[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OH BOY MOM AND ARE GONNA TAKE YOU TO BLOCKBUSTER WHAT AWESOME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70
File: blockbuster_11_04_08.jpg (52 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
blockbuster_11_04_08.jpg
52 KB, 413x310
OH BOY
MOM AND ARE GONNA TAKE YOU TO BLOCKBUSTER
WHAT AWESOME GAME ARE YOU GONNA RENTING TODAY?
>>
>>3093171
>"You're not renting a game"
> REEEEEEEEE
>>
File: videotapes.png (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
videotapes.png
83 KB, 500x500
>>
>>3093171
Can I just buy a cheap game instead? If I know I have to give it back eventually I can't enjoy it.
>>
>>3093181
Experienced and it was great. Be kind rewind, anon.
>>
>>3093191
And don't forget to flip to side B after A is done.
>>
>>3093194
You think I'm skipping out on some side B? Please. VHS was an adventure and I miss it. Okay OP, I'm going to rent Maximum Carnage. Can I get some Sour Worms too, please?
>>
File: 37458123.jpg (108 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
37458123.jpg
108 KB, 640x468
Did you discover any great games through renting, /vr/?

I chose Mystical Ninja 2 at random one weekend and it ended up being one of my all time favorites.
>>
I've never been to a Blockbuster. They didn't exist where I lived. I rented games and movies from local mom and pop stores and a grocery store near where I lived.
>>
>>3093389
I never liked Blockbuster. They were overpriced. I always preferred the mom and pop stores myself. I used to go to one called A to Z Video a lot in the 90s.
>>
I heard Netflix, that company that lets you rent DVDs and games through the mail offered to sell out to Blockbuster for 50 million. Do you guys think Blockbuster should do it?
>>
File: E0riiv6.gif (111 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
E0riiv6.gif
111 KB, 500x500
>>3093419
DVDs through the mail? Next thing you'll be telling me is they'll send it through you're telephone lines, space man. I mean, with Blockbuster, you get a membership card and $10 late fees. Do you get that with Netflix? Well do ya? Ooo... something shiny! Can I eat it?
>>
>>3093201
Mischief Makers.
>>
>>3093196
I can't believe you actually fell for that.
>>
>>3093189
Autism speaks.
>>
File: 1341810223038.jpg (47 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1341810223038.jpg
47 KB, 500x445
>Post your face when you learned you could actually rent games and didn't have to limit yourself to Christmas and birthdays
>>
File: 1458486464097.jpg (43 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1458486464097.jpg
43 KB, 600x450
>>3093171
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
>>3093201
Rented Soul Blazer.
That shit was cash.
>>
>>3093201
I discovered Urushihara Satoshi's art by renting Warsong. Especially the manual. 'Twas a glorious discovery indeed.
>>
>>3093181
Batefrogman, plz
>>
>>3093181
As if using VHS tapes was such a great thing in the past. I hated it when I watched a movie on it and had to rewind it all the way when I had to return it to the videostore. Not to mention some assholes didn't even bother to rewind it before their rental ended.
>>
>>3093549
I fail to see how rewinding a tape is a problem, especially if you had really fast VCRs (and the tape wasn't ruined beyond recognition).
>>
>>3093498
I don't have a face for that because some of the first games I played were rentals.
>>
>>3093181
I still have 2 vcrs, my kiddo watches some of the same tapes I did. Also still have blockbuster here.

http://www.blockbuster.com/franchise.html

>>3093553
both mine rewind, eject and power down if you just let the tape play until the end. switch inputs or turn off the display and forget about it.
>>
>>3093504
Fuck you ;_;
>>
Dont know how much it used to cost to rent like, a sega game or whatever because I was a kid. But it must have been really shitty to be an adult who was in to games in that era.... Any random junk game you can pick from the <$5 bin at the retro game store today, you would have had to pay (im assuming) a comparable amount of money just to rent, just to find out how crappy it was... because also no internet.
>>
File: 1277528008523.jpg (63 KB, 450x565) Image search: [Google]
1277528008523.jpg
63 KB, 450x565
>>3093181
>mfw my parents unironically bought a VHS rewinder

>like pushing the "rewind" button on the VCR and letting it run for 5 minutes was too big of a hassle
>>
The cool kids owned copiers so they rented and dumped.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 242x208
>>3093189
yeah, you can have this one anon.
>>
File: spinball.png (66 KB, 319x213) Image search: [Google]
spinball.png
66 KB, 319x213
>>3093171
Blockbuster always smelled so damn good on the inside.

Pretty sure pic related is the first game I ever rented.
>>
>>3093617
Bro.

That was a reasonable investment, especially if you watched a lot of movies or had kids.

Kids love to watch the same shit over and over again, and as a parent it was really easy to just forget to do that, so you pop that shit in a VCR rewinder.

More modern VCR's had really fast rewinds though which made that a little more redundant.

So you should probably think before you talk next time el chappo.
>>
>>3093606
Pretty sure a rental was 5-10 bucks.

