[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: things we learned much later about games we thought we knew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 43
File: hyruleloach.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
hyruleloach.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
ITT: things we learned much later about games we thought we knew everything about
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
This secret scene in Horizon in Final Fantasy VIII.

Well, there are a lot of hidden story and gameplay stuff in FF8, but that one I only discovered on my 10th of so playthrough.

There is also a couple of hidden pistol ammo I found out much later on in Resident Evil 2, like for the instance the one hidden behind the middle statue in the room where you have to push 2 statues around to get one of the red gem.

Also few people know but the PC version of Resident Evil 1 has an extra hidden pistol clip. It's located at the back of the Tyrant fight room in the lab, you can't physically see it either but it's there if you press the action button near the shadowed angle (same place where the 2nd Tyrant is in the Saturn version). Probably a hint by the devs on how the Tyrant in the lab can actually be killed with less than 15 Beretta bulelts yep, you saved all that magnum ammo for nothing all these times
>>
>3DS version
>>
Tails' secret areas, mainly in Sonic and Knuckles. There's an entire upper level in Sandopolis 1 that I found out 2 years ago. Too bad that, angel Island, and marble garden are the oonly levels with tails only routes
>>
>>2797441
>angel Island,
You don't know about the speed shoes + spring trick?
>>
>>2797426
On the subject of Resident Evil.

Weapons don't have a damage stat. What the game does is cross-reference the weapon being used with the enemy being hit. Each enemy has a damage value for each weapon. For instance, the magnum will do 900 damage to a zombie (killing it ten times over), but only do 200 to a licker (enough to kill it) or 80 to a super licker (Two shot kill, three on hard).
>>
File: Noob.png (89 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
Noob.png
89 KB, 292x257
>>2797494
In act 2, there's a vertical part with spikes on each side. Only Tails and Hyper Sonic can cross it. I believe a similar spot exists in Marble Garden.
>>
this ff9 quest that was only discovered a few years ago

http://www.geek.com/games/after-13-years-a-new-final-fantasy-9-side-quest-has-been-discovered-1556624/
>>
not sure if it fits this thread, but I've discovered lots of details in gimmick! and out of this world.
>>
>>2797546
Wasn't that in the Ultimania book?
>>
>>2797583
yeah that's how the west found it out
>>
>>2797514
that's cool

>>2797530
does it lead anywhere?

>>2797579
go for it
>>
>>2797602
That doesn't count as "discovered a few years ago".
>>
>>2797717

in out of this world, there's this darkened corridor where you run past enemy lasers. your lasers light it up too, and if you make a shield (which there's no reason to do) it creates a dim light.
your gun has a finite amount of ammo even though the game doesn't show you. it starts off with 199 units, once you get the recharge it maxes at 1950. 1 laser = 1 unit, shield = 10, power shot = 100.
alien guards will punch you to death if you get too close.

in gimmick!, the palm trees in level 4 will drop bombs if you land on top of them. the mecha spider boss in level 5 will start spamming missiles if you go behind it. in the final stage, if you kill a sparrow with a star, the cloud people rage and chase you, and won't stop until they hit you.

both of those games are labors of love, and it shows in all the details.
>>
>>2797546
>discovered a few years ago
>in a book published 13 years ago
>>
File: mew glitch.png (36 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
mew glitch.png
36 KB, 320x288
>>2797412
>>
One of the platforms in Sonic 2's Aquatic Ruin Zone turns into a raft if you stay on it.
You can cross breed Nightopians and Nightmaren in Nights into Dreams.
I never thought of double-wielding shields in Phantasy Star games until someone on /vr/ said they do it, and I played 2 and 4 over and over and a kid.
>>
>>2797731
I think the Ultimania book wasn't translated in english until recently, not sure. Someone correct me.
>>
File: 2627.gif (97 KB, 758x1083) Image search: [Google]
2627.gif
97 KB, 758x1083
It has a secret entrance
>>
>>2797412

A few days ago I found out that it's possible to beat Dodongo's Cavern without a slingshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcPSgv68INw
>>
>>2797771
It's never been translated in English period. I don't believe any Ultimania has. Not in full, anyway.
>>
>>2797426
Hidden scene? Do tell
>>
File: blaarg.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
blaarg.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>
>>2798064
Seriously? Holy shit.
>>
Aliens in Silent Hill 1 (if you can call that retro). I just did the four endings and called it a day.
>>
>>2797785
Where's the secret entrance? All the maps on there I recognize (played the fuck out of this game as a kid)
>>
>>2798406
above that entrance on the first screen. It's invisible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXerz1_KJY#t=37m17s
>>
>>2798414
Wow, thanks for sharing this
>>
>>2798394

why couldn't you call SH retro? It's the same generation as the OP picture.
>>
>>2798425
I'm new here and I don't know many things.
Also, the super armors in Rockman X 4.
>>
>>2797789
They really should have changed the game so that the child dungeons could be done in multiple orders properly. Especially Jabu Jabu.
>>
>>2797412
The hylian loach was never a secret though? I got that game on launch and a friend of mine told me about it before I was even done my first playthrough
>>
>>2798481
Tons of people still don't know about it though. OoT has some of the craziest shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvx2pQy9A4
>>
>>2798505
That's not too crazy when you think about it. The only requirement is that all the torches are lit, and when they are the way opens. Using Din's fire was just easier because it did it all at once.

It's like saying the collision jumps over pits are crazy things in LttP like in this video:
https://youtu.be/Fk5zViX2Q08?t=1394
>>
>>2798064
whoa
>>
File: 1447622214990[1].jpg (23 KB, 258x253) Image search: [Google]
1447622214990[1].jpg
23 KB, 258x253
>>2797426
>clip
>>
ITT: people talk about "secrets" that have been on hint sites FOR YEARS as if they're new

I swear, these fucking underages are a god damn blight on this board. Instead of meaningful discussion, they just regurgitate the latest shit they saw a clueless youtuber post, without even fact checking or looking into it themselves. You shitfaces are the reason that some of these idiots' garner "reputations" of being knowledgeable or innovative: people just hand them credit and trade ignorance like it's some kind of currency.
>>
File: JESSIE_02.png (30 KB, 208x240) Image search: [Google]
JESSIE_02.png
30 KB, 208x240
>>2797412
Just found out about this today in FF7
>Jessie has a high poly detailed model used in the train scene except you only get to see the back of her head.
Forget Aeris. How do I revive Jessie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVv06Ekygs
>>
>>2798886

still better than console war shitposting or CRT vs emulation
>>
>>2798886

Grandpa are you off your meds again
>>
>>2798886
this is the least useful reply you could make.
>>
>>2798414

Kirby's adventure has a ton of hidden entrances like this.
>>
>>2797426

Is that original/directer's cut RE 1 only?

