[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>GAME FORCES YOU TO USE ALL CAPS FOR NAMES >NPC names are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: ShiningInTheDarkness_ (12).png (50 KB, 230x201) Image search: [Google]
ShiningInTheDarkness_ (12).png
50 KB, 230x201
>GAME FORCES YOU TO USE ALL CAPS FOR NAMES
>NPC names are not even in all caps
>>
I don't know what you are talking about, ANON.
>>
Christ that bothers me in FF6.

BANON: Hi, I'm Banon.
TERRA: Hi, my name is TERRA.

or

BANON: Hi, I'm Banon.
Terra: Hi, my name is Terra.

It doesn't match either way you do it.
>>
>>2845919
i was just about to say the same thing.
>>
Isn't that mainly an issue of localization?
>>
>>2845930
That might have something to do with it. I know that is one of the main reasons for a small character limit on older RPGs and such. You can say a lot more with four Japanese characters than you can with four English letters.
>>
>>2845912
>Game let's you name characters using lowercase
>The entire rest of the game is in uppercase
>>
>>2845930
No, it's just laziness.
>>
Worst offender is Shining force 2.
>>
>>2845919
At least that's only with the vanilla SNES version nowadays, and there's patches and the like to fix it.

Pokemon, on the other hand, everything retro but the FRLG remake, and even then there's a ton and a half of hex edits your way had you needing to jump through hoops to decapitalize that shit.

It feels fucking weird to be the only lowercase thing in the whole game.
>>
>>2845930
More like people thought kids outside Japan wouldn't read, so the CAPITAL LETTER ITEMS are important.
>>
>>2846046
Especially since it wasn't a problem in the -previous- game.
>>
>>2846049
At least they fixed it in the new games.
>>
>>2846049
There's a hack, Fire Red Throwback, that does this for you and also modernizes a few things, it's the perfect Pokémon experience imo
>>
>CURSE YOU, ZELDA!
>CURSE YOU, SAGES!
>CURSE YOU, Link!
>>
>>2845930
Yeah, usually a console is designed to have Kata Kana and Kanji font sets, with only English characters in all caps to save space
>>
File: Crystalis_gameplay.png (4 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
Crystalis_gameplay.png
4 KB, 256x240
>game's saving system is an unreliable piece of trash
>>
File: 1416211835992.png (2 MB, 987x720) Image search: [Google]
1416211835992.png
2 MB, 987x720
>>2845912
>Game doesn't have the option to default to a canon name by pressing Start
>>
>>2847151
I've played that for years and have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>2847151
My copy is twenty something years old, pretty regularly used and has no issues.
>>
Hated it in pokemon the most
>>
>>2846081
>Throwback
>modernizes things

That's not how it works.
>>
The most stupid thing in FF6, is when you're escaping the magitek facility, and there's a bit of dialogue that says "Oh no! It's the Imperial Air Force ( IAF! )"
Why the fuck did it even abbreviate it to IAF when the term is never used again? It's only that once. That's always bothered me.
>>
>Hello FAGGOT!
>Have you gone to the town of Aspie? You should visit Bill the Innkeeper.
>No? Then farewell, FAGGOT.
>>
File: 1434340224171.gif (323 KB, 500x554) Image search: [Google]
1434340224171.gif
323 KB, 500x554
>>2848706
>game already puts the canon name in for you at the start and lets you put in your own name afterwards
>>
>>2852391
Dont they use the IAF term again when you are getting ready to go to floating continent?
>>
>>2852391
it was written out all funny in the Japanese version too, like
(帝....国....空....軍)
with the characters spaced out really far. I think they did that to indicate that it was the name of a branch of the imperial military, and not just, like, guys in the army who fly shit.
>>
>>2855301
Wait never mind, I looked it up. In Japanese it says:
インペリアル・エアフォース
(帝 国 空 軍)
So the issue is, in Japanese, it's called the Imperial Airforce (using English). But people playing the game might not know enough English to understand that, so in parentheses it says 帝国空軍, which is "imperial airforce" in Japanese. I guess old Ted either didn't pick up on that or thought that the alternate writing helped set the tone in some way.
>>
>game lets you use more than 4 letters
>it's shortened to 4 letters most of the time

JUSTin
>>
>>2852391
>>2855301
>>2855317

This whole situation reminds me of Samurai Champloo's baseball episode.

In dubbed, they have a translator speaking jap-accent broken english to the japanese characters interpreting for american characters who are speaking english.

It makes sense with japanese language, but is nonsensical dubbed.
>>
File: 1439946913027.jpg (32 KB, 448x545) Image search: [Google]
1439946913027.jpg
32 KB, 448x545
>>2845912
>GAME FORCES YOU TO PLAY AS A CIS, WHITE MALE PERPETUATING A PATRIARCHAL MONARCHY
>>
>>2847151
You restart at the last town you visited. That's hardly "unreliable", confusing, or even unique.
>>
>>2855416
>GAME MADE BY FEMALE FORCES YOU TO PLAY AS FEMALE
>INEVITABLY GET RAPED
It's almost like even women can't write decent drama for female characters without resorting to it
>>
>>2852374
But Pokemon never fucks you like that.
>>
>>2855416
/v/ is that way.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.