It was fucking robbery. Especially for new releases 2 day rentals. Make the cost of the tape back in like a week, then everything else is pure profit.
>>
>about 1/3 of posters are actually underages pretending to have been to Blockbuster
This thread.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 197x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 197x144
>>3093171
>>3093201
Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon for me. Was one of the few amazing games I found on my own. My buddy introduced me to the rest. Game was fucking cash and only recently refound it. Waiting to play it with my own son now.
Most everything else I rented was trash.
Oh yeah, can I grab a coke too, Mom?
>>
i was always renting lufia, lufia 2 and ff3
>>
>>3093181
Honestly, anyone that is the correct age for this site should have experience with vcrs in one way or another
>>
>>3094258
>rent JRPG
>don't want to delete someone's game because I thought they would find out who I was and get mad at me

That's why I named my main characters names of kids I didn't like at school
>>
File: 1gKCHG.So.79.jpg (48 KB, 640x362) Image search: [Google]
1gKCHG.So.79.jpg
48 KB, 640x362
>>3093606
>>3094102
I remember renting games for 99 cents ($1.07 with sales tax in College Station, Texas) around 1988-1990. Searching around for enough pennies, nickels, and dimes to rent a game for the weekend. Pulling out the fistful of coins and dumping it on the checkout counter at Kroger Video.
I guess they may have had more expensive new releases also but if so I must have ignored them.
>>
I know people are gonna scream "NOT RETRO!" but the copy of Max Payne for the PS2 I own was a Blockbuster rental copy. It says that shit on the top of the disk.

Ah VHS. Never rented shit myself personally. But I did have a VCR when I was a kid. But by the time I was a teenager that shit got replaced with DVD and then Blue Ray players later on. I have a box of VHS tapes in my bedroom that I use as a doorstop.
>>
Didn't Blockbuster go out of business?
>>
>>3095006
In some places, sure. In total, of course not.
>>
>>3093617
the rewind feature on the VCR can damage the tape if used too often

the rewinder is easier on the tape
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 300x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 300x313
>mfw you could keep manuals and not be charged for them
>>
>>3095040
Depends on the vcr actually. The tape itself degrades overtime, so no matter what....it's gonna break and die
>>
>>3095040
That's totally erroneous. Most decent (surviving) VCRs have auto sensing rewind that can tell by tension when the beginning/end of the tape is approaching and slow down/soften the prices r. I've never seen a rewinder with this feature.

Rewinders are mainly to do it fast and not tie up your VCR so you can start watching the next movie immediately.
>>
File: Silver Surfer (U) [!]-1.png (3 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Silver Surfer (U) [!]-1.png
3 KB, 256x240
>>3093171
>MOM AND ARE GONNA
>tfw no dad
>>
File: 1450977661212.png (79 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1450977661212.png
79 KB, 291x343
>>3093171
My dad always took me to Hollywood Video instead and every time I see these threads I feel like I missed out on something.
>>
fuck YES gonna rent final fantasy IX and PAPER FUCKING MARIO I LOVE TUESDAYS can we get dominos
>>
>>3095097
Hollywood Video was the patrician Blockbuster.

You're good to feel with us, son.
>>
>>3095056
the only time I could've ever used one was multiple cassette movies like the 10th kingdom
>>
>>3093179
kekd
>>
>>3095097
I never had a Blockbuster in my town, and the only Hollywood Video was in the city about an hour away. My family always went to our local store, still about 2003 or so, when a Movie Gallery opened in town and we got an account there. I never liked that one as much, since they didn't rent Gameboy games like the other store.

They ended up closing back in 2008 or so when the town got its first Red Box. The local shop actually had a pretty decent customer base even after Red Box showed up, and they hung on for a while after. They finally closed down a couple years ago though. I wish I'd been there when it happened, could've snagged some cheap games.
>>
I remember when I was a kid my mom let my brother and I rent 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' for the NES.

I played it and played it and got so mad that I couldn't beat it that I hid it when it came time to return the game, so that I could play it for a couple more days.

I finally beat it as a grown man years later. The game isn't even hard lol. When I was a kid I thought that I could actually kill Freddy during one of those mini-battles with him.

Sorry mom for the late fees lol.
>>
>>3095034
Actually, the company did go under. The only remaining stores are independently owned franchises.
>>
Everyone knew that the place to rent cheaply were public libraries. At least in Britain anyway. "Mum, I'm off to the library". "That's nice son. It's great that you have such an interest in reading". Anything half decent also got to meet ye olde CloneCD or CDRwin. Good times.
>>
>>3099090

My mom stole mine and my brothers library cards because children don't get late fees. Keep in mind, she's also a librarian
>>
>>3094102
Due to the way the rental license was, rental stores had to pay ridiculous amounts for their copies. Like heaps heaps more than standard retail.
>talking vcrs here
>>
Spent a lotta time renting master system games. Cant remember the first one. Probably some shit like the ninja.
Definitely remember renting psycho fox, sonic, asterix and mickey mouse. Damn i love the master system!
>>
>>3099172
I just got my VCRs from Napster over my college's ethernet to T3
Until it got me expelled and fined eleventy billion dollars
Thanks, Lars!
>>
File: art thou vexed.jpg (18 KB, 193x200) Image search: [Google]
art thou vexed.jpg
18 KB, 193x200
ah good ole Blockbuster thread.

>Walk up to Blockbuster with best friend
>Friends dad set it up where Friend can use his dads card AND rent rated R or MA stuff without him
>always felt like Gods walking out with R rated movies and didn't need parents.

Also did this regularly, and I don't care, do something about it:
>At Blockbuster with friend and see the new hot game is available
>Cant rent it right now, plus would be a waste to rent it and already lose a day not playing it
>Take the rental box and hide it behind some stupid game like Barbies Horse Adventure
>come back at a later day, go to hidden spot and retrieve box
>sometimes see other kids actively looking for it where it should be
>ha
>>
>>3099206
>not cocking their heads slightly and reading the clamshell spines
Fuck 'em they didn't want it bad enough
>>
>>3099212
most of them did, but they couldn't be bothered to check at the other end of the aisle I guess.