I just tested it on REmake and it took 18 handguns shots to kill tyrant 1
>>
File: Saturn-Maria-Drop-Kick.png (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Saturn-Maria-Drop-Kick.png
15 KB, 320x240
I never knew the Saturn version's Maria was different from the PSP version's. Also lots of little details like the sword familiar's subtle changes as it levels. And how you can kill the flea men riding those skull dragons sometimes and the skulls will change sides and help you out. This game has too much cool shit in it I'll never see it all.
>>
>>2798886
Not really, I mostly commented stuff I heard way after I completed the game, either on or offline.
>>
>>2799016
yeah I was talking about the original, and the number may vary a little depending on the version and difficulty; but it's also pretty low in any case.

Even 18 is low imo, for a endboss it is.

>>2799059
Yeah SOTN is awesome. Like FF8 it's impossible to find all the cool shit on your first playthrough, maybe even after 2 plays.
>>
>>2798414
I didn't find out about that until recently either.

Same with the secret UFO enemy in the first world (I forget the exact stage... was it stage 1?).
>>
>>2797426
>This secret scene in Horizon in Final Fantasy VIII.
wait, what scene is that?

I played FF VIII a fuckload of times and there's still things I don't know, jesus fuck.
>>
>>2799153
The ladder in that screenshot i posted can be used

After you defeat the Iron Clad, it will slide away into the water, then
Selphie and her team will climb up... They escaped from the Missile Base
by climbing inside the Iron Clad. Now everyone will leave except Squall
and Rinoa. Talk to Rinoa for a short scene, then head back towards
Garden. On the way back, stop by the docks (East of the screen where the
Inn/Item Shop is) to meet up with the Master Fisherman's pupil and talk
with him a while for some funny scenes. =P If you've beaten the Iron
Clad, the kid will make one last attempt and actually get his line in
the water. Note: The man nearby runs a Junk Shop, and there's a Draw
Point near him with Shell. Then resume your trip back to Garden. You'll
meet Irvine on the way back; he'll talk to you for a bit, then he'll
join your current party. Now go and see the Master Fisherman again; the
ladder leading to him is just past where you met Irvine. You'll tell him
about his pupil's success, then start to leave. He'll stop you and ask
you to meet him at the Inn. Head there and he'll tell you about Mayor
Dobe. Then he'll ask if you want to talk some more; say yes and head
outside. Follow him to the docks, then talk to the shopkeeper. After a
rather long dialogue, talk to the Master Fisherman for a Megalixir.
He'll then leave, but you haven't seen the last of him...

Now, go back to the station. There's a house nearby; go inside to find a
Galbadian Officer yelling at a mechanic. Head towards them. The officer
is trying to get the Grease Monkey to fix the Iron Clad. Squall tells
the officer to step outside. (Note: There's an issue of Timber Maniacs
nearby.) (cont)
>>
>>2799160
After that, go outside and come back. Talk to the Grease Monkey
and he'll tell you that the officer escaped through the window. =P The
Grease Monkey will give you a Mega Phoenix as a reward. Now, go back to
where the Master Fisherman was to find a Full-life Draw Point. It
doesn't recharge, unfortunately. Finally, head back to Garden.

[and the FAQ says you can meet him again in Shumi Village, that I didn't know!]
After a short scene, the Moomba Doll will relay a message to Artisan;
leave his house and you'll find the Master Fisherman if you met him
earlier. Whether or not the Master Fisherman is there, Artisan will walk
out of his house and agree to help out. Now that Artisan's working on
the statue, talk to Elder and he'll reward your efforts with a Status
Guard. (teaches a GF ST Def-J*4)

You can return after you have the Ragnarok to see the completed statue.
If you met the Master Fisherman before, he'll play the song you
performed in FH after you've seen the statue. Also, as you leave, you'll
see a scene with the Elder and Attendant.
>>
File: shi3mg0f.jpg (187 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
shi3mg0f.jpg
187 KB, 640x905
>you can block
>>
File: vincentprice973.gif (989 KB, 300x218) Image search: [Google]
vincentprice973.gif
989 KB, 300x218
>>2798886
>reads hint sites for every game
>calls people who just play a game and find secrets out later "a god damn blight on this board"
>>
>>2799441
>reads critical post
>decides to interpret it wrong and respond based on that
>>
File: mfw.png (468 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
468 KB, 1280x800
>>2799160
>>2799161
>mfw
and now I'm playing FFVIII again, thanks.
>>
For the longest time I didn't know about the back alley in Hyrule Castle Town in OoT. It still kinda feels out of place to me.
>>
File: castlevania-alucard.jpg (649 KB, 1280x992) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-alucard.jpg
649 KB, 1280x992
Alucard is Dracula spelled backward.
>>
>>2799743
I only learnt about this a few years ago and it blew my mind there were still things I didn't know about this game. Pretty sure it's common 'unknown' knowledge by this point though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6XMKtjtvaM
>>
File: CVAljiba.gif (55 KB, 598x224) Image search: [Google]
CVAljiba.gif
55 KB, 598x224
The first stage of Rondo of Blood is the same town from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

If you go to the sign post near the beginning and press up, you can read the town's name, Aljiba.
>>
>>2799743
Oh yeah, I found the alley when I played it, but I have seen a lot of people saying they never knew about it.

Also, the "Forest Stage" in the Lost Woods where you put on a mask for the deku scrubs. I didn't know about it until I replayed the game at some point.
>>
you need to visit the alley to get 2 of the heart pieces, from the chest game and the lost puppie quest so yeah it's well known
>>
>>2799765
I figured that out as soon as I readggv cm bgfbnbvs
>>
>>2798431
Basically, Dreamcast and anything before it is retro, as are PC games released in 1999 or earlier.

It's retarded. This board was awesome at first but we've discussed almost everything to the fucking death.
>>
Spin jump cape trick in SMW (lets you ascend vertically).
The 'warps' in the first two DKC games.
>>
>>2799838

not only that but people discuss retro games on /v/ and /vg/ anyway.
>>
>>2799847
>Spin jump cape trick in SMW (lets you ascend vertically).

Oh bullshit, everyone should have done that accidentally on their first day playing, that isn't anything like what OP is referencing.
>>
It took me about 12 years after first playing through Final Fantasy IV to notice that many weapons (namely rods) could be used as attack items.
>>
>>2799847
The third dkc had a couple warps too, I remember the first mill, coral, tree and river levels had it.
>>
>>2798886
God damn, "as if they're new?" The whole point of this thread is things that you, as an individual, didn't find out about a game until much later. Just because I played an NES game back in '94 or whatever doesn't mean I discovered everything back then or looked up every secret online. Sometimes, years later, you see something about a game and think "Fuck, I missed that?" Having that happen to you doesn't mean you are new to the game nor does it mean you are trying to claim that it is a new discovery.
>>
>>2799879
This. Especially since you wouldn't come across of a lot of things while looking at a guide. Like you don't get any key items for catching the hylian loach, and the alternate mini-boss rush in Kirby is just an alternate path through the level.
>>
>>2799820
The guard isn't there until you have all 3 spiritual stones, and I think he's gone for good after you first pick up the master sword, so it's easy to miss him.
>>
>>2799820
Oh, that guy was talking about the alley itself. I thought he meant the dying guard.
>>
>>2799743
>It still kinda feels out of place to me.
That's what I love about it though. OoT has all these places that feel utterly different from each other.
>>
I learned about Zack's death in FF7 much later. I love that it isn't ridiculously over the top or animufied like it is in Crisis Core, I miss the days when Squaresoft knew that less is more.
>>
>>2799365

I'm sure there's a 3rd gen game that has some obvious mechanic like this I never realized as a babychild I just can't think of anything at the moment
>>
>>2799693
Jesus, spoiler that shit Anon. Not even kidding.
>>
>>2799858
Too funny, I hardly cast any offensive spells because of rods in my first playthrough when it was new.
>>
>>2799858
Where is that image from? It seems familiar.
>>
I never knew about Bleu in Breath of Fire II until, I think, my sixth or seventh playthrough. Such a cryptic way to obtain her, anyhow.
>>
>>2799838

>It's retarded. This board was awesome at first but we've discussed almost everything to the fucking death.

