[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Neo Geo/AES/CD/Pocket thread? What games would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 201504031241245eb66.jpg (85 KB, 550x530) Image search: [Google]
201504031241245eb66.jpg
85 KB, 550x530
Can we have a Neo Geo/AES/CD/Pocket thread?
What games would you recommend for someone looking into getting a Pocket Color?
>>
>>2811160
The NGPC has some the best fighting games on a retro handheld, if you're into that kind of thing.

The game library itself is nothing special compared to the massive gameboy, but that's expected.

Sonic pocket adventure is the best sonic game ever made imo. There's also a pokemon clone with robots, it's pretty cool. Some of the puzzle games are pretty good too. I can't think of anything else that made this system special. It kind of sucks really, but that's the library's fault for not being varied enough and not having enough third party support.
>>
>>2811228
I completely forgot about Metal Slug. If you get a pocket, definitely get those.
>>
>>2811160
There are going to be like 30 people that will run in and recommend you play Card Fighters. And every last one of them is right.
>>
Yes, NGPC rules.

Personal favorites:
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
King of Fighters R-2
SNK vs. Capcom: Cardfighter's Clash (SNK version)
Dark Arms
Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
SNK Gals' Fighters
Samurai Shodown! 2
>>
Near the tail end of the NGPC's market life they were selling off games in packs of 4 and 6, you can still find these on Amazon to get a collection started on the cheap

NGPC games overall are still pretty cheap with a few big exceptions like Gals Fighter, a flash cart is also an option and might be worth it if those few expensive games interest you

GF is an incredible game for a portable fighter and all the fighters on NGPC are pretty good (though I'd argue Last Blade is the exception), get Faselei or Card Fighters for strategy and Dark Arms or Metal Slug for shootin'
>>
>>2811160
Best games?
>KOF R-2 (fighting) -- actually, almost all of the fighters on the system are great
>Biomotor Unitron (RPG, vaguely like Pokemon but with more dungeon crawler and customization aspects)
>Sonic Pocket Adventure (platformer)
>Metal Slug 2nd Mission (run-and-gun)

can't think of much else though, the machine's library is small as shit (it lasted barely 2 years and was completely eclipsed by the GBC and upcoming GBA)

haven't played Card Fighters, so I can't say (been meaning to though)
>>
Unlike most consoles the NGPC has a really high ratio good:shit games. You can buy pretty much any random game on ebay and as long as it isn't some mahjong game odds are you'll enjoy it.
>>
File: strip02.jpg (14 KB, 334x316) Image search: [Google]
strip02.jpg
14 KB, 334x316
>>2812226
but.. I like mahjong...
>>
Aww snap, I gotta bust out my NGPC again. I haven't seen anyone mention that golf game yet, Turf Masters I think. As for as handheld golfing games go it's pretty damn good.
>>
>>2811160
>Neo Geo/AES/

If you're just getting in to AES, you'll want to get an s-video mod and an MVS converter. The AES has poor composite quality and needs that s-video upgrade badly. And unless you're a super dedicated collector who genuinely wants the AES version games, you're better off collecting MVS (arcade) titles and using a converter. The AES software is already on the MVS cart, and the MVS games are way, WAY cheaper than their AES counterparts.

Depends where on the scale of "I just want to own a playable physical copy" vs "it needs to be as minty fresh and complete as possible" you land.
>>
>>2812517
not him, but there's also the 1xx-in-1 multicarts (though I've heard that some of the games have issues, not enough to not be playable, but issues exist)
>>
>>2812226
Neo geo pocket might of had 10 games so it's not saying much. Might of regretted more than atari lynx
>>
>>2812543
I've heard crazy claims that they can actually damage systems too. I land closer to the "I just want a physical copy I can play" end of the collector spectrum, but I try to stay as official as possible. The multi-carts are VERY unofficial, so I never looked further into it since I have no current plans to buy one.

I have a Metal Slug 4 MVS cart that I know for sure is a bootleg and it KILLS me. Thankfully I got it from a pawn shop where the guy didn't really know what he had, so the decent price I got it for was worth the risk. Still totally playable, but I wish it was the real deal.
>>
>>2811228
This, it's easily the best system to own just to see how SNK made some really awesome portable fighters. Outside of fightan' though, there's a few games worth absolutely checking out. >>2811375 posted most of them but I'd put in the sonic game too.