If it was a particularly hot item at the time I would put it behind a game for a different system, which typically was either ps2 hiding in xbox or vice versa.
>>
Did the whole "No More Late Fees" Fiasco kill Blockbuster?

I know the times were changing and what not but, the money they must have spent on legal fees and settlements because of that disaster could have gone to making them at least attempt to keep up.
>>
>>3093201
Worms Armageddon
>>
>>3099228
Netflix killed Blockbuster and Redbox nailed the coffin shut. The "no more late fees" thing was just them trying to imitate Netflix's by-mail model (You can have one or two titles out for as long as you want you just can't get more until you return them) but by that time Netflix was already pushing the streaming which was basically game over for Blockbuster. Interestingly Netflix had WAY more content back then than i[t does now.
>>
>>3099259
To be honest I don't see how RedBox stays in business itself with Netflix and other streaming services available. All it is is a movie rental store compacted into the form of a vending kiosk.
>>
>>3099265
Pedo-loving ISPs imposing download limits.
>>
>>3093201
Destruction Derby 64.
>>
>>3093181
>tfw all my friends got a DVD player before I did
>tfw honestly didn't see the point of getting one

VHS (and cartridges) were always more comfy anyways. Do you think we'll get to a point when we'll miss CDs and DVDs?
>>
>tfw Blockbuster demanded we pay late fees on White Men Can't Jump even though it got stuck in the VCR during Hurricane Andrew

Fuck off, Blockbuster.
>>
>>3099382

No.

VHS is an objectively terrible format. CD's and DVD's either work or don't. VHS gets distortion.
>>
File: DSCN0190[1].jpg (445 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0190[1].jpg
445 KB, 1600x1200
>>3099386
I disagree, I still have all my Disney films I grew up with and every single tape I've bought for my kid works. No skipping, no menus to fuck with, Has the possibility of surviving if a toddler gets a hold of it, all those sweet previews and ads.

Line doubled with a tbc and they look pretty good. This is over composite from a shitty old Sharp vcr, I imagine it'd look better yet with a svhs player.

> I'm renting Rampart on snes, PREPARE FOR BATTLE
>>
>>3099385
I don't know why I laughed at this so hard.
>>
>>3099293
Maybe so, but the way I see it, an actual movie rental place is much more convenient than RedBox. If I wanted to rent Forrest Gump, the Deer Hunter and McClintock I could just go to Blockbuster and rent them. RedBox only has new releases.
>>
File: redcarrewinder.jpg (11 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
redcarrewinder.jpg
11 KB, 300x199
>>3093617
I had a rewinder that looked like a red sportscar.

I loved using that thing, I have no logical reason for it. Probably the best one I can think of is that it seemed less threatening to the videotape to put it in the rewinder rather than have it noisily disappear into the VCR where it sometimes got stuck.
>>
Mischief makers import, because it was the first an last game I ever rented. And I kept it.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (10 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
10 KB, 196x250
>>3093171
>WHAT AWESOME GAME ARE YOU GONNA RENTING TODAY?

Nothing... All the good games have been rented out.
>>
>>3095097
Mom always took me to Hollywood because Blockbuster was more expensive or something.
>>
>>3093171
Valis 3
I finally beat it the third time I rented it.
>>
>>3095097
i liked hollywood video a bit better because they had alot of older movies and games. it was so damn satisfying seeing rows and rows of cheesy 80s horror movies and a few older black and white movies.
>>
>>3093537
I just realized I rented Soul Blazer and never bought it...omg.
>>
>>3099265
Having films that are not available on Netflix, as well as games. Not to mention many rural or even just suburban areas have nasty ISPs that impose data limits that Netflix eats though like a fat kid with a chocolate bar.
>>
>>3100925
I live in Canada.

My brother lives in a more rural area so when he came down for Christmas last year he downloaded his entire steam library, then decided to reformat his PC, then download his entire stream library again.

So we went significantly over the limit for that month. Then Shaw basically told us that we need to throttle ourselves, by doing things like watching netflix in SD.

We don't have hard limits here, but they like to give "warnings" if you're downloading too much, and I guess if you're consistently downloading a lot over the course of months they'll encourage you to get the next package up.

Internet Providers are such scams.
>>
The best was in the 80s when there were mom & pop rental stores everywhere that were cheaper and sometimes carried more obscure titles than chains did. But I rented some real winners, like Deadly Towers, Hydlide and Where's Waldo.

My family never rented from Blockbuster (formerly Major Video) since we didn't have a credit card and my parents didn't want to pay a deposit to get a membership. At some point I figured out that Blockbuster was better to buy from than rent anyway. Got my hands on CIB copies of exclusives like Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut and Beast Wars Transmetals, a brand new copy of Mega Man Legends 2, and weird stuff like Game Factory for under $10 each. Also at a different store, boxed Earthbound for $6. Great times.
>>
>>3094085
I had this game forever. I finally beat it as an adult a few years ago. Feels good man.
Its not a good sonic game, but a good pinball thingy.
>>
>>3100925
see my other post:>>3100181
RedBox may have new releases that Netflix doesn't have, but Netflix has far more films overall that RedBox doesn't have than vice versa.
>>
>>3101008
Dont you just love that shit, what happened to unification?
>>
>>3093181
You would have to be about 10 years old to not know what a VHS tape is like.
>>
>>3100959
Not to mention. M&P stores had real adult movies, and chains did NOT.

