[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DDR Extreme to Stepmania conversion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 20151126_021133.jpg (465 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
20151126_021133.jpg
465 KB, 747x1328
alright reposting from >>/diy/906420 hopefully this is an appropriate board

Hi guys, I have a pic related in my garage and I'm having trouble trying to set up Stepmania on this Korean Extreme cabinet.

I need a lot of help, but even answering just a few questions will help me a lot.
>>
File: 20151126_021152.jpg (374 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
20151126_021152.jpg
374 KB, 747x1328
>>2819154
Being that I'm a stupid idiot who's never built computers and knows nothing about how computer hardware works, I have no idea what to do with these connectors. I connected the PS/2 to USB cable and the VGA cable from the J-PAC, but I'm not sure what else to do with these.
>>
File: 20151126_021141.jpg (311 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
20151126_021141.jpg
311 KB, 747x1328
>>2819156
Right now I don't have a new computer or hard drive to put this on yet, so I'm testing it on this Boxor Roxor motherboard (?) that a friend gave me.

What do with this

I still don't know what to do with the other connectors
>>
File: 20151126_021158.jpg (281 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
20151126_021158.jpg
281 KB, 747x1328
>>2819157
also, if I do use the boxor roxor, do I need to get an ArcadeVGA still? I mean, I'd think the boxor roxor was initially intended for shitty crt tvs that ran at 15khz anyhow, but I know nothing about technologies lelel
>>
This is actually one of the funniest threads I've seen in ages. Hope you get the help you need f/\m
>>
>>2819161
I hope it's the good kind of funny and not /b/ funny lol
>>
If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch the CRT unless you want to kill yourself. Even if it's been unplugged for a long time.

What you essentially want to do is gut the cabinet, put a PC in it running Stepmania or OpenITG, hook it to the display (original one or not), and build / buy a control box for the dance pad.
>>
>>2819156
>So many fucking power supplies
I actually had no idea DDR was JAMMA so I guess that's lucky but the first thing you should be doing is getting everything put back together and functioning as best you can as it came originally since that's the cheapest way to verify what components are all working and what needs to be repaired. Why is it all torn apart? What is its official condition?

If you don't do this first, you may get overwhelmed. I have no idea what a "boxoroxor" is but if you can be assured that its outputting a signal that your monitor can sync (15khz?) then you can use it to test but I doubt it is. That could be another alternate first step, to get its output compatible with your monitor.
>>
Is your friend TheOnlyJoey from the Netherlands? Because I see a thread on that Boxor Roxor forum where he was trying in 2009 to do exactly what you're trying to do. I would strongly recommend you abandon trying to use that thing unless you're very familiar with Unix which I doubt you are. I can't imagine that you are based on what you're posting.

Is the original PCB or whatever from the DDR cabinet missing? If it is, you should be buying a cheap PC and an older ATI card that's compatible with CRT_emudriver. Get Windows XP running and displaying on the cabinet's monitor and you'll be at least started in the right direction.
>>
>>2819479
I don't know him

It's got the original 573 logic sitting on the pads.
>>2819467
It's a working machine. I tore it apart to start my conversion.
>>
>>2819941
Okay well put it back together for now. It's good that you have a JPac but without something (a computer) putting out 15khz RGB over its de15 "vga" port it's useless. You absolutely need to familiar yourself with 15khz drivers and whatever other frequencies the monitor in your cab will sync with. You might want to also think about adding a usb arcade stick to the cabinet so you can play other games on it - obviously keep the dance pads on the JAMMA running into the ps/2 ports though.

I'm pretty dark on those extra power supplies too. I'm guessing one runs the amplifier for the big ass speakers DDR cabs have and the other one runs maybe the lighting effects? You may have a hard time getting those to work with stepmania.
>>
You probably want to look into getting a sows invite dude, they'd be a lot more help to you than /vr/ with stuff like this.
>>
>>2821463
sows?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.