I still regret my brother getting his hands on the thing. That little fucker has destroyed just about everything worth owning.
>>
>>2812565
I seriously doubt they can damage systems, unless they warp the cart slot or something (unlikely but it could happen if the cart's boards are too thick)
>>
It's a great portable console, it's also pretty comfy to hold and has one of the best analog sticks.
>>
>>2812565
4? That's your problem right there.
>>
>>2813097
>analog

Hear that clicking when you move the stick? Those are micro switches. Shit's digital, bruh.

It is REALLY nice tho. Feels good.
>>
Yeah man, the NGPC is a pretty kickass handheld. It's also fascinating since technologically it's like the missing link between Gameboy Color and GBA. The one thing I think it could have done with is two more buttons. In games like metal slug, you have to use the options button to throw grenades and in fightan games you have to push the button quickly for fast attacks and hold it for strong ones. Not bad but takes some getting used to. Just be aware that the really interesting games like bio-motor unitron and Faseli are expensive as all hell. For those titles you'd be better off using the one flash card that's made for the system. Downside is that the card can only hold one big game or two small ones, no way to use a microsd and have every single game in one place.
>>
>>2813106
Not sure if you're saying MS4 is notorious for bootleg carts, or that it's just a bad game.

I know it's nowhere near as good as MS3 or X, but I've already got 2, 3, and X, and the pawn shop guy was offering me a package deal if I picked up more than 1 MVS cart. I wanted Breakers, and MS4 was the only other one he had that I was interested in... besides that SVC Chaos that was DEFINITELY a bootleg, and way too expensive considering that.
>>
>>2811160
yes

get snk vs capcom: cardfighters clash. one of the best games in general in my opinion if you're a retro gamer.
>>
File: 1groupshot2-672x360.jpg (34 KB, 672x360) Image search: [Google]
1groupshot2-672x360.jpg
34 KB, 672x360
Tangentially related to this topic: is this thing any good now that it's been hacked or is it still a POS? I really like the idea of this thing, shame they cheaped out and used a Dingoo for the hardware and stole FinalBurnAlpha for the software. All I want is something that lets me play Neo Geo games on a TV with the appropriate controllers. The fact that it has the handheld is just icing on the cake. However I suspect it'd be much better to just buy two of the controllers and use MAME on a computer hooked up to the TV.
>>
>>2811160
>What games would you recommend for someone looking into getting a Pocket Color?

First off, go here and look into getting your system hard modded to add backlighting:

http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/

As far as games, here's the best shit:

SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
King of Fighters R-2
SNK vs. Capcom: Cardfighter's Clash
Metal Slug: 1st Mission
Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
SNK Gals' Fighters
Samurai Shodown! 2
The Last Blade
Fatal Fury: First Contact
Neo Turf Masters
Magical Drop Pocket
Puzzle Bobble Mini
Cotton Fantastic Night Dreams
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket
Faselei
Dark Arms
>>
>>2813989
Neo Geo X is not an SNK system and the controllers are fucking shit.
>>
>>2814182
And it looks like they're practically as expensive as the real thing. Guess I'll just get an emulator on my pc and find a pair of usb fightsticks. I'll go hit up the emulation thread.
>>
>>2813989
whats stopping you from getting two neogeo sticks and converters, then running FBA on a pc ?

there is no reason to use mame over FBA this day and age, fightcade uses FBA too
>>
>>2815506
FBA has been better than MAME for so many years. It's ridiculous that people still use MAME for any of the worthwhile arcade games.
>>
>>2815506
Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do. Shit I may even build a dedicated little PC for this purpose outta some of my old parts. What kind of specs should I aim for to run the games 100%? (Meaning no slowdown in Metal slug and stuff like that).
>>
>>2815517
Mame is the more accurate emulator in many ways. Fba is literally a less accurate port of mame so it can run on slower systems.
>>
fba doesn't support any namco, konami, taito, data east stuff
>>
>>2815671
I used to play on GGPO with a Pentium 3 and the only game it couldn't keep full speed on was 3rd Strike, you can dumpster dive for a NeoGeo emulation machine
>>
>>2815773
>you can dumpster dive for a NeoGeo emulation machine