>that fucking gag from zombiempsons
>Now you are equipped with CANCER
>>
>>3101031
Not exactly. You'd probably need to be on the low end of the not-terribly-underage spectrum, but I could see someone on here with a cutting edge family having no memory of using VHS. However, I'd say that image will be more applicable in 4 years or so.
>>
I'm gonna try to get Terminator 2 because my mega drive magazine has screenshots that make me think you get to play as a naked guy. Shit, its not there, guess I'll hire Jurassic Park again. Last time I only found out I could play as the raptor twenty minutes before we had to return it. A happy 5 year old that does not make.
>>
>>3093181
How haven't you gotten underage b& yet? This is unfair.
>>
>>3094275
Tfw you missed a weekend and the guy left you one save and took the other.

My first rental was zillion or ys for Sega master system from a mom and pop.

...... I was really fucking lucky with sms.
Zillion, Ys, Aztec adventure, rescue mission were all on the short list of awesome games. I thought they were middling crappy because I could t beat em because I was a kid. I was always looking for a stupid fun shiny game like Zelda or Mario.
>>
>>3101114
Got to dark palace in SoM when my save file survived weeks of rental neglect.
>>
>>3099259
>Interestingly Netflix had WAY more content back then than i[t does now
How so
>>
>>3094642
For some reason I really like that picture. Is that a specific Kroger from your childhood? Tell me about it.
>>
>>3096025
Yep. Here's the list.
http://www.blockbuster.com/franchise.html
>>
>>3093171
Donkey Kong 64 but I can't play it because I didn't have the expansion pack and didn't even know what one was back in 99!
>>
>>3101358
Nah just something off image search
>>
>>3101374
This list is actually outdated. Some of these are closed now.
>>
My cousin and I got to rent a 64 and Pokémon Snap one weekend. Shit was cash. I feel bad that kids these days can't rent systems.
>>
>>3096025
By that logic Subway went under.
>>
>>3101349
>Netflix in 2006: Is that movie we wanted to watch on Netflix? Yup
>Netflix in 2016: Let's browse new releases and see what we can watch
I'm guessing they did some research that indicated people would rather have a lower membership fee than a comprehensive library
>>
>>3101034
Family Videos all have a porn section to this very day
>>
File: PSFightingForceCover.jpg (40 KB, 325x322) Image search: [Google]
PSFightingForceCover.jpg
40 KB, 325x322
>>3093171
F I G H T I N G F O R C E

It's gonna be a good Friday night with the lads.
>>
I remember I once got a mega man game, but it was fucking corrupt so I couldn't save. Wasn't even a good game either, compared to the original mega man games.
>>
>>3101662
Subways aren't all locally owned and operated stores.
>>
>>3093171
the fuck is a blockbuster?
>>
>>3093171
Mom and who? My Mom's son?
>>
>>3101814
It's a movie and game renting store.
>>
>>3096025

A franchise is still part of a company, bro. It's not like I can open a Blockbuster theatre or a Blockbuster massage parlour or a Blockbuster haberdashery.

If you're claiming all these franchises don't comprise a company then why aren't they all just their own separate video stores?
>>
>>3100161
>Road to El Dorado
>Disney

Top kek anon. Your mommy couldn't afford to rent you a real Disney movie!
>>
>>3093540
Gotta look into this game, I discovered him thanks to gifs of that one hentai , but his art was also used for dozens of other games. The US release of Cybernator removes his character portraits but the rest of his art is still intact.
>those doe eyes
I fucking love how he draws women
>>
Head straight to the anime section because sometimes theres hentai videos.

Had my own tv/vcr in my room.
>>
>>3101898
The Blockbuster name is owned by Dish Network. They allow these stores to use the Blockbuster name under license.
>>
>>3093201

I remember accidentally renting Jumping Flash because the shelves were messed up, and it was in the box behind Air Combat.

At first I was like "Woah what the fuck is this bunny bullshit, I wanted awesome fighter jets" but then a couple weeks later I ended up having my mum fucking buy me it.

Those were the days.
>>
Can't go wrong with Bomberman Hero.
>>
>>3093191

We had one of those little standalone devices that automatically rewound VHS tapes.
>>
>>3093181
I still have mountains of old tapes recorded from TV from the 90s
>>
>>3101898
>thinks he understands what franchises are
>>
>>3093181
Are VHSes that uncommon? I had a VCR until like 2010 or so.
>>
File: 1398565092649.jpg (380 KB, 738x763) Image search: [Google]
1398565092649.jpg
380 KB, 738x763
>>3093201
As far as retro titles go:

Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon
Mega Man X
Mega Man Legends
Skies of Arcadia
Silent Hill

And probably lots more that I'm just forgetting. I think the bulk of my gaming as a kid came from renting and borrowing games from friends, which was what exposed me to a lot of my current favorites.
>>
>>3093504
I wonder why they took all the signs back. Most businesses just leave that shit behind.
>>
>>3099386
>VHS is an objectively terrible format
>Only gets distortion

How exactly is that worse than a CD or DVD that takes a shit the second you get a hairline crack on it?
>>
>>3101039
This. My friend's parents got a DVD player damn near the day they were released in the United States. I remember it wouldn't read DVD-R and eventually wouldn't read a lot of the newer releases due to formatting issues.

Yeah, they HAD a VCR, but we never watched that shit. I was always jealous of all the nice shit they had and didn't appreciate.
>>
>>3102870
That's literally no different from a VHS developing a tear in the ribbon.
>>
No big name rental store in my town, just Papa's Videos.