I hear 'ya. Really wish they'd let some fresh blood in. But then what do you do with the XBOX faggots?
>>
>>2800982

>I love that it isn't ridiculously over the top or animufied like it is in Crisis Core, I miss the days when Squaresoft knew that less is more.

I miss the days when Squaresoft remembered they had other IPs besides Final Fantasy.
>>
>>2798886
back then internet wasn't a big thing yet and there weren't many hint sites
you're the underage newfag here
>>
Also, Tiny Toons Adventure on NES.

I used to play this game tons as a kid, and I always thought Buster had no special ability of his own, unlike every other character, I thought he was the "nothing special" character that you get in between the "special" characters.

Turns out he HAS his own ability and it's the best friggin' one : the slide-jump allowing for insanely high and long jumps.
>>
>>2803067
Were you not reading any game news last week or something?
>>
First gen Pokemon game had free Pokeballs, it just require you to beat your rival while having only one Pokemon in your dex (meaning you can't even evolve your starter) which of course many people aren't likely to do. The text when you obtain the Pokemon is slightly glitched as well.

You can switch your moves around on the 1st gen games by pressing select during battle. Took me watching a random speed run to learn that.
>>
>>2797514

That's interesting. It seems like a really convoluted way to handle damage, though.
>>
>>2803761
Yeah... When I started experimenting in Gamemaker I handled damage that way until I realized it was retarded and learned about parent properties and had each weapon do a set amount of damage.
>>
>>2799847
Warping was the best in DKC1. I always skipped the Stop and Go level because it was spooky
>>
>>2803281
What? What happens after you beat your rival with only your starter? Pokeballs become free? A bunch of pokeballs appear in your inventory? Is there any different text?

Also, I forget if it's all of Gen 1, but apparently Oak was going to be a trainer you could fight with 6 really high level Pokemon, similar to Red in Gen 2. I think you need a gameshark to fight him, now.
>>
>>2803775
>Also, I forget if it's all of Gen 1, but apparently Oak was going to be a trainer you could fight with 6 really high level Pokemon, similar to Red in Gen 2. I think you need a gameshark to fight him, now.

And he would use the starter that neither you or your rival chose.
>>
>>2803775
Oh apparently it's in Yellow and you can fight him without gameshark via a glitch.

>>2803781
That's awesome.
>>
In Breath of Fire II, you can get the Holy shaman way earlier when you do the dungeon under the Bando church. When you get to the tunnel with the door you can move with arrow plates, move the door over as far as it goes and then stand on the right arrow and wait. After like 5-10 minutes or so, it'll move the door over more to secret rooms including one with the shaman in it.

This is only doable until you beat the boss of the dungeon, as the arrow plates are rendered inert after doing so.
>>
>>2803781
>And he would use the starter that neither you or your rival chose.
That doesn't make sense. I thought the reason he sends kids out to scan pokemon was because he's too old and busy. Where'd he get the time to raise the reject?
>>
>>2803775
You get a free mewthree
>>
>>2802842
endtown, m8
>>
>>2798394
While on the topic of Silent Hill, apparently if you go to the final boss with no ammo for any of your weapons, then equip each weapon and fire unloaded, it'll end the fight.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 650x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 650x429
>>2804467

How did people figure things out like this? Still baffles me.

The Chris Houlihan room in Link to the Past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXp124VgFrw
>>
>>2797789
That is insssssaaaane.

Thanks for sharing anon.
>>
>>2804556
no it's lame and gay. it's a programming oversight.

>>2797426
this is actual, intentional, and interesting content.
>>
>>2804567
ok
>>
>>2798472
Try designing a dungeon that can be solved multiple ways and the player can't get locked out of finishing. Go ahead. I'll wait.
>>
>>2799858
>many weapons (namely rods) could be used as attack items.
Wait, what?
Do they do more damage than if you command a character equipped with a Rod to attack?
>>
>>2804613
Rods will generally cast some pretty good spells, and seeing how most rods had a low attack. Yes, 'using' the rod is much more effective than attacking with it.
>>
>>2799858
similarly you can equip and attack with weapons in earthbound by using them in your inventory
convenient for when you forget to equip something
not sure if the same goes for armor
>>
>>2804601
Jabu Jabu doesn't require bombs if I remember correctly. Just take away those boulders at the start of the river area.
>>
>>2800564
I don't mean that it's out of place in a bad way, it just seems like it wouldn't be there based on the city mostly just being a circle around a well.
>>
>>2804624
Thanks for the tip.

It always bugs me when JRPGs make MP management a pain in the ass, because it invariably results in you lugging around mages who are worthless 90% of the time; until you get to a boss and blow through all their MP in a single battle. I was about to replay FFIV so that's really good to know- maybe lugging around Palom and Porom wont be such a pain in the ass now.
>>
>>2798309
yeah you can. it blew my friggen mind
>>
File: h32.jpg (52 KB, 919x614) Image search: [Google]
h32.jpg
52 KB, 919x614
>>2800564
One of the things I love about OoT is how despite the fact that the world isn't really that huge, it feels large due to the amount of character and detail the different locations have. This is something that seemed to be missing in a lot of the later games.
>>
>>2798064
Is there a concise explanation that doesn't require me to actually design a dungeon?
>>
>>2804665
I like how the canyon area connects to the lake area by jumping off the land bridge

and looking down at the lights of the village from death mountain at night
>>
>>2804723

what?
>>
>>2804723
meant as reply to
>>2804601

>>2804730
sorry for the confusion
>>
File: IMG_20151001_004317.jpg (1021 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151001_004317.jpg
1021 KB, 2592x1944
I didn't know that the Sacred Forest Meadow really changed if you entered it at dusk. I discovered this purely on accident. I've heard it every so often over the past few years but I thought it was just a myth.

I didn't know that Baito (whose name come from MM, where he tells you he works part-time, which is "Baito"in Japanese), the guy on the rooftop of Kakariko Village has different dialogue if you stand precariously in front of him. It must be the least witnessed dialogue box in all of Ocarina of Time.

