[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beavis and Butthead arcade game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 2beavers.jpg (65 KB, 461x614) Image search: [Google]
2beavers.jpg
65 KB, 461x614
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD5JuRc7fN4
Did this odd Beavis & Butthead arcade game get any press back in the day?

apparently never got finished and now a cabinet just sits at some arcade
>>
>>2727620
WOW! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS! Looks REALLY interesting! Never heard of this before.
>>
bump for a potentially interesting thread.

i used to play "virtual stupidity" on the pc back when that came out and a friend let me borrow the CD. bit i had never heard of this one until today...
>>
>>2727620

EGM did a section on it before when they were covering "Beavis and Butthead Do Hollywood" which was another cancelled game. It's quite a rare find, allegedly only two were made, one was at the MTV office. One belonged to Mike Judge and no one has dumped the ROM.
>>
>>2728606
I hope it gets dumped some day, I'd love more games of my favorite cartoon. I noticed something odd, I see four coin slots that imply four players, but only two joysticks.
>>
>>2728789
two look blanked out. This was pretty common back then. It was cheaper to use a standard 4 because it was interchangeable on all your cabinets.
>>
>>2727620
The 3d background effects look really good. what year was this game and what was the hardware?
>>
>>2729017
Somebody said it's a derivative of the 3DO board

doesn't look too far off
>>
>>2729346
hmm really impressive for 3DO hardware. Wonder why they cancelled it in 1996 when the show was so popular?
>>
>>2729370
same reason most things get cancelled

>developers didn't make the deadline
>publisher is moving past certain hardware or industry standards IE: let's not do arcade games anymore or use licensed properties
>the product didn't impress a focus group or the publishers despite giving them money to develop the game in the first place
>an anvil fell on the computer containing the source and development hardware

you know stuff like that
>>
>>2729370
>>2729916

Legend goes in Arcade circles that shit ton of Arcade prototypes got cancelled around 1995 simply because companies saw Killer Instinct at trade shows and shat a brick. A lot of 2D games using traditional animation or digitized footage got the axe around 95/96 after KI became a massive hit and Midway announced they were dumping Digitized for full 3D starting with War Gods and MK4 would be a fully 3D game.

Beavis And Butthead would have been a good license but operators weren't interested in yet another quarter muncher beat 'em up as big spectacle games like Daytona USA and Killer Instinct started arriving. It was a victim of a changing market and coming in too late. Was very interesting to know more than two got made in this thread because as said, legend was the only ones that existed were in the possession of Mike Judge and one at MTV. A couple of location test units must have made it out and are in collector hands now.
>>
>>2727620
Atari prototype - it sometimes shows at California Extreme
http://caextreme.org/
which is probably where OP's pic was taken. The machine in the background with the Atari logo is an Akka Arrh prototype.
>>
The Genesis version of Beavis & Butthead is really good but hard, I remember renting it as a kid and never beating it.
>>
>>2729370

as a 37yo who was a big B&B fan back in the day, by 96 the show's popularity had fallen considerably from it's height. there was a short renewed interest when the movie came out, but the show was pretty much dead by then.
>>
This was fun.
>>
>>2733002

And of course Daria was out by 97, which myself and friends of the time were far more interested in than the somewhat played out B&B. Had this seen a release it would've made basically no money, can understand the cancellation although it does suck when it happens this late in development.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.