>new release games about a month after they came out
>good customers got put into a lottery for first weekend rental of new stuff
>free weekend rental of 2 movies and one game plus a yummy pack of a 2 liter, pizza coupon, and your favorite candy on your birthday for regulars
>report card A's got free rentals
>free cleaning of Nofriendo/VCR machines once a year for regulars
>you could do after school chores for rentals or to pay off late fees
>never an asshole on anything, wife had cookies on Friday for us regulars

I remember when he had to close because his wife got sick. There was only two of us who were good regulars that he had come in for a special close out. He had us come in and pick the games we wanted for a buck each, plus posters if we wanted them. He explained what was going on, and that he was liquidating as his wife was going down fast and he wanted to spend the rest of her time together. It really ripped a hole in the town.
>>
>>3102902
There is actually a world of difference.
>>
>>3093181
Fuck, anon, we still have a VHS player and a bunch of tapes at home. No real reason; just didn't have any need to get rid of it.
>>
File: Superman64box.jpg (31 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
Superman64box.jpg
31 KB, 250x175
>hmm super man? I bet I could fly around that should be awesome!
>>
My buddy has Hook for Sega Genesis that he bought from an old video rental place from around my home town.
I can't believe he never beat it when it had unlimited continues.
>>
>>3102858
They still had a brand that they wanted to salvage for their ill-fated streaming business. All the dead locations hanging around just hurt their reputation more.
>>
>>3102980
>tfw you rent a bad game
What was it, /vr/?
>>
>>3102940
this made a 33yr old man quite sad. I miss my mom&pop's
>>3102902
youngin? you can bond magnetic tape back together, you will miss a little but it can function again.
>>3101903
I have almost every single one at this point. It's just what my daughter was watching at the time. btw this movie ends with two best friends in a polyamorous relationship with a thick south american qt.

>>3101653
remember those giant blow molded cases they came in? looked like you were carrying out power tools.
>>
>>3103050
Sub-Zero Mythologies on N64
>>
File: Krustys_Super_Fun_House_(NA).jpg (114 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
Krustys_Super_Fun_House_(NA).jpg
114 KB, 640x437
>>3103050
>>3102980
For some reason I actually enjoyed these shitty games as a kid. I guess because they were only temporary so I still had fun with them. I remember always renting simpsons and looney tunes games. Snes had a huge amount of shovelware.
>>
>Two of my best friends work at Blockbuster
>Hang out at Blockbuster all the time
>Take advantage of their employee checkouts while they're working to go make copis of Playstation games in my very expensive CDR drive
>Hide theft prevention tags in all their clothes as well as I possibly can so they set off the alarm literally every single time
The best hidden one I had to show him where I'd hidden it after Blockbuster was out of business he wasn't able to find it for like 8 years
>>
>>3102943
No, it's completely apt. If fuckface's counter to distortion is "but it doesn't work when it's broken" then my counter to that is "nothing works when it's broken."
>>
>>3103054
>youngin?
I'm 34 and was a rich kid. I've had plenty of tapes wear out, I've never watched a DVD to death like a tape.
>>
>>3103147
I destroyed Robin Hood as a kid but it could've been repaired. had it been on dvd and ripped in half there would be no repair. That is the only cassette I've ever broken in 33? years. I do see your [point though with proper care there is almost zero wear on an optical disc aside from mounting it on the spindle.
>>
Probably super mario rpg, mario kart, or like bart's nightmare.
Dont rent barts nightmare again ffs.
>>
>>3093617
watch movie, never rewind. Here is your movie. Fuck that shit blockbuster.
>>
More like well shit I washed dishes for 8 hours, lets go to blockbuster, alone.
>>
>>3103209
did you jam out to wingnut dishwashers union?
>>
File: avgn.gif (735 KB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
avgn.gif
735 KB, 300x252
>>3102870
Stop putting dvd in you ass anon, never ruined a disc in my life.
>>
>>3093181
Still got dozens of tapes, couple of weird anime stuff and pretty notable movies that I'm too lazy to get on DVD.
Also got the N64 star fox tape and a tape for a preview of Sonic Adventure along side other game previews like Legacy of Kane Soul Reaver and Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3103543
Uh, what?

You still have a hooked up VCR that you use on like, a modern TV?
>>
>>3100161
>I imagine it'd look better yet with a svhs player.

SVHS VCR only has an advantage if it plays actual SVHS tapes - and virtually nothing except old camcorder stuff is SVHS.

SVHS is pretty cool though, almost DVD quality picture on tape.
>>
>>3103563
I would think the s-video output to the line doubler would improve image quality somewhat. And done most high end svhs have 6 heads (4 video l+r audio) vs 4 on the vcr (2 video l+r audio)? I know the picture is better on the player used in my previous post than the old hitachi in the kid's room
>>
>grew up so poor we could rarely afford blockbuster, and if we could, it would only be movies.

I hate rental stores, I once got to rent a winnie the pooh video for my birthday from a third party rental store. The old lady there said she wanted to watch that one with the most sad tone ever, made me feel like shit.

You guys had it nice.
>>
File: 1331412371301.jpg (413 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1331412371301.jpg
413 KB, 1000x750
>>3102940
>his wife got sick

I didn't come here for these feels.
>>
>>3103042
But why would they take all their signs back, but an gas station, Radio Shack, Starbucks, et cetera will just leave the sign there when they pack up and leave.

I know, I know. I'm thinking too much about it. Just seems like a waste of money.
>>
>>3103138
..... What? Either it's too early, or you need to rephrase what you said. Are you agreeing with me that it's different, or arguing that distortion = not being able to use it at all?
>>
>>3103360
>Never ruined a disc in my life
>6 years

Give it time, you will some day.
>>
>>3102940
Stop making me feel things.