I didn't know that you could enter the Shadow Temple with the Bow and Arrows and Fire Arrows alone.
>>
>>2804512
And this is why SH1 sucks compared to RE1 gameplay-wise.

In RE1 there is always a way to go past a bossfight without using guns.
The first snake bossfight, you can just pick up the key item at the end of the room and leave.
Plant-42 : with Chris you can the first half of the fight to be skipped by solving a puzzle with Rebecca. With Jill, you can get the whole fight to get skipped with the puzzle and Barry.
The big spider in the caves : you don't have to kill it. You can just knife the webs blocking the exit doors and leave; and even better (and this is how this posts is on topic...) few people know but you can get the spider to destroy its own webs and it's safer that way too. Just stand in front of the webs, the spider will shoot acid. Do a few steps to avoid the spit just before it's thrown then come back in front of the webs. Repeat until all webs are gone. I'm amazed the programmers took the time to do something like this.
Last Tyrant fight: you can just wait for the Rocket Launcher to appear (although shooting Tyrant with strong weapons will make the wait shorter)

So the only 2 fights you have to use weapons are the 2nd snake encounters and the 1st Tyrant fight. Even then, like I said the Beretta is surpringsly effective against Tyrant. As for the snake, if needed you can spam with the knife, tank and heal, and he'll be dead with only about 2-4 healing items. In case you need to kill the 2nd half of the Plant-42 yourself, the knife is also effective.

RE3 also has this kind of stuff with bossfights, for most of them either you can just leave, or there is a way to kill it without much if any ammo used.

RE2 (and SH1) didn't have this and this is why it's not as good of a survival horror and why there is a lot more ammo lying everywhere, because you HAVE to use it against bosses.
>>
>>2804665
This is one of those things that OoT is the absolute epitome of. Especially the desert, which really does feel "out of place" compared to the rest of the world, and in a truly awesome way. >>2804728 It's details like this that really make it.
>>
>>2797760
It's the first time westerners had seen it. But it's importance is that it raised the question of how much stuff really was lost in various games because of translation issues or lack of thorough examination in strategy guides.

The Official Link to the Past strategy guide is missing quite a few secrets that everyone knows about, now. But for several years, no one knew about most of them.
>>
>>2798064
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
That you can get the red submarine in FF7.
Also, you can dognap a dog.
>>
>>2805086
>That you can get the red submarine in
Huh? I know you can choose to capture the guys instead of killing them, but what sub options are there?
>>
>>2805102
if you lose in the first sub minigame while trying to get the huge materia, you lose the purple sub, and have to go back to junon and kidnap a crew and their dog to get a red sub
>>
File: Red_Submarine_Docked.jpg (36 KB, 592x432) Image search: [Google]
Red_Submarine_Docked.jpg
36 KB, 592x432
>>2805106
You have to be seriously shit to lose the first sub minigame, so that is why most people don't know about it.

Also, you end up losing that huge materia for good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBPh15Jn7c
>>
>>2799365
Bought and owned Shinobi 3 since a kid. One of my top 3 genesis games evar. Didn't find out about that "secret" until about 2 years ago. Makes it so much better control wise to block and use the sword at will. It also made the game stupid easy which is why it probably wasn't the default control set-up now that I think about it.
>>
>>2804851
I actually knew about that second one. Though I didn't realize until just now that, yeah, that's probably easily missable and I took it for granted.

But what is this Sacred Forest Meadow thing? It's not even mentioned on the Zelda wiki. Maybe it's just my phone, but it's hard to tell what's different in the picture you posted.
>>
>>2804492
What do you think he was busy doing? But for real, the theory goes that he was intended to be the champion. He has an email telling him to go to Indigo Plateau
>>
>>2804723
Yes, let's see if you can find it.
>>
File: 1291691183428.jpg (25 KB, 175x154) Image search: [Google]
1291691183428.jpg
25 KB, 175x154
>>2797426
>never noticed
>played that game numerous times

Time to play it again.
>>
>>2804909
Pretty sure Silent Hill is meant to be more psychological horror than survival horror, which explains the immense difference of game play you described.
>>
>>2799693
Jesus that is a horrifying picture. I wonder if that theory is true.
>>
>>2805584
>Pretty sure Silent Hill is meant to be more psychological horror than survival horror

Pretty sure the "psychological horror" thing started with SH2.

Although each and every SH (excluding the 2 spin offs) play everything like a survival horror.
>>
>>2803781
Yeah he has data for teams for each of the starters left unused in memory, all at endgame-ish levels.
>>
>>2797441

He gets a different route in Launch Base as well. The elevator-tube thing shoots him off in a different direction than Sonic.
>>
>>2799852
I had no idea you could spin jump while using the cape to parachute glide or whatever it's called.
>>
>>2803067
They do, but they only sell them in places people buy them.
>>
That the presence of lack of power ups in the blocks during Hammer Bros. encounters in SMB3 is dependent on where on the map you confront them.
>>
>>2804728
I know it's not /vr/, but the Jak and Daxter series gives you this feeling because you can see most of the world from different levels.
Also Super Mario Sunshine
>>
>>2803224

Nope, I gave up on the gaming industry sometime last-gen.

>>2805698

I don't buy Squeenix's bullshit that it isn't worth their time to release shit over here. I just think they're greedy motherfuckers who believe white piggu doesn't deserve any game that won't instantly make them billions.
>>
>>2805774
I still remember the PS2 promotional videos at the time. They were really proud of how they were creating this game that would allow for a totally seamless experience without transitions and loading times, that the whole game was going to play out in one big map with everything loaded and visible.

Of course, by today's standards the PS2's limitations are a bit more obvious (though they certainly managed to push things by the time of SotC and GTA:SA), but it was certainly a liberating jump from the modestly sized areas and the numerous transitions and loading times that were the norm on the PlayStation.
>>
>>2805798
The shit doesn't sell well enough outside of japan to warrant bringing it over. Once in a while they might bring one over to test the waters but if it doesn't sell well don't expect any more for a while after that.

>I just think they're greedy motherfuckers

It's called being a business.
>>
>>2805632
Except the vast majority of the monsters and designs are based on Heathers imagination as told in the lore of the game itself.
>>
>>2805798
Well, you haven't missed very much, I promise you, but the good news is that Square-Enix, who forgot about Dragon Quest after bringing over Dragon Quest VIII and showing it tons of love on the DS, realized that they forgot to localize any Dragon Quest games since then and are getting around to it now.

There's even a Dragon Quest reskin of Dynasty Warriors coming to Steam soon, if you like mashing an attack button all day, albeit with some of the fanciest graphics the series has seen.
>>
>>2805817
And that's psychological horror?

To me psychological horror is when the mind is being fucked with in order to be horrified.
SH1 has a bit of that, sure, but so do RE1 or AITD1. As far as SH series go I feel like it became a bigger focus with SH2 onwards, after Toyama left.
>>
>>2805049
You mean like how to catch the Running Man, that you can lift up the giant rocks by Turtle Rock (or was this in it?), that you can carry a fish from the marsh and throw it at the bottle seller for items? What else could there be? For a Zelda game, ALttP is not very secret-filled.

