fraction of what they paid.
>>
>>3165978
Where's the RGB-out on that? How are you supposed to hook it up to an arcade monitor or a broadcast monitor or a whatever CRT?

Funny how computers in the '80s could handle 15 KHz output but your futuristic meme device can't.
>>
So for the few of you who aren't into shitposting.

My girlfriend bought me a pi3

Any of you niggas who actually have one. What's your set up?
>>
>>3177619
Just put slap RetroPI on it. There's plenty of documentation on setting up bluetooth controllers.
>>
>>3177619
had a pi2 with recalbox, usb controller, composite>rfmodulator>f to 3.5mm, portable b&w tv with a green gel light filter on the screen. most pointless gameboy ever. Sold it for $100 at the university pub.
>>
>>3175520
>EDs came on the market when there were tens of thousands of SNES in the hands of overpaying eBaybies.
>tens of thousands of SNES

No. The SNES is not rare at all.
>>
File: bike.png (181 KB, 683x396) Image search: [Google]
bike.png
181 KB, 683x396
Why even walk anymore?
>>
>>3166989
This.
If I really love a game I buy it. Otherwise I'm fine with emulation.
>>
>>3165978
I have a Pi3b and it's great for all emulation tasks I've thrown at it so far.

It's hooked up to my special Black-tinted Trinitron with the special Pan-Focus gun. Very rare, even the /CRT/ fags are stumped by it.
>>
>>3184258
lol you're the guy with the portable tv he thought was special. losing it right now.
>>
>>3184282
Found out it was literally made for JAXA.
>>
>>3180541
>ITT: we post irrelevant replies
No. The SNES is not a mammal at all.
>>
>>3166002
You can use a ps3 controller
>>
>>3177619
General purpose raspbian for fucking around/kodi, lakka for gaming. Fuck Retropie. Also have an old Pi1 sitting around headless as a network share.

Controller-wise I have a 360 and an XBone controller. Debating picking up a generic usb Genesis 6-button and swapping the guts into a legit shell for maximum comfy.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.