Did you live in the boonies somewhere? I lived in the suburbs and everything around us was corporate with few exceptions. Nobody cared about "regulars" at any of the stores we frequented.
>>
>>3104000 (checked)
It's like he said, for every town to have an empty Blockbuster store would have damaged people's trust of the streaming service ("hurt the brand") of course it was already damaged beyond repair, we see that clearly now that the streaming service also failed. In fact we consumers probably could have told them that but Blockbuster was well known for their arrogance (another thing that hurt the brand long ago)
>>
>>3095040
So you could say the rewinder be kinder?
>>
>>3103054
>>3103757
>>3104146
Small town shop. We had a bigger name store, but new releases were unicorns there and it wasn't comfy like Papa's.

I mean, what fucking video store would wipe a late fee or give you a free rental for an A or B+ on a big test? Hell, he let the poor kid do light work like tending to the flowers and stack stuff for rentals and snacks. There was just no comparison.
>>
>>3093181

VHS is still popular with young kids. CRT is cheap, VCRs are cheap and VHS tapes are cheap, and the whole thing is idiot proof so the kids can't fuck anything up.
>>
>>3104786
I watched Ace Ventura 2 on VHS with a kid I babysat the other day.
>>
>>3099228

That shit was such bullshit.

>2005
>Rent "True Crime: New York City"
>"Return it within 30 days and you only have to pay a small restocking fee."
>Return on Day 30
>Get a bill for $50
>Throw the bill in the trash, stop going to Block Buster
>Four years later they're out of business.

I won.
>>
Yeah, I'll just rent Pokémon Stadium 2 again. If they are out of that Kirby 64 or Bomberman Heroes.
>>
>>3093171
I rented Majora's Mask at least 4 times and I always got the same cartridge that had my save file on it.

Man, I miss carts.
>>
>>3104806
>regularly rent a cart
>someone else had rented it and wiped the file
Damn my ego and always wanting file 1...
>>
>>3093181
Underage don't get to post here.
>>
Fun fact, when I was 10 working at Blockbuster was my ideal part time dream job while I went through college. The year I graduate high school was one year after they closed down. There was a Movie Scene near my college but they closed down too.
F
>>
Was anyone else absolutely terrible with late fees?

>Go to the local store
>Rack up huge late fees bill
>Stop going to the local store
>Go to another store
>Rack up huge late fees bill
>Stop going to that store too.
>Rinse and repeat

In a span of six years our family ended up going through at least six stores. At one of them my Dad had the cops called on him and a corporate ban because he attacked the poor teenaged clerk when he found out how big his bill was.

There was a span of three years where I just couldn't rent anything. It only turned around when I turned 13 and was able to open my own account.
>>
>>3104806
>>3104813

I sucked at games so piggybacking on other people's saves was the only way to see later levels in DKC and SMW.
>>
>>3104823
F
>tfw you had a blockbuster down the street
At least Redbox is a thing...don't use it often tho
>>
>>3104825
You were literally a serf-tier white being jerked around by jews. They know people like you aren't actually as responsible as they want to act like they are and get you to agree to obscene usury levels of economic leverage "but only if you don't blah blah blah on time" q.v. the housing crisis, the credit card debt pool and the home lending bubble.
>>
>>3104859
wut
>>
Probably Ape Escape or Jurassic Park for the PS1.

There's still a mom and pop store in my town, but they do only video. I love it and try and rent from them when I can. It's on the same road as my favorite pizza place so sometimes I'll pick up a couple movies and a pizza and have a good night in.
>>
>>3104786
>VHS is still popular with young kids. CRT is cheap, VCRs are cheap and VHS tapes are cheap, and the whole thing is idiot proof so the kids can't fuck anything up.

How millenial are you?
>>
>>3101374
>there are 7 open blockbuster videos in El Paso in 2016
>>
>>3104890

Born in 1990.
>>
>>3099259
I think it was DVDs being really cheap that killed Blockbuster more than the internet. No reason to go to Blockbuster when you can buy DVDs at Wal-Mart for $5.
>>
File: 2013-07-31-09.36.35-1024x578.jpg (108 KB, 1024x578) Image search: [Google]
2013-07-31-09.36.35-1024x578.jpg
108 KB, 1024x578
One of the Blockbusters I went to as a kid is now a martial arts academy (pictured). Before that we'd go to a mom and pop store for rentals.

What have your Blockbusters become?
>>
File: 1458353388067.jpgXX0001.jpg (286 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458353388067.jpgXX0001.jpg
286 KB, 1280x1080
>>3104859
>>
>>3104920
one's a dollar store, one's an insurance office

there's a mom and pop video store one town over that's still open, i might go check it out
>>
>>3104861
it's just /pol/, don't reply
>>
>>3104786
thats why i still buy disney for the kiddo. my 2 year old can use her vcr unassisted.
>>3104890
I know a bunch of parents with crt and vcr's in their kids' rooms
>>
>>3093171
In The Hunt, Klonoa, Air combat, Ace Combat 3, Spyro, Croc and one treasure diving game we never learned the name of
>>
>>3104890
The only reason my kids don't have a VCR in their room anymore is because I got DirecTV and therefor have no need for them to touch the first flat screen I ever purchased 6 years ago that's somehow still kicking.
>>
>>3093181
i still have my working vcr and a vhs copy of star wars ep1

>ep 1
i never watched it until last year
meh it's ok i guess
>>
>>3105462
Are flat screens supposed to die early? Or is it just that it survived children?>>3100161 is from 2006 and still looks great. The ipod dock is iffy now though
>>
File: 2016-03-31 22.18.51.jpg (75 KB, 282x256) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-31 22.18.51.jpg
75 KB, 282x256
>>3104920
Got turned into a medical center, I wasn't particularly attached to the location but it was the last one in the area to close
>>
>>3093171
my dad always looked so ashamed when i'd get puzzle fighter on ps1. like fuck you dad it's the best puzzle game ever
>>
>>3104920
some depressing matress store
>>
>Parents divorce when I'm 8
>Move to new town with Mom and sister.
>Only go to Blockbuster a couple of times ever.
>Just for movies, never snacks or VG.
>No video games when I was a kid-before divorce, my dad was against them. After divorce, too poor.
>Just borrowed movies from library when I was older and started with Netflix (when it was cheap and good) when I was 18.
>Feel "eh" when Blockbuster goes away.