>>2805460
If you look through the textdump I just noticed he has changing dialogue for before and after Death Mountain. Apparently you were once supposed to talk to him from the watchtower by targeting with Navi. That must be why his collision box in MM is so large.

As for the Sacred Forest Meadow. If you happen to walk into the woods or a place connected to SFM just as the rooster is crowing, you'll find the skybox has changed. That's all. I actually do vaguely recall seeing it in N64 OoT, but I didn't know they carried that into the 3Dmake.

>>2805596
Please don't use the Lord's name in vain.
>>
>>2805813

You can be a business without being a fucking prick. I'm sorry that the notion doesn't jive with your 80's "greed is good" MBA sensibilities.
>>
>>2805798
Then you translate and release games for us or yourself on the Internet. Stop getting mad cuz people ain't doing what you want you entitled baby.
>>
File: 1417975364628.jpg (149 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1417975364628.jpg
149 KB, 500x628
>>2805971

I ain't even mad.
>>
>>2805967
you pretty much have to, specially in this shitty industry
>>
The warp from Sector X to Sector Z in Star Fox 64.
>>
>>2805974
Yea cuz you're butt hurt and enjoying it.
>>
>>2805980

Nah, I don't buy that for a minute. People simply let success and the struggle for it insulate them from common decency, then try and pawn off their own shittiness on that trite old "It's just the way things are." paradigm.

Hell, most don't even have _that_ level of self-awareness: they actively glorify their character defect, because if it's brought them riches then obviously it can't be wrong.
>>
File: 1424733795149.jpg (115 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1424733795149.jpg
115 KB, 500x501
>>2805991
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2113x2885) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2113x2885
>>2797412
This secret room in Ganons castle. Filled with 4 Deku sales men and loads of fairies. I've play the original for years and thought I knew pretty much everything about the game.

The only reason I found out about this room was watching someone play the game and they ran into the wall. I still would never of known to check that wall.
>>
>>2805116
>>2805106
It's the same with Fort Condor, where if you lose the second battle they throw you out and take away their rope ladder so you can't get in any more.
>>
File: wind_waker_magic_armor.png (395 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
wind_waker_magic_armor.png
395 KB, 900x563
>>2797412
I remember when I first found the magic armor in Wind Waker I was completely blown away that I missed an entire item on my first few play throughs, I only found out after a friend showed me.

Also this is unrelated but a friend of mine said that she got the golden scale as a kid in OOT for the GC because she caught a 15 pound fish. Which I don't believe cause the only true way thats possible is through a glitch and even so a 15 pound fish doesn't exist as a kid, Right?
>>
File: 03L.jpg (284 KB, 1280x586) Image search: [Google]
03L.jpg
284 KB, 1280x586
I had no idea there was a song made for summoning hook-shotable scarecrows.
>>
>>2806461
The fact that the game's mechanics allow for 'hidden' songs is great.
>>
>>2805847
You got told so hard.
>>
>>2806021
Funny, I got there and ???'d myself for a bit, showed my brother, we laughed and moved on.
>>
>>2806452
Well, the glitch isn't hard to get, it's just catching a fish that breaks the record and giving it to him while holding Z the whole conversation. It's just not something anyone would try to do unless they hear it.
>>
you can make an oasis at the little pond by the entrance to spirit temple
>>
>>2806501
But what confuses me is the 15 pound fish, the gold scale makes sense if you use the glitch but a 15 pound fish? It doesn't exist.
>>
>>2803772
you didn't use spoilers you fucking piece of shit
>>
File: Deku2_Large.jpg (306 KB, 800x440) Image search: [Google]
Deku2_Large.jpg
306 KB, 800x440
>>2806504
This also surprised me, I found it plenty of times but never thought to wear a mask.
>>
>>2806452

it is possible to get the sinking lure and the loach as a kid and it is between 15 and 18 pounds.
>>
>>2806512
Whoops didn't mean to reply.

>>2806513
But that wouldn't go on record and she said it was in the tank.
>>
>>2806506
Yeah, maybe she did lie and there happened to be such a glitch. Another possibility is that she just saw the 15 pounder as an adult, understood she did something "wrong" as a kid, and assumed she got that one back then.
>>2806513
o-oh
dis gaem
>>
>>2806518
I spent too much time trying to figure it out. She refused to show pics.
>>
It was years before I learned you could jump out of a roll/cartwheel in DKC. There's a few items you can't get without doing it and I could never figure them out.
>>
>>2806513
But don't you only get rupees from catching the loach?
>>
>>2798057
Not the same guy, but when you assemble the band, you get full control over Irvine for a moment to walk up to the stage and tell your party member wether or not to stick with the instrument or chose another one.

However, if you just leave, you can freely roam F.H. and the Balamb Garden as Irvine with lots of small secret scenes. A lot of gigolo ones with the girls at the Garden and shit with the people in F.H.
>>
>>2807641
>However, if you just leave, you can freely roam F.H. and the Balamb Garden as Irvine with lots of small secret scenes. A lot of gigolo ones with the girls at the Garden and shit with the people in F.H.

You.. what? Didn't know that, sounds amazing.
>>
File: IMG_20151120_110643.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_110643.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Thank you mods for deleting that guy's blasphemous response to my requesting he not use the Lord's name in vain.

To the guys talking about the fish. I will confirm/deconfirm it all in a few hours. Stuff I'm discovering right now.
>You can get this guard to look the other way humorously after you've paid him (you have to talk to him once and then get caught, or get caught twice), by backing up to where you lose the TALK option but just as you hit A.
>apparently the guards in the courtyard in MQ have been altered to compensate for the flip. They can see you from up to 30 ft away if they're facing you. However I just discovered a new trick. You can roll under their line of sight and they won't see you.
>if you get all the rupees along the way in the little wooden arch with the one guard, and then get caught, it will be replaced and four rupees will be blue, then it will be all green again.

Coming up on RetroBusters: Are Bubbles attracted to bombs? Does the Spooky Mask glow in the dark? Can you still get Biggoron's Sword in MQ before beating any dungeon/minidungeon? And can you use Farore's Wind to get a better time against the Running Man by setting it in the Forest Temple, and deliver the Odd Shroom without Epona by setting it in Dodongo's Cavern?

Stay tuned.
>>
>>2807645
Discovering that actually made me change my overall style of playing games in general.

There are often these stupid scenes especially nowadays, where the devs give you control over your character just to have you walk straight ahead to the next cutscene, so by now, when this occurs, I turn around and try to find some secret because I always think there must be some other reason for giving me control over the character when the task seems so utterly simple at first.

Only found this video, but it doesn't really show off much - gives you an idea though. There's lots of neat little stuff you can do with him while in control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoQGrm9tHLs
>>
>>2807658
Forgot to add:
When you then pick Irvine's instrument for the band, you obviously gain control over another party member (if think it was Zell) to walk up to him and tell him to stick with that instrument or not.

