[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of curiosity why do people really like KOF 98? I know it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: geese-aof2-stance-animated.gif (10 KB, 109x147) Image search: [Google]
geese-aof2-stance-animated.gif
10 KB, 109x147
Out of curiosity why do people really like KOF 98? I know it's heralded by a lot of people as SNK's best fighter but why is it?
>>
More balanced, more characters. Same as 2002.
>>
>>2826594
Mostly it's large roster. It was a "dream match" year which meant it didn't follow the storylines of the earlier games and was more of a catch all of most of the characters all thrown together. There are a lot of characters and many of them have alternate control schemes with other moves which are versions from earlier games.

Also many characters were really powerful that year and in '99 a lot of them got nerfed.
>>
>>2826598
More balanced than what? OG 98 isn't very well balanced, 98UM is Krauser n' friends. I don't think it was until 98UMFE that we got a fairly balanced game? I might be wrong.

I personally think that FE is one of the best fighters ever made (my favourite ever being VF2, or Final Showdown).

In all the 98 games
The roster was great and huge
Beautiful looking backgrounds and character design
Fast and tight gameplay
Extra mode and Advanced mode worked well (in UM onwards at least), and hasn't been done since
Music is phenomenal, one of the best ost for a fighter ever IMO
Lots of great little details, like teammates in the background reacting to the fight, personalised intros and lots of victory poses.

I absolutely adore the games.
>>
>>2826594
I like XI the most but 98 UM is a second favorite.

I can't live without XI's tag system, roster and graphics
98 is mostly good because of the balance.

If you just want to play KOF for fun, I'd recommend XI
>>
>>2826779
I haven't played XI, but I think what's great about kof is how different each game plays. 98 is unique to 2k2 is unique to XI is unique to XIII.
Those are the big ones I can think of, and they nicely reflect the different eras. Not sure which is best for strikers system, but they dropped that by 2k2.
>>
>>2826598
But vanilla 2k2 sucked and tried to hard to be 98 but then came 2k2 UM which is really good.
How is 98 um? I might burn it for my ps2 if it seems worthwhile.
Best striker game is 2k since 99 is ok and 2k1 sucked.
XI hae the best fanservice tho (technically vr since atomiswave is basically a NAOMI in another name, fuck sammy) and ps2 port added more people.
Competitively its all about 98, 2K2 UM and XIII.
So many KOF threads lately i thought /vr/ though it was just Mexican SF.
>>
>>2826594
Large roster, best mechanics for a while (99-2001 has shit like strikers, 99 fucks up rolling, 2000 has its weird full meter modes, 2001 has the weird-ass ratio system and really stupid wallbounce shit, and it's considered to have terrible balance).

It's better than 97 (mostly with move properties and the larger cast), much better than 96 (which is a rushed, buggy game -- I'm fond of it because it was my first KOF, but it's got dumb shit, no one playtested Leona and she's so fucking dumb in that game), and is much improved from 94/95 (96 and onward has all the mechanics that defined KOF from then on out, like rolling, hopping, etc; 94/95 have an awful lot of short, crazy high damage combos, etc).
2002's well regarded for similar reasons, no superfluous mechanics, large cast (it's got a bunch dumb shit though, but that's why the UMs exist), etc.

>>2826765
OG 98 is pretty much Iori vs the world. IIRC, Chizuru is up there too, fuck that bitch.
I remember reading that Lucky got completely retarded good in FE, and he's at least noticeably better than he ever was from just casual playing, I usually play 02UM seriously.

most KOFs are balanced enough that you can have pretty low tier characters on your team and have a good, honest shot at winning though

>>2826813
2000's probably the best of the striker-era games, and I still play it from time to time with friends. It's actually pretty decent.

>>2826847
>So many KOF threads lately
from what I've seen, /vr/ likes KOF
but KOF14 is also coming out (looks a bit ugly, but I'm hopeful for it), so people are thinking about the series more
>>
Fighting games, shitty genre for underachieving autists who desperately need to feel the youth they've wasted practicing videogames was anything other than misspent.
>>
>>2826765
>Extra mode and Advanced mode worked well
This is bullshit, extra is nothing more than a bonus.
>>
>>2826852
Just stick to SaGa if you're too shitty to play real games.
>>
>>2826862
>SaGa
What? I just came here to make fun of minorities.
>>
Here's the thing, I might git gud and learn how to play these shit games properly. You on the other hand will stop being niggers.
>>
>>2826862
whoa bro, no need to drag Mr. Kawazu's Wild Ride into this.
>>
>>2826868
I love that the mere existence and popularity of this genre gets your panties in this much of a twist.

Also you will literally never be even close to competitive.
>>
>>2826852
You can play fighting games non-competitively you know
>>
>>2826862
As both a SaGa and KoF player, shut the fuck up, don't bring other game communities into this only because you're salty.
>>2826871
>Kawazu makes a fighting game
>Nobody can even figure how what the fuck is going on
>Combo system based on attack properties
>Tag battle controlling 5 characters at once on each side in real time
>Dice Rolls
>Dungeon mode

I can see it.
>>
>>2826873
I love that no matter how much you git gud you'll never find an azn girlfriend, nigger weeb.
>>
>>2826594
balance between the top tiers
>>
>>2826856
Not true, watch high level play and quite a few take advantage of Extra mode. Unless you mean OG98? OG 98 its really bad, but UM onwards its much, much better with 30% walk speed increase and ability to store Meyer and QuickMax.
Arguably better than advanced mode!
>>
Seems like a good thread to ask, anyone play 98um and 2k2um on steam? Any ausbros down for a game sometime let me know, I'm always looking for new players!
>>
>>2826957
yeah, OG98 there's pretty much no reason to use Extra, other than really specific teams that aren't amazing anyway

in 98UM, Extra definitely has its uses
>>
>>2827193
you're better off going to /fgg/ to ask for games
>>
98 is pretty much the last Neo Geo fighter other than Sam Sho V Special that doesn't do super cancel/custom combo/mode combo/dream cancel/counter mode etc etc bullshit combos that take a million years to finish. It's just pick up, learn 4 combos for your character, and you're set.
>>
>>2828116
In /VG/? Thanks for the advice, I rarely visit there, I'll check it out
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.