Anyone else feel the same? I do miss the Pokemon Snap machine, but I didn't have the game nor an N64, so I couldn't have done anything with it, anyway.
>>
>>3104920
They turned it into a T-Mobile store lol. I remember when Blockbuster was going out of business and they were selling all their stock. Got so many xbox games that were scratched to fuck but somehow still worked. Never spent more than 20 bucks for 5+ games
>>
>>3105704
There's a functioning Pokémon snap center with sealed boxes of cards and sticker rolls on craigslist.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/vgm/5484628348.html
>>
>>3106416
became a 7-11
>>
>>3105704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>3104920
Opthamologist
>>
>>3093179

>MFW she know's full well I have enough good boy points saved up for a blockbuster trip
>that stupid bitch can't screw me over
>>
>>3093171
I will rent Little Samson

and conveniently "lose" the cart somewhere, parents will pay the fee anyway
>>
>>3104920
The one in my hometown with my dad is now a veterinary office.

The one where my mom lives is still there.
>>
>>3093191
you used to have to rewind dvds when they first came out. I was watching Goodfellas on DVD and it confused the shit outta me.
>>
>>3109685
>you used to have to rewind dvds when they first came out.
>>>/traffic/
>>
File: Kenzi.jpg (118 KB, 1092x647) Image search: [Google]
Kenzi.jpg
118 KB, 1092x647
>>3100184
my grandmother had one of these.
My nigga.
>>
>>3104920
The one from really early childhood is a restaurant now I think and the one from later is still there because someone modeled it like a castle for some reason.
>>
>>3105550
I had always heard at the time that they die early. It's a Vizio, which is a "cheap" brand, and it's lasted a long time, in my opinion, based on the rumors I've heard regarding power board failures, backlight going out, dead zones, et cetera.
>>
>>3104920
My favorite one was Mr Movies. It's now a Sherwinn Williams.

There was also the one my dad always brought us to called Current World that the grocery store that it shared a building with expanded into it.

We had a kind of shitty one called Video Plus that stopped having shit you were looking for around 1998, and we had a Blockbuster for a while but I was hardly nostalgic about it considering I went there one time with my friend's mom and she forgot to bring the copy of James Bond Agent Under Fire back until well after they went out of business.
>>
>>3093181
>>
>>3104920
Is now an Autozone
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1857x699) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1857x699
>>3104920
Here's a pic of the Blockbuster I rented lots of games from off google maps, the Verizon store has been there a while now. Another place I used to rent videos from is now a 7-11, and two other local places I'd rent stuff from are now just empty.
>>
>>3093171
>Rent Hey You, Pikachu!
>They didn't give you the mic adapter

God dammit, I didn't even know what I was doing but I think you couldn't get past the start screen.
>>
>>3113401
That's terrible. I hope your parents made a fuss when they returned it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-03-17-03-15.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-03-17-03-15.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>3104920
Still a Blockbuster.
>>
>>3093171

Oldfag here.

Blockbuster going under was one of the best days of my life. They literally ruined movies.

I do miss renting games though.
>>
I usually went to Movie Gallery instead.
>>
>>3093201
Holy shit I think I remember playing this game on N64. I loved exploring the world and always stuck to me.
>>
File: bobsy.jpg (114 KB, 476x346) Image search: [Google]
bobsy.jpg
114 KB, 476x346
>>3113461
glitch in the matrix
>>
Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut and I'll "lose" the game and make mommy buy it.
>>
>>3104920
You know, all the Blockbusters in my city are all empty.
>>
>>3104920
An Autozone
And the one I went to the most by my cousins house just sits there, empty...
>>
>>3103553
Yeah, as gay as that may be. I connect my DC, NES, and SNES/N64 to it in order to have all of those and my other systems hooked up.
>>
>>3106423
I want that so bad
>>
>>3104920
autoparts store
my old hollywood video has been an abandoned building for over 6 years now
>>
>>3095003
I remember my dad getting Madden 2001 from blockbuster. It's when they started selling movies and discs. Still have it.

And any legacy console is considered Retro gaming.
>>
>>3096025
What r these franchises like? Anyone been to one?
>>
>>3099206
Any good VHS to digital converters? Basically where you can convert VHS tapes into digital files.
>>
>>3113789
A caprice card? You want a good vcr with clean heads for that, look into a cheap svhs. S-video and better audio.
>>
>>3113461 here

>>3113783
Just like they were except it's all optical media and They don't rent consolses, vcrs or dvd players.
There's still an anime section at the one pictured but it gets no new additions.
Still has the impulse wall with coolers candy, cheap movies for sale, trinkets etc.
>>
>>3101746
Or maybe just film companies hiked up the licensing fees and didn't want all there movies on there :-)
>>
>>3113806
Shit, capture card.
>>
>>3113812
>Because film companies hate making money
>>
>>3102940
Couldn't he have just sold it to you?
>>
>>3113789
Probably the simplest way to do it is to use a VCR/DVD-R combo to make DVD "masters" from the VHS tapes then rip the DVDs to whatever digital format you want to use. I've been thinking about doing this for some horror movies I've collected that have not been released on DVD and selling them on eBay just to see if I get in trouble and/or how much I could get for them.
>>
>>3102980
I just loved flying around
>>
>>3103054
>It ends with Miguel and Julio bangin' Chel