So you should be able explore the Garden and F.H. once again with another character and slightly different scenes yet again. I think I did so once, but my memory is hazy.
>>
>>2807658
Ah! Actually I remember the soldier on the ground (at 3:03) and the entire scene before it. So I have scene this. I just didn't remember it.
>>
File: IMG_20151120_140527.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_140527.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
If this goliath is not 15 lbs, no fish in this lake is.
>>
>>2798886
Isn't this a thread about things we learned later on? Does it matter if it's obvious?
>>
File: IMG_20151120_140735.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_140735.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
I'm on my fifth try attempting, to catch this fish.
>>
>>2804723
I feel like ranting.

Basically, compare a game like Ocarina of Time to something like Zelda 1 or A Link Between Worlds. If you create a dungeon that can be completed whenever, you can't make any assumptions about when the player will approach it, so you have to design it with the thought of "What if the player starts the game and IMMEDIATELY heads there without any items or power ups?" Basically, it renders any good dungeon design theories as garbage, because you can no longer create incredible complex and fun dungeons that use a plethora of items your player might have, and have to basically neuter it to make sure that Jimmy Bob who ignored all text boxes and wandered in the "wrong" direction won't get frustrated and leave the game as a piece of garbage for being unfair to him.

This is especially an important thing in adventure games like Zelda because other than making assumptions and scaling the difficulty, the only real way to scale dungeons is to make it more complex with added mechanics you get from power ups and abilities, such as when you need to use multiple items to cross large gaps. Something you won't see in more open-ordered dungeons because you need to make sure that they can be completed in ANY order. Meaning you can't design a puzzle that requires a later item.

tl;dr basically it makes the game unfun and it's pretty stupid.
>>
Definitely no 15-lber in the Fishing Hole unless it's the loach (which, fun fact, there can actually be two of them as a kid according Zeldawiki, but I've never seen it).

Anon was right. Also the Golden Scale as a kid trick doesn't work in OoT3D.
>>
File: IMG_20151120_143445.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_143445.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>2807828
forgot pic.
>>
>>2807795

Or you have the altenative of making a "tiered" dungeon order that rids of this problem altogether:

1. Choose between 3 basic dungeons at the start, each having puzzles pertaining to their own dungeon items.

2. A fourth dungeon that uses all of those together.

3. A next batch of 3 dungeons that combine the puzzles with the new items you get in each of those.

4. An 8th, 9th and 10th dungeon that uses everything in linear order.

And so forth. The issue here is that even although later Zeldas have linearity, very few of then use the "full puzzle potential" until the very last dungeon, so if we have a tiered dungeon order (giving a false sense of open worldness) it wouldn't be that much different than the last Zelda games.
>>
>>2799781
My fucking head
>>
>>2807795
>>2807918
Pretty good argument bro, but I already beat you to it.

Except.... except a tiered dungeon structure doesn't work. It still ends up the same no matter how you spin it. One could argue that ALBW offered this with the 2nd/3rd dungeon and then Hyrule Castle. Yet, the Twirly Leaf and the Power Mitts both neglected to influence the respective other dungeon.

Same with the desert dungeon. It is the only dungeon in the game that uses the Sand Rod.
>>
>>2805945
You actually can talk to the guy on the roof of Kakariko as a Child, if you side hop just right off the tower, you can land on the fence nearby and walk onto the roof from there.
>>
>>2806513
Doesn't the sinking lure forfeit any rewards and records because it's "cheating"?
>>
>>2808190
>you can land on the fence nearby and walk onto the roof from there.
If you let go of Z while in mid-air mind you. Otherwise Link won't land. He's cling unto the fence. But what I meant was, I think you were able to talk to him from the tower itself.
>>
>>2807641
Can you leave FH and Balamb and fight Solo as Irvine?
>>
>>2808210
Rewards, yes. But Nintendo put in safety measures. You can't get the Sinking Lure as an adult until you've acquired the acquired the Golden Scale, and you can't get it as a child until you've got the heart piece.

Records, no. You won't be able to keep the Hyrule Loach, but any other fish you catch is fair game. However, it will be recorded on the tank..[Caught with illegal sinking lure]
>>
The Pokerus in Pokemon SIlver/Gold/Crystal. It increases EV's earned or some stupid shit, but there's unique dialogue at pokemon centers. It's rarer than shinies, apparently.
>>
>>2807918
Sorry I couldn't respond, I was at work.

A tiered setting has been thought of and it also does not work in the sense of dungeon progression. It creates more "freedom", but carries it's own set of flaws.

I don't agree with what >>2807969 says fully. He is on the same page as me, but his example is flawed in that it only mentions an example which doesn't work, not explaining why it doesn't.

Tiered dungeon structure is basically half-assing your dungeon design to include nonlinearity, but ultimately only satisfying the meeker of the two parties. The flaw is that you still have to arrange and plan the dungeons according to your tier charts, but your progression becomes incredibly whack and unfun, and frankly a little boring.

Lets use your example. Lets use a 10 dungeon game which in a linear game has about 11 tiers. The extra tier is the final boss level of course. In the normal structure of the game, you advance 1 tier at a time in terms of difficulty, slowly but steadily increasing the difficulty, pushing the player in different ways as you slowly mix the complexity of the power ups together and teach them how to play your game. That's the standard progression.

In a tiered progress, you start out with 3 dungeons that are all at tier 1 and they never advance beyond that, because you can't program around the player's mind set. So now you bore the player for at least two dungeons, because they're fully ready for tier 2, but you have them at tier 1 for the early portion of the game.

Then you get to dungeon four, and you mix all of your items together, and you get an incredibly jarring spike of difficulty as the player who's been going through tier 1 dungeons now is at tier 4 with NOTHING in between to prep them for this. The other alternative is that you only advance the tier ranking just 1 more, and the player now thinks your game is for babies.

Design wise, it's an even bigger mess to half-ass it with tiers.
>>
>>2808210

Actually, if you go up and talk to the guy after finding the lore, he allows it.
>>
>>2808217
No, the Garden is broken at this point and is the repaired only after the concert. There is also no other way to leave FH (there is the train track but that only works in a cutscene).
>>
>>2808664
That's just flavor text. It doesn't change anything and any fish you catch will still be illegal. It's basically filler dialogue in place of an option to return the lure.
>>
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lob32ZoRYhQ
>>
>>2808628
Yes, Pokérus is MUCH rarer. Shiny rates were a 1 in 8,192 chance, while Pokérus is a 1 in 21,845 chance. It can be passed on from another Pokémon though, so once you have it, it's easy to spread.
>>
>>2808663
This raises the question, what's the point of freedom if you're forced to do them all anyway? So you can choose between doing the forest dungeon or the desert dungeon first. At the end of the day who cares, you'll have to do them all. How the hell is that freedom?
>>
>>2803059
The same thing you do with Genesis and SNES faggots.
>>
File: Enjoy the Magic.png (285 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Enjoy the Magic.png
285 KB, 600x600
>>2809007
It's not. The only game that supports actual freedom in play, allowing you the greatest amount of autonomy is TRPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. It simply doesn't exist in its pure form in video games. Instead, you have to divide "Freedom" in video games into three distinct parts that are most commonly enjoyed about freedom.