I had a Pentium III that could emulate Neo Geo well, but it took LITERALLY ("literally" used correctly in this case) 5 minutes to load up the bigger ROMs like Garou or Metal Slug 3 that weighed in around 80mb. Though as I recall, that machine didn't have much ram.
>>
>>2815773
>dumpster dive

really? most modern smartphones can run twenty-two neo geo emulators at full speed
>>
I know card fighters is frequently recommended for the NGPC, but I personally didn't think anything of it. The game seemed like a real letdown with how well its spoken of, I guess whoever pumped it up was really into simplistic card games featuring fighting game characters?
>>
>>2818778
Yeah it was like a simple version of Magic the Gathering but without very much balancing. There are some strategies that are totally OP and can carry you through the whole game once you discover them. Honestly I like the Pokemon TGC for GameBoy for my retro card game fix.
>>
File: n2.jpg (25 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
n2.jpg
25 KB, 323x500
NGPC is a fun little system. I bought mine in the early 2000's when they were selling them in these blister packs at EB.
>>
>>2819618
that's the time i got mine, cause I saw those at EB but I found the sonic bundle at a walmart and copped that instead. Same color but I wish I copped more games from the blister packs :(
i cared too much about boxes then
>>
>>2819618
My one of those had a pocket reversi cart in it.
Apparently it's quite rare to see an English cart in the wild. (Almost impossible in the case)
Game's not actually bad. It's quite solid and challenging for Othello. No special twists though.
I had an original light blue NGPC with box but my brother broke the screen in a literal autistic rage finding one those these going cheap in Milton Keynes once was like a gift from heaven.
I still love playing King of Fighters R2 and Samurai Showdown! 2.
>>
Slightly off topic: what are the Pandora's Box jamma boards?

Are they a new knockoff implementation of the mvs with built-in flash? A specialty/1-chip emulator? A cheap modern ARM SOC running Linux & MAME?
>>
>>2813989
>>2814182

>The controllers are shit

Man, I'm glad I dodged a bullet there. I saw a gold version being sold somewhere for around roughly $160 and I still don't think it's worth it.

>>2816771

I remember having a P2/16 MB RAM/Win98 SE and KOF 98/Metal Slug X/Blazing star on Neorage X took around 5-10 minutes to load. Garou and the newer KOF games just flat out crashed the poor thing.
>>
File: IMG_5475.jpg (792 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5475.jpg
792 KB, 1280x853
I've had mine since it was released in the US. It works great, with the exception of the power and option buttons.

They take a bit of force to work, and the option it too small to cram my finger in to.

Any ideas?
>>
>>2819468
Same here, I don't get what people see in Card Fighters. I've spent a good 15 years reading nothing but good things, but I can't see it as being anything but a poor man's yugioh, which itself has plenty of retro and non-retro video games of good quality.
>>
Always wanted Pocket Color, are the prices on the rise? Also why the hell is Gal Fighters so expensive
>>
>>2811160
Faselei! (le Gundam clone Strategy RPG)
Biomotor Unitron (RPG-ish mecha arena thingy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKhh-KC6Xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9rELc2eHo
>>
File: nigs gotta nig.jpg (43 KB, 639x420) Image search: [Google]
nigs gotta nig.jpg
43 KB, 639x420
>>2816771
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III

Pentium III could handle a max of 512MB? Why you no upgrayed?
>>
>>2816910
Why would you player arcade fightans on a tiny touchscreen? And x86 > any ARM.
>>>/v/
>>
>>2823641
Had mine from the start too, same anthracite shell. But I whacked the shit out of mine for being uncooperative, so now it tends to randomly reset.

Option always seemed tricky to operate, but usually if I just pressed firmly with my finger, it was enough to operate it.
>>
Just curious, how difficult would it be to get a dev kit for the NGPC? I know there's been developers who've made games for long-dead systems, with perhaps the biggest example being Pier Solar for the Genesis, so the idea isn't terribly far-fetched.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.