You know, I remember them having that Julio and Chel scene specifically to avoid that notion, but in hindsight, yeah, they never really did solidified any sort of romantic or sexual bond. This is not even bringing up the fact Chel would totally fuck both of them.
>>
File: I'mtakingyouwithmebub.gif (329 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
I'mtakingyouwithmebub.gif
329 KB, 256x256
>>3103050
Glover.
>>
>>3104529
I actually remember the last time we went to one.

>just got an Xbox 360 for my bday in 2008 so thought it would be nice to rent some games.

>the clerk said Blockbuster will only allow purchases using your social

>we noped out of there

After that I just bought games that Look good.
>>
>>3113829
Hell the horse might have got in on some.

Also I have 2 or 3 16bit carts I got from bb when they were getting phased out. Too bad I didn't get there earlier. Poor nec kids my bb was nintendo and sega only
>>
>>3104920
>O'Reilys auto parts
>>
File: 1410139058879.jpg (52 KB, 386x249) Image search: [Google]
1410139058879.jpg
52 KB, 386x249
Maybe this is just me.

But I always found something really creepy about a rented thing that went unsought for.
>>
>>3106416
$20 for 5 games

>Not spending $100 on 20+ games.

Either go big or go home. When a store is closing either go big or go home. Your suppose to buy alot of shit.
>>
File: 1392329920833.jpg (13 KB, 210x273) Image search: [Google]
1392329920833.jpg
13 KB, 210x273
>wanting to rent one game in particular
>rental copy is never behind the game box
>ever
>>
>>3104825
I heard some of these companies would send debt collectors after you. Is that true? Anyone else?
>>
>>3113873
>go big or go home
>go big or go home
just go away
>>
>>3113873
Why? 99% of what's left is going to be 2005 sports games or other garbage.
>>
>>3102940
>report card A's got free rentals
Shit man. When I was in elementary school students who got straight A's and Honor Roll got a packet of coupons with their report card for a ton of places in town as a reward. Shit like free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut, a free vanilla cone from the local ice cream store, and a free game or movie rental from both. Coming home with that shit was the best feeling, because it meant a weekend of pizza and awesome games. They stopped doing them when I was in second or third grade though, never found out why, and Gatorland closed a year or two later because it was in the middle of nowhere and the other store was smashing its ass in sales.
>>
>>3113821
What movies?
>>
>>3093171
I got to keep a bunch of unreturned shit when blockbuster closed. One of my buddies even broke in to our local one with some other dudes after the news went out that they are closing.

>stocked on popcorn for months
>massed a collection of games that didn't get marked for rental
>even more movies
>snacks

I used to repeatedly rent Conker's, Perfect Dark, Road Rash and StarCraft 64 though.
>>
>>3113886
Aggggh..

Someone always, always, ALWAYS had rented out Yoshi's Island.

It drove me fucking crazy.

By the time of the PS2 era, they were stacking plenty of copies of every game though.
>>
>>3101746
When Netflix was relatively young, way before streaming, they found that most of their customer base was requesting/receiving older movies WAY more often than new releases. The big selling point of Netflix was their massive library of old stuff, not the new stuff.
>>
>>3113873
>Your suppose to buy alot of shit.

Why didn't you pay attention in English class?
>>
>>3114041
A bunch. Whenever I see small studio clamshells as I'm thrifting I give them a dig. Gotta get into stuff like that now that thrifting retro games is busted (except PC).

>>3114431
Well their streaming library is a lot less massive than it used to be. I can't be the only person who's noticed that?
>>
Never in my life have I visited a legit Blockbuster. We had a crappy local place I used to rent Starfox 64 from occasionally tho.
>>
>>3114037
I remember getting the Pizza Hut pizzas for reading 10 books every month. We don't have Pizza Hut anymore so idk.
>>
RIP xtravision
>>
File: 375996-treasure_of_the_deep.jpg (300 KB, 975x978) Image search: [Google]
375996-treasure_of_the_deep.jpg
300 KB, 975x978
>>3105396
>one treasure diving game we never learned the name of

This one?
>>
>>3114496
I do they used to have sword of the stranger, went to re-watch it the other day and it was gone. Kickass movie if you're in to anime.
>>
>>3093201
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon I discovered in a magazine then rented it. A few years later when the PS2 came out and blockbuster was getting rid of some old games I snagged it for friggin 5 bucks with manual.

Oddly enough, they also included the blockbuster box it came in... I think I may still have it kicking around. Always loved the little descriptions they would have on the back of them...
>>
>>3093171
Did anyone else get those coupons in the mail that let you rent one game and rent a second for free?

>>3093606
> No internet
Well... There were BBSes, IRC channels and mailing lists (although those were spammy as fuck)

Also yeah it was about $5 or $6 bucks give or take, or at least, that's the price I remember
>>
>>3093171
> Riding home from school/super market/whatever
> Car takes a turn
> Realize you're not taking the normal route home
> Realize you're heading in the direction of video rental store
> HEART RATE ELEVATES
> JUBILATION BEGINS

Fuck you for making me remember OP. Now I'm just sitting here at my 9-5 wishing yearning for more care free days
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 70

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.