The first is cleverness. People who want free choice want to be rewarded for when they do something clever or figure out something unexpected. Like deciding to kill the councilor for no reason other than he's obviously evil, and having the story actually take that into account. This is the Freedom of Choice. The most common place you'll find this in is elaborate decision based RPGs and Roguelikes where you might be able to combine items in unusual ways because "the developers thought of everything".

The second is immersion. People who want a consistent, large, logical world for them to explore in and not be stopped by any bounds other than what would be logical, such as a cliff or a mountain or a river. I find these people rarely care about actual gameplay, and rather more about lore and world-building. They don't like it when a game stops them from moving forward for some obvious game reason, such as they get the a broken bridge, but are never given the option to try and cross it even if it would be stupid. People who like this tend to like huge, open-world RPGs such as Skyrim and Might & Magic.
>>
>>2809270
Finally, you have people who contradict the first two in being pure gamer mentality about it, but then you have puzzle solvers. These guys want to be placed in a huge world and left to their own devices to follow the paths intended and "solve" the game. The world map to them is just another large puzzle. They don't like linearity in its physical form of a singular hallway that leads to the goal. Instead, they like to be placed in a huge sandbox and want to explore and figure out the right path of their own accord. If there's a river, they're not concerned with the fact that your character can't swim. That is merely a quirk of the puzzle. Instead, they're concerned if any of the items they picked up allows them to cross it, and if not, where they could possibly get one. People who enjoy this type generally enjoy games like Zelda and the Souls series, or La Mulana.

Most of the people who want "freedom of choice" such as "I want to choose any dungeon in any order!" often times don't actually know what they want and don't understand that it creates design problems that effectively make the game worse for anyone who isn't the B type who enjoys immersion.

Ultimately, if you want freedom, your only bet is going to learn how to play D&D and get a group of friends to roll some funny shape dice with you. Otherwise, you have to learn which particular brand of "free" player you are and stick to games of those types.
>>
>>2799858
>>2804613
>>2804624
>>2804660

This is basically true of all early FFs (1-4); most specially-named or otherwise standout rods/armor/weapons will have a use-cast ability.

What I just noticed is that FFIV's elemental weakness/resistance seems to be backwards, as in Ice monsters/armor are weak to Ice abilities instead of healed by them. It even carries over into recent games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Neat, but frustrating as fuck.
>>
>>2804660
Gonna brain-dump some more shit here;

I just finished FFIV earlier tonight, having only previously played the american II release long ago in the past. I will say that IV's balance makes much more sense as I'm pretty sure the early game (pre-paladin) is basically tuned around solo-Cecil having his Darkwave ability, as well as all the odd Character-specific skills/single use-items in general, which was all dummied out of FFII. Edward/Gilbert is infinitely more useful when his bard skills actually do shit. Rydia is also more useful when you actually get her enemy-summon drops, as they're actually economical at that point in the game. Also the game is surprisingly grind-free. The most I did was some grinding around Mt. Ordeals to get the Twins up to speed (again, using darkwave) and then to get Paladin Cecil going. I remember FFII being balls-difficult, but this was practically a breeze. I mostly used flee through dungeons just to get to the bosses as fast as possible. Fuckin lodestone cave suddenly became a joke. The only real mandatory grinds are to have Rosa learn Float for the Eidolon caves, and maybe to have enough HP so Zeromus doesn't OHKO everyone with Big Bang all the time; Rydia's the worst for that; I gave her every HP-boosting item in the game and got her to LV50, and she still only had around 1970HP.

Oh yeah, I did learn one other thing; Bows can be equipped in any hand, but they should actually equipped to the character's off-hand, allowing them to draw with their dominant hand. Doing so gives them a significant attack boost. The game never mentions it.
>>
I played Mario 64 a lot as a kid and it's only many years later that I learned you could fix stretch points on mario's face during the title sequence.
>>
File: ff6_by_infinote-d5rzltg.jpg (190 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
ff6_by_infinote-d5rzltg.jpg
190 KB, 900x636
You can't break the curse on the cursed ring
>>
>>2805997
Square Enix is a publicly traded company. They owe it to their share holders to try and consistently make a profit. If localizing a game would guarantee them even the smallest gain they'd do it. If it's not done it's because they've done cost-benefit analysis and determined it would lose money.

Making money for yourself in a creative industry is hard enough, making money for a boardroom is a science. There's no room for emotions, nationalism or other politics.
>>
>>2797789
You can also beat it without a sword and shield.
>>
>>2810716
I'm playing FFII at the moment and I was wondering why it was so damn hard. Brainwashed Yang and the vampire guy with the sockpuppet hands both raped me.
Good to know it's because Squaresoft gimped my characters, rather than me just being bad.
>>
>>2809000
The fuck is with people who find glitches interesting?
>>
>>2804645
That's only the main square. Castle Town is meant to give the impression of being bigger than that.
>>
>>2799059
So is Saturn emulation still nonexistent or will playing as Maria be possible for me soon?
>>
>>2811101
i played through the game twice using Yabause. Worked liked a charm, except you need to use a specific video output in the settings for the east area not to glitch.

Since its Jap only, I recommend these sites to aid you in your quest :
all three pages http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp//sotnweapons.htm
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Librarian#Buying_Items
>>
>>2807795
Or I just make it so you cant even enter the damned thing without a certain item
>>
File: 185.gif (218 KB, 185x134) Image search: [Google]
185.gif
218 KB, 185x134
Some of the best and funnest weapons of Castlevania SotN like pic related..

Jesus Christ, that game never stops of amaze me...
>>
>>2798886
>idiots'
>'

Guess how I know you're retarded.
>>
>>2804531

I found the Chris Houlihan room by accident when I was 9 (so 16 years ago or so, maybe 15 and a half) and at the time I didn't know what the fuck it was, I jumped on Gamefaqs to look it up. (which was shit as fuck in 1999/2000)

I've been able to get into it a few times but every time including the first time I found it has been by falling through that hole near the river east of the Sanctuary and west of the Witch's house.
>>
>>2810910

Yang is right around the time where the game lets up on you a bit, then again Yang is also meant to have a kick that targets all enemies as well as his attack/defense buff abilities.
>>
>>2804531
You probably already know the story behind the room, it's actually an exception call from a bug they couldn't fix when warping incorrectly through rooms.
>>
>>2812367
>The bug occurs when the game detects an error in Link's Y coordinate. It is known to happen 2 different ways:

> By using a Bomb to knock Link into the lowest few pixels of the screen. Link can also use the Pegasus Boots to knockback himself backwards. Next, using the Pegasus Boots facing downwards into a screen transition, finding a hole, and dropping into it.
> Going into certain rooms (like the Sanctuary or the cave northeast of the Lost Woods) and dashing out of it. As Link leaves the room, the camera shifts down slightly. Then, Link must find a hole and stand next to it, setting a Bomb down and allowing the blast to knock him into the hole.
http://zeldawiki.org/Chris_Houlihan_Room
>>
>>2804512
I know it also works in Silent Hill 3: if you run out if ammo during the fight, the final boss instantly dies. Dunno what happens if you go in with no ammo. I understand the intent (pretty lame to not beat the game because you ran out of ammo), but that's an interesting way of preventing it.
>>
>>2811368
Yeah, SOTN gets my vote for best game ever made, just because of all the fucking hidden content and features in it. It's one of those games that I like to beat about 5+ times a year, and yet I STILL find something (or several things) new every single time I play it. It's fucking amazing. Nothing ever touched that level of depth until MGS3, but that's not retro so no talking about THAT...
>>
>>2810910
Yang would probably depend on whether you spent some time grinding Cecil before. I was so obsessed with that game as a young man that I once killed off the other members and leveled him up solo at the top of Mt. Ordeals after the class change. I must have done an insane amount, since when I got Yang back he was level 99. I assume this was because his level depended on Cecil's.

>>2811368
The random drops part of getting some of those interesting weapons was murder, though. Even luck mode didn't help that much for some of the rarer stuff. They didn't really need to make the non-game breaking ones so tough to get. Some people that have played it that don't have the patience for the farming end up missing out.

Of course, they decided to make it even worse for some of their GBA/DS games later on.
>>
>>2799059
I assume everyone knows that the sprite will sit on your shoulder, if you stand still long enough, and start singing. it actually changes the background music, regardless of where you are. when you start walking, and falls off with a shriek of surprise and flashes her panties
>>
bumpadump
>>
In Gunstar Heroes, Red and Blue fire horizontally at slightly different elevations. As far as I know, the only time this matters is against Pink Lobster. Red can hit it with the lightning saber while firing horizontally, but Blue has to aim diagonally.
>>
File: IMG_20151121_021727.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151121_021727.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>The Composer Bros will tell you about their secret mission if you read their headstones before getting the Sun's Song. If you only meet them afterward, then they will speak as if you already met before. A blooper in OoT.
>When you get the sun's song in OoT, one of two things will always happen. If it's night, it will become day, whereupon entering Kakariko Village, you will find it without music. If it's day, it will become night, at the time that Dampe's tour is going on.
>One of the four carpenters is in the potion shop as young Link, possibly flirting with the potion shop stud who is based on a Japanese icon. If you try to walk in on them from the backdoor, he will share some "juicy gossip" and tell you the foreman's son is Grog. This is the only way you would definitively link them as a child other than conjecturing from them being in the same place and their speaking ill of the other.
>If you take out Anju's Cucco(s) after getting her bottle, and talk to her the game will make a "Enkh" sound but nothing will happen, except she tells you to put them back or pay for them.
>The guy inside of Impa's house says you're rude for entering people's houses without permission, despite the guard outside saying it's public.
>In OoT3D, both Impa and the Lakeside Scientist own a mysterious green book with an eye insignia.
>>
File: IMG_20151124_223946.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151124_223946.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Actually scratch that last part. I literally JUST figured out what it means. It's a reference to the Gossip Stone tidbit about Anju working with the Lakeside Scientist on a cure for her goosebumps.

The Bible is right! Only by giving out to others do you get back!
>>
>>2797514

I thought all games did this. Depending on the game, but it has always seemed to be a common theme across other titles around that time.

I have a good muscle memory and I recall this happening in shit loads of games.
>>
>>2812461

Any character that leaves and re-joins will match Cecil's current level when they come back. Depending on how grindy you want to be, this can really fuck over Edge as he joins the party somewhere in his mid-late 20s.
>>
>>2809275
I have to admit, one thing that frustrated me about ALBW was the fact that in various situations, there was a completely viable workaround if you didn't have the item.

Don't have bombs? don't worry, every puzzle that needs a bomb has an enemy that, when struck, turns into a bomb. Using this is far more convenient than actually pulling out your bombs, even with the awful quick-select system.

Got the Sand Rod? Don't worry, you'll only be using it for one dungeon and for collecting a few hidden bits in the desert. If you actually wasted a Maiamai upgrade on it early on, then fuck you.

Speaking of, most of the Maiamai upgrades seemed arbitrary and worthless, more a checklist than anything useful. the only ones I ever found reliable were the Fire and Ice Rod upgrades. I never got to try them _all_ of course.

Also, I hated that the pegasus boots were in no way mandatory for the game. You can complete the game and never use them at all.

It was an interesting attempt, but they gimped themselves too much and dungeon design largely suffered for it.
>>
>>2808767
Ahh. It's been years since I've played FF8 so my memory was fuzzy.
Thanks.
>>
>>2811368
I've played through SOTN like 4 times and I've never knew you could do this.
>>
>>2798886
Wow, it's the most autistic reply I've seen in a while.
>>
>>2798940
They realized that Jessie waifu was best waifu when compared to the hooker, big tits, and kleptololi. They didn't want gamers to like her any more than they did because she died horribly. Hence no high res close up. Bastards.
>>
>>2804531
>How did people figure things out like this?
By fucking around till something interesting happens.
>>
>>2810779
Screw Shareholder Value.
>>
>>2799765
And that's not even his real name.
>>
File: 1444325088767.png (21 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1444325088767.png
21 KB, 512x384
>>2807795
I disagree. Think of Metroid. Arguably it is divided into dungeons (areas like Beinstar and Norfair) which aren't meant to be tackled all at once, but a little at a time. When you hit an insurmountable obstacle, you backtrack and find new places that weren't previously accessible.

Going farther, look at NetHack. All that is required to beat the game are some candles, and 4 largely useless artifacts. However the game manages to present some of the most deep and complex gameplay I've ever encountered.

I think your concept of game design is too narrow.
>>
File: 1448587034299.gif (79 KB, 601x602) Image search: [Google]
1448587034299.gif
79 KB, 601x602
>>2798886
>hint sites for years
>calling people underage
>>
>>2803067
I miss the days when Final Fantasy wasn't edgy anime teen boys The RPG
>>
File: 21805.png (327 KB, 631x461) Image search: [Google]
21805.png
327 KB, 631x461
>>2823619
>Going farther, look at NetHack.

I still don't understand why this game is titled "NetHack".

Does anyone happen to know why, or have something hidden inside deep within their anus, and are willing to share?
>>
>>2797760
>>2797546
>>2797583

The US guide sucked fucking dick. You bought it, then you had to sign up to a website and pay to use it.
>>
>>2823675
I'm pretty sure that NetHack is derived from the open source Hack, and was originally developed over usenet, hence being the net's hack, NetHack.
>>
>>2797785
why do the stars have dicks and balls?
>>
>>2824515
They're shooting stars